MAYBE A MAY TRIP?? 3 WEEKS SAPPHIRE FALLS 2021

Schumi, keep your fingers crossed. Orlando has over a quarter million people out of work that need to get back to work. Our governor is all about opening the state and tourism is our number one industry here.

You'll like TUI, we flew one of their subsidiaries to France in October and it was an excellent experience.

Yes, I found the pink gin!
I mixed it with fizzy Sicilian lemon Italian soda. So yummy and refreshing!!
Thx for the great recommendation Carole!

Yay!!!!!

It is one of our favourite long refreshing drinks.......yep, got to be a fizzy lemonade! I`m so glad you liked it......

I have two bottles coming today with our grocery delivery......got to keep the supplies up!!

Schumi, keep your fingers crossed. Orlando has over a quarter million people out of work that need to get back to work. Our governor is all about opening the state and tourism is our number one industry here.

You'll like TUI, we flew one of their subsidiaries to France in October and it was an excellent experience.

:welcome: along SCDizFan.......

Good to see you!!!

It`s funny as they are an airline we would never have used to fly within Europe.....so many bad reports from folks I know that have flown them, but internationally they seem to have a good reputation.

Glad you had such a good experience with them though, that`s good to hear.

Oh my goodness, the unemployment situation is horrific. I know 2 people personally who have lost their job in the hotel industry and it`s horrible. I think Orlando would love to welcome us back, but the flight ban is making it impossible for us, and maybe not lifted till the very end of the year which means another trip not happening.

I guess our positive is, we will have all our flights paid for next year......lol.....always a silver lining!!!!!

Hope you`re doing well and managing ok in this mess........:wave2:

The salon I use, I`m not sure if they are going to open up with all the restrictions they will have to implement. The owner is frugal to say the least, her stylists are all lovely and I hope for them she does, but won`t be surprised if I`m searching for a new salon. there are certainly a few in the next towns to choose from, the other two in our small little village aren`t ones I`d choose to use......far too trendy a
Sounds like Tom needs to start watching ‘how to highlight hair’ videos on YouTube :). Haha hope u sort it all out. My salon is no longer since the JCPenney store closed. Don’t even want to start that search for a new saloon. lol i left the autocorrect, a saloon may be just the ticket!
The HR just isn`t for us at all. There`s something quite cold about it and almost too cool for us.......as I`ve said several times, it doesn`t feel like a resort to us the way the other hotels do. But they do have the best onsite steak restaurant for us. The actual restaurant itself is not my favourite, I`m not overly fond of the decor and it can be quite noisy. So, we always ask for a booth as it does seem a little less loud in them to the main floor area.
Hmmph JK it’s great there are so many different onsite resorts, something for everyone! We were ‘locked out’ of HRH for so long using the youfirst program (RIP), it’s been nice being able to book it again and not feel as though we were missing out on an upgrade.

The lobby is crazy noisy though, for some reason there tends to always be some screeching kid’s voice bouncing off the hard surfaces, with non-pulsed parents naturally

Great pics :)

But, he`s a superstar!!!!
With a world - class smile that really lights up the room
All of the states around us have high rates and we hope they don't visit here.
Reminds me of a commerical Ocean City, MD, was playing in our area that made me chuckle. Akin to stay home, we’ll see you when it’s time.

Sounds like Tom needs to start watching ‘how to highlight hair’ videos on YouTube :). Haha hope u sort it all out. My salon is no longer since the JCPenney store closed. Don’t even want to start that search for a new saloon. lol i left the autocorrect, a saloon may be just the ticket!

Hmmph JK it’s great there are so many different onsite resorts, something for everyone! We were ‘locked out’ of HRH for so long using the youfirst program (RIP), it’s been nice being able to book it again and not feel as though we were missing out on an upgrade.

The lobby is crazy noisy though, for some reason there tends to always be some screeching kid’s voice bouncing off the hard surfaces, with non-pulsed parents naturally

Great pics :)

With a world - class smile that really lights up the room

Reminds me of a commerical Ocean City, MD, was playing in our area that made me chuckle. Akin to stay home, we’ll see you when it’s time.

I`ll join you in that saloon.......🍻🥂 Oh my goodness, I couldn`t even begin to imagine how he would cut my hair if I let him!!!! Couldn`t even think about colour......I tried my salon again today and no joy......so still not sure what I`ll be doing! Let your mister know if we could fly I`d be setting up an appointment with him....😁

Yep, there is a resort for everyone. HRH has my least favourite lobby of any of the hotels.....well, maybe tying with Cabana Bay....lol.....

Thanks.....glad you liked them......and yes, I love my husbands smile a lot.......❤

Too much schmalz????? Yeah probably......::yes::

The pictures I have are of the Suite before it was updated so I won`t post them....well....maybe just one or two......

OMG those pics look like travel brochures from the 70's lol!! Awesome!! I find it funny that this used to be the norm. I wonder if one day we will laugh about the clothing and decor from today, although it doesn't seem as extreme lol

It is a real party size shower if ever there was one!

Wow that is huge! You could live in there lol

This is our usual beach just down from us that we usually go to.....if we kept walking we`d reach the other beach....although the tide may disturb us before we got there!!!

Wow so pretty! Nice that you get to be so close to that!!

July 4th brings restaurants, pubs and more importantly HAIR SALONS opening up again......

So exciting!! They just opened some salons this week here too. A lot are still closed because they can't confirm to the requirements. Same with patios at some restaurants.

They actually did extend our Canadian border closure now until July 21. I really hope that they don't extend beyond that. I know that it's for safety and the US is really scary right now, but my son goes to school in the US and really hoping he can go back!! It's in a small town so I worry less about his safety there than in Toronto where we have more cases!

OMG those pics look like travel brochures from the 70's lol!! Awesome!! I find it funny that this used to be the norm. I wonder if one day we will laugh about the clothing and decor from today, although it doesn't seem as extreme lol

Wow that is huge! You could live in there lol

Wow so pretty! Nice that you get to be so close to that!!

So exciting!! They just opened some salons this week here too. A lot are still closed because they can't confirm to the requirements. Same with patios at some restaurants.

They actually did extend our Canadian border closure now until July 21. I really hope that they don't extend beyond that. I know that it's for safety and the US is really scary right now, but my son goes to school in the US and really hoping he can go back!! It's in a small town so I worry less about his safety there than in Toronto where we have more cases!

lol.....yes, they do look a little dated now! But, they were very cosy and had such a warm feeling about them. And yes, the shower in the Presidential Suite was amazing!!!! We have quite a large master bathroom, but.....when I got home after that trip.....it looked very inadequate in comparison!!!

I do hope your son gets back to school. They are missing so much and even interaction with friends which is so important. Will keep fingers crossed for him.

Yes, it`s frustrating and doesn`t look good for borders to opne anywhere anytime soon. I haven`t heard much about Toronto to be honest, it all starts to merge into one after a while I have to admit! I forget who is low and who is high!

I still can`t find out if my salon is opening up next week......so I`m getting a little concerned. Most salons are calling their own clients first, which is understandable, so I`m not looking forward to having to find a new stylist if they don`t reopen.

But, good to see you and hope all is well with you and your family......:wave2:

Yay!!!!!

It is one of our favourite long refreshing drinks.......yep, got to be a fizzy lemonade! I`m so glad you liked it......

I have two bottles coming today with our grocery delivery......got to keep the supplies up!!

Pink gin you say?? hmmm Which brand? I think I would like to try that.

Pink gin you say?? hmmm Which brand? I think I would like to try that.

Nice to see you back queenofthehill......

It`s Gordon`s Pink Gin we always have. It just smells of strawberries when you open it.......and doesn`t taste like gin at all.....which is why we like it as we both dislike real gin.

They also do a Sicilian Lemon one, we haven`t tried that yet as it`s always out of stock! Soon as we see it, we`ll give it a try......

Hope you`re doing good :wave2:

I honestly can`t believe how quickly these weeks are going past!!!

June seemed to have lasted about 17 hours all in.....and now it`s July. I really thought with not really doing a lot of stuff, time would drag but it really hasn`t at all in any way. I think I keep fairly busy most of the time......although I do class being on the internet while enjoying a glass of wine as busy too..... :rolleyes1 That still counts as busy doesn`t it.........yeah.......

No changes in the flight ban this week, but I think Tom and I are both of the mind that even if it is lifted we are going to defer the flights to next September. We aren`t quite ready to do it yet, but looking at the way things are going in Florida and other places, it`s not a position we want to put ourselves in when it`s not essential.

Our travel insurance does cover Covid-19 as it`s a yearly policy and was in place before all this kicked off, but....if we turn up at MCO and our temp is high and they send us home, it`s a long way to go back. The thought of masks doesn`t really put me off, but Tom isn`t keen on that and hearing from people who are working around this right now, doesn`t instill much want for us to go.

The flights could still be cancelled of course, and we`ll probably wait for that.....we won`t ask for a refund as we`d be booking flights for next year anyway.

I think now knowing we have more or less made our own minds up, has made us a lot happier with this whole thing in our own minds. And that`s the only thing that matters is that we`re happy with the decision, and it does feel like a relief in a way and a weight has been lifted off. And a good walk along the beach is a good way to clear your thoughts which is what we did the other day.

We haven`t completely given up hope.....who does!! But, we are quite happy to think it may be Nov/Dec trip before we`re back now....
or maybe even May 2021 ::yes::

It`s been so sad to read of all the folks who have cancelled this past couple of weeks, or had their trip cancelled for them. It`s not nice to hear of that happening to anyone. I know we are so fortunate to have been so often and have several more trips planned in the next year, but for folks where this is a once in a blue moon trip, it`s even sadder. I know several folks who had this year planned as a first time visit or a "it`s been a while" trip to look forward to.

But, in chatting with macraven......I will keep this trip report going and may have to change the name again for a Christmas trip if we are allowed to travel then.....lol....

And in other news........in the UK our hair salons can open from tomorrow.......so, the one I go to is opening Monday the 6th......and I have bagged the first appointment for then.........

Genuinely so happy to be getting my hair done after so long......usually it`s about 5-6 weeks between highlights and cut, and sometimes a trim in between, so I know a lot of us ladies know what I mean!!!!

Pubs and restaurants are also opening up this weekend.....Super Saturday as it`s being called! Not quite sure it`s the best idea, but we have to start opening up places sometime. We won`t be rushing to go anywhere like that anytime soon. Tempting though it may be. Us and around 16 friends had thought we would be getting together tomorrow for July 4th, but, sadly, no large gatherings in homes yet......and most of us are still a little wary of gathering together after we have done so well these last months to stay distant and it just seems a little soon. We do all miss each other dreadfully of course, but we`re being terribly sensible......boring, but sensible......:)

Also starting to think about we need to start doing some of the jobs that we`ve put off during this time where workmen were also locked down......I`m sure there are plenty of things we can do. I know I`d like a few rooms decorated and some new flooring down in some rooms too. Our decorator is filled up to almost next year right now...so I may need to be patient!!

But, looking forward...

VIVO.........CITYWALK.........

I`m not quite sure why we never went to this place before last year. I`m maybe not the biggest Italian fan and hadn`t ever really found anywhere in America that I did like a lot for that style of food.......I won`t even mention Olive Garden!!!!! I was warned.......that`s all I`ll say.......lol.....

But, Tom quite liked the look of the menu and said one night he would like to give it a try......so that`s exactly what we did.

We have visited here three times now and each time we have sat at the bar and had our food. The first time was only because the wait for tables was too long, we don`t have a lot of patience for things like that, so the bar it was and we were glad we did as the bar staff including the charismatic Germany made our visits memorable. Good bar staff will absolutely make a bar....or can break it too. Thankfully we have always had the pleasure of always coming across good bar staff wherever we go regularly. And it makes for such extra fun when you have a good rapport with them too.......Tom and I could chat to anyone anyway, but we do love a good old chat while sat at the bar.

I don`t have a picture of the exterior of the building, so borrowed one from Google.....

The bar is over to the right as you enter the building and there are some hightop tables around the bar too, not many, but a few. So if it`s ever busy, this is another option.

i-MVwWQhM-X2.jpg

I like this bar a lot. It`s light and airy during the day, and still manages to have a cosy warm feeling when it gets a little darker in the evenings.

The same menu is on offer at the the bar as for the restaurant and although it doesn`t completely thrill me, there are a few timeless classics I could choose.....Tom was spoiled for choice as he is more an Italian fan than I am.

i-GgQCMM8-X2.jpg

I`m quite fussy with olive oil.....it`s got to be good quality and there are very few in restaurants I have enjoyed over the years, so I was pleasantly surprised by this one.....it was as fruity as it should be but with a good silky feel.....some are too watery or just plain bland.

The bread was quite nice too!

The wine they have is more extensive than I first thought they had on offer. They do have a good range of mid priced wines, and a nice selection of much nicer wines too. We stuck with the mid range ones here and we weren`t disappointed. And the option of a good few cocktails too. Can`t go far wrong there!

i-JmDtqcP-X2.jpg

i-tzV2mK2-X2.jpg

I say I`m not a huge fan of Italian food......I really mean in restaurants that aren`t authentic. I also make the best lasagne around, and it`s a little different to the ones on offer in America.....they just seem very different. So, it`s not something I ever order outside........yes, I think I am bragging a little here......lol.....well, my husband says I make the best lasagne, so I have to believe him......right???? :rolleyes1

But, there are a couple of dishes I will have.......and one of them is chicken piccata.......I adore this dish!!! I love anything with lemon in it, and capers I enjoy more than the average person............or so I`m told, never thought it was odd to like them, but according to some it is.....who knew!!!!

The way they cook it is just nice for me. Chicken has always been so tender, I also prefer to have it with a potato rather than pasta as they offer it here. The potatoes they have on this dish, I swear they were cooked in pure butter.......so delicious!!! And the lemon in the sauce was just perfect.

Which is why on our three visits, this is the dish I`ve had every time!!!

i-hCVzt6N-X2.jpg

Tom on the other hand likes to try a variety of dishes, and linguine, clams with chilli flakes and cooked in garlic with white wine was the first dish he tried here.......and loved it. Although he did say it needed a little more chilli. It looked a little dry to me, but it was so well cooked there was just the right amount of liquid to coat the linguine.......not for me as there was too much pasta, but a nice tasting dish.

i-mqsqCMH-X2.jpg

On our second visit, and this dish for me was the highlight of Tom`s dishes, was their 12 oz grilled pork chop....it was so thick!!!! It came with a gorgeous pear chutney, baby potatoes and Tom omitted the asparagus.....because......well, it`s asparagus.......can you guess neither of us is a fan!!!

You can have pork pink today, and I`m sure it would have been fine, but the chef asked how he liked it and the complete opposite of our steaks....Tom asked it be well cooked. I think he was a little worried it might be dry...that might be my fault as I do tend to overcook pork slightly when I broil them......that`s why we usually have them when he is grilling outside.....he is so good at it!!!

But, as they are professionals, of course it was beyond perfect. Juicy and so flavoursome which to me is quite hard with chops and pork steaks......but I did think, I wish I`d ordered that!!!!

And usually Tom will swap with me in a heartbeat if I ask......but.....he`s really not fond of lemon dishes in an entree!!! Dessert yes, but with chicken it`s a big no no for him.

This was delicious.

i-xqbjc3Q-X2.jpg

And yes, the poor quality picture below that is very blurry.....is indeed one of mine!!!

Three house made meatballs were his last choice in September last year, and probably the only slightly disappointing dish he`s had there.

They were a little bland and definitely lacked seasoning for our tastes. We do sometimes find food in the States a little too heavily salted, but I think they omitted it altogether here. And there was no real meaty meatball flavour coming through. It was also maybe a little too dense. The marinara sauce was nice, but again, I think my own variation of this dish is much better....yes, again....even if I do say so myself.....lol......

I think he`d order it again, but thought it was a little too large a portion......strangely for us!!!

i-M2hcxHL-X2.jpg

The bathrooms are to the back of the restaurant, and you can see back there they have a large open kitchen with more seating where you can watch the chefs cook all the food. There wasn`t a seat to be found around this area on each night we have gone in, so I`m guessing folks do enjoy watching the chefs cook!

i-R6sNXTd-X2.jpg

Quite a short update, well shorter than my usual ramblings.......but as we`ve only visited it three times, we don`t have a lot of pictures of it. One of the few places we don`t have loads!!

I checked my Smugmug account one afternoon I had time to pass and it seems I have over 60,000 images on there! Most of Orlando and New York, I didn`t realise I had quite so many. I actually have Kathy (aka klmall) to thank for recommending Smugmug to me when Photobucket started playing funny beggars a while back.......it does charge to host the images but at around $60 a year.....it`s a bargain!!! And the site itself is so easy to use.

Any problems you can email them, and anytime I had a question someone has replied within around 30 minutes or less. Not bad service. So, I think it`s worth it for picture storage. I`d never use Photobucket again!! Horrible site to navigate.

But, back to the food. We`ve never had dessert there and honestly we never had any room after our meals there, but, the desserts we saw going past us for others all look so nice.

This is one of the many places we are so looking forward to going back to again.......

I do hope everyone reading along is doing so well and moving along nicely in your own little part of the world wherever that may be and hope everyone is keeping healthy too......it`s been a trying few months for everyone......hope this nasty time is coming to an end soon, for all of us.....

Next update soon, hope you`ll all still be here........:wave2:

Well, I’m still hopeful the September trip does happen.

If it doesn’t, this report will be the prelude to the November trip report.

