"babyproofing" rooms

new mom11

Mouseketeer
Will be taking our 17 mo DS for his first trip in a few weeks. Staying in a 1 bed BCV. Any ideas on how baby friendly they are? Does Disney provide for any of this/have kits you can request? I have no problem with taking outlet covers, plastic cabinet locks, etc just to be sure. Any experiences out there?

We've stayed at BW and OKW with our kids. I bring outlet covers from home and make that the first thing I do. I check the cabinets in the kitchen, but if I recall there were not dangerous or breakable items down low and I did not have any trouble with what was in there. The only thing you may want to move is the dish soap and diswasher detergent, there is plenty of room in a high cabinet for those. You might want to remember to lock the bathroom door behind you, as they usually have lever handles and my DD really surprised my cousin one day when she opened the door on him. Depending on how tall your little one is doors may be an issue. I never asked for a kit, but found that with my own outlet covers we were fine, the rooms are pretty family friendly to begin with.

One piece of toddler proof advice that we learned the hard way is to drap a towel over the bathroom door when it is not shut or in use. Most have these little button locks that little ones can push in easily. Our DS ,then about two, slamed the door shut after he had pushed the lock and locked us out of the bathroom. We called for someone to come unlock the door but it took forever(we were not onsite at WDW) and we had to leave as this was our last morning.Ended up leaving all our stuff in there. DS could have just as easliy locked the door with him inside!! WE after that just hung a towel over the top of the bathroom door at all times, but it could be removed to shut the door if an adult was inside. Another caution i also tried to be aware of was the balcany door. Sometimes they are unlocked on check in so always double check and always keep the stick at the bottom in the door to prevent opening. I have even, when DS was little and we were quite high up, put a piece of furniture in front of the door that we could move to exit but he could not. just a few things to keep in mind.

jordan's mom

Bring a little bit of duct tape to put over the door locks if your child likes pushbuttons, or stuff some folded paper into the hole on the strike plate of the bathroom door. Of course, doing this means that no one else can lock the bathroom door, but it beats getting locked in/out.

those button locks used to be openable from the outside if you had something long and thin to pock in the hole, I have used a hairgrip (bobby pin?) before.

quick tip - if your child is used to a nigh light bring it along. We learned the hard way, many yrs ago!

These are great tips! We are heading to POR on April 7 - 15th with our dd who will be 32 months old.. A very precocious 32 month old!!! I would have never thought about the door thing!:D

Thanks so much, everyone, for the great tips. I'll use them all. Can't wait. Only three weeks to go!

My daughter just turned 1 at our last trip. We stayed at All-Star Movies and did bring outlet covers with us. We forgot a nightlight and kept the bathroom light on...but a nightlight would have been better.

I didn't think about the bathroom door lock. I'll be sure to do the towel or duct tape trick when we go down next time! That would be horrible if she locked herself in the bathroom!!!!

Even if you don't have them at home invest a few dollars in doorknob covers. Saftey 1st makes a great one. I was terrified when my dd were little thy would open the door and be down the hall of a hotel in a flash. They are easy to put on and off so you don't have to wory about housekeeping getting locked in if you kept it on. The towel over the bathroom door is a great idea for baby not getting locked in, but I put a doorknob cover on the bathroom door to keep my 2 little chemists out of the bathroom.
I brought post office (thick) tape with me and put a piece over every open outtlet, that way I didn't need to wory if I had enough covers with me. Also bring some rubberbands to keep cabinet doors closed (loop around the 2 knobs). or use the post office tape to keep cabinets closed. It gives you the extra 10 seconds to stop the little ones from doing what they want to do and comes off easily. Bring your baby monitor if you want a few minutes in the next room or on your balcony after your little one falls asleep. Be sure to put any blind/curtain cords over the top of the curtain rod.

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter