Back from 10 nights in a BCV studio

Dancind

Tinkerbell's Mom
Just back Wednesday from our annual Mom & Daughter Back to School trip, and we had a terrific time! Yes, it was hot, hot, hot, and crowded, and we were very close to a lightning strike in DTD, but we met up with DIS friends for the last half of our trip and had a great time anyway. Some notes below are slightly negative, but were the only negatives. We had some great meals, especially the sushi at California Grill.

We checked in on July 25, after taking ME from the airport. I think we got to the resort about 4:30, making good time after our 3:30 landing. Waiting in line to check in, I noticed that there were three CM's working the desk, but one was on the end kind of hiding behind another one. I tried to catch her eye several times, but she was acting like she couldn't see me. She wasn't doing anything, so I kept trying. Finally, she called me over. The studio she assigned sounded like it might be smoking, so I asked her. "Oh no, it's not a smoking room!" Then she hustled us out of there. You know the rest, it was! I was pretty mad about having to go back, but at least they didn't charge me for cleaning. I wrote down this lady's name, I will have to try and find it now. I think it may have been the last studio available (obviously, they didn't block ours off), because I heard something about "corporate room override" while they were trying to find me another room. They gave us 161, which is the room you see when you walk in the door by the single elevator, with a patio right next to the road. I thought it would be really noisy, but was so tired it didn't bother me the first night, so we cancelled a request to move (with a $35 cleaning fee quote!). It did bother me later in the week.

The room was nice, no problems, and all the other CMs were very nice. The new selections in the gift shop were all good, and it was nice to be able to fill a mug there. Very busy at all hours though! They have a separate station for picking up packages, which was an excellent idea.

Bus service was pretty good except for Downtown Disney. We made three trips there for shopping and PI, and it was always at least half hour wait to get a bus, then it was standing room only. If you go in the morning and come back in the afternoon, you get to stop at both Boardwalk and Typhoon Lagoon BOTH ways.

I will repeat what another poster said about SAB, they were NOT enforcing the wrist bands, and the pool was packed to capacity. We had a very hard time finding chairs. I sat by the slide exit pool one afternoon and watched people stroll in with their towels and swimsuits under their clothes from Epcot, they were even allowed down the slide! Seems like it would be easy enough to turn away people without wrist bands on the slide at least.

We had one really, really bad waitress at Prime Time. We have never gotten a "fun" waiter, but this one was just terrible. We had to resort to sticking our hands out to stop her when she would run by our table. On the other hand, we ate at Cape May twice, and the servers there are wonderful. Dottie was a real sweetheart, she even thanked me for giving her my DDE card, and she applied the discount to our entire party of 12!

After being lazy for most of the trip, we decided to get to some parks at opening the last five days or so. We went to MK Saturday morning, since they had late EMH on Friday. We were amazed to get on Peter Pan in 10 minutes, and did most of the Fantasyland rides within 30 minutes with no wait! We hadn't done any of these since DD was little, and she's 14 now! After that, we walked on Buzz, got Fastpasses with an early time for Stitch, had breakfast, did Stitch, and we left about 11:30, just as the crowds started rolling in. I highly recommend this strategy!

We did attend the DVC party at PI, and thought it was really nice. DD got a Goofy balloon that was quite amazing, we got to be in the trivia game, we tried and tried to win a monkey at the carnival game (no luck), had a Mickey bar, the kids danced a little, a good time was had by all. We used the wrist bands, too, and went to the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurer's Club.

Those are the highlights. I'll check back for questions!

Diana,
I was so frustrated by the lack of checking at SAB. There were so many people there, I cannot imagine that it was considered not crowded enough to need to check! I just think if we have a policy, we need to enforce it and that one policy is very important to the level of comfort at the pool that the guests feel.

What a wonderful memory for you and your daughter! I am glad you got a chance to share this with her and now she will be ready for a great start to the school year!

Thanks for sharing! (boo hiss on the "no its not smoking" and it was....dont LIE for goodness sakes! You do need to let them know this happened because you are far from the first to report this kind of thing.)

Dancind said:
We checked in on July 25, after taking ME from the airport. I think we got to the resort about 4:30, making good time after our 3:30 landing. Waiting in line to check in, I noticed that there were three CM's working the desk, but one was on the end kind of hiding behind another one. I tried to catch her eye several times, but she was acting like she couldn't see me. She wasn't doing anything, so I kept trying. Finally, she called me over. The studio she assigned sounded like it might be smoking, so I asked her. "Oh no, it's not a smoking room!" Then she hustled us out of there. You know the rest, it was! I was pretty mad about having to go back, but at least they didn't charge me for cleaning. I wrote down this lady's name, I will have to try and find it now. a $35 cleaning fee quote!). I
QUOTE]

If you find her name.. please post it or if you would prefer, PM me. We're checking in on the 14th and I would do my best to avoid her!
Nancy :wave2:

snowiit said:
Dancind said:
We checked in on July 25, after taking ME from the airport. I think we got to the resort about 4:30, making good time after our 3:30 landing. Waiting in line to check in, I noticed that there were three CM's working the desk, but one was on the end kind of hiding behind another one. I tried to catch her eye several times, but she was acting like she couldn't see me. She wasn't doing anything, so I kept trying. Finally, she called me over. The studio she assigned sounded like it might be smoking, so I asked her. "Oh no, it's not a smoking room!" Then she hustled us out of there. You know the rest, it was! I was pretty mad about having to go back, but at least they didn't charge me for cleaning. I wrote down this lady's name, I will have to try and find it now. a $35 cleaning fee quote!). I
QUOTE]

If you find her name.. please post it or if you would prefer, PM me. We're checking in on the 14th and I would do my best to avoid her!
I'm checking in tomorrow! Please let me know who to avoid! I plan to ask at the front desk as well regarding the lack of ID checking at SAB! We chose to stay at BCV this time so we would have "legal" access to SAB. Heck, if they weren't going to check ID's, I could have stayed somewhere else, for less points mind you, and pool hopped there! Just kidding of course, I'm way to afraid of being asked to leave, I, no DH would absolutely die of embarassment!

Wow, what a quick trip from the airport - I'm very impressed! We are leaving in 13 days and arriving around 11am. I'm a little concerned that may be a peak arrival time for ME, but we will see!

And about SAB and no wristbands - that's just awful! After all they have done to have that process in place then they abandon it during the peak of the heat!

As for the BCV smoking rooms - all of the smoking rooms are on the 4th floor and most of them are down one particular hallway that is in the back and points towards the road. A few are on the main hallway, around where the side hallway meets the main hallway. So if you get a room that's not on the 4th floor, you can be assured it is NS. I'm wondering if the CM was very new, perhaps just had a bad encounter and was timid about having another one. It doesn't excuse the behavior, but it could have happened. She may not have known they were the smoking rooms. I'm defending her a bit because once when I called in and found I was assigned to the 4th floor and asked is it a smoking room - the CM had to ask someone else to confirm that it was not in the smoking wing. I've just assumed that perhaps it's not always apparent.

Glad you had a great time.

snowiit said:

Hi! We're checking in on the 14th too! I hope we don't have any problems, since the only things I requested were non-smoking and near our other party. 12 of us from DH's family....it's a spoil the grandchildren trip!!!!

Kim

The CM was a dark haired lady, around 40 years old, I'm thinking her name started with an M. She knew what she was doing, because they called HER over for help when they couldn't find me another room. She was the one that did the override. Yes, I was pretty sure the room number, (I'm thinking 436) might be smoking, that's why I asked. She was working at the far left station.

They WERE giving out wristbands at SAB, if you came in the main entrance and got towels. But you could also get in from the Yacht Club side or the slide exit and just claim a chair. As you know, there are always towels to be had, the ones saving chairs! This upset me a bit because we were at BWV with my brother's family in June. I tried and tried to get BCV, because the teens really wanted to swim at SAB. And they didn't get to. Only about 1/3 of the people at the pool last Saturday had wristbands. I saw one large group at a table with coolers with beer, no wristbands.

They're going to wonder why all these "crazy DVC" people are complaining about SAB before they have even checked in! I didn't complain, but believe me, I'm looking forward to my online survey! No card yet.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!!!!! Can't wait to go back in May!

Dancind said:
...snip They're going to wonder why all these "crazy DVC" people are complaining about SAB before they have even checked in! ....snip
LOL! How true, but maybe if they start getting "premature" complaints, they'll realize that people outside of WDW talk about what's going on inside WDW! I understand that it is a very hot time of year, but if people truly want to swim at SAB, then they need to cough up the cash or points (as the case may be) and stay at YC, BC, or BCV. EVERYTHING that comes from DVC about pool hopping always mentions no pool hopping there or at AKL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter