[B]Eastern: Trunk Bay VS. Megan's Bay or other?[/

Dis Mama

Earning My Ears
Eastern: Trunk Bay VS. Megan's Bay or other? Eastern: Trunk Bay VS. Megan's Bay or other? There are about 28 of us going ranging from ages 3yrs. to 60 yrs. Would you suggest The St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel Tour or the Megan's Bay Beach Break? ANYONE have any experience with these that you would be willing to share. I am looking for a beautiful beach, but also LOVE snorkeling. OR is there a better place to go with a large group? I was thinking with that many of us, an organized excursion would be better then getting a bunch of taxis on our own????

Thanks,
Lisa

Dis Mama:
I have not done either on DCL, but have been to Maagens Bay.
First Note-Maagens bay has been ranked 10 in the list of the world's most beautiful beaches while Trunk Bay was listed as 2nd. In your situation of having such a large group, I woul dstay with a DCL tour. I know you can do it cheaper on your own, but your are guaranteed to stay together and get back to the boat ontime with a DCL tour. Doing Maagens on your own means taking a taxi. While there is a plethera of them at the port, what guarantees that there will be one waiting for you when you are done at the beach? anyone else have input on this??? But comparing the two tours, Trunk Bay leaves at 7::40am while Maagens Bay leaves at 9:00am, this may be important to your group. With the St Thomas immagration check on board, you may not have much time for breakfast with the Trunk Bay. Does any in your party have to have a full breakfast due to medication?
Now while Trunk bay will have a nice ferry ride to enjoy, you will only have about 1.5 hours to swim & snorkle, not really much in my opinion. Maagens Bay, by the way I calcluate it should be almost double that. More beach for your money hear.
We plan on doing Maagens Bay in Fe when we go. :cool1:

We went to Megan's Bay on our own last year (the head waiter recommended we do it that way). St Thomas regulates the cost for taxi's so what DCL charges is outrageous. I don't think you'll have a problem even with a party your size as there were plenty of jeep like taxi's waiting for people to go back to the ships and they won't leave until they're jammed packed full!

As far as the beach itself - it is absolutely beautiful. We were told it was the calmest on the island also (we had small children with us). It wasn't too bad considering Hurricane Jeanne was churning up the ocean. We were told it was one of the roughest days at that beach by locals.

Good Luck with your decision.

I have been to Trunk Bay on St Johns but it was about 10 years ago... I am sure it has changed but it was SO BEAUTIFUL !!! It was one of the top 10 beaches in the world. It was very quiet and few people as well as the whole island. Like I said it may have changed. You have to take a cab or trolly thing down to it but it is so beautiful getting there. The island and waters are part of the national park so they told us at that time that is why it is not busy like St. Thomas. I would go back in a heart beat if we ever go to St Thomas again. So pretty. They had a place to rent snorkel gear there at that time.
Have fun, it sounds like you cannot go wrong at either place. Oh you have to take a boat ride back to St. Thomas or at least we did and it took quite a bit of time. It was small boat. Maybe they have better boats now :-)

SS

Trunk Bay involves taking a taxi to a ferry to a taxi to the beach/park, then a taxi to a ferry to a taxi. In order to leave early enough to not miss the ferry, build in some waiting time. Pretty soon, its 3.5 -- 4.0 hours in transit. Gorgeous setting, but it was a schlep. And taxis are more tedious when you are at the new dock by sub base instead of the dock at havensight mall, as we were in April--don't know where you will be docked (is DCL now regularly at the new dock?).

Magan's Bay was gorgeous, calm water, plenty of taxis waiting to take you back, especially when a group of 28 can pretty much fill two of those trucks that pass for taxis on St. Thomas. Y'all can do this on your own easy. And for the premium that DCL prices the Magan's Bay you do get that "peace of mind", but that premium x 28 folks adds up to some serious jack. You'll make it unless you push your luck.

I have been to both beaches, but never on a DCL cruise.

I am a diver, and I love to snorkel, so although they are both beautiful beaches, I would recommend Trunk's Bay over Megan for snorkeling. I am sure you will enjoy the snorkel trail at Trunk, but I found the best snorkel sites to be off the trail. With either choice, however, you will certainly have a great time.

On our cruise in 2002, my dd was only 4. The trunk bay excursion was limited to age 5 and up. We rented a car and went to trunk bay on our own and it was the best day ever! :cool1:

For sheer beauty and snorkeling, I'd pick Trunk Bay over Megans Bay. Reality check: Megan's bay is a few minute taxi ride from the port, through town - very enjoyable. You can schedule your taxi pick up. There are also more services on Megan's Bay - equipment rental, food and beverage service, etc.

Trunk Bay, while beautiful and great for snorkeling - we're SCUBA divers, too - you have to take a taxi ride to the other side of St. Thomas to catch a ferry to St. John then take another taxi to Trunk Bay and then reverse when you want to return. There is a ferry that will take you from the port, but it picks up passengers on the other side of the island before going to St. John and you lose a lot of time being ferried around St. Thomas to get to St. John. We were worn out upon our return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter