B2B-EBTA, 7 Night Northern Europe

Suecot2000

Mouseketeer
Here, I sit in my living room with the realization that I've hit the 100 day mark. WOW!

In 100 days I'll be boarding the Disney Magic for the trip of a lifetime, the EBTA followed by the 7 Night Norhern European. If you are counting....that's 22 days onboard. Plus, the addition of a day at Magic Kingdom the day prior to boarding the Magic...now upto 23 days. Oh yeah, flying down the evening before my day at Magic Kingdom so that I can have a full day there...that makes a grand total of 24 days away from home. YIKES!

So, I'll be visiting a total of 9 countries and 2 continents. It will be interesting to keep a tally of nautical miles traveled. Note to self...try to keep a tally.

Ok, I've never done any type of trip report before, so this is a first for me. Right now my brain is bouncing all over the place with ideas of what to write. With that in mind, I will take a pause and continue after I've considered what direction my writing will head.

Be back in a bit!

Still getting accustomed to the new boards, I'm using my iPad to post and Still trying to figure out the picture inserting. Discovered something new today, so I'm going to try it.

Let me introduce myself.

Hi, I'm Sue
image.jpg

Here I am with my guy, and as you can tell huge Ravens fan and that I'm from the Baltimore area. For this adventure I'll be traveling solo, sort of. I'll be in a cabin alone, but traveling with some good friends of mine Robin and Angel.

(Ok, this is where I was going to insert a photo of them, but the file is too large. I'll have to wait until I get on my laptop of play around with some photos. Using my iPad right now.)

I met Robin and Angel via the DISboards when I was planning my B2B aboard the Wonder. The intinerary was Pacific Coast cruise followed by the Wonder's first ever cruise to Alaska. There was a post for tabelmates and since I was traveling solo, I figured "what the hecht". As it turned out, there were other "people that get it" out there like me and also doing the B2B. We've become Ohana, and they refer to me as "Our Sue".

Disney is magic, and has a way of bringing people together. Friends that we have met on the Alaskan and Hawaiian cruise will be sharing in the fun on the EBTA. It'll be great to see them.

Ah ha moment! Think I got the photo thing worked out. Let's give it a try.

So, last post I was telling you about Robin and Angel. Well, here's the photo.image.jpg

Success! Got it to work. And I used the iPad!

This was from our Hawaiian cruise on the Wonder. Robin and Angel are DVC, with DVC we were able to do a tour of Aulani. Beautiful place, if you ever get the chance, you gotta go.

Hard to believe that March will be the one year anniversary of booking the EBTA and Northern European. I remember that morning very well. It was the first day the booking was available for the recently announced 2015 itineraries. The three of us had picked out which cruises we wanted to book. Europe was on our bucket list and we wanted to tie in a Transatlantic crossing, we were just going to go under the assumption that the 2015 sailings were going to be the Mediterranean. To our surprise, the EBTA wasn't just the usual TA crossing but one that included a northern route with stops in Iceland and Norway and terminating in Copenhagen. Then, the cherry on top, the first cruise after repositioning a 7 night Northern European. Hands down, these were the two cruises we were going to book.

Bookings started at 8am on March 25, 2014. At least I'm pertty sure it was the 25th.
I just know it was a morning that I had to work, which does not bode well for sitting on hold for an extended period of time. Now, I work in a Microbiology lab aka bacteria, no cell phones allowed. My game plan, have my TA and myself call DCL to book. Hopefully, one of us would get thru.

At 7:55am I headed to my locker, grabbed my cell phone and dialed DCL. To my surprise, I got thru. Well I sort of got thru...I was on hold. At least it wasn't a busy signal. So, I waited on hold. Thirty minutes later, I was still on hold. But, I'm at work, I can't be waiting on hold that long. So I did the only thing that I could do, put the phone on speaker stuffed it in my pocket and head back into the lab. If you've ever been on hold with Disney, you are serenaded with Disney tunes. Just imagine the strange looks I got while working with Zippty Doo Da playing from my pants!

My singing pants continued for about another 20 minutes, when I heard a voice say "Thank you for calling Disney Cruise Line, how may I help you?" SUCCESS! I got thru, and in record time considering some of the marathon wait times shared on the boards.

Next post, conversation with Fairy Godmother.

Hello, this is your Fairy Godmother speaking.

To me, the lovely voice on the other end of the phone was my Fairy Godmother. This was who was going to make my wishes come true. Sorry, just don't remember the name of the DCL Castmember who helped me that day. From here forward, I'll just refer to her as FG.

First things first, FG had to verify that I was indeed Platimun, which I am. I proceeded to explain which cruises I wanted to book, of which I said the EBTA and the 7 night cruise after that. Red flag, FG informed me that she would only be allowed to book 1 cruise, no booking two cruises. But FG, they are both just for me, I'm not booking for anyone else.

FG put me on hold, more Zippty Doo Da music, except I'm not feeling very Zippty right about now. After receiving permission from Walt Disney himself aka her boss, FG herself was able to book my B2B.

Since I knew this was going to be an expensive endeavor, I choose an inside cabin on deck six. It was important to me to remain in the same cabin for both cruises, which we were able to do.

The TA was reasonably priced, considering its a 15 night cruise. But the 7 night was around the same price as the TA. I put the deposit down, took care of some details and said thank you and good bye to my FG.

My travel agent called me at 10am to tell me that she still hadn't gotten thru to DCL. I was happy to tell her that she needn't worry, I had everything booked.

Robin was also successful in his endeavors, also snatching an inside cabin on deck 6.

And that is the beginning of a trip of a lifetime.

My cruise history

As you have gathered, I am a Platinum Castaway Club member. This is something I'm proud of, although my savings account may beg to differ. Here's some numbers I'd like to share with you.

17 Cruises
132 days onboard
77 days aboard the Magic
41 days aboard the Wonder
7 days aboard the Dream
7 days aboard the Fantasy

So, yes I have completed a Grand Slam, been on all 4 ships in the fleet. Yeah, I'm a numbers gal, one of the hazards of working in a laboratory. Carries over into my personal life, at least I don't bring home the bacteria with me...lol.

The inspiration for deciding to write about my trip was everyone who is reading this one. You know who you are. You are the one that when you need that happy feeling you read a trip report. (Describes me to a T) There are two components to a trip report that I like. Written with a sense of humor (where would we be if we can't laugh at ourselves) and lots of photos. So I need to add more photos.
DSCN0863_opt.jpg

Just can't stop looking at the Magic

This upcoming cruise will be my first time back on the Magic since 2009!? Wow, hard to believe. It will be like returning home, except Dad did some major remolding. It just won't be the same as going back home. Will I like the changes, or will I be disappointed? Only time will tell.

Up next, remembering the Magic

Remembering the Magic

As I'm planning my "trip of a lifetime" I can't help but recall the first time I sailed across the Atlantic. It was the first Transatlantic crossing of the Magic in May of 2007. That crossing had 6 consecutive days at sea, my upcoming one will have, at most, 3 days at sea.

image.jpg

I was traveling with my friend and TA, Kelly. We managed to receive an upgrade from an outside cabin on deck 2 to a Navigators veranda. Score!

image.jpg

Although it was nice to have a veranda, the weather wasn't the best for enjoying it.
Let's just say, when you sail across the Atlantic if you hit a low pressure system you are pretty much stuck with it all the way across. So it went from this

image.jpg

To this.

image.jpg

How do you like the "old" TVs on the Magic?

Well, you know what they say "A bad day on vacation beats a good day at work" and that is true. We did manage to have some spectular sunsets

image.jpg

It's amazing at how much water there is on this earth. Imagine sailing for 6 days and all you see it water. There was Sargassum seaweed as we sailed across the Sargasso Sea. An oil drum floating by one day, and the highlight of the 6 days the spotting of another ship. It was the talk of the dinner table. After awhile, you get desperate for scenery.

Next up, Sea Day Fun

Fun days at sea.

Now I have to admit, the best part of a cruise...sea days. Time to relax, sleep late, and enjoy the amenities of the ship. Normally, I'm up at the crack of dawn, but there is something about six lazy days at sea that just makes you tired. In addition, there is the time change. Everyday we were moving clocks ahead an hour, and you thought you have trouble with daylight savings time. One morning I slept until 11am! I never do that.

Since it was a "special" cruise, Don "Ducky" Williams was onboard. He gave a talk about how he got started with Disney, plus he was drawing various Disney characters the whole time he was talking. A raffle was held at the end of the talk for the drawings he did. Also, as a gift, each cabin received a lithograph by Ducky.

image.jpg

Half way across the Atlantic a ceremony was held, kinda of like crossing the Equator for the first time.
First was kiss the fish.

image.jpg
Followed by pouring of the Waters of the Atlantic on your head

image.jpg

There was also a Mediterranean buffet on deck one of the sea days.

image.jpg

Now, TA 2015 won't have as many sea days in a row, but we will have a fair amount. Ducky will be on board, so I'm sure he will give a talk. I plan on doing a Mixology class, hope to catch a cooking demo, watch movies and just relax.

To be continued...

Sorry, it's been a while. Glad to see that I've had 200 views. Happy to have you along.

Here it is March 1st, and snow again in Maryland. Well, snow, sleet, freezing rain and just general YUCK. Have I ever mentioned that I hate winter, and yes, I realize hate is a strong word. Sometimes it just fits. To everyone in the Northeast, I feel for you. I'm sitting here whining, but you have it much worse. Come on spring. It's just around the corner. I'll go to the corner and look. (When my Mom would say that when I was little I thought I could literally see it around the corner. Silly me)

I left off reminiscing about my first Transatlantic, so I thought I would keep it up...I have pictures of that.

If you have ever done one of the "speciality" cruises on DCL you are treated to some special guests onboard. Panama Canal cruise, Susan Eagan. Played Belle in the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast. Tried to find the picture, but wasn't lucky, sorry. The Transatlantic, had these guys.

image.jpg

Boyz to Men.
They were not too happy with the rocking of the ship, but they gave a really nice concert.

I have a fantasy about the "speciality" talent that will join us in May...Idina Menzel. Come on, it makes sense. We stop in NY on a Monday, Broadway is dark on Mondays, then we travel to St. John's where she can disembark. We are traveling a northern route across the Atlantic and stopping in Norway, Disney is pushing Frozen. I guess time will tell. Wonder if we will get a Frozen deck party? It would be a great opportunity for DCL to test the water, so to speak.

Next post, Land Ho

Land Ho!

After six days at sea, everyone was happy to see that land actually existed. Our first stop Tenerife, Canary Islands.
image.jpg
It's always a special occasion when a ship makes it first call to a port. The welcoming committe.
image.jpg

Our excursion for the day, visit to Mt Teide. Remember the bright sunshine, well this was our journey up.
image.jpg

Our drive took us thru an euylaptus forest, OMG what an incredible aroma. Wasn't too happy with the fog, but it made some dramatic photos.

image.jpg

Creative shot
image.jpg

As we got to higher elevations, above the cloud layer, the skies cleared.
image.jpg

We were told by our guide that because of the lunar looking landscape, some of the Star Wars movies were filmed here.
image.jpg

Some more photos
image.jpg

image.jpg

Pretty little chapel. Was definitely was one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.

I gotta go feed the cats now, boy they can be a pest.

Hey, if you are dropping in to read drop a post and say hello.

Cadiz, Spain

Now, it's been too long to remember all the details about my previous TA. For example, was there a sea day after Tenerife? Not that it matters.

Second port of call, Cadiz Spain. Thru DCL, I booked the Andalusian horse show and winery tour. Sorry, no pictures of the horse show, photography was not allowed. Do have some photos of the winery tour.

image.jpg

Just love wine tasting.

image.jpg

Wonder how long it would take me to taste all of these wines?

After the excursion, still had plenty of time to explore the city. We did a HOHO bus tour, walked around close to the port.

image.jpg
Best that I can recall it was a Sunday, so not much was open. But, there must have been something going on that involved Flamenco Dancers. There was a lot of women walking around in brightly colored Flamenco dresses such as this.

image.jpg

How great she was to pose for a picture! Very nice people in Cadiz.

I have really gotten off the track from a PTR point of view. So, let me give you some details of what is to come.

Today is the 60 day mark for ship departure day, but 58 days til my departure from home. Have a 7am flight on the morning of May 13. I'll be meeting up with Robin and Angel at the airport in Orlando. Pick up the rental car and head over to Shades of Green for a two night stay. At some point on the 13th we plan to go shopping to purchase supplies aka beer and other libations for the cruise. Ok, don't judge, 22 days onboard would be one heck of a bar tab. I hope to meet up with friends who, well, practly live in Magic Kingdoms' back yard. If you sit in their hot tub you can see MK fireworks...cool.

May 14 is our park day. We'll be heading to MK for the day. I haven't been to WDW since I spent a few days there before my Disney Dream cruise, which may be five years ago? Well, just let me say visiting the parks is so different now. Magic Bands, FB+, My Disney Experience App, it's all so techy now. It seems like gone are the days where you could just wing it. We would pick which park we would go to based on what bus pulled up first to the resort we were staying out. It was kind of fun that way.

I do have a wish list for things to do in MK. Lunch at Be Our Guest and ride 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. Not much of a list, but this is what's new since the last time I visited. You would think more would be new after 5 years, but I guess Disney spent all their money on the Magic Band system. Anything else I get to do is a bonus.

Almost forgot, on Wednesday we hope to spend some time at the Poly. Who knows, maybe some drinks at Trader Sams? Excited to see the changes.

This morning I got an email from Robin. Yeah! We'll be having lunch at BOG at 1:15pm...score. FB for 7DMT at 2:40pm...slam dunk. Also, got a FP for BTM and Jubgle Cruise. So, all in all, it will be a good day.

New Fantasy Land also has a Little Mermaid ride that is cute with some interactive games while in the wait line.

There is a meet and greet with Little Mermaid also.

Belle has a story telling experience which is audience participation and has a magic mirror which is pretty amazing.

The circus section has a pretty good store in the "big top" with some amazing candy choices in the center where some friends watched caramel corn being made.

The new double Dumbo ride with an indoor air-conditioned play area for kids to play and adults to sit is across from the Big Top.

Between those two places is a splash area which is good for adults if the day is hot and Goofy's Barnstormer rollercoaster is still there.

Also the secret path to Tomorrow Land.

Hi Jan
It will be fun to be back at WDW, it has been a long time for me. I have been to DL twice since my last visit to the World. I'm sure everything will feel new to me. Thanks for the tips on other things that are at the "New Fantasyland".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter