Baby won't sleep in public....disney in two months. Help!

monica9

DIS Veteran
my almost 11 month old won't sleep in public. She won't nap in baby carrier or carriage. Only really in her own crib. Takes a lot to get her down even in a crib as someone else's house! Don't understand because we didn't the same things as we did with our older daughter who slept everywhere. Guess that's why they say each kid is an individual.
Anyway, we are going when she just turns 13 months old. We are staying at AKL so to take breaks in between is going to be difficult everyday and might just be a plain waste of time since we don't even know how she will do in the pack n play at the resort.
What can I possibly do besides bring her favorite lovey to hold and her pacifiers?
FP are coming up so I need to really think about our park days at this point. I understand a plan can all go down the drain but I like having one and then being flexible
My husband has no problem leaving the resort to bring her back but I don't think that's fair to him. We also have our dd9 with us.
Here's what I have so far without fp planned until next week:
Day 1-
land at 1pm
Nap
Epcot around 4
Day 2-
Disney springs at night so can nap earlier
Day 3-
Check in to AKL
HS at 1
ADR at 2
8:30 fantastic (nap in park?)
Day 4-
Rope drop mk
Parade at 2
ADR at 6
Leave at 9 ( not sure if we should go back to resort that day)
Day5-
Resort all day until MVMCP at 4 until midnight if possible
Day 6-
Ak at rope drop if we can't get FoP fp
ADR 3pm
Back to resort 7 pm early night
Day 7-
Rope drop Epcot
ADR 11:30
Back to resort until 3 for hopeful nap
Epcot until 11
Day 8-
Mk either early and back to resort for 2 hours or not go until noontime and stay until 11 EMH
Day 9-
Leave

I don't want too much downtime for my older daughter and don't want younger daughter over worked. I'm just hoping she gets so tired she can't help but sleep.
What would you or have you done?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds a little like my story - we were there in April with my (at the time) 13 month old son and five year old daughter. We stayed at AKL.
I'm confused about your plans though, if you're checking into AKL on day 3 where are you staying on days 1&2?
My son is a handful and I was worried about how he'd do, he also wasn't walking at that time and he will not take a pacifier at all. He was actually pretty good all things considered. He did end up sleeping in his stroller (which is not something he usually does), but I think the combination of the Disney stimulation and long days wore him out a bit. We didn't do Disney Springs and only went back to the resort for a break on two days, and this was only bc we went back out to see Wishes and Illuminations. No way I'd go to a park, go back to AKL, and then back out to a park again every day with a baby, but I know everyone is different with this and some people have very easy babies :) The AKL busses were very good but on those two nights coming back from fireworks he was very tired and fussy. I planned out ADRs for breakfast and lunch because I know he gets cranky around dinner, although we did do an early dinner at Boma one night on our AK day. My daughter enjoyed the poolside movies at the resort every night.
We are going back in Feb and staying at the Poly bc I want the convenience of the monorail, we will be able to see the EWP from the resort so I'll only go back into MK one night for Happily Ever After. My husband and I can take turns taking six year old DD out around the resort in the evenings if the toddler isn't able to keep going.
Only you know if your youngest will be able to make it until 11/12 at night. I personally wouldn't do this with my son but that's just because I know he wouldn't be happy about it.
I also tried to plan out fast passes that we all could enjoy together - he liked Small World, the safari at AK, spaceship earth, frozen ever after, the seas with nemo and friends, and the Disney junior show at HS. We used the rider swap at all of the FPs I had that he couldn't go on.

Thabk
Sounds a little like my story - we were there in April with my (at the time) 13 month old son and five year old daughter. We stayed at AKL.
I'm confused about your plans though, if you're checking into AKL on day 3 where are you staying on days 1&2?
My son is a handful and I was worried about how he'd do, he also wasn't walking at that time and he will not take a pacifier at all. He was actually pretty good all things considered. He did end up sleeping in his stroller (which is not something he usually does), but I think the combination of the Disney stimulation and long days wore him out a bit. We didn't do Disney Springs and only went back to the resort for a break on two days, and this was only bc we went back out to see Wishes and Illuminations. No way I'd go to a park, go back to AKL, and then back out to a park again every day with a baby, but I know everyone is different with this and some people have very easy babies :) The AKL busses were very good but on those two nights coming back from fireworks he was very tired and fussy. I planned out ADRs for breakfast and lunch because I know he gets cranky around dinner, although we did do an early dinner at Boma one night on our AK day. My daughter enjoyed the poolside movies at the resort every night.
We are going back in Feb and staying at the Poly bc I want the convenience of the monorail, we will be able to see the EWP from the resort so I'll only go back into MK one night for Happily Ever After. My husband and I can take turns taking six year old DD out around the resort in the evenings if the toddler isn't able to keep going.
Only you know if your youngest will be able to make it until 11/12 at night. I personally wouldn't do this with my son but that's just because I know he wouldn't be happy about it.
I also tried to plan out fast passes that we all could enjoy together - he liked Small World, the safari at AK, spaceship earth, frozen ever after, the seas with nemo and friends, and the Disney junior show at HS. We used the rider swap at all of the FPs I had that he couldn't go on.
you for your comments. Very similar to us!
I would never keep her out that late if she doesn't end up napping. She'd end up sick! I'm just hoping if she sleeps in the baby carrier or stroller for a couple hours 2 x a day while at the park then we can make it until late. Ideally I'd like her to fall asleep while I wear her in my carrier by 9 pm each night and just have my husband go on the rides with dd during EMH. I already know her schedule will be messed up for the week but it will be fine as long as she's getting close to the same amount of hours per day of sleep regardless of when the sleep is. I know she will get back onto her schedule once back home because she loves to sleep. I have awesome noise canceling headphones she used for 4th of July fireworks that she kept on. Hoping she will keep them on and sleep! It's all about the noise

Also, we are at all star sports the first two nights since it was cheaper to do that than fly out two days later

I brought headphones too just in case - turns out he loved the fireworks and had no interest in wearing the headphones! I had my ergo with me and used it in the airport but didn't take it in the parks, it was too hot for me to wear during the day outside, but if your daughter can nap in it during the day that will definitely help. The pool at AKL is also awesome so if you did end up with more resort time it's definitely a good place to be, plus there are tons of activities for kids going on every day.

I brought headphones too just in case - turns out he loved the fireworks and had no interest in wearing the headphones! I had my ergo with me and used it in the airport but didn't take it in the parks, it was too hot for me to wear during the day outside, but if your daughter can nap in it during the day that will definitely help. The pool at AKL is also awesome so if you did end up with more resort time it's definitely a good place to be, plus there are tons of activities for kids going on every day.
Yea I wouldn't mind more resort time. We always stay at nice resorts and then never actually "stay" there. We are going December and it's been hit or miss with the weather in the past for us but hoping to get a pool day

First ... deep breaths... our ODD would only sleep in a dark quiet room in a crib or pack and play. We survived our first trip to WDW where we stayed offsite AND took afternoon breaks. Most recently, we now have 2 kids, a 6yo and an almost 2yo, and sometimes it worked for us to be out together, and sometimes it didn't. If you're thinking of staying out *really* late, you may find even your 9yo may benefit from some afternoon quiet time. But also don't completely write off the idea of you splitting up. If your older child is doing height restricted rides anyway, then it's not like the whole family is riding all the rides together anyway. You can always get a rider switch and take turns each day switching off who takes the baby back to the resort, if you decide to do that.

By the way, on our first trip with our ODD (granted, she was a toddler then and only on 1 nap a day), we'd get up early, hit the parks from rope drop until around noon, DRIVE to our condo near Sea World, have a quick lunch and do nap, and come back to the parks around 4 or 5. It's not commando style, but it worked for us.

First ... deep breaths... our ODD would only sleep in a dark quiet room in a crib or pack and play. We survived our first trip to WDW where we stayed offsite AND took afternoon breaks. Most recently, we now have 2 kids, a 6yo and an almost 2yo, and sometimes it worked for us to be out together, and sometimes it didn't. If you're thinking of staying out *really* late, you may find even your 9yo may benefit from some afternoon quiet time. But also don't completely write off the idea of you splitting up. If your older child is doing height restricted rides anyway, then it's not like the whole family is riding all the rides together anyway. You can always get a rider switch and take turns each day switching off who takes the baby back to the resort, if you decide to do that.

By the way, on our first trip with our ODD (granted, she was a toddler then and only on 1 nap a day), we'd get up early, hit the parks from rope drop until around noon, DRIVE to our condo near Sea World, have a quick lunch and do nap, and come back to the parks around 4 or 5. It's not commando style, but it worked for us.
Thank you for you comments. My 9 year old does so well at Disney. We once calculated walking 19 miles when she was 7 and she didn't complain once! Any day that we do late night EMH, we are going to the park a little later or going back to the resort. I just hate the fact that I don't know if she will nap or not so it might be a waste to go back but we will have to take the chance.
My husband doesn't like big rides and my older daughter and I do. He has no problem going back to the resort but I personally don't think it's fair to him even though he's saying he won't care. He probably would enjoy the quiet time to do his fantasy sports stuff online anyway so maybe he's hinting for the break lol. He also said we can find a quiet place in the park so get her to nap. We will see. I'm hoping she is so overtired that she passes out in the stroller with the headphones to cancel out the noise.

We've stayed at AKL in the past when we had little ones, and we came back for nap everyday to use the crib. We got to parks for rope drop and left the parks around 11:30 or so to head back to the room. Then after nap we would go back to the parks and come back in time for 8:00 bedtime. It can be done!

We have older children and younger. My DH and I switch on and off for naptime. So one day I'll bring the little one back to the room for nap, the next day he does it. The other parent spends some time with the older kids at the park! It works out well.

I had worried like you on first trip in 2016. DD was 13 months too, would sleep in her crib at home at night, and most of the time DH would hold her for naps because when he'd put her down she'd immediately wake up. She'd never done the pack and play so I wasn't sure how that would go. First day there we went to Animal Kingdom. DS and I were riding Kali River Rapids while DH stayed with DD. We come off the ride and he shows me she's asleep in her stroller! We brought a light muslin blanket so we threw that over the top to keep the sun off her. Even with all the noise she took a good nap. We planned on going back and taking a break, but ended up staying until park close. When we got back to our room she passed out in the pack and play no problem. The rest of the trip was pretty much the same. She'd either nap in the stroller or we'd go back to the resort because everyone else was needing a break and she'd nap either on a bed or in the pack and play. Pretty much every day we did park open to close, but my kids are also early risers (will wake up at 7 regardless of bedtime, unless they're sick). They can defiantly surprise you.

Here's a few things I'd start doing which will probably help you out - and at the very least, they can't hurt! If you are going to use a pack & play crib at your Disney hotel, buy some pack & play sheets now and try to use them in your daughter's crib or let her use them as cuddle blankets. Have her snuggle for sure with them at least 5 days at home right before your trip - then DO NOT wash them! Let them have her scent & your home scent on them when you bring them to Disney. Then put these blankets onto the pack & play so it at least smells like home. Also, buy an inexpensive sound machine We have a couple that were less than $10 that have a variety of sounds - we like crickets & ocean waves. Start playing this quietly during her nap time & bed time in her room - your goal is to help her start to associate these sounds with sleep. Then pack the sound machine too, and play it when you want her to relax & sleep in the hotel room. Lots of luck to you!

Great ideas everyone. Thank you! I'll definitely be bringing pack n play sheets that I'll have her play with beforehand and will bring our sound machine for sure.
I am going to try to rearrange a few things on our trip before fp's this Saturday.

My kids were non-sleepers as babies and toddlers. They did not nap in a stroller. They would not nap with "quiet time, dim lights, etc." To fall asleep they literally have to run out of steam and pass out.
In Disney they would sleep in my baby sling. I think it's the snuggliness plus natural walking motion. If your little one usually will not sleep in the carrier I would try wearing her facing you and with curled up legs or legs around you. (No dangly legs)
I also love the suggestion for priming the pack n play with sheets prepared at home. Great idea!

My kids were non-sleepers as babies and toddlers. They did not nap in a stroller. They would not nap with "quiet time, dim lights, etc." To fall asleep they literally have to run out of steam and pass out.
In Disney they would sleep in my baby sling. I think it's the snuggliness plus natural walking motion. If your little one usually will not sleep in the carrier I would try wearing her facing you and with curled up legs or legs around you. (No dangly legs)
I also love the suggestion for priming the pack n play with sheets prepared at home. Great idea!
Thanks. Why I dangling legs? Because of circulation reasons or because it doesn't help them fall asleep?

My twins like it to be dark when they go to sleep so when we are at Disneyland I put them in the carrier and then go to turtle talk with crush or something similar and ask if I can stand in the back. I sway in the dark and they are usually out in minutes and my older kids are entertained too. I am not sure what the dark attractions are at Disney world, we are just now planning our first trip, but I am sure they have something similar in all the parks.

My twins like it to be dark when they go to sleep so when we are at Disneyland I put them in the carrier and then go to turtle talk with crush or something similar and ask if I can stand in the back. I sway in the dark and they are usually out in minutes and my older kids are entertained too. I am not sure what the dark attractions are at Disney world, we are just now planning our first trip, but I am sure they have something similar in all the parks.
Good idea with the dark buildings. There are a few in Epcot.

With this, just make sure to take into account the size of the child. OP has a 13 month old. My son was 27 lbs at 13 months. There's no way I could have worn him on my front for the duration of a nap. My back would have been killing me. OP, just make sure you're comfortable wearing your kid on your front for a long duration if you decide to go this route. It's a great idea if it works though!

With this, just make sure to take into account the size of the child. OP has a 13 month old. My son was 27 lbs at 13 months. There's no way I could have worn him on my front for the duration of a nap. My back would have been killing me. OP, just make sure you're comfortable wearing your kid on your front for a long duration if you decide to go this route. It's a great idea if it works though!
I know. My back hurts when I wear her now and she's only 22 lbs. she's almost 11 months so I'm thinking she will gain another few lbs. she loves it though and it's the one place she doesn't cry. She's been crying lately in the stroller because she wants to be held so I have to carry her in it when shopping. Oh boy. At least I'll have my husband to take turns with me. My carrier can also be used as a backpack carrier. I'm going to test that out tonight.

I have been to Disney 4 times. I am a single mom so our first visit with both girls were 2&6. I brought our pack n play for DD2. My kids were amazing sleepers so no problem. My youngest would sleep in her stroller so when she was asleep it was a good time to go in an air condition shop and look around or go get a treat and sit for awhile. the first trip my DD was 4 and we ran like crazy people trying to fit everything in we could. Big mistake. For this trip when the girls were 4&6 we built in days to spend at our resort,swim take naps and walk around. We also planned a day at downtown disney. We only went to 2-3 parks each visit. We are also not early morning people so we would not get to the parks until around 11 and stayed until close. I think your DD will sleep just fine. Just take is slow and enjoy your time. We knew the we would be going back many more times so we chose what to do each day and just be laid back about it. Have an amazing time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!