Ayurveda/Traditional Chinese Medicine

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
Thought I'd throw this out here in a thread - I did a search for ayurveda and didn't come up with anything.

For those who aren't acquainted with the concept, ayurveda is the word used to describe the holistic approach to wellness practiced in India for thousands of years, and is based on principles similar to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Basically the idea is that your mind and body and spirit are an integral whole, and all three aspects of a person need to be considered to achieve wellness. I am not an expert by any means, so this is my layperson's interpretation. While I know that there are some aspects of ayurveda for which there's little or no scientific basis, "modern" approaches to ayurveda seem to be integrating science and modern medical approaches, so that ayurveda is used in a preventative fashion, but medical practitioners do not shy away from relying on pharmaceuticals as needed.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway... I am looking more into ayurveda as a lifestyle change. Some of the precepts I've read about so far are pretty simple and straightforward, like:

- Eat your biggest meal of the day at lunch, since that's when your digestive system is working at max efficiency. Take a 10-15 minute walk after.
- Do not drink cold liquids or eat excessively cold foods; your stomach has muscular properties and when muscles are cold, they contract and become sluggish
- Eat whole foods as close to the earth and as in-season as possible, incorporating a variety of spices, fruits, and vegetables
- Rise before the sun and spend daily time in meditation or prayer

And of course it's more complicated than this - there's a classification of body types (doshas) that provide more specific guidance of how to eat, and I did find as I was reading about the doshas that the food that was not recommended for my type is food that does, in fact, give me problems.

I just wondered if anyone on the board had any experience with TCM or ayurveda, or might want to have a conversation about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!