Thanks mac.....yep, I can see it having a couple of new titles before I`m done!!

if we turn up at MCO and our temp is high and they send us home, it`s a long way to go back

That would be horrible. I dont blame you at all. Crazy this is. Back in May, I had no doubt in my mind things would be better in September. 5 months until your next trip. Time like you said is going so fast, it will be here in no time.

But, in chatting with macraven......I will keep this trip report going and may have to change the name again for a Christmas trip if we are allowed to travel then.....lol....

Love me some Shumi Christmas trip reports.

I also make the best lasagne around,

RECIPE? Not particularly fond of Italian either. I do very little pasta. Sometimes a little spaghetti and lasagne. Usually end up getting chicken parmesan which is about as bland and boring as can be.

bummer:sad: on not going. But the smart and mature thing to do. (I hate being mature lol). If you were in driving distance or even a short plane ride away, possibly. But to come from so far and do all the prep you do, you deserve a better experience.

I'm here in Fl - you really don't want to be traveling here right now. So. Many. Belligerent Idiots. It feels like tensions are high everywhere you go. :sad2:

You'd still have a nice time and UO is doing amazing, from what I'm hearing and reading, at keeping guests/TMs safe, with those TMs facing too much unnecessary abuse and disrespect in the process. :worship:

But you'd be doing a lot of compromising with some discomfort and disappointments...plus the uneasiness of always having to be on alert, worried about distancing, disinfecting surfaces, etc. Not the relaxing vacation any of us deserve.

I'm still probably going to HHN if it's offered - likely with BOGO sometime in late Oct when it's hopefully cooler and the masks won't be as onerous - but I'm a 3 hour drive away. I can jump back in the car and leave if there's an issue, without too much time/expense wasted.

That would be horrible. I dont blame you at all. Crazy this is. Back in May, I had no doubt in my mind things would be better in September. 5 months until your next trip. Time like you said is going so fast, it will be here in no time.

I actually wish VA would just announce the flights aren`t going ahead right now......I hate uncertainty, and even though we are 100% certain we won`t be flying in September, until we see it in black and white, there`s always that doubt.

Yes, in May it did seem ok for September.....but, it`s just too uncertain right now, and we really wouldn`t want to be there anytime soon.

I have Christmas thoughts in my head already though.......:santa: ::yes::

Hope you`re all doing good Vicki in your little part of the world......:wave2:

bummer:sad: on not going. But the smart and mature thing to do. (I hate being mature lol). If you were in driving distance or even a short plane ride away, possibly. But to come from so far and do all the prep you do, you deserve a better experience.

I'm here in Fl - you really don't want to be traveling here right now. So. Many. Belligerent Idiots. It feels like tensions are high everywhere you go. :sad2:

You'd still have a nice time and UO is doing amazing, from what I'm hearing and reading, at keeping guests/TMs safe, with those TMs facing too much unnecessary abuse and disrespect in the process. :worship:

But you'd be doing a lot of compromising with some discomfort and disappointments...plus the uneasiness of always having to be on alert, worried about distancing, disinfecting surfaces, etc. Not the relaxing vacation any of us deserve.

I'm still probably going to HHN if it's offered - likely with BOGO sometime in late Oct when it's hopefully cooler and the masks won't be as onerous - but I'm a 3 hour drive away. I can jump back in the car and leave if there's an issue, without too much time/expense wasted.
[/QUOTE

Thank you for letting us know what it's like right now! We are supposed to drive down at the end of July, and I still have no idea if we should go or not. I'm okay with wearing masks and playing by the rules, but I am nervous about exposure and illness. We are supposed to go to SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens. If you have any feedback or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Yes, being an adult and making sensible decisions isn`t fun at times......but what can you do!

The thought of some of the restrictions right now are quite off putting and speaking to friends living over there, they have all said similar to you....it`s an awful long way to come for a lesser experience.

Funnily enough, someone did mention the tension around in places, and as we spend a lot of time offsite, it might not be the best idea. I agree, we all want a vacation to be relaxing and fun.....and I`m not sure Florida is any of those things right now.

I don`t blame you for still going to whatever is offered for HHN, if we lived closer we`d probably still go too.......we are suckers for the event..... ::yes:: and I truly hope you do get to go this year for HHN, living so close......absolutely go for it.

Good to see you......:wave2:

I know mac :(

Have heard from a few sources today, all completely unofficial that it`ll be soon that they announce no September flights.

I think we`d just rather hear it sooner rather than later......

And then I can book the place we found for a week in the middle of nowhere with Kyle for late September.....he can stargaze all week.....lol......but until I know we can`t go....I won`t book this gorgeous place yet!!!

You know me and patience......we don`t match well......lol......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!