• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

[B]Critters and Creatures[/B]

delilah18

DIS Veteran
I have seen some post about there being a gap under the door and moderate and value resorts, does this allow bugs, snakes and other critters into the room have people found this be a a big problem?
Is this only on ground floor rooms or top and middle floor rooms as well

thanks

I don't think anything more than maybe a roach could slip in under the doors. I believe what most people mean is if you leave your door open, something might creep in, say while housekeepin gis there, they sometimes prop the door open.

I don't think it is that common. We have been on 15 trips and not once had anything in our room. I did see a tree frog one morning at CBR as I was hunting for our room at 4am, it jumped from 1 tree to the other. I don't think I would be hangind around outside of that resort after dark very often, it does have alot of over growth that I haven't seen at other resorts.

We saw lots of bunnies at Ft. Wildreness and plenty of ducks, bunnies, and squirrels at other resorts, but we haven't even seen a snake. Someone at Pop said they saw one slither across the walkway in fron t of us near one of the pools, but I never did see it.

Suzanne

There should not be a gap under the door or it would negate the energy efficiency of the rooms.

All doors have weatherstripping on the bottom of them.

I have never seen anything other than a cockroach in florida, but it is a different climate than up here in Canada, so it does not insuate that the hotel is dirty. And no worries about snakes and critters only at values and mods, they don't discriminate. :lmao:
I wouldn't worry about anything slithering into your room as long as you are not propping your door open. We actually used to prop our door open on our ground floor room facing the lake at POP:scared1:
Luckily, nothing ever slithered in.

As someone else indicated, there is a weatherstrip on the bottom of the doors at the moderates and values. Anything can happen at any resort; a couple of years ago there was a picture of a snake that was in a room at the Contemporary in the tower (yes, an "indoor" entrance and a snake appeared). We've stayed at a value once and a moderate nine times and never had anything but an occasional lovebug or fly from opening the door sneak in. So far, "Allie" the resident alligator at the CSR has not ventured in our room. ;)

I have never seen anything other than a cockroach in florida, but it is a different climate than up here in Canada, so it does not insuate that the hotel is dirty. And no worries about snakes and critters only at values and mods, they don't discriminate. :lmao:
I wouldn't worry about anything slithering into your room as long as you are not propping your door open. We actually used to prop our door open on our ground floor room facing the lake at POP:scared1:
Luckily, nothing ever slithered in.

No, they don't discriminate, that's right. My DH and boys saw a snake at the pool/Geyser area of Wilderness Lodge last August. Luckily I had stayed behind to shop at MK that afternoon. A lifeguard was following it to make sure it went off into the bushes. I'd be careful on a first floor patio and wouldn't leave any doors open.

"I have never seen anything other than a cockroach in florida, but it is a different climate than up here in Canada, so it does not insuate that the hotel is dirty. And no worries about snakes and critters only at values and mods, they don't discriminate. " Quote

I understand the comment about the cockroach, as I to am from Canada and understand that they are common in Florida, I just don't want any snakes or spiders inviting themselves in, because they would be most unwelcome:sad2:

There are def. cracks in the doors because you can see the daylight through them, but it's the side of the door, not the bottom. The thought of staying in a ground floor and the mousekeeping leaving the door open and then a snake slithering in skeeves me. We saw a snake at the computer pool a few weeks ago slithering toward the rooms. I had requested ground floor but then was glad I didn't get it.

We went in August and at night there were a lot of little gnat type bugs hanging out on our door (I guess because of the light), so when we opened the door they would fly in. Nasty, but what can you do!

The thought of staying in a ground floor and the mousekeeping leaving the door open and then a snake slithering in skeeves me. We saw a snake at the computer pool a few weeks ago slithering toward the rooms. I had requested ground floor but then was glad I didn't get it.

O jeez I wish I'd never opened this thread!

Snakes scare me to death i can't even look at a photo of one! Note to self if we stay at POP next year (which we are planning to do) then REFUSE a ground floor room!! (Even though I had been planning to ask for ground floor!)

Claire :)

Well, not to scare anyone-my son picked up a rather large snake on the path in Epcot and threw it into the bushes and our kids found a small scorpion on the bathroom counter in a ground floor room at All Star Music.

Even sent pictures of it to Guest Services because they didn't believe us either:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter