Back from DLP - first time visit

dvcdisney

DIS Veteran
My family and I are back from our DLP visit and although I don't generally do reviews, I wanted to give some insight into our visit as first timers. This is in no way representative of others opinion, just ours.

We stayed at the Sequoia Golden Forest Room for 4 nights. The room is very nice and roomy, however, we did have issues with the AC. Maintenance did come in and tried to repair it and for one night it seemed to work. He didn't ask us anything or even spoke to us...perhaps it was a language issue. Anyway, the AC stopped working again the next day. When we informed them, they said that it was likely because we were expecting a different AC that is more similar to the ones in America. I'm not sure what that means, but we expected cool air coming out of the system. Our breakfast was quite good even though it was a buffet. We don't like buffets. We loved the proximity to the parks and being able to go back to the resort when we wanted.

The CMs were all generally nice and polite and in most cases very Disneyish. We didn't encounter any rude CMs. We did encounter rude guests, but again, we expected some cultural differences that may seem rude for us, but likely not an issue with them. There were a few people trying to cut lines, but not too much. We're used to the line cutters in WDW, so we fit across the whole area and the only ones who tried to get by was the ones who are meeting up with their family. It didn't seem like an issue.

With regards to the rides, we did expect a smaller park with less rides. I will admit, we were surprised that there were a lot of breakdowns....I guess more than we expected. But we went back and went on another time. I will admit that the walk throughs were not as fun as the rides, but I can see why they did them. I would have preferred more rides. Our favourite rides were Hyperspace, Big Thunder, Pirates, Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille. No one liked Indiana Jones and Star Tours were exactly like the one at WDW so not something we enjoyed too much.

The restaurants were okay. We didn't have high expectations, but I'm sad to say most were disappointing except for our dinner at Captain Jacks. This was surprising since we were expecting similar tastes to the Blue Bayou in DL California. The food was much better and the service was excellent. We had great service at Chez Remy and Annette's. But the food was just okay. The service was lacking at Silver Spur and Rainforest Cafe.

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them. All in all we were glad to visit DLP and enjoyed our time there.

My family and I are back from our DLP visit and although I don't generally do reviews, I wanted to give some insight into our visit as first timers. This is in no way representative of others opinion, just ours.

We stayed at the Sequoia Golden Forest Room for 4 nights. The room is very nice and roomy, however, we did have issues with the AC. Maintenance did come in and tried to repair it and for one night it seemed to work. He didn't ask us anything or even spoke to us...perhaps it was a language issue. Anyway, the AC stopped working again the next day. When we informed them, they said that it was likely because we were expecting a different AC that is more similar to the ones in America. I'm not sure what that means, but we expected cool air coming out of the system. Our breakfast was quite good even though it was a buffet. We don't like buffets. We loved the proximity to the parks and being able to go back to the resort when we wanted.

The CMs were all generally nice and polite and in most cases very Disneyish. We didn't encounter any rude CMs. We did encounter rude guests, but again, we expected some cultural differences that may seem rude for us, but likely not an issue with them. There were a few people trying to cut lines, but not too much. We're used to the line cutters in WDW, so we fit across the whole area and the only ones who tried to get by was the ones who are meeting up with their family. It didn't seem like an issue.

With regards to the rides, we did expect a smaller park with less rides. I will admit, we were surprised that there were a lot of breakdowns....I guess more than we expected. But we went back and went on another time. I will admit that the walk throughs were not as fun as the rides, but I can see why they did them. I would have preferred more rides. Our favourite rides were Hyperspace, Big Thunder, Pirates, Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille. No one liked Indiana Jones and Star Tours were exactly like the one at WDW so not something we enjoyed too much.

The restaurants were okay. We didn't have high expectations, but I'm sad to say most were disappointing except for our dinner at Captain Jacks. This was surprising since we were expecting similar tastes to the Blue Bayou in DL California. The food was much better and the service was excellent. We had great service at Chez Remy and Annette's. But the food was just okay. The service was lacking at Silver Spur and Rainforest Cafe.

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them. All in all we were glad to visit DLP and enjoyed our time there.
Thanks for the report! We're going in May.

Hi @dvcdisney, and thanks for your report!

Being “veteran” at DLP, I most certainly understand what it's like being a “first-timer”, since DW and I made our first trip at WDW two years ago, and there was so much to learn!

Also, being a local, I know that most people in France (maybe all throughout Europe) expect to sleep in room with a temperature between 70-80°. On our first trip at WDW, we discovered that this is very different to the setting everyone uses in the USA. In France, we usually expect AC to work only when there is a big heat wave, and on the other days, we don't expect “cool air coming out from the system”. (Call me crazy, but when I go to WDW, I like to turn off the AC, and take a nap on the bed.)
I have a friend who works with A/C system, and he explained to me that systems installed in France aren't suppose to cool things down like in the USA.

If you'd ask me, DLP should have installed the same A/C system than in the US. European people would just have turned the damn thing off, housekeeping wouldn't had turn it on anytime they enter the room (as they do at WDW, if you wondered) and people who like to sleep in cold rooms will have enjoyed their stay!

Hi @dvcdisney, and thanks for your report!

Being “veteran” at DLP, I most certainly understand what it's like being a “first-timer”, since DW and I made our first trip at WDW two years ago, and there was so much to learn!

Also, being a local, I know that most people in France (maybe all throughout Europe) expect to sleep in room with a temperature between 70-80°. On our first trip at WDW, we discovered that this is very different to the setting everyone uses in the USA. In France, we usually expect AC to work only when there is a big heat wave, and on the other days, we don't expect “cool air coming out from the system”. (Call me crazy, but when I go to WDW, I like to turn off the AC, and take a nap on the bed.)
I have a friend who works with A/C system, and he explained to me that systems installed in France aren't suppose to cool things down like in the USA.

If you'd ask me, DLP should have installed the same A/C system than in the US. European people would just have turned the damn thing off, housekeeping wouldn't had turn it on anytime they enter the room (as they do at WDW, if you wondered) and people who like to sleep in cold rooms will have enjoyed their stay!

Thank you for your post. I can understand that the AC system would be different in DLP and that we have a different expectation. I think it would be good to have the same system as WDW, I don't have a problem with it as is. I do, however, believe there was an issue with our AC because it did work for one day after maintenance came in, but I think it was just a quick fix. I think there is a bigger issue with it that likely needs longer attention. The air coming out of the vents wasn't cool. It was the same temp as the room.

It was warm and unfortunately, we couldn't keep the windows open since there was no screen and there were wasps everywhere. We didn't realize this until we opened the window and several wasps flew it. It took half an hour for my husband to shoo them all out the window. So we kept it closed. It didn't ruin our vacation, it was just uncomfortable so we didn't spend much time in the room. The lobby was nice and cool and so was the Golden Forest breakfast/lounge area, but I did notice they left the windows open ...not sure why bugs weren't flying in...:confused3

Anyway, I was very glad to get some information and reviews from here so we knew what to expect. It was actually quite helpful. We're WDW veterans and sometimes I forget how even little details can help first timers so I'm so grateful for Dis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter