Back from SSR...my observations

I thought the spa was fine when I had my pedicure. I didn't have any of the problems that the OP had. But then it may have been different staff working that day and during the time I went (early morning) it didn't seem so busy. Also, it was my first spa treatment, so I don't have anything to compare to. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience at the spa. I'd like to try it on one of our visits. I'd love to hear a comparison to the GF spa -- haven't tried that one yet, either.

we like the walk to DD you have to remember as stated befoer its a circle so if you going disney quest from congress park throught the golf area at SSR it takes 35min rainforest from congress park past irkie water :rotfl: 15min
Paulh

wendydarling826 said:
Oh dear. We have a trip booked to SSR for our daughter's 26th birthday in Feb. and her birthday gift was going to be a Spa treatment. Wondering if I should rethink that. I had expected that the Spa would be top-notch. I hope to hear from others who have used the Spa.

My friend and I used the spa last September. We had pedicures there, we were in massage chairs in a room together. It was fabulous! I am sure your daughter will love it. The gym there is state of the art and my DH and my friend's fiance got good use from that.

The ladies' locker room has lovely toiletries that are free to use, a spa tub, sauna, cold water dispensers, the whole place was great in our experience. By the way the pedicure I had was stunning. People I don't know even complimented me on how nice it was- really!

I agree with others that the walk to DTD was nice but the place was so mobbed it was not an easy task to get a meal at short notice. SSR dioes need a restaurant for sure. We still had a GREAT trip there though.

Mandy ::MinnieMo

I could have sworn I read another post saying that taking the path through the golf course could be hazardous to you health due to crazed golf cart drivers :scared1:

I have to agree with EZ about the path to DTD. It appears that the further you get away from SSR and approach the main road and bridge, the less maintenance is being done. In the water at the bridge we observed trafic cones, push brooms and other debris. While I am sure this was done by guests walking in the area (not workers) you would think it would get cleaned up. The items were in the water for atleast the week we were there. The DTD walkway had running water on it, possibly from broken sprinkler head for two days, and my wife did observe a little critter crossing the path who had a very long and skinny tail. I wont get into what she thought it was, but we could not convince her it was an animal associated with cleanliness!!!

We`ll be @ SSR in a couple of weeks. We were looking forward to the convience of walking to DTD. Now I don`t know :scared: , mabe we`ll just wait for the Boat!!!! :goodvibes :flower:

TOMAR@SSR said:
We`ll be @ SSR in a couple of weeks. We were looking forward to the convience of walking to DTD. Now I don`t know :scared: , mabe we`ll just wait for the Boat!!!! :goodvibes :flower:

The walk is very nice, day or night. Don't worry. Well lit at night, very good condition.

We have taken the path along the Golf course and enjoyed it. That path was the only one open when we went to SSRS in June 2004. The path actually runs right next to boat dock. As for pools ..... We stayed in The Springs in June (we had a request for Congress Park, but ......). One evening we went to the Main Pool and had a great time. Not crowded at all and nice and relaxing. Warning ..... The Spa Hot Tube was 104 degrees and you need to take your time getting in. Also, the pool will feel ice cold if you move from the hot tub to the pool right away. Now the Quiet Pool at Congress Park .... We took a walk from the Main pool to there and let me tell you it was far from quiet. There were at least 15 unsupervised kids in the pool at 10:00 and it was LOUD. I guess I should expect this sometimes, but we headed back to our room. Just a little note .... The new construction area (which I believe will be called The Padock) will have it's own quiet pool and playground. The pool was completed when we were there.

ez said:
We used the walkway to downtown disney (which was unbelievably mobbed) and I wouldnt do it again, even though we were in the building closest to it. Do not expect a walk similar to boardwalk to Epcot/MGM. You go by some very nasty looking/smelling water, the highway, and a behind the scenes area that smelled like garbage.
It sounds like you went the wrong way at the end of the walkway. When you get to DTD you need to go past the edge of the bus area and through the part with the water jets. It sounds like you and and Mstec took the service road like Deb & Bill said :eek:

If you go the correct way it's a nice walk, even if you do have to walk along a highway for 2 minutes. The sidewalk is well seperated from the road so I can't see a problem with it, nobody would think twice about it anywhere else.

As far as seeing a rat goes, they will be wherever there are people, even Disney can't get rid of them completely. They are just big ::MickeyMo anyway :goodvibes

Sarnia said:
It sounds like you went the wrong way at the end of the walkway. When you get to DTD you need to go past the edge of the bus area and through the part with the water jets. It sounds like you and and Mstec took the service road like Deb & Bill said :eek:

If you go the correct way it's a nice walk, even if you do have to walk along a highway for 2 minutes. The sidewalk is well seperated from the road so I can't see a problem with it, nobody would think twice about it anywhere else.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that we did not take a service road (we did walk across the small service road, however), but came up just to the first covered bus stop right after the service road, and turned right, going right into the DD at the water squirt/fountain thingy. My kids love that thing... :rolleyes: No biggie.... :flower:

I'm terribly sorry you had a bad experience at SSR spa. I've done both GF spa and SSR spa and much prefer SSR, though it does have a weird set-up because it's on more than one floor. I find GF to be very snooty and the service to be about average. I've had better service at my local salon.

I found SSR to be a much more relaxed atmosphere. The employees were much nicer and much quicker to help, though they did seem a bit unorganized when we checked in last time as well.

As for getting a discount -- the discounts do say for DVC members only and since you asked the question, the employee (they are not Disney CMs) was probably flustered and trying to think of a way to give your guests the discount. Technically, he shouldn't have, but I've been through the situation with my mother. They wanted to help but eventually said the only way for her to get the discount was for me to pay for her -- not a problem, I just put it on my credit card.

And if you think the "pickings" are slim at SSR -- you get nothing at GF! I'm surprised you thought the water, tea, coffee, fruit and those awesome mini hard candies were slim pickings though. It's all free. They don't need to supply you with anything. Not to mention, SSR has really nice toiletries -- the shampoo and soap smell TERRIFIC! And there were combs and aerosol deoderant. Made it a breeze to shower and change after working out, before my massage.

I hope others will try the spa and like it as much as I do! I'm staying at SSR for a night next week strictly to spend a day at the spa!

I thought the SSR spa was just OK. For the price of the treatments (comparing to other places I've been around the U.S.), the ambiance and extra amenities seemed sparse. The mood wasn't really set by the entrance, nor the ladies locker area, nor the lounge, which definitely had very little to offer in terms of drinks and snacks. Everything seemed a little too bright and jarring, vs. muted and serene. Now, knock $20 off each treatment, and I would have said to myself, "Well, it's decorated according to its price point."

I found the therapists performing the treatments to be delightful and competent, but the front desk CMs were rather like retail clerks, vs. greeters at other spas.

On the other hand, the workout room was awesome, and that's FREE! :Pinkbounc

So, as SSR is my home resort, I'll be back often, but probably won't be using the spa all that frequently. Not enough wow factor for the price point for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter