Back East from Out West, our every 15 year trip to WDW... (edited April 2024)

Psymonds

Mouseketeer
Synopsis:

A Trip Report from our Florida Vacation: while we are Disney people, we are infrequent visitors to Florida, hailing from California. In multiple parts

Future Acts of report:

Act 1: Travel day that we’ll just forget about eventually
Act 2: Universal Solutions
Act 3: A Busch-y Interlude
Act 4 Day 1: MK
Act 4 Day 2: Epcot
Act 4 Day 3: DHS
Act 4 Day 4: AK
Act 4 Day 5: DHS 2
Act 4 Day 6: MK 2
Finale: A 4pm test track Lightning Lane and home in bed by midnight? Let’s do it.

[Edited:
Trip Highlights:
11 straight days of theme parks
1 Lost laundry bag
20 new roller coaster credits, 61 roller coaster experiences, 94 inversions
0 churros
5 new appreciations of Air Conditioning.]

Players:

Myself, Dad, engineer

DW, Mother, teacher (a new second career, part of why we were celebrating with the trip)

DS 14, Coaster enthusiast, proprietor of Coasterin California on Youtube, the other half of our celebration group, as he finished 8th grade this year

DD 12, Harry Potter enthusiast, avid reader

DS 6, theme park “expert”… for a kindergarten graduate (he had watched ride throughs of almost everything on youtube before hand). Opinionated stroller dweller.

IMG_4128.JPG

Prologue: Plans and Decisions

Being from the West Coast and coming out we had to make some decisions. We did approach this with the thought, as we had in 2006(! We were just babies! ) that “we aren’t coming back…. Well at least not anytime soon”

So we had to try to do everything!!!

(check’s earpiece)… I’m hearing it’s impossible (and expensive) to do everything and we have to set priorities.

What are we going to prioritize:
  • I came on here and asked for park and restaurants things that are different or unique to WDW over DLR (where we do go more frequently).
  • We also wanted to visit more of universal because it is substantially different than the Hollywood counterpart.
  • DS14 wanted to go to Busch Gardens Tampa because:
  • It has one of the best coasters in the country
  • It has 10 coasters available for coaster credits
  • It’s only an hour away (ish)
What is a coaster credit? (aside)

"Credits" are basically the amount of roller coasters someone has ridden, for those of you who don't know. All the rules about what is a “roller coaster” are subjective to interpretations and various people count credits different ways. A coaster is a ride which relies upon potential or kinetic energy to complete a portion of it’s circuit (i.e. not fully powered through the ride) and is not fully a water ride.

One person’s internet opinion are below:

-Dueling coasters are two credits as long as the two coasters do not follow the same path, are clones, or are mirror images (YES for Matterhorn and Dragon Challenge, NO for Gemini and Space Mountain at WDW) (personally I do count both sides of mirrored coasters, any unique track is a credit.)

-Water rides are not credits unless they feature banked turns (YES for Divertical and Journey to Atlantis at SWSD and SWO, NO for Splash Mountain and Journey to Atlantis at SWSA)

-Transformations are only new credits when an element is added or subtracted (YES for Son of Beast and Hades 360, NO for Rougarou and The Legend)

What were we not going to prioritize?
  • We do not have extra days for Disney Springs or other resorts
  • We are not going to prioritize fine dining unless it’s a unique experience. We have spectacular fine dining experiences in California near us and we just aren’t going to take park time for that.
  • We decided not to go to any other parks or attractions just to prioritize what we were doing in our time available
  • Funspot
  • Legoland (we have one which is probably better)
  • SeaWorld (DS 14 was given the either-or choice of SeaWorld or BGT)
  • No time to visit anything outside of Orlando/WDW bubble or to see any “real florida”
Planning odds and ends
  • Timing: we had 11 days. Last half week of June and first week of July. Is this an ideal time? No, but our choice was to go then or not go this year.
  • So, procedurally we had 3 ish days at Universal, 1 transition day and 6 days at WDW.
  • I get a great corporate rate for rental cars, so renting a car and keeping it for the whole time was cheaper than transfers for all of us, especially needing 3 transfers. It also facilitated BGT.
  • We looked at offsite, onsite etc.
  • We ended up using onsite for 2 nights at universal for the express pass and staying at CBR at WDW to do early entry (plus skyliner access for 4 days of our trip).
  • We flew direct SFO to MCO on Alaska. This basically takes all day on the way east and fortunately was late in the day (7:45pm) going home. We ended up doing an extra park day on our last day due to timing of the flight.

Questions to be answered on the trip:
  • Are we crazy for going in the dead heat of summer?
  • Can we make it through our schedule without quite enough rest days?
  • Will they ever find DS14’s clothes?
Tune in next week to find out.

Last edited:
Act 1: A Travel Day that we’ll just forget about, eventually.

So, Going West to East, you lose 3 hours.

And it’s a 5.5 hour flight, so this starts out as mostly an all day thing (it could be a red eye flight but as a family we don’t have a great history with actually sleeping on red-eyes, so that’s not a great start to vacation)

So here was the plan:

Wake 4:30am PT

Depart for SFO airport at 5am PT (in rush hour traffic but early) (having done the math, it was still cheaper to drive and park than to get a shuttle both ways)

Arrive at long term parking 5:45am-6 PT and take tram to terminal, check in 6:15 am for 8:15 am flight.

IMG_3690.JPG

So the first deviation from the plan is at 6:10 am when we’re checking in and they notify us that our flight is delayed until 10:15. Of note, when I went back and looked, I’d received some texts at 3am notifying us of the delay, but they had rolled to spam, we could have slept in.

However, they did get us a meal voucher, and we got some breakfast, played cards and enjoyed the relatively newly renovated terminal that Alaska uses at SFO. We almost never go to SFO, preferring the convenience of OAK but couldn’t find a good flight there.

IMG_3692.JPG
This new game, 9 innings, as learned on scout trek, being taught to us by DS14.

Got on the plane and started to push back.

BANG thump.

DW “what’s that?”

…..

Pilot “we appear to have broken our tow bar in pushback. We’ll get a new tug and push back as soon as possible”

45 minutes later, we pushed back.

And we got up in the air… Wooo!

As a somewhat frequent traveling family, we’ve all done 5.5 hours on a plane before, mostly to/from Hawaii, so we settled in. Got our books, our screens, our snacks. Etc.

I had pre-ordered some food from Alaska on the App. Going to Hawaii they usually have a hot meal, but not so for SFO-MCO (and frankly who knows for Hawaii, it’s been two years since we went last) I ordered one or two boxes for everyone. Given that we had eaten a breakfast and used the extra meal vouchers for snacks, we ended up with a bunch of food.

The picnic basket and fruit and cheese platter remain good, and a good value. The sunbutter and jelly sandwich was universally disliked. I had 3 meals (of the 8 or 9?) left over for much of the flight.

So we came around some severe weather over the gulf and landed around 7:30 or 7:45, having made up some time in the air, close to only 2 hours late….

HOWEVER, we came to a halt on the taxiway due to lightning in the area. “IT’S A HURRICANE” exclaimed DS6, as the front passed slowly over us. After about 90 minutes, we taxi’d to the gate a mere 4 hours late.

IMG_3694.JPG

Our dreams of a dinner at citywalk and a quick night ride on Velocicoaster were toast, and we were solely focused on:

• Feeding kids
  • Getting the car (which went smoothly)
  • Getting to the hotel and
  • Sleeping so that we can wake up early tomorrow
In the end, we received, unsolicited, a healthy voucher for future travel with Alaska, and we all decided to “let it go” and not let a rough start affect the rest of the trip.

We pulled into the hotel we had selected for a cheap offsite stay near universal around 11 pm.... and hoped our return trip would fare better. Time to recharge...

IMG_3700.JPG

Last edited:
Act 2: Universal Solutions

Not to say that we had a lot of problems, but I felt like we had a variety of things that were kinda weird with our first day, so we were looking to get back track. This is a long trip and we don’t want to burn out on our first parks! We were looking for some solutions,

IMG_3869r.jpg

Historically, as a family, we had not been to Universal Studios Florida. I had been once, 30 years ago. My sole memory was playing on Feivel’s Playground.

When DW and I came in 2006, we decided not to go to Universal because:

• There was not much there that was a big draw beyond what we had at Hollywood (I think at the time I felt the Hollywood one may have been slightly superior, because I really have a nostalgia for the backlot tour)
  • We didn’t rent a car, we took Magical Express and so it was going to be a hassle to get to Universal (interesting, eh?)
Anyway, So one of us had been to the Universal Orlando Resort before… and that was 30 years ago. We all got 1st visit buttons.

However…

In 2019/2020 we were passholders at Universal Studios Hollywood. Our Kids loved the Harry Potter offerings there and we had experienced most of what was there. Therefore we were prioritizing what was not available back home in California (But we might ride stuff if we got around to it). In addition, because “we’re probably not coming back soon” we had decided to stay at the Royal Pacific Resort for the two nights of our time there. We got the 3 days of Express Pass for 2 nights on property and that was great.

So, back to where we were.

Day 1

I have forgotten the name of the offsite hotel we stayed at that first night. We were there for 6.5 hours, and we got up, showered, got in the car and moved on.

After a quick stop for breakfast (wherein DS6 decided he wanted the hotcakes meal at the McDonalds drive through and I was entertained watching him try to scarf it down in 10 minutes in the backseat “no honey I don’t think we have any syrup”), we and our 3 bags of McDonalds trash arrived at the stately Royal Pacific Resort Check in.

We got all our stuff out (and left the car in the front because that seemed to be what to do) and went to check in. From the boards, I had expected to be able to check in and drop our luggage at the luggage services, HOWEVER, our room was ready! They did give us some flower leis as well. (they were plastic, so I declined but my kids love them).

In my 20 minutes in the RPR lobby I was reminded of the resorts we have been to in Hawaii, the lei greeting (although no Hawaiian resort would offer plastic leis) the tropical weather and the lush grounds. The resort did feel similar to Aulani (although it was not themed) but a more direct comparison I feel is the Grand Hyatt in Poipu. All it’s missing is the beach (and, well, being in Hawaii). So we dropped our luggage, parked the car in self park and went to the boat.

IMG_E3756r.jpg

A word on the boat:

The boat was lovely. A great ride each time and I never waited for it. However, I never waited for it because each night I just took the path home (except for our last night when we were going to Disney as a family and left a little early). After park close, DW waited for the boat each night and it took sometimes 2 or 3 boats. It is not a long walk to RPR and I recommend, if you are up for it, that you do not wait for the boat right after park close. If you must cruise back, maybe get a margarita from Mr Buffett’s plane or a Hurricane, frozen or on ice, sit, listen to the band and go back a little later. This was one of 2 or 3 times that DS14 and I, who had done a LOT of training for a scout backpacking trip, were happily ready to walk and the rest of our crew were trying to trade waiting for walking. Point being; you don’t need to take the boat but I’m glad it is there. Taking the boat was definitely NOT faster either in the morning or the evening.

Anyway, we got off the boat just after 8 and for the whole time we were there IOA was open for early entry at 8, and both parks opened to regular visitors at 9.

Got through a pretty decent entry line and into the park around 8:25 or so. Later than we wanted but still in early entry and got straight in line for a delayed Hagrid’s. I had watched some youtube commentary on Early entry and Hagrid’s so I was, well, not surprised that it was delayed. DS14 was antsy… he wanted to go on Velocicoaster. He had two goals for this 12 day trip, Velocicoaster and Iron Gwazi. So as we were waiting for Hagrid’s and it was stationary and not testing, he went to go single rider Velocicoaster. And this is par for the course for us with DS14 in parks. He needs to get footage for his channel, he wants to ride coasters, he’ll pick his spots to split from us but he also helps out.

IMG_3708r.jpg

Anyway, that took about a half an hour and he was able to rejoin us before we went through the gate past the lockers. Of note, we started our wait near the Sinbad show and we moved consistently for most of the time we were in line but it didn’t seem like the ride was testing or running for about 45 minutes. So most of our movement was the team members getting people slowly through the locker area and into the queue. Once through the locker area, we were able to select the single rider line. Since DS6 was too short and we were going to ride swap anyway, we viewed this as a great improvement. We got on around 9:30, DW and I swapped and we were done there quickly. Most everything else in the park took our express pass so we were sitting pretty.

DS14 and I went to Velocicoaster and DD12, DS6 and DW did Hogsmeade and Flight of the Hippogriff, DS6 had not been old enough to really do the magic with the wands last time we went to Hollywood, and he liked doing that this time. We kept the same pairings for some Seuss rides and Hulk and then met back up to ride the three water rides in succession, because it was HOT. DS6 was a trooper on Jurassic Park and really enjoyed the other two rides. He would not return to Jurrassic Park or Ripsaw Falls after having done them once, however. We did also notice that some rides the Express Pass line backs up pretty good. It took about 40 minutes to ride Ripsaw Falls. We also got a quick ride on Spiderman, and a quick re-ride because the effects didn’t work for us the first time.

Soaking wet, and having done most of Islands of Adventure we decided to pass on Kong for now and head to Studios via Hogwarts Express.

IMG_3766r.jpg

Studios has the part of the Wizarding World we don’t have back home (other than Hagrid’s, and the train…) and we were excited! We got into Diagon Alley and it was HOT and crowded. Not like, Adventureland at Disneyland crowded or MK fireworks crowded, but I couldn’t walk at a regular pace.

IMG_3737r.jpg

So we went to ride Gringotts and that was GREAT. DW and I rideswapped and both DS6 and I were dancing the potty dance by the end of the rideswap. There’s no nearby restroom (you’re in a vault of course) but we got it done. I will say… my 3D glasses fell off on the ride… like someone in maintenance will have to get them because they fell off my face and out of the car. That was a great ride and definitely a coaster credit.

After a little bit of exploring (but not a ton because, frankly it was hot and DS6 was ready for a ride he wanted) we went elsewhere. DS14 and I went on Rip Ride rockit because we needed the credit. It’s not a great coaster. I like the onboard audio and we were able to pick our song because we looked up the hack, but due to the small trains and the capacity needs there are just SO MANY BRAKE RUNS and it barely does anything in between. DS6 then wanted to go on Race through New York.

IMG_3846r.jpg
In the first post I noted he was our youtube theme park expert, he had watched a ride through and knew what he wanted… none of the rest of us knew what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised. We also did Minions which we have at home and then ate at the minion café. I liked my food but the menu was a little adventurous for some of our party. The cupcake was a hit.

We split at that point, DS 14 and I went back to ride velocicoaster one more time and DS6, DD12 and DW stayed at studios to do minions once more, go to the shop and head back to the hotel “early” making it a little before we got there.

Day 2:

Learning our lessons from Day 1, we were at the dock at 7:15, on the boat at 7:30 and in line at 7:40. We were off of Hagrids by 8:23. We rode flight of the Hippogriff twice and we were lined up at 9 to go rope drop Pteranadon Flyers.

You see… a roller coaster “credit” is a credit. Pteranadon Flyers is one credit, just like Velocicoaster, so DS14 was not going to leave it behind. And express pass doesn’t work there; so we were queued up to rope drop the kiddie coaster. BUT like many children’s roller coasters you gotta bring a kid to ride. Folks over a certain height aren’t allowed to ride without a kid. DS6 was happy to ride with all of us, but we hit a snag. DD12 isn’t allowed to accompany DS6 because he’s under 7 and she’d not 14… but she’s too tall to ride alone, so she was out of luck. After riding I let her know she didn’t miss much.

We checked that box and went to studios early. We hadn’t done much there on Day 1 and we progressed through Mummy, ET, MIB and Simpsons. DS6 loves simpsons (turns out he loves simulator rides more than any of us) and ET. He surprisingly did not ask to re-ride MIB. For lunch we looked at our options in SF and ended up at the Simpson’s cafeteria. It was not horrendous but it was probably our most mediocre meal on property. The Duff beer is mediocre, the pizza was mediocre, the chicken and waffle sandwich was mediocre. I felt bloated and tired coming off of that meal. We went after lunch to Fast And Furious, which, frankly is basically the same as in Hollywood, just on a party bus instead of a tram, then returned via Hogwarts express to IOA.

IMG_3769r.jpg

The Express line took about 45 minutes to get back. DS14 walked and rode velocicoaster single rider before we made it back. We went on popeye’s as a family and then got dinner. DW and DS14 had hoped to get kebabs but the kebab place had closed by 6:30. I ordered a gyro plate mobile order and got DS6 a burger at the Jurassic Visitor’s Center. Mobile order from 3 people back in line was faster than waiting for the register.

IMG_3765r.jpg

DS6, DW and I played around in Suess landing for a while while DD12 decided to wait for Hagrid’s one more time, and DS14 decided to ride velicicoaster again… DS6 and DW wanted to get a stuffed minion and took off for the front of park. DS14 and I rode velocicoaster, we waited for the front row, and, I have to say, I didn’t think front row would be as good, but it is a truly different experience with the unobstructed view. Not a bad row on the train and great operations. The Security and the lockers really do speed up boarding. That ride can get off 60 or 70 trains an hour, it’s spectacular.

Then I waited at the Hagrid’s exit for DD12. I got a butterbeer and a snack and I was ready to wait, but she was off at 9:10 and DS was off Ripsaw Falls (last log of the night, he claims) and we walked back. We arrived at the room at 9:30 to find that DW was still waiting for the boat at Citywalk…

Shower, Bed, Blister Check, sleep.

IMG_3848r.jpg
(sleeeeep)

Day 3.

So the adults in the group decided at night of day 2 that we were going to shoot to leave UOR shortly after dinner. There had been some debate about whether we were going to get everything in in 3 days but we felt like we were going to be done with these parks at dinner, having done everything we wanted to do.

Knowing that DS14 got up early and was 2nd or 3rd at the turnstiles for early entry. He was first on Velocicoaster, front row, and he spent most of the third day riding coasters, except… he took DS6 and DD12 for an hour so that DW and I could ride velocicoaster together that last day as well.

We took an extra 10 minutes getting ready and got the bags to the car, so we could check out. On the boat by 7:40, still before turnstile open at the park. Hagrid’s was down hard when we got there, they were diverting traffic from Hogsmeade towards velocicoaster for early entry. Since we had DS6 we went the long route and went to forbidden journey and then flight of the hippogriff (which he loves).

DS14 called to say he was feeling woozy, as he had just ridden Forbidden journey 5 times consecutively. So he backed off and took the kids while we rode velocicoaster. He and I met up for Hulk and then the others went to storm force acceleration. As Hagrid’s was still down we split early for the other park. It was 11ish and we had heard good things about the ice cream in Diagon Alley so we just went for it. Then it was re-rides on request, Fallon, Gringotts, ET, Simpsons, Minions, and back to IOA for some Suessing.

At this point the line for Hagrid’s was long but we hadn’t ridden today. So we buckled down and got in the posted 90 minute wait. We had single-ridered it before but the single rider line was equally long now. With ride swap and a short breakdown it ended up taking 2 hours to get on. I love that coaster BUT that was bringing back Old School theme park vibes where you had a LOT of sitting and waiting. DS6 was kinda turned of from any lines from that point forward in the trip. At this point it was 6:30 and we were ready to eat. DW had wanted a hurricane from Pat O’Brien’s all trip (or at least part of one) so we went for dinner. The Hurricane was great. The Food was ok (I liked my shrimp and grits but no one else really loved their food), and we were ready to go. Walked to the car and we were out.

We quickly left the Universal Bubble, which seems densely packed and tight together, got on the freeway to WDW and Caribbean Beach. We did the direct to room and our room assignment had come through earlier.

DW was a bit disappointed in a second floor room; it’s hard for her to get a sleeping kid upstairs, and initially I had wanted to be in a different part of CBR. Our room was 4-5 minutes from the skyliner station, and the bus stop, laundry and spyglass grill were all directly adjacent to our building. We got everyone in the room and DS14 and DD12 went in the pool quickly to cool off. It was after 9 at this point but we had made it through the last hotel move!

Overall

I really enjoyed our days at Universal Orlando. I appreciated using the Universal Express and we might have skipped some attractions or changed our approach without it. I think you can definitely do fine without it; we just wanted to get it all in.

I missed Kong, and that’s the only regret I have. We never made it a priority so we didn’t end up riding.

IMG_3749r.jpg

I think Islands of Adventure is the more complete park right now:

The Wizarding World has 3 attractions, all good and targeted at different interests; Jurrasic Park has 3 attractions, one world class, one good and one kids ride. The toon lagoon stuff is notable for being some of the wettest water rides known to man. The Marvel stuff fills out that side of the park and Seuss Landing is fun (But feels like it could use a re-painting and sprucing up in places). The Lost Continent is, well… Lost. There are no attractions, only restaurants and paths for queuing for Hagrid’s. There’s potential in this area but I also recognize that I think they’re land constrained against the other park.

Studios has a bunch of attractions but Gringotts is the standout. Mummy is a good effects coaster but not a notable roller coaster otherwise. Diagon Alley needs some places to sit down in the heat. Simpsons and MIB feel dated (but not as dated as ET) but all are fun rides. I can understand with transformers, Fast and Furious, Minons, Fallon etc, why they get a knock for “too many screens”. DS14 went to the bourne show and was disappointed. I did see part of the blues brothers and that was great! I’m not sure what that park needs but it’s missing something right now.

I like the proximity of Citywalk but nothing there enticed me to hang out that long. It was better tied into the parks than the Citywalk in Hollywood and certainly Disney Srpings.

This is certainly longer than I had hoped per segment so I’m glad I’m splitting up the other parks.

Last edited:
Act 3: A Busch-y Interlude

So there’s a Central Florida park consistently rated in the top 10 that started with a wildlife focus and has evolved to offer world class thrills as well.

Is it Animal Kingdom? SeaWorld? No!

2.jpg

it’s Busch Gardens Tampa.

What day is it…

Day 4

DS14 had lobbied hard for the inclusion of this. DW did not want to go “we have a six flags at home, I’m not going to ride those rides, I’d rather go to the pool”

So that was what we did. DW, DD12 and DS6 had a park reservation for MK and (since the marginal cost of another day is peanuts between 7 and 8 days) a ticket for that, but a plan that they would a) sleep in and b) go to the pool before going to MK.

Meanwhile DS14 and I got up early with the intent of driving to Tampa, getting there early and rope dropping everything.

Park open was scheduled for 10 (whoa, you could go to brunch!) but we arrived at 8:45, having clipped right across the state and being the third car in non-preferred parking.

When we booked on memorial day I had bought a “fun pass” because it was cheaper than a single day ticket, but it didn’t get us preferred parking. After the tram ride to the gate we found out that it did get us in at 9 am!!! There were about 40 people at the gate for rope drop and we just rolled in. We didn’t see or hear Iron Gwazi testing so we went to the right. Cheetah hunt, cobras curse (twice), then Montu 4 times in a row, then we saw Gwazi running and booked it back there. We rode twice before the line got longer and then decided to proceed around the park.

Since we had stated “we’re not coming back” we had given DS14 a quick queue for his birthday. It was more expensive than the ticket but he put it to use. At about 10:30 or 11 the lines were such that we quick queued everything rather than just walking in. I’m not going to go through all the rides but I rode 30 rides instances, he rode 34. I passed on the Serengeti flyer and on waiting an hour at the end of the night for one last rid on Iron Gwazi.

6.jpg

Highlights:

Food

Their “eat all day” plan is a steal if you plan to be there for lunch and dinner. They suffer a bit from that in that their lines for a lot of food places are long, and their mobile order often has a limited menu. The barbecue place was great but we ordered too much food. The pizza dinner was fine but looking out over the savannah was nice. In both cases it took 20 minutes to get food with relatively short lines; they were just not staffed for the capacity. It was unfortunately too hot to sit outside.

I also apparently missed that I could have gotten free beer. Even though there’s not a brewery on site anymore they still have free beer for passholders (one 8 oz pour a day?) off and on.

They had a great souvenier cup with a Nalgene like body and the sport sipper top and iron gwazi logo. It’s the only souvenier sipper that I feel like I’ll use at home.

3.jpg

Rides:

The roller coasters were the lead for this day, and I’ll rank them below, but there are some other rides and experiences of note:

The train is great and compares in scale to the Kilimanjaro Safaris. With the skyride offline right now it’s the only way to see all of the animals. The animals they have are not as extensive or well themed in area as the Animal Kingdom but I would not miss the train.

4.jpg

Their kids area is well themed and fun and they had a live show going when we were there for the kiddie coaster. We did not spend a lot of time there.

They have a bunch of primate exhibits spread around the park, and those are fun to walk through

Their raft ride (Congo River Rapids) was ok, but not on par with Popeyes for sheer drenching or Kali river rapids for theming.

The log flume is somewhat unique. There are some sections that flow pretty fast for an extended period of time, so it’s not just drift, lift, drop, splash. There’s no theming though, and it’s a very slow loader.

Falcon’s Fury is a tilt drop tower, you tilt forward and look down at the ground as you drop. We both passed.

They have a large stage show “icons” with a food area. The food court was backed up but it seemed like a good two for one show with food. We weren’t there for shows but if in search of A/C I’d do it.

Serengetti Flyer is a new large swing ride. Its slow loading, new, was a one time only on our quick queue and I passed because these pendulum rides are not my thing. DS14 enjoyed.

The skyride is a classic but is was in refurb.

1.jpg

Roller Coasters

• Iron Gwazi: world class roller coaster, speed, power. No roughness. Train 3 hauls. It’s fast, powerful and a wild ride. Rightfully a centerpiece coaster in the park.
  • Montu: the Best B&M invert in the country. Running great. Their ride ops are proud of Montu (DS14 was wearing a velocicoaster shrit and they asked over the intercom on our second reride if it was better than velocicoaster…. Which it’s not but it is in the same room) and rightfully so. Well run, well maintained best of it’s class.
  • Cheetah Hunt: a multilauch coaster which integrates into the area, and over the savannah. The unique use of terrain in the second half is spectacular and this has a great set of elements.
  • Sheikra: I had not been on a dive coaster before and it is better than most of the category because it has a second drop and the water feature at the end
  • Kumba : my least favorite of the “big” coasters
  • Cobra’s Curse – Unique lift, backwards spinning coaster, but not as exciting as, say undertow at Santa Cruz beach boardwalk.
  • Scorpion – a Schwarzkopf looper, which is hard to come by many places. I hit my knees against the padded seat pretty hard in the brake run, it has a loop and some helixes. It didn’t hurt too much.
  • Sand Serpent – a Midway wild Mouse… didn’t hurt as much as Goofy’s Flight School, probably because it’s not as big. They’ve already torn this down….
  • Air Grover – Kiddie Coaster. Kinda fun, not the worst.
At the end of the night they had fireworks!!!

5.jpg

But they close a fair number of rides for fireworks… which is a bummer. Their fireworks do not compare to Disney. We didn’t see any fireworks at universal.

They did re-open the rides before close for about half an hour and DS14 got one last ride on Iron Gwazi.

We got back to CBR at 11pm, ready for our early entry at MK the next morning and our 6 am alarm.

Last edited:

Day 5 – Magic Kingdom (will add pictures tonight, I hope)

WE MADE IT, finally, to the Disney Content!!

Initial planning:
We woke on time, targeting a 7:20 bus to MK to do EE, be at the rope drop before 8:30 and do Dwarves at rope drop.
  • Rope drop goal: SDMT
  • Virtual Queue: Tron. I wasn’t on the ball at 7:00 we missed out on VQ when I went on at 7:04. We did get it at 1pm.
  • Genie + First LL: (Initially I had planned to do Peter Pan, which is DW’s favorite, but DW had done it the day before and suggested that we do something else, so I got BTMRR.
Set reservations:

We had one big splurge planned for the trip related to the fireworks and I had hoped to get it at EPCOT for the 4th but struck out in reservations (3am PT 60+3 days in advance) on that, so we had booked the pre-party at MK for the fireworks on the 3rd (which is the same show as the 4th)

We also had a lunch reservation at Be Our Guest restaurant.

Execution:

We missed the Virtual Queue but we got everything else ready and we made the bus at 7:24 (DW was walking out of the room as the bus pulled up, so I took my time folding up the stroller, had DS14 take our stuff on and by the time I was done folding and unloading DW was on the bus). Got off the bus and there was no line for security (at lest for the detectors) After going a little light on bags for universal, we all had bags for disney, with water, snacks, dry socks and shoes, etc. Each day we went through security 3/5 of us needed a bag checked, each day it was a different 3/5. Not sure what was triggering it, but by the end we just anticipated security was going to take 5-10 minutes.

6.JPG

By the time we were through security they had made the announcement and were letting folks through the turnstiles. We were at the end of a decent line, but it moved quickly. Through the turnstiles, down mainstreet, through the hotel screen and back between cosmic rays and the bathrooms by mad tea party we were lined up around 8 am, back probably 400 people from the rope.

5.jpg

And that’s when it hit me. I was DRIPPING sweat. Already low 80’s with high humidity and in the direct sun while waiting. We tried sunscreen and DW and DD sat in the tables by the bathroom. Rope dropped a few minutes before 8:30 and the herd moved expeditiously. We are not aggressive enough and saw people move up substantially in the herd moving. I think the remy approach at epcot is much better, the herd is made single file much earlier, so it doesn’t feel like a mad dash for EE.

We ended up about 25 minutes back from the line. Parked the stroller for a while (DS6 didn’t need it except for longer journeys and we used it for shoe storage in the mean time) and got in line. In the queue we got all of the barrels spinning to get all the projections up, so that was fun. We asked to wait for back row, (because DS6 is a mini coaster enthusiast and will just ask for back row sometimes) which added probably 2-3 cycles, but they loaded us in and we had fun. My suspicion is that if we wanted to cut this down to under 5 minutes we would need to be 2-3 busses earlier. It didn’t seem worth pressing the point for future rope drops.

Dwarves is a fun ride but a relatively tame roller coaster. (DS14 noted “it doesn’t do much”) I liked the car rocking and DD and I were able to swing the cars through the dark ride section. We had fun and came off. DW wanted to ride Pooh, so we did that, then back to Barnstormer and the Dumbo Play area. DS6 loved the play area, but then didn’t want to ride dumbo. This was the first instance, but not the last, where the play area was of more interest than the ride to DS6 (see also, most of EPCOT). We rode the teacups real quick then, we went towards Tomorrowland to check out the line for Buzz (it was too long on the app and ended up being too long when we got there) so we cruised on the shade of the people-mover. It was 30 or 40 minutes until time for our BTMRR LL and we had an errand to run on main street. DS6 had picked out some ears the night before and had them embroidered, and we needed to pick them up, along with getting DD12’s ears embroidered. We hustled down Main street, took care of the ear business and then caught the train to frontierland.

Big Thunder is truly out there right now with Splash being rethemed. The train saved us a little walking (But not time) getting out there and we enjoyed our spin on the wildest ride in the wilderness. At this point, after we had scanned in we got a Lightning Lane as a family for Pirates, since it was only about an hour out and the line was showing 40 minutes. We split up for a quick bit, DS14 rerode BTMRR and DS6, DD12 and I explored adventurland, including the swiss family treehouse and the shops and other amenities. We were going to go on pirates and high tail it to our lunch reservation. MK’s pirates feels short, but not in a way that I feel cheated. There’s a lot of dead ride time missing from it, but not that many scenes (other than the bayou and caves, which are more for mood than story).

So we exited and got to “Be Our Guest” the dim interior with air conditioning was a welcome respite from the heat. I had booked this as sort of our opening of our “celebration” celebrating DS14 and DW’s graduations, so I had also booked the mickey cake for this meal.

I liked this meal a lot, but it was also more than twice the price of any other meal we ate on property. I don’t think we’ll go back, because we ended up not being able to finish the deserts (and probably my mistake for ordering a cake to split too, but some of the kids didn’t want any desert at all). In either case, the food was good! The filet was tender and well prepared, the appetizers were nice and the deserts were great. While we ate, we ere able to snag our virtual queue for Tron.

We left be our guest saw no line for philharmagic and went in. We then went over to Monster’s Inc Laugh floor (which had been in soft open last time we visited) and watched the show. At some point we had picked up lightning lanes for the parade at 3 and our window for that was fast approaching. We walked to the hub, entered a blast furnace and started to watch the parade. I saw about one float before DD12 noticed she was missing her phone, probably left behind at Monster’s inc (confirmed with the find me app). I honestly did not mind leaving, as the parade viewing location was intensely hot. She and I went to go ask nicely for someone to look for her phone (or let us do same) and one show cycle later a cast member came out with it. DW watched the parade, I got to sit in the shade and I think we all won.

1.jpg
we went on carousel of progress and I forgot to write about it. potentially because I fell asleep.

At this point it was space time. [insert setup for a space time continuum joke] We had a LL for space and, DS14 noted, it had just come up from some downtime and was nearly a walk on. We though we’d be smart and cycle around again, but when we got back in line it was nearly 45 minutes in the pens. Either way we got to ride both sides. DS6 got tor ride buzz with DS14 and then we got our notification for Tron. DS6 was not going to ride Tron, so we got our rider swap and got in line. This was our first experience with the virtual Queue.

4.jpg

My perspective: they keep too many people in the line, both inside and outside; they should keep the line substantially less full inside; you only need about 5 minutes before the lockers to have heard the safety instructions 3 or 4 times. I could have spent another $20 in the time we were inside. I do understand a little of the LL and the VQ interacting outside but, all in all, between the rider swap it took almost 2 hours for us to do both sides of the rider swap on each virtual Queue. In this case we were lucky, that landed us just after 7:20 and we hadn’t reached our Fireworks party time yet. DW was hungry, so we mobile ordered a hot dog and sat amidst the gathering sea of humanity on the hub. At 7:00pm most of the hub and some of main street was filled waiting for the fireworks. I felt justified in my decision to get the party.

2.jpg
We really enjoyed the pre-party. DW lamented the lack of chairs during the fireworks (but I hadn’t been able to snag the one with chairs) but the 4th of July fireworks were spectacular.

3.jpg

I saw this guy setting up on main street for this:

As the fireworks ended we had a jungle cruise LL. I had wanted to go earlier in the day and had settled for this, in part because we were NOT going to leave right after fireworks, especially since were all the way at the hub, I figured we needed to give the busses at least 45 minutes to recover. I’m a dad joke afficionado and I love the jungle cruise. Our skipper did not disappoint, even filling time for almost 5 minutes ahead of the end of our cruise while they were unloading a prior boat.

All of us, except DS14 headed for the busses and got in a short line, getting on the next bus and going home.

Dude where’s my Laundry.

Now, it being 5 days into our 11 day trip, it was declared laundry night.

we were in building 36 at CBR and the laundry room was right outside our building. I started gathering our bag of laundry and went to grab my son’s bag (he had brought a blue nylon bag for his laundry), but couldn’t find it. Looked all over. Called him, and it wasn’t where he said it was. Opened all the closets, looked in the drawers. No Bag.

I called down to the front desk to see if there was anything in lost and found. No dice, but in some discussion, it was determined that DS’s bag looks just like the bags housekeeping uses for linen, and they had serviced our room that day. Filled out the lost item report, left a message for housekeeping and I washed the other clothes. 2 washers and 2 dryers going at the same time. Saw a bunny outside spyglass, then went to bed.

The search for the clothes would continue tomorrow, as well as a Day at EPCOT. An Independence Day.

Last edited:
Day 6 – EPCOT

Initial planning:

• Rope drop goal: Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
  • Virtual Queue: Guardian’s of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind. I was better than yesterday but we still didn’t get at 7am. We did get it at 1pm.
  • Genie + First LL: we got a lightning lane for Remy, since it was very late in the day
Set reservations:

We had reservations for Biergarten for lunch, because I had wanted to go in 2006 and we hadn’t gone, and for San Angel for dinner. We were on the fence about dinner and DW was thinking we would want to have more freedom for rides. (at DLR we rarely do one sit down meal a day, let alone 2). We ended up keeping Biergarten and cancelling Casa de San Angel early in the day.

Execution:

We left the room around 7:15 and walked to the skyliner, arriving around 7:25 and boarding by 7:30. We cruised into international gateway around 7:45 and after our customary 5 minutes at security were through the gate. They had already split the line and were forming the Remy line on the bridge going towards France. It was neat, and orderly and a single file line with a cast member directing people at the end. They moved it up once just before 8 and then again at 8:05 and they were winding people into the queue at 8:07 (Early entry was officially at 8:30) we were off the ride at 8:29, with the hordes of early entry guests starting to fully materialize, we headed to frozen. This was long walk across the park #1 for the day.

0.jpg

Frozen was closed.

5.jpg

So we headed to test track, arriving at 8:55 to a stated 40 minute wait, DS14 bailed for the single rider and did it twice while the rest of us did it once. DS6 loved the build your own car aspect and he celebrated or groaned whenever his car was best or worst at something.

2.jpg

We then went to mission space, and 3 of us really enjoyed the orange side while DS6 and DW did the green side. DS6 was ambivalent but LOVED the exploration area after.

At this point, the saga of the clothes reappeared. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a variety of people, the Lost and found, the front desk and finally someone from textile services (who was the most helpful) he indicated that they were looking for our laundry bag with their outside vendors who do the laundry, they didn’t know where it could have gone but it wasn’t there at the hotel and all the commercial laundry goes to large facilities offsite.

He also started some service recovery. Since DS14 basically was down to 1-2 changes of clothes he had the front desk leave some clothes from the gift area at the hotel in our room (the standard mickey shorts and two mickey shirts) and he worked out a credit to our room account so that we could buy him some clothes as we went or at Disney Springs. (I did put in a cast compliment for him because he really solved all our immediate problems and did it on the fourth of July and was very understanding).

3.jpg

So after that time walking around we went on Soaring over California… I’m sorry Soarin’ and then DW noticed there was no line for living with the land. Halfway through the boat ride she said something to the effect of “this was a mistake” but I found it pleasantly air conditioned and a solid rest…

DD12 at that point realized she had left her glasses somewhere… maybe on Mission Space, maybe on Soarin, and we went back to Soarin. We were now the proud owner of multiple lost item reports and DD was a little upset because she didn’t have a backup for her glasses on the trip. The vibes were not great.

We went on Journey into Imagination and DS6 loved it, and we got a picture with the big cheese upstairs. We had time for one quick ride on nemo and then we needed to head to Germany. This was long walk across the park #2 for the day, and the crisscrossing of the park was starting to be a point of discussion. Unfortunately we had painted ourselves into this mess due to our reservations.

1.jpg

We have a soft spot for German culture since DW took German in High School and we have been to Germany in the past. It was fun to go to Biergarten but the place was half full and the buffet frankly fell a little flat for me. I was also realizing that I couldn’t drink a beer at lunch with the heat and feel full speed in the afternoon. We did, however, get Guardians Virtual Queue, but it was pretty late in the day.

Vibes were not great. It was time for a quick reset. We started to circle the world showcase to see the pavilions with the intent of finishing the rides we hadn’t done and seeing the pavilions.

Frozen was up, but the line was 80 minutes, so we passed. We toured the gran fiesta with the Three Caballeros. DS6 loved it. (he would request again). We rode Spaceship earth and I fell asleep. DS6 loved the exit interactive area (and would ask to come back) There was a fair amount of regret that we had cancelled our dinner reservation after DW saw Casa de San Angel. The older kids and my wife wanted to single rider on Test Track.

DD12 got an email that someone had found her glasses, so we went to guest services and after a few different glasses were pulled out of the box we got hers! The Guest Relations staff were delightful and asked her about her pins, and brought her out a pin that she had been looking for (one of the world showcase pavilions) when they brought out her glasses. She was so excited, and they didn’t need to do anything for us, we were just there because we had left something behind.

7.jpg

DS6 loved turtle talk with crush and we were ready to go head for our lightning lane at Remy. As we cruised around world showcase some weather moved in and we got an even more ominous message that our Remy lightning lane had been modified, which, as we approached we confirmed that Remy was closed (it would not reopen for several hours). The weather got worse and we took shelter in the American Adventure, which, frankly was a fitting activity for the Fourth. It was a full theater and people were into it. I think that’s the most patriotic thing we’ve done on the fourth in years (as we’re often camping).

6.jpg

8.jpg

At this point it was time. Time to rewind, cosmically. We went over and got the ride swap and DD, DS14 and DW went first (since I went first on Tron). I realized at this point that it was past 7 and we hadn’t eaten. We were in a food desert in Future world and I ended up walking well into world showcase to find something to eat. I was keeping tabs on the others in line and it became apparent to me that a) I was going to have to choose between fireworks and Guardians of the Galaxy due to timing and b) there was a real possibility that I would miss guardians all together since at 8:50 they had not boarded.

I gave up on guardians got us a spot for the fireworks show, and boy was it crowded. We had initially wanted to be close to England so we could duck out of international gateway quickly but since we were meeting we ended up near Odyssey.

9.jpg

The fireworks were great, especially the extra fourth fireworks. DD and DW met me at fireworks, DS14 tried to get some food but was unsuccessful.

We exited after, taking about 20 mintues to get to the international gateway DS14 was directed to the busses and called us from a bus on his way home as we were arriving at the skyliner station where the cast members were telling us it was a 90 minute wait. Vibes were not great. We walked to boardwalk sat down for about 2 minutes and went to go look for a cab or uber. We ended up catching an uber home at 10pm from the boardwalk back to the CBR, and DS14 had been home, showered and in bed for while.

In hindsight, I regret cancelling our dinner reservation and also not going to the bus when DS14 first mentioned it. While the day felt like a lot of walking, it wasn't our longest walking day at all. Certainly more walking than we had done the day before but at only 10.4 miles it was 3 miles short of our longest day and below our average, I think the long uninterrupted walks gave the impression that we were walking a lot.

I also left without doing cosmic rewind, so we will have to get better at our virtual queue skills or I will need to pay for the ILL.

Tune in Next time to find out:

Will the vibes get better?
Will we cancel any more dining reservations?
Will we remember to eat dinner?
Will I ever get on Cosmic Rewind?

Last edited:
Day 7: MGM studios Disney(‘s?) Hollywood Studios

Much of this park is similar to what we have in California. This was our most anticipated rope drop: we had gone to Galaxy’s edge in Disneyland in 2019 and Falcon was open but Rise was not, and we had not done toy story land at all. We were excited to ride some of the headliners in this park and just to spend more time in a finished galaxy’s edge.

Initial planning:
  • Rope drop goal: Rise of the Resistance
  • Virtual Queue: None available
  • Genie + First LL: we got a lightning lane for slinky because rope drop for Rise.=
Set reservations:

We had reservations at sci-fi dine in, because I had wanted to do that in 2006 and we had not been able to get in. we had a lunch reservation at 50’s prime time because DW loved it in 2006. This is our last day with two reservations.

Execution:

Rise and shine on time!

Skyliner to the park and we went through the early entry screen outside the gates and got in line. We were about 30 people back from our turnstile. We read other posts on here about how to be at the front of a rope drop but being there 30 or 45 minutes earlier was not going to fly within our group. A brisk walk to the edge of the galaxy and we were in line.
1.jpg
The wait was posted at 50 minutes, but we were off in 40 minutes. We got a full Rise of the Resistance run, with most all of the effects working and all of the pre-show. I think we would later find that this was a bit lucky that a) it was open at opening and b) all the major elements were working. I think that’s one of the best all around ride experiences I’ve been on and we remained impressed with all the trackless dark rides we rode. This trip was our first experience with anything trackless and it’s been really cool.
2.jpg
We went to millennium falcon next (maybe could have done slinky next but we had the slinky LL) then off to toy story land, we did alien swirling saucers and split up a bit. DS14 and I went to ride rock n roller coaster (which was pretty finnicky the whole time we were there) and the rest of the folks went to see lightning McQueen (and then we reversed our split). We also bought some shorts for DS14 and found maybe the most expensive shorts I’ve ever seen (co-branded mickey mouse and tommy hilfinger shorts..) in the process.

5.jpg
when they're not playing Aerosmith in the queue and you have to improvise.

We had about 40 minutes to kill before our lunch reservation… BUT that wasn’t enough to do anything substantial but we went and watched muppets.

As for 50’s prime time I liked it but I wasn’t as “into” the theme as I was before. Our server snapped me back into it for most of the meal, so I was happy.

After lunch we slogged through some longer lines and dealt with weather. We got an ominous “modification” to our slinky dog fast pass but in reality, it ended up working out, we were given an unlimited window for slinky or any other ride.

3.jpg

In early afternoon It became apparent that we had done basically everything that DS6 would want to do or could do, ride wise, and we waited out some longer lines for things he would like. The rest of the day was spent split up, trading off adult things with 6 year old things, more so than in any other park, there are just not as many crossover rides here. We went on alien swirling saucers again, on star tours and then we met up for Indiana jones, except… some of us made it in and those of us who were 2 minutes later did not make the standby cut… they are serious about theater capacity, so I went and got a cold drink and waited for the fam outside.

4.jpg

Interestingly because of weather they didn’t do any of the rooftop stunts but did all of the airplane stunts. When we went a few days later it was the opposite they did all the rooftop stunts but the airplane was having mechanical difficulties.

7.jpg

We did get over to slinky and rode. DS6 loved it, everyone thought it was ok, but DS14 and I were underwhelmed. It’s a fun family coaster but it’s not nearly worth the wait, the launches need more power, it crawls over the top of the post launch hills and doesn’t pop at all on any of the bunny hills, I’m surprised it doesn’t roll back more often.

6.jpg
it does shake and rattle

Then we went to sci-fi dine in. I loved the atmosphere and the food, but I really didn’t like the car setup for the 6 of us. I basically couldn’t see or talk to my kids all meal, and we weren’t offered one of the family tables. I had wanted to do this last time and we couldn’t get a reservation, so I was glad we did it. Definitely hits the notes on “something we can’t do at home”.

At this point DS14 and I had a tower of terror LL and we all wanted to get on one or two more things, and go to fantasmic. I dislike going to fantasmic at DLR for one reason: getting a seat is a miserable and long process and requires giving up much of your evening to get a decent one. However at DHS, the large ampitheater means that basically almost everyone who wants to watch can, and adding the other projection show just before splits it so that not *everyone* is going into the show. It’s also a different dynamic at DLR because the park isn’t closing at the same time. Fantasmic is a good time to go ride rides in that area.

8.jpg

DS14 hopped in the rise line (posted 70, ended up waiting 40) after dinner and got off just as the park was closing. He had some indigestion from dinner and ended up heading straight for the hotel room. The rest of us watched fantasmic and liked it. I do like the Disneyland show better, but as noted above, it’s a tradeoff, as I’m generally unwilling to wait for it, so I rarely actually watch it. I felt the first half of the DHS show was too screen dependent, just projections on the water screens. It felt more like world of color. We exited the theater and effectively were leaving the park after 10. DS14 had made it home and was not feeling great. He also needed underwear (due to the laundry issue) so I ran to Disney springs (after ascertaining that you could not buy underwear anywhere else after 10pm) and got to uniqulo at 10:56, with the store closing at 11. As I walked back to the garage I looked around but I wasn’t seeing a driving need to come back to Disney springs.

We had an exciting day, and the vibes were better but, it was our first serious weather day, impacting a substantial portion of the afternoon, which slowed all the rides down, and we spent a bunch of the day apart. The vibes were better, but still not all the way

Goals for animal kingdom were to do more of the rides together (which was possible because DS6 could ride all the rides) and to execute a good morning rope drop. However, we had a super early wake up call the next morning; and we had not made it back to the room until 10:30 two nights in a row.

Tune in next time to find out:

• Will we all be hakuna Matata and Animal Kingdom tomorrow?
  • Will we wake up in time, or call an audible?
  • Will DS6 ride Expedition Everest?

Last edited:

Day 8 - Disney Animal Kingdom

Initial Planning

We had talked about a dinner this day at AKL or picking something at Disney Springs, since the park was closing at 7. we never really got what we wanted in reservations so we were reservation free today. Primary objective was Pandora, as that hadn't been open last time we were here, and we knew we wanted to ride Safari and Everest.

AK7.jpg

Rope Drop?

Everyone has to take a bus to Animal Kingdom, and oddly as crowds had grown for the week, opening time for AK had been pushed up from 9 to 8, meaning early entry was at 7:30. We needed to be off the bus by 6:45 to be on plan, and at the bus stop by 6:10(!!) to make plan. Despite this being in the google doc for weeks before our trip, there was some anxiety at this plan, even the night before...

AK4.jpg
Live look at rope drop preparations

Execution

Maybe yesterday should have been a rest day; or today, but we were not sleeping enough to be up at 5:10 and on the bus at 6:15, even fully adjusted to Eastern Time. Add to that the laundry drama and we were hurting. We made an executive decision to buy the ILL and get to the park when we could. We missed all of the early entry but made it for regular rope drop, so about an hour of extra sleep. We were in pandora just after 8. Being a bit novice to the system, we had booked our ILL for the window given, which was 8:15 so we just did Flight of Passage, and then The river cruise. While we loved Pandora and the theming, we never really made it back over there after the first thing in the morning.

AK8.jpg

Next we slogged it out for Kilimanjaro Safaris. our Genie+ reservations for other rides were later in the day and this is still, in my opinion, the signature ride for the park. The kids loved it, I took a boatload of wildlife pictures, but we waited about 50 minutes.

At that point it was time to Ride Everest. DS6 was game, but scared. DS14 was excited. DS6 "I Liked it but I'm not going again" which was somewhat echoed by DD12. DS14 was enamored.

AK3.jpg

We got barbecue at flame tree terrace while we took care of some shopping, and got pictures with Mickey and Minnie!

We then Split up a bit, the orders went back on Everest and I took DS6 to Dinoland. We (he) spent at least half an hour in the peak heat of the day running exploring and sliding in the playground. Sometimes we forget as adults that kids just need freeform play time too. Bonus: I was able to snag a cold beverage and sit in the shade.

AK2.jpg

Met up mid afternoon at Dinosaur. DS6 asked if it was scary and I demurred saying "not really" to which DS6 read to me the sign "contains simulated danger and scary situations". Can't pull anything on him anymore. he still decided to go and actually loved it. In fact he will re-ride dinosaur but not Indiana Jones at Disneyland.

AK5.jpg

Then we traded off the younger kids to single rider Everest one more time. We went over and went standby and got in the last two rows of the festival of the lion king. The show had been dark last time we were at DAK so I had never seen it and it was great to A) be in a dark air conditioned space B) see a great show and C) sit down for 40 minutes.

We got out of the show and saw that we had 12 new pictures on our photopass. DS14 had gone on Everest single rider the whole time we were the line and show. He ended up riding 20 times and we got 17 pictures of him on Everest... Coaster enthusiasts are going to lap coasters I guess.

At this point I tried the dole whip treat with the rum float, which was delicious, but the combination of heat, rum and exhaustion was not great for me overall. we definitely don't have that back home in Disneyland. we had a LL for Kali River Rapids and went over there. It was fun to cool off a bit... but after Popeye's barges in IOA, this felt underwhelming as a raft ride. it was easily the worst of the three we went on in Florida (after BGT as well).

AK6.jpg
more exciting than Kali river rapids

DS6 wanted to watch the nemo show, so I took him, grabbed some water and retreated indoors.

At this point it was 5 or so, and there were two more park hours. DS 14 was off riding Everest on repeat. DD12 wanted to do Kilimanjaro safaris one more time. We walked on and then got another round. It did seem like the Savannah was less active as we went around just before closing.

AK9.jpg

At this point DD and DW wanted to go to Disney Springs, so I took DS6 to dinoland for one more trip through the playstructure and on Dinosaur, then snagged DS14 and went back to the resort to enjoy the pool. I mobile ordered dinner and grabbed a beer from the pool bar and we swam for an hour or two. I am not a big resort pool guy but DS6 had a blast, and given that the pool was big and crowded, I appreciated the life jacket for him for my piece of mind.

ak1.jpg
bunny rabbit on the way to the pool

We all tried to get to bed early so we could rope drop the next day.

Still no sign of the laundry

Tune in next time:
* Will we rise for the resistance?
* will we make decisions that become bad decisions because of weather?
*Are we going to be finished with DHS

Last edited:
Distance stats for the trip (Because *Data*)

DayDistance (mi, as measured by phone)Park
0 (Travel Day2.5Travel
110.7IOA/USF
210.1IOA/USF
39IOA/USF
413.2BGT
58.4MK
610.4EPCOT
710.7DHS
89AK
912.9DHS
1010.6MK
119.9EPCOT
Total117.411.5 miles per park day

Distance stats for the trip (Because *Data*)

DayDistance (mi, as measured by phone)Park
0 (Travel Day2.5Travel
110.7IOA/USF
210.1IOA/USF
39IOA/USF
413.2BGT
58.4MK
610.4EPCOT
710.7DHS
89AK
912.9DHS
1010.6MK
119.9EPCOT
Total117.411.5 miles per park day
for our 12 day backpacking trip the week before DS14 and I did 126 miles... but not in this humidity, it's a tossup which was more intense (in tents?)

Through universal, coaster rankings on trip.

ALL OPINIONS ON COASTERS ARE SUBJECTIVE AND BASED ON MY WHIMS... DS14 will post his opinions to his youtube... when he gets around to it.

1. Velocicoaster: A world Class coaster: smooth running, multi launch, multiple airtime moments, great operations, and good theming, interesting Queue.
2. Hagrid's Magical Motorbike adventure: Not as thrilling as velicicoaster but more appealing to more folks. Well themed, and well operated when running. loses points for not as thrilling and high breakdown time. Still thrilling though especially the
"drop track"
3. Gringotts: This is a good ride more than it is a good roller coaster. Theming and operations are great, the tilt track is fun! The rest of the coaster/ride is ride centered and the coaster part does not do that much. less thrilling than mummy in that sense.
4. Hulk: one ibuprofen from a spectacular ride. A ride of it's era, a mid to late 90's launched B&M, characterized by high positive g forces and lots of inversions. A fun ride, but... No airtime... the launch is a little weak and the finishing elements are very similar to many other B&M rides of the same era. The queue was well themed but the ride is just a coaster (other than one tunnel)
5. Mummy: An ok ride with good effects. Less ride than Gringotts and less story. The effects are much better than Hollywood. The ride is better too, but still not a lot of coaster.
6. Rip Ride Rock-it: So much potential with so many block zones/brake runs. Doesn't live up to it's thrill potential. It also Kinda hurt.
7. Flight of the Hippogriff: A fun kids ride. loses points for long line relative to thrill. Gains points for 2 train ops for a kids ride and general fun! I believe it's identical to the on in Hollywood.

IMG_3769r.jpg
A side note on the disappointment of SF in Universal.... They have a Beer Cart, but no SF beers, they have the Buena Vista, but not the Irish coffee it's known for. Lombard's serves clam chowder... but it branded as NEW ENGLAND clam chowder, with Nary a bread bowl or sourdough crab sandwich to be seen.

They're 4 menu items from nailing it with authenticity:
*irish coffee at alcatraz
*crab sandwich (on sourdough)
*bread bowl the chowder
*any California Based Beer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter