Back to the West 2014

Wow. I have a FP+ for Wishes on one of my Universal days, and now I for sure don't want to miss it. If you got in line for Jungle Cruise around 8, and then waited... you were in the FP area by around 9? I am just curious. I think I would love the sitting down on the 'grass' and just resting in there. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.

BEAUTIFUL, and as usual, I'll add my usual "as usual"! LOL

Thanks Tina!

I came out of this with a thumbs up for the Wishes Fastpass, especially if you have an interest in photographing the show. It's a good view of the castle. Yes, tall people can stand in front of you. But if you keep toward the back, your odds of having some room to stretch out are pretty good. Keep in mind too that you can choose either the east (by Plaza Restaurant) or west (by Crystal Palace) side to enter. So on any given night one side might be more of less crowded than the other.

I think we got to the area around 8:40 or 8:45 for a but Wishes was at 10 that night. Still, it was nice to sit on the "grass" and chill out (after setting up my tripod).

If you're doing this on a Universal day, I really recommend it since you'll be less likely to feel hemmed in by having your last FP so late in the evening (cutting off chances of a 4th FP).

Nice pixie dust! How were the cinnamon rolls? I loved the ones at the Bakery, but sadly, I'd only discovered them on my last trip before the Starbucks takeover. I've been nervous to taste the maple on them rather than the cream cheese...

Nice pixie dust! How were the cinnamon rolls? I loved the ones at the Bakery, but sadly, I'd only discovered them on my last trip before the Starbucks takeover. I've been nervous to taste the maple on them rather than the cream cheese...

We like the maple. They were a little dry, probably because it was so late in the day. But we still enjoyed them (mostly for the maple frosting). But you definitely need to like maple.

Loved your night at the MK. I always thought the PotC version at the MK is more brighter where you can see the colors instead of red when in the town over DL where it is more dark.

The spot that you watch Celebrate and Wishes is in the FP+ section? I am thinking of how to use my FP+ when I go to the MK. There are a lot of shows and rides that I want to use the FP+ for. But it will depend on what which one is more important. Or I will have to come back multiple times at the MK. Very nice exposure shots of Wishes that night.

Great updates.

Loved your night at the MK. I always thought the PotC version at the MK is more brighter where you can see the colors instead of red when in the town over DL where it is more dark.

The spot that you watch Celebrate and Wishes is in the FP+ section? I am thinking of how to use my FP+ when I go to the MK. There are a lot of shows and rides that I want to use the FP+ for. But it will depend on what which one is more important. Or I will have to come back multiple times at the MK. Very nice exposure shots of Wishes that night.

Great updates.

I agree with that assessment on POTC Bret! I've always felt like there was a little more light in the MK version, even if I do like the DL version better.

And yes, we were in the Wishes FP section. It's a tough choice with the limits of FP. But if you have a day off in the middle of your trip, or maybe arrival day when you don't plan to do much, it might be worth getting to the park for just enough time to see Wishes. If you're on a multi-day ticket, those extra days can be pretty cheap, and worth it just to have one extra shot at FPs.

Thanks for the kind words on the shots. I still struggle with how to shoot Celebrate the Magic with the right settings, then make the right changes in time for Wishes. And I blew it again. I had the ND filter along but left it in the room, so I had to limit my shutter speed more than I preferred. But thankfully I was able to adjust some of the overly bright trails in lightroom. I was still far happier with these shots than I was with the last batch I shot in 2013 on our one night stop when I missed focus on the castle slightly.

Fantastic shots of the castle and fireworks! I think that MK is just so magical all lit up at night and then capped off with beautiful fireworks going off.

Love the M&G pictures. Talking Mickey would be so fun!

Thanks for the kind words on the shots. I still struggle with how to shoot Celebrate the Magic with the right settings, then make the right changes in time for Wishes. And I blew it again. I had the ND filter along but left it in the room, so I had to limit my shutter speed more than I preferred. But thankfully I was able to adjust some of the overly bright trails in lightroom. I was still far happier with these shots than I was with the last batch I shot in 2013 on our one night stop when I missed focus on the castle slightly.

The castle projections move so fast that I think that bumping up the ISO and taking short shutter speed shots are better than a long exposure.

You left the ND in the room? At least you didn't leave the tripod.....which I HAVE done before!! :headache:

Just as PiO said that the projections move so fast, you will have to use higher shutter speed in order to get the shot. I have learned from that with "The Magic, The Memories, & You!" the old version of Celebrate the Magic at the MK where it was at DL IASW and MK Cinderella Castle. At least the projections are still at DL during Disneyland Forever fireworks and the Clock show on the facade of IASWH during the holiday season.

The main thing is that you have the tripod. I have left the ND filter in my room as well. So I know how you feel.

Excellent finish to the day! And free cinnamon rolls, nice. Although yeah, I agree, I've had some dry ones from there too which is too bad. Pour some more butter on those people! :)

I love Celebrate the Magic, more than Wishes at this point.

Looking forward to trying our Wishes FP in two weeks! What time do you think I should get there for 10 pm Wishes? Would 930 be ok? We're not picky about where we stand necessarily.

That's funny that people shouted at the guy to take the kid off his shoulders LOL. I don't get that, my husband always just held the kids at his hip to give them a boost.

I think I would love a Disney cruise. I just haven't talked Drew into it. And I can usually find too many ways to spend our entire vacation budget in the parks already. :p

DL with your friend and her 4 year old sounds awesome! I hope you can work it out.

Looks like you had a great Disneymoon. So what did DH think of sharing you with Captain Jack? ;)

He was fine with it.. Jack wasn't interested in me ::sniff:: Though Cruella Deville tried stealing my husband, totally shoved my out of the picture. I was redeemed on our one year anniversary trip to WDW when Mr. Incredible shove amy husband in a corner and wouldn't even let Mrs. Incredible be in the pic LOL

I was going to ask for feedback on French Quarter. I'd like to try that one day too. When you say size issue, do you mean the resort is smaller?

That upgrade sounds like a great score! Nothing worse than trying to sleep while the outside world parties. Where was your room that it was so close to the outside world? Bummer about the circulation. I would have felt the same way though and would not have complained a second time.

If it had been just me, I would have turned the TV on and been just fine. But Drew hates sleeping with the TV on, so that wouldn't work. I think I did finally dig out my phone and popped in some earbuds to listen to some Disney tunes. I always worry about being strangled on the earbud cords, but this was desperate times! Anyone know if they make wireless earbuds? :teeth:

The resort is MUCH smaller (smallest on property), so no matter what room you have it is just a short walk to the food, or boat/bus. There is no special themed rooms but they are very nice and the property is fun to stroll around at night.

Your Celebrate the Magic and Wishes pictures are absolutely perfect! Glad the FP area worked out for you guys. Great pictures with Mickey too! What a nice CM at Gaston's!

Fantastic shots of the castle and fireworks! I think that MK is just so magical all lit up at night and then capped off with beautiful fireworks going off.

Love the M&G pictures. Talking Mickey would be so fun!

I love all Disney fireworks. But it really is hard to beat Wishes in the MK. :)

Talking Mickey still had a bit of the creepy vibe going (which is what I sort of expected). But I was more entertained by him than I thought I would be. It was fun, definitely worth doing.

The castle projections move so fast that I think that bumping up the ISO and taking short shutter speed shots are better than a long exposure.

You left the ND in the room? At least you didn't leave the tripod.....which I HAVE done before!! :headache:

I ended up going with a high(er) ISO and short(ish) shutter speed. :rotfl: But I was happier with those shots than what I have gotten in the past. I have no CLUE what I'll do with the fireworks shots at DL since I think they combine projections with the fireworks. I mean, how am I supposed to make THAT work?

And I've made about all the possible mistakes now on the fireworks. Left the tripod on the bus. Left the filter size adapter in the room. Left the tripod bracket in the room. Left the VC on and got soft shots. And now I left the ND filter in the room. LOL. I suppose it was just a matter of time. It's just so hard to pack for evening fireworks so early in the morning before a long park day.

I now have my remote, bracket and ND filter in my tripod bag. I probably ought to add a small bag with my adapter rings and keep those in there as well.

Nice to know I'm in good company though!

Just as PiO said that the projections move so fast, you will have to use higher shutter speed in order to get the shot. I have learned from that with "The Magic, The Memories, & You!" the old version of Celebrate the Magic at the MK where it was at DL IASW and MK Cinderella Castle. At least the projections are still at DL during Disneyland Forever fireworks and the Clock show on the facade of IASWH during the holiday season.

The main thing is that you have the tripod. I have left the ND filter in my room as well. So I know how you feel.

When you say the projections are still, can I assume you mean they stay the same for a bit of time? That would certainly be a huge help and gives me some hope. I'm not sure I have it in me to stake out a spot more than one night on our trip.

Excellent finish to the day! And free cinnamon rolls, nice. Although yeah, I agree, I've had some dry ones from there too which is too bad. Pour some more butter on those people! :)

I love Celebrate the Magic, more than Wishes at this point.

Looking forward to trying our Wishes FP in two weeks! What time do you think I should get there for 10 pm Wishes? Would 930 be ok? We're not picky about where we stand necessarily.

That's funny that people shouted at the guy to take the kid off his shoulders LOL. I don't get that, my husband always just held the kids at his hip to give them a boost.

Celebrate the Magic really is wonderful, isn't it? One of the few add-ons in recent years that I can absolutely give a thumbs up.

If you're not picky about your spot, I see no reason you shouldn't get to the Wishes area just in time for Celebrate the Magic. I would think 9:30 would be fine. Just stay to the back and try to find a pocket of space. From our experience, and what I've seen posted, I think there still should be some pockets in the back.

I don't get kids on shoulders up in a crowd like that. But I really don't get it in a preferred viewing section.

He was fine with it.. Jack wasn't interested in me ::sniff:: Though Cruella Deville tried stealing my husband, totally shoved my out of the picture. I was redeemed on our one year anniversary trip to WDW when Mr. Incredible shove amy husband in a corner and wouldn't even let Mrs. Incredible be in the pic LOL

The resort is MUCH smaller (smallest on property), so no matter what room you have it is just a short walk to the food, or boat/bus. There is no special themed rooms but they are very nice and the property is fun to stroll around at night.

LOL. I love when the characters play like that. Adults should get to have fun too. :)

And thanks for the clarification on that. It makes total sense now. FQ is the one I have heard so much about through the years. Not that it matters, POR was great and I really wanted to stay in a Royal Room. But I would probably try FQ next.

Your Celebrate the Magic and Wishes pictures are absolutely perfect! Glad the FP area worked out for you guys. Great pictures with Mickey too! What a nice CM at Gaston's!

Thanks Alexesis. :) It was a great evening. We invested a lot of time on CTM and Wishes, but it was totally worth it.

The CM at Gaston's just made me smile. She was the classic Disney CM I've always heard so much about...... and I would have said the same thing even if she charged me for the cinnamon rolls. ;)

I ended up going with a high(er) ISO and short(ish) shutter speed. :rotfl: But I was happier with those shots than what I have gotten in the past. I have no CLUE what I'll do with the fireworks shots at DL since I think they combine projections with the fireworks. I mean, how am I supposed to make THAT work?

It will be an interesting shooting experience. On one hand, if you go with the traditional long shutter speed, the castle may well end up looking muddy coloured. If you go with a shorter shutter speed, the fireworks will not look so pretty.
My solution?

Shoot the fireworks show TWICE!! Which probably means either:
a) Staying longer
b) Going back to DLR for another trip.

Decisions, decisions! Bwa ha ha ha ha!

:rotfl2:

And I've made about all the possible mistakes now on the fireworks. Left the tripod on the bus. Left the filter size adapter in the room. Left the tripod bracket in the room. Left the VC on and got soft shots. And now I left the ND filter in the room. LOL. I suppose it was just a matter of time. It's just so hard to pack for evening fireworks so early in the morning before a long park day.

I now have my remote, bracket and ND filter in my tripod bag. I probably ought to add a small bag with my adapter rings and keep those in there as well.

Nice to know I'm in good company though!

::yes:: Yes, it definitely is nice to know that someone else in the world has ALSO done all of those mistakes!!! :rotfl::scared1::sad:

When you say the projections are still, can I assume you mean they stay the same for a bit of time? That would certainly be a huge help and gives me some hope. I'm not sure I have it in me to stake out a spot more than one night on our trip.

There will be some scenes during the shows that it will be still for a while and it should be no problem getting those shots. I can understand what you meant of not wanting to stake out spots during a trip in which you can use that time for something else. I am trying to plan my trip as much as I can for the WDW trip but I am still willing to stake out if I have too.

Catching up!! Love the POR pictures. I have to ever step foot on the grounds there and you took some grea pictures. The room looks fabulous!

Great shots of Marie too! Katie is getting so old!

I love love love the parade photos! You can never take or post too many.

How did you get so many FP scheduled??? Lucky!!

As much as we LOVE DL, I do miss FP+. Scheduling was much better than trekking across the park to grab a FP.

Your shots are amazing! I am so excited for you to see PTN and the new fireworks. They blew me away. Loved them!

Loving all the pictures...finally got caught back up. That is a crazy long jungle cruise line for FP's!

I love your castle photos.

What awesome pixie dust with the cinnamon rolls

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter