Back after our trip to OKW+HH+ a Private affair

jjcollins

DIS Veteran
Well we spent a week at our home resort OKW and stayed in building 55 in a ground flor studio - right beside the pool. OKW seemed to be very busy judging by the amount of cars parked outside the buildings. We noticed a couple of differences since we were last there - toasters and irons. Very useful DW said! We went to Olivias for breakfast and dinner - had buttermilk pancakes for breakfast and mahi mahi for dinner with the best dessert I've tasted there - an apple pie with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. Hmmmmmm. And, of course, lots of pink lemonade.

Then it was off on our long drive to HH. We left about 8am and got there for around 2:30pm. We'd only one stop off at the Georgia visitors centre and then ran into a very bad accident just outside Savannah where two people died. It was so sad to see all their belongings strewn along the road.

HH - chill time!! We hired two bikes out for the duration of our stay - $50. We used them to cycle back and forwards to the beach house which is about a mile and a half each way. We stayed in a one-bedroomed apartment with brilliant views over Broad Creek marsh - building 18.

At this point I would like to say that my DW and I are still married - I was chilling, having a Bud on the balcony when DW kindly comes out with the offer of some Dorritos. Happy Days!! However, as she doesn't want any bugs to get in the rooms, she closes over the balcony door to keep them out ------ and it seems, guess what, US!!!!!! The door locked behind her and when she tried to get back in again, couldn't! The bedroom balcony door was also locked. So, here we were, sitting one floor up, chilling (I don't think) with the light fading and not a sinner in sight. No LOL here!!!! After about 20 minutes with DW's legs swung over the balcony continually saying it wasn't her fault and that she'd jump down the 15 foot drop to get help (yeah - of course she would - and I've got a dodgy knee so I couldn't go!!) a man appeared. DW yelled for him to call housekeeping and tell them we've got locked out on the balcony which he duly does........ it gets better ........ housekeeping turn up at the front door, which we can see from the balcony only to find that DW has put the slide lock on the front door....LOL... I wasn't really!!!!!!!! Now what???!!!?? Well, five minutes later we heard the sounds of a siren getting closer to the resort. As an ex-firefighter my feels of sheer embarrassment were starting to get the better of me, but as quick as the siren came, it went again and as light faded further we contemplated our evening ahead on the balcony. Around half an hour later a person appeared around the corner with a big smile and few words saying that he'd get us back in. True to his promise we were back inside within 5 minutes. After a new lock had been installed on the door my DW informed me that the previous one had been dogdy which is why we got locked out. So she says anyway!!

We went to Beaufort and Hunting Island. At Beaufort we stopped off at a gallery which sells watercolours by a local artist and bought some prints to take home. Hunting Island was a bit disappointing. There were many trees downed along the beach front which made it look as though a hurricane had just been through and the beach was very quiet.

We pre-booked A Private Affair with Chef Gordon and had a lovely evening. We had Daufauskie Island Crab Cakes to start with Devils Elbow sauce and accompanied by a chilled Chardonnay. For the main course I had Sea Bass with a white wine sauce and DW had a creamy garlic pasta with scallops and shrimp. We had a Sauvignon Blanc with this course. Our dessert was a fondue with cake, ice cream and pineapple pieces to dip in a wonderful chocolate sauce. Champagne with brandied peaches was perfect with this. Gordon was a great host and I would thoroughly recommend to anyone....One thing we'd recommend though is to pre-book him in advance...... especially if it is for a special ocassion and you'd like a specific night.

We also tried out Tommy's treasure hunt and had great fun. We got the last piece of treasure but replaced it with four new pieces.

It seemed as though as we'd only got there and it was time to go home again.

jj...........;)

Wow, that all sounds wonderful, except for the balcony bit ;). That meal with Chef Gordon is making my mouth water...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time there JJ, HH is a nice resort and makes a pleasant change of pace to WDW.

Thanks for the report JJ.
I am looking forward to visiting Hilton Head sometime in the future and the Private Affair will be high on my list of things to do.

Kev

Thanks for telling us about your HH experience - makes me even more determined to get there one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter