Baby carrier

tink20

DIS Veteran
Our granddaughter might be going with us on our Disney trip in June. She will be 11 months old. We have a stroller to use (that reclines). Do we need a carrier?

Our party would consist of myself, DH, 16 yr old DS, DD & her husband. So lots of help with the baby. Any extra advice welcome, it’s our first time with a baby.

We've taken babies around that age and younger and I really liked having the carrier. You can stash it in the bottom of the stroller when no one is wearing it. And it's great for standing in line. I had babies nap in it, nap on the ride in it, etc. And sometimes they're just overwhelmed and want to be held, and in my experience it's easier to hold them in a carrier and have your hands free. It doesn't take up much space so I'd recommend it.

It really depends on if the baby in question likes it and is used to being in it. I have 4 kids. My boys loved the carrier--we used the Nojo baby sling (not sure if that's still available) from birth. By about a year, though, both boys were outgrowing riding in it, and just used it as their "love object". We took our youngest to WDW when he was 6mo, and the sling was a life-saver--he could peek out at the world, but then when he needed a break, we could just pull it up a little to give him a little cocoon.

OTOH, my girls hated that thing (and any other type of carrier). By 6 weeks old, my younger DD simply refused to be in it. My kids go girl-boy-girl-boy, so I didn't do anything different with the middle girl. She just didn't like it!

If your DD has a carrier, I suggest she try the baby in it, well before the trip. If it's something the baby is comfortable in, by all means, bring it. But if it doesn't work out for your DD, for whatever reason, then you know, and don't need to fret. I think you'd be okay with just a stroller, too--my kids weren't big on strollers, I have to say my sons, at least, logged way more hours in the sling than a stroller. My girls preferred to walk! They were very much "me do it" kids.

I highly recommend a light weight ring sling such as the taylor made batik ones. I used mine for carrying my children, as a lightweight cover to protect from the sun for naps in the summer months, extending the shade on a stroller to help cover little feet.

We always take carriers with us with little ones. My favorite is Tula! We have a Tula toddler now. My youngest is 3 and she still gets in it occasionally. Very little at this point bc she is so busy. She walked a ton in October at Disney. She's not a stroller kid either, but will use it when needed at Disney. Carriers are so helpful in lines! Arms get tired and they get sleepy.

It highly depends on the child. We are also going in June and my youngest will be 10 months when we go. Bringing our ergo is a no brainer. I don’t even like going to the grocery store without it. We will be bringing a stroller also, but my son really loves the carrier and it’s way easier for me, too.

This is one of those “it depends” questions. My son liked the carrier, but wouldn’t nap in it. Also, he was ~27 lbs at 11 months, and it killed my back to wear him for very long (I’m 5’3 and 112 lbs.). He loves his stroller and I use it whenever I can. We took him at 18 months and just used the stroller, and it worked fine for us.

My son was in carriers much of his first year of life, it's the only way I got anything done! Even now, I took one for his 3rd Birthday WDW trip, which was great for parades and fireworks to give him a higher viewpoint on my back. For a baby, I'd definitely want one for lines and napping on the go.

I always bring a carrier for mine when they're under 2-2.5, depending on their size. It doesn't get used a ton in the parks but it is VERY handy to have for longer lines or if they need to be carried while sleeping or anything.

Soft carriers are fine if the child is used to them; WDW is probably not the best place to try them out for the first time. They are most useful for ride lines, where strollers normally cannot go.
I always liked a sling best, because it can be worn onto the ride with the child moved to the side to avoid any safety bars. Slings are also useful for toddlers as a way to take weight off your arms while holding the child on your hip. (If a ring sling is thin, you can also use it as a walking rein by looping it around Jr. like a belt.)

Note that framed carriers are not allowed on rides, so if you use one in the ride line you have to abandon it at loading and wait for the CM to bring it to the ride exit after you get off. (I don't recommend framed carriers for theme parks at all, because it's a PITA getting kids in and out of them frequently; those are best for the kind of long hike where the child will stay put in the carrier for hours at a time.)

I agree with others that it really depends on the child... Some kids like baby carriers and some not so much. (Or some like it at a certain point and then decide they hate it! This was my story.) The only thing I will say that in June - it might be a bit too hot for the carrier.

If the baby has never been in a carrier at home I am not sure what level of success you would have on your trip. That said, we are big fans of carriers here and rarely if ever used the stroller during DS's first year. We have a Tula which is worth its weight in gold. Highly recommend getting one and using it regularly at home before the trip. They really are awesome.

I would bring it. When we took my youngest at 7mo, it was critical for waiting in lines. You can't take the stroller in line, and my arms would get tired just holding am 11mo for that long.

My second hates the stroller so she’s mostly in the carrier. It is nice in lines, as well. She is used to riding in it a lot at home, though. We have a Tula.

We went when ODD was 11 months old. The Ergo for us was a must have. We did use it a lot at home also, so we were all used to it. I love the convenience of carriers. I had the aforementioned Ergo and also a Beco Butterfly (which they since discontinued). I think they are great!

I had a hip carrier from One Step Ahead back when DS was a toddler. - I loved how tiny it folded up when not in use! It was wonderful for Disney, but I agree with PPs on trying it out at home first.

Using a carrier always makes me so hot - when my daughter was 9 months I used one on a December trip and it was too hot for me! Since then and with my younger daughter I just went with the stroller, carry/pass around method. Enjoy your trip!

I plan on wearing in our Tula. I will have a 13 month old at the time of our trip in June. I wear her alot though. And It was hot on our trip to Virginia Beach in August. I found just putting water on her and myself held up nicely for keeping us cool enough. She was 3 months old at the time. I also am taking a stroller as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!