[B]Ever use Scooterama?[B]

graciepooh

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,
For our upcoming trip during the first week of Aug. My mother and I are planning on renting an ecv for my father. He had a very serious injury to his right side about 7yrs ago and has healed as much as he is going to. His doctor said he would not have operated on his foot if he new how crushed it was before the surgery. However, I am proud and sad to say that my father is very stubborn and has continued on as if nothing ever happened and he never complains, but it is obvious that he has to take breaks quiet often. He has never had an ecv before and is extremely resistant to the idea, as stated earlier he's very proud and stubborn. But the truth is that he will not be able to traverse the parks without many, many stops or the ecv. I am worried about how he is going to react to us having it there and will we be able to convince him to use it.
Eitherway, we are going to try. Has anyone ever used Scooterama? They seem to have a good rate and we can get the canopy which we will need. The right side of my dads body was damaged and when it healed the skin is very sensitive over those areas. I would love to know something about them before I book or any company that is affordable and reliable. Thanks for any and all tips!! Graciepooh

If you haven't already, check into the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. One of the posts on that thread has a list of the places DIS posters have used. Care, Randy's and Walker (in alphabetical order) are all used a lot and you should be pleased with any of them. Not as many people have commented on using Scooterama, but several have and were pleased.
I know Scooterama is a national company that was begun by someone who was frustrated not to be able to rent a scooter all over the US. I have read some good articles about the company and they sound very reputable.

Now, for the convincing him he needs to use one; this is a suggestion I have made a lot and people have said it works.

WDW is a very large place. Most people are not prepared for the amount of walking involved in a trip to WDW; just going around WS in Epcot is about 1.3 miles and the average person walks between 3 (for those who don't walk around much) to 9 miles a day
Find a familiar place that is about 3-4 miles away from his house. Ask him if he could walk there. He is likely to look at you as if you had grown a second head and tell you "NO". If he says he could, ask him how long he would take and whether he could do that (plus a few days where he walks there and back) every day for a week. Chances are that he will say no and then you can do an "advertisement" for an ECV.

Another way to look at it is having an energy account for use at WDW. Every time you rest, you put a bit of energy into the account. Every time you walk around, you withdraw some energy. If you withdraw too much, you can't rest enough during the day to make up for it (or it takes so much time to "earn" more energy that you can't enjoy yourself). If he uses all his energy account just getting around, he won't have enough left to enjoy himself.

Another thing that might be useful is to go to a large store like Target, Walmart or a grocery store and use one of the ECVs they provide for customers who need one to shop. Many people don't want to use on because they are afraid or intimidated. If he can get around in one of those, the ones in Florida should not be a problem at all.

Graciepooh,

I am only 52 but have used a scooter the past 3 visits over the past 6 years. I have back pain and arthritis in my knees. In previous visits I used to sit on benches waiting for my family to come back from doing things I didn't have the energy to get to. I would carry a paperback and just sit in the shade and people watch. I missed out on a lot.

I have rented from both Walker and Randy's and they were both very good in their service. I no longer sit on the benches. I no longer take a book to such a wonderful place. I am the one leading the pack..leaving them in my dust. There are a lot of people who use scooters at WDW. There are a lot of strollers too so people don't pay much attention to any of us. Ask you dad to try it for me....we need to stick together and I am now awaiting my own personal scooter to be delivered this week. I need my life back.

I called my mom over and had her read your posts. She went straight home and talked to my dad. She asked him if he could walk 3 miles a day and he said of course not so she then had him read your emails. That was all it took! Thank you so much for your words of wisdoms. I no-longer have any worries about our upcoming trip and I actually think Dad is relieved and looking forward to it too. THANK YOU!

::yes::
Tell him to have fun.
The first year my FIL rented an ECV, he said it was the first day in 10 years that he had actually enjoyed himself and didn't have to live in pain for the rest of the day.

Here's some pixie dust for a great trip. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!