Back to the West 2014

There is. https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Store/Refurbished-Cameras.page I don't buy refurbished items where there can be some problems with the lenses. I don't like to do things like that but I have consider that since it could save hundreds of dollars.

I have been going back and forward with other people including online of which telephoto lens to get. I have been looking at cheap lens and good lens like the 2.8. But after trying the 2.8 last month, I wasn't ready to buy that yet unless I do sport photography. I looked at the cheap 70-300 4.5-5.6 which is an okay lens but it doesn't have the sharpness like the f/4. Like you said is what I want and this is a good lens between a good and professional lens.

I will PM you if I do have any questions on shooting Wishes from the TTC. It might be some time soon since my trip is getting closer. I plan on seeing both Wishes and HalloWishes during the trip in which I might watch both fireworks from outside of the park instead of inside which I have done plenty of times and I could get clear shots without any people in front of me (just like you were able to get in the area at the Ferry dock). I was also thinking of trying at the Poly beach which is another ideal spot as well. Plus the upper level of the Contemporary is another option as well. There are a lot of ways to watch the fireworks and get those burst shots.

Makes sense with the cropping. I would also guess that you shot portrait instead of landscape. If I do get the f/4 which is a long lens, my tripod could move during the shots. When I get the f/4, I am considering getting a lens ring so I won't have to turn my tripod head to portrait side where I can turn the lens with the ring. Do you have a ring for your telephoto lens or you just put your body on the tripod and set it up portrait way? There is a lot of questions that I am asking since I want to make good use of my time for Wishes.

ND filters are very nice for long exposure shots of the fireworks. I am thinking of getting a 6 stop ND filter for the telephoto lens which would be perfect for the trip.

I understand your hesitation. Good glass can be a big investment.

I did shoot landscape and crop to portrait, for the reason you stated. I'm not sure I've seen the lens ring you're talking about. I'll have to check that out. Although next time I would likely just go with a lighter lens after seeing that I ended up at 78mm anyway.

I have an ND8 filter, which is 3 stops. I was happy with that, although a 6 stop would be fun to try as well.

Tell me your thoughts on getting a spot up near the castle to shoot DF. Any guess on how long in advance I'd have to stake out a spot on a weeknight in late October?

I understand your hesitation. Good glass can be a big investment.

I did shoot landscape and crop to portrait, for the reason you stated. I'm not sure I've seen the lens ring you're talking about. I'll have to check that out. Although next time I would likely just go with a lighter lens after seeing that I ended up at 78mm anyway.

I have an ND8 filter, which is 3 stops. I was happy with that, although a 6 stop would be fun to try as well.

Tell me your thoughts on getting a spot up near the castle to shoot DF. Any guess on how long in advance I'd have to stake out a spot on a weeknight in late October?

For any big investment is a hesitation. I was hesitant to buy the DSLR and the glasses these last few years and I'm glad that I have not regret that. Now do I want to take it to the next level which is a big hesitation. I am not a professional photographer and just an amateur who likes to keep the memories.

I see. Now it makes sense which setting the tripod angle to portrait can be risky where it can move if not clamp tight. When I used the 2.8, it had a lens ring which i was able to turn the 2.8 to portrait without changing the head angle of the tripod. I believe this is the tripod mount ring for the 70-200mm f/4L that you have. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478561-REG/Canon_1694B001_Tripod_Mount_Ring_A_2.html That is another option of using my standard lens for Wishes from the T&TC. But I am concern losing the sharpness when I crop my pictures. I will considering trying both options.

I have different types of ND filters mostly at 3 stops. I always like the 3 stop filters which is enough but after thinking of going longer, I was considering 9 stops but it made sense to go with 6 stops before the 9 stop ND filter.

As for my thoughts of getting a spot near SB Castle for DF fireworks, it will require how much time are you willing to stake out a spot. As you know that best spot to watch the fireworks at DL is in front of SB Castle at the front or in the back area of the sidewalk area. I have stake out at least 2 hours or even longer for a front spot for the fireworks. Do you want to wait that long or not willing to do that since you want to spend your time doing other things instead of staking out. I have read that the guests that are in front of SB Castle have been sitting on the ground and standing up for DF. I don't know what is accurate since watching the fireworks where you will have to stand up no matter what. But lately, I have heard from others saying that the guests are sitting on the ground. I have not done that yet for DF since I wanted to see the projections on the facade of the Main Street buildings along with Paint the Night parade. If you see it multiple nights during your visit, I would get a spot around the Hub for DF and watch the first PtN parade and stick around for DF fireworks so you will be able to experience both in one night. The only problem I have with staking a spot for the first show of PtN is that I won't get a good decent spot for DF which you will have to be with the crowds.

During times in October during the weeknights, I would say at least an hour or longer for a stakeout around the Hub but it will depend on where you want to be. For me I would want a front or curbside spot so I will be higher than the guests in front of me or no one in front of me when I do long exposure burst shots. It can be tricky as well with the locals on the weekdays where it can be busy. But when I watched DF and PtN in May during the first week of the new shows, the locals came for just those shows and staked out at least four hours or longer which I have done during my second trip in May.

Also get a spot on MS in front of SB Castle where you are able to see the Matterhorn which it will also be projected on the facade as well during DF fireworks.

Here are pictures of DF with the 2.8 lens during my trip last month and I didn't have the extension on my tripod to get above the heads of the guests in front of me. This spot is not the ideal spot for long exposure burst shots where it is better in front of SB Castle. I would try one night in front of the Castle and one between the buildings on MS to see the projections.

This one is between the Coke Corner and the MS Photo Supply Co.

Make sure that you are in the center of the street on MS or you will not have a good spot to see the fireworks and get the bursts as you can tell from this shot with my standard lens. If you watch the first PtN parade, the CM's will tell the guests that after the Mickey float passed by, the guests will have to be on the street for PtN since the streets are cleared out for DF.

Last edited:
Thanks Bret. Those are beautiful shots!

I really do think I want to try to be up by the castle. We'll be there a whole week, so I'm willing to give one evening to getting a good spot. A couple hours isn't an issue. We've done that before. I guess I just need a heads up if that's not realistic. 3 is a stretch but not out of the question. 4 is probably out of the question. I'd like to see the projections on MS but that would be a lower priority for me.

I do love the landscaping at DL until it's time for the fireworks. It sure makes it hard to find another good spot that isn't blocked by trees. They've taken out most of the trees near the hub in the MK. I curse it during the day when I'm looking for shade and applaud it when it's time to shoot the fireworks.

I think I know now what you mean by the lens ring. I usually don't bring that along just because I want less pieces to mess with. I think I'm good with using a smaller lens for the fireworks. I want to be sure to get as much as possible in my frame.

Thanks Bret. Those are beautiful shots!

I really do think I want to try to be up by the castle. We'll be there a whole week, so I'm willing to give one evening to getting a good spot. A couple hours isn't an issue. We've done that before. I guess I just need a heads up if that's not realistic. 3 is a stretch but not out of the question. 4 is probably out of the question. I'd like to see the projections on MS but that would be a lower priority for me.

I do love the landscaping at DL until it's time for the fireworks. It sure makes it hard to find another good spot that isn't blocked by trees. They've taken out most of the trees near the hub in the MK. I curse it during the day when I'm looking for shade and applaud it when it's time to shoot the fireworks.

I think I know now what you mean by the lens ring. I usually don't bring that along just because I want less pieces to mess with. I think I'm good with using a smaller lens for the fireworks. I want to be sure to get as much as possible in my frame.

Thanks Janet.

Two to three hours is enough during the weekdays or weekends for a front spot or curbside spot close to the Hub. This is not like during May (first few weeks of the 60th Diamond Celebration) which guests waited four hours or longer for DF and PtN. When I went last month to see PtN, I had to wait about 2 hours which we didn't get a curbside but it should be no problem if you wait around 2 to 3 hours in front of SB Castle. I can understand what you are saying that seeing the projections on MS is a low priority while getting the firework trails with SB Castle is a priority for you. I haven't done it and will have to do it before this year is over.

The landscaping is fun at DL where the MK is wide open with all that construction going on. I can't wait to see what the new MK MS would be like. Finding a spot for the fireworks at DL can be tricky with all those trees that are blocking the view but if you know where to go, it will be easy for you to see the fireworks and Matterhorn Mountain during DF.

There were times where I took off the lens ring on the 2.8 where it made it a little difficult to take pictures while walking around with it where it does make sense when using a tripod. I have done a few long exposure pictures with the 2.8 with the lens ring on the tripod. If I put that 2.8 on the tripod without the lens ring attachment to the tripod, the tripod would tip down and it wouldn't be steady. Lens rings make perfect sense for big and heavy lenses where the ones that we used won't be much of an issue.

Beautiful fireworks photos!

Ending your little Disney trip by doing something new sounds like it was a great idea! I definitely want to try breakfast at Cape May one day, and it's great that you got to see some of the Epcot resorts!

No more custom pretzel rods at Goofy's in DTD?! They were still there when I got some about a year ago (early Sept 2014). So sad; they were delicious.

PHXscuba

Great pictures of DTD and POR.
I haven't had breakfast at Chef Mickey for years! I understand it's gotten to be even more of a zoo than it previously was; and the food isn't as good.
What did you think of Cape May by comparison? It's become one of my favourite resort character breakfasts to do when I'm at the world.

Fireworks at TTC is on my to-do list! You pictures have just bumped it up higher. Thanks for sharing. Those shots were beautiful.

Ok I read your TR from Sanibel grad trip onward..... I loved it! (i'm not usually a TR fan,much less looking at lots of pics, but yours is an exception!) I've only been to Sanibel once,for 3 nights, and we ate at that italian restaurant twice! our experience at shell beaches was the opposite, Blind pass was ok, and pretty at sunset, but not great shelling... the lighthouse at dawn/low tide however was incredible! just goes to show it changes every day... you gave me lots of ideas for stuff to do in upcoming trips.... and your disney time looked amazing.... I love all the non park fun you had- didn't know about the fireworks at the ttc option......

Spending my day off reading trip reports and VERY happy I stumbled upon yours!!

First off, WOW, Katie’s so grown up now!! GEEZE! (it may have been a long while since I’ve been in the TR forums…lol)

Carthay Circle is BEAUTIFUL WOW! I know so little about Disneyland and the more special stuff going on there, lol. Glad I’m reading this tr before we go back! And that’s such an incredible guest service experience, WAY better than most of the dealings I’ve had in wdw recently!!

BEAUTIFUL WOC shots! And like, every other photo I’m sure I’m going to see! What type of camera do you use? And did you have a tripod? Sorry for the millions of questions! I haven’t seen the holiday show, but I have seen the 60th show and have to say I MUCH prefer the original.

What a splendid morning in dca with ALL the characters, wow! Looks like I’ll have to make an xmas trip out to California! Beautiful shots of the Christmas parade too!

UGH Haunted mansion holiday!! SERIOUSLY MY FAVORITE THING!! I’m so happy I got to finally experience it last year! Great shots! How lucky that you found Indy fp lying around too! Great Fant shots too!! I have yet to see it in Dlr (well..back in 97, but I was a wee one…and don’t remember much aside from loving it) I’m sad we wont get to see it in May!

Katie looks so beautiful in her dance photos! And congrats to the college grad! Love the family vacay, looks like it was a lot of fun! Beautiful sunset photos! And sunrise! Wow! Also I NEED to see a gator in real life…like..lived in florida an entire year and didn’t manage to see one once. Beautiful family photos! Love the way they turned out! Wow those shells! That’s insane!! Also I’ve officially added a new place to my travel list, because it is BEAUTIFUL. LOVE riverside!! Your photos make me really want to push myself to really try new things and to improve on my own photography!! And I’m SO NOT READY for these FoF photos…Great shots! The big finale float was out too, so it was definitely a rain thing! (though I’ve seen days where they think they have a window and push out the entire full with everything parade and it downpours…)

Beautiful shots inside CRT, I hadn’t even noticed they changed the goblets until you mentioned it! How nice that you got free cinnamon rolls! And those wishes shots were GORGEOUS. AND the ones from TTC are incredible!!!

Janet, when is your next trip and where are you staying? I'm having DLR withdrawal and I need you to hurry up and do another trip report, lol. I NEED SOMETHING TO EASE THE PAIN!:rotfl2:

Looks like I missed responding to a bunch of posts. I'm such a deadbeat trip reporter! Sorry about that. It's probably too late to go back and finish up a 2014 report, but I'll at least answer the posts others were kind enough to leave.

Beautiful fireworks photos!

Ending your little Disney trip by doing something new sounds like it was a great idea! I definitely want to try breakfast at Cape May one day, and it's great that you got to see some of the Epcot resorts!

That was a year ago but I'm still so glad we did it. I had always heard about the Boardwalk area and am glad I finally explored it for myself.

Thanks Janet.

Two to three hours is enough during the weekdays or weekends for a front spot or curbside spot close to the Hub. This is not like during May (first few weeks of the 60th Diamond Celebration) which guests waited four hours or longer for DF and PtN. When I went last month to see PtN, I had to wait about 2 hours which we didn't get a curbside but it should be no problem if you wait around 2 to 3 hours in front of SB Castle. I can understand what you are saying that seeing the projections on MS is a low priority while getting the firework trails with SB Castle is a priority for you. I haven't done it and will have to do it before this year is over.

The landscaping is fun at DL where the MK is wide open with all that construction going on. I can't wait to see what the new MK MS would be like. Finding a spot for the fireworks at DL can be tricky with all those trees that are blocking the view but if you know where to go, it will be easy for you to see the fireworks and Matterhorn Mountain during DF.

There were times where I took off the lens ring on the 2.8 where it made it a little difficult to take pictures while walking around with it where it does make sense when using a tripod. I have done a few long exposure pictures with the 2.8 with the lens ring on the tripod. If I put that 2.8 on the tripod without the lens ring attachment to the tripod, the tripod would tip down and it wouldn't be steady. Lens rings make perfect sense for big and heavy lenses where the ones that we used won't be much of an issue.

As always I appreciate all of your tips and help on getting a good spot for photographing the fireworks! What a difference a year makes. Now my concerns about how early to stake out a spot have been replaced with concerns about whether I can even bring in a tripod and whether there will even BE fireworks after 9/5. :(

No more custom pretzel rods at Goofy's in DTD?! They were still there when I got some about a year ago (early Sept 2014). So sad; they were delicious.

PHXscuba

I'm still holding a grudge over that one. That reminds me. I should go buy some pretzels, chocolate and M&Ms and make my own. But definitely no more pretzel rods at Goofy's.

I'm still on the original 7D. Been toying with moving to the 5D! But I also will need the 24 - 70 f/2.8 if I go that way!

It would be a great combo. I love my Tamron version of that lens, although the limited range does frustrate me still sometimes.

Great pictures of DTD and POR.
I haven't had breakfast at Chef Mickey for years! I understand it's gotten to be even more of a zoo than it previously was; and the food isn't as good.
What did you think of Cape May by comparison? It's become one of my favourite resort character breakfasts to do when I'm at the world.

Fireworks at TTC is on my to-do list! You pictures have just bumped it up higher. Thanks for sharing. Those shots were beautiful.

I really thought the food at Cape May was a lot better than Chef Mickey. But what can I say, the Fab 5 with the monorail going through overhead? I'm sure we'll go back again. Sigh. Loved the costumes on the characters at Cape May. But it is sort of disappointing that there are only 3 there.

Great WDW report. Love your fireworks pictures

Thank you! I hope you don't regret saying that since I was such a deadbeat and didn't finish the original trip report!

Ok I read your TR from Sanibel grad trip onward..... I loved it! (i'm not usually a TR fan,much less looking at lots of pics, but yours is an exception!) I've only been to Sanibel once,for 3 nights, and we ate at that italian restaurant twice! our experience at shell beaches was the opposite, Blind pass was ok, and pretty at sunset, but not great shelling... the lighthouse at dawn/low tide however was incredible! just goes to show it changes every day... you gave me lots of ideas for stuff to do in upcoming trips.... and your disney time looked amazing.... I love all the non park fun you had- didn't know about the fireworks at the ttc option......

Thanks for the kind words. Too funny that you ate at that same restaurant. Small world, huh? Our very early plan right now is to return to Sanibel again next summer when our other son graduates college.

Spending my day off reading trip reports and VERY happy I stumbled upon yours!!

Sorry I never got this one finished!

First off, WOW, Katie’s so grown up now!! GEEZE! (it may have been a long while since I’ve been in the TR forums…lol)

Thanks Katt. Glad to see you posting again. I've been enjoying watching your photography evolve. You are doing great! And Katie? Sigh. It all really has gone too fast. She'll be a sophomore in high school this year.

Carthay Circle is BEAUTIFUL WOW! I know so little about Disneyland and the more special stuff going on there, lol. Glad I’m reading this tr before we go back! And that’s such an incredible guest service experience, WAY better than most of the dealings I’ve had in wdw recently!!

I'm so glad we got to experience Carthay Circle at least once. It was quite a memorable experience. When are you going to DLR?

BEAUTIFUL WOC shots! And like, every other photo I’m sure I’m going to see! What type of camera do you use? And did you have a tripod? Sorry for the millions of questions! I haven’t seen the holiday show, but I have seen the 60th show and have to say I MUCH prefer the original.

Thanks Katt. I have the Canon 6D. The WOC shots are handheld with a 2.8 lens. We still have not gotten to see the original WOC. We have seen the 2 holiday versions and the 60th version.

What a splendid morning in dca with ALL the characters, wow! Looks like I’ll have to make an xmas trip out to California! Beautiful shots of the Christmas parade too!

Thanks! You should try to get out there during the holiday season. It really is amazing.

UGH Haunted mansion holiday!! SERIOUSLY MY FAVORITE THING!! I’m so happy I got to finally experience it last year! Great shots! How lucky that you found Indy fp lying around too! Great Fant shots too!! I have yet to see it in Dlr (well..back in 97, but I was a wee one…and don’t remember much aside from loving it) I’m sad we wont get to see it in May!

We have only seen Fantasmic at DHS twice and three times at DLR now. DLR wins hands down. I also love Haunted Mansion Holiday. And the funny part is that I'm not even much of a Nightmare fan!

Katie looks so beautiful in her dance photos! And congrats to the college grad! Love the family vacay, looks like it was a lot of fun! Beautiful sunset photos! And sunrise! Wow! Also I NEED to see a gator in real life…like..lived in florida an entire year and didn’t manage to see one once. Beautiful family photos! Love the way they turned out! Wow those shells! That’s insane!! Also I’ve officially added a new place to my travel list, because it is BEAUTIFUL. LOVE riverside!! Your photos make me really want to push myself to really try new things and to improve on my own photography!! And I’m SO NOT READY for these FoF photos…Great shots! The big finale float was out too, so it was definitely a rain thing! (though I’ve seen days where they think they have a window and push out the entire full with everything parade and it downpours…)

I hope you do make it to Sanibel one day. You would love photographing all the sights there.

It looks like you're doing a great job pushing yourself photographically. Your shots of FoF are great! And wait, are you saying there was a finale float missing in the parade we saw?

Beautiful shots inside CRT, I hadn’t even noticed they changed the goblets until you mentioned it! How nice that you got free cinnamon rolls! And those wishes shots were GORGEOUS. AND the ones from TTC are incredible!!!

I had a great time photographing Wishes on that trip. I typically have some sort of foul up along the way each time, but these shots I was really happy with. Of course, that FP area continues to evolve, so who knows what it will be like when we finally get back. Have you tried shooting Wishes yet?

Janet, when is your next trip and where are you staying? I'm having DLR withdrawal and I need you to hurry up and do another trip report, lol. I NEED SOMETHING TO EASE THE PAIN!:rotfl2:

Thanks for thinking of my trip report Erin! When was your last trip to DLR? And do you have plans to go back?

We actually made it back last October again, but since I didn't finish this trip report, I never started a 2015 one. :(

We're still trying to work out a way to get to one of the parks this fall, maybe in November. Katie and I both really missed the holiday time at DLR.

Our last DLR trip was June 2015. We went back to WDW a few weeks ago, for the first time since 2013. I had been so in love with WDW.....until our DLR trip. I feel like DLR has all of the best things of WDW with less hassle (MBs, FP+, long commute times, humidity). So we are going back to DLR next year. I have been a huge admirer of Walt Disney since elementary school, so it also makes my heart happy knowing that he actually walked the parks. We will miss SDMT, Spaceship Earth, and the theming of AK, but I'm super excited to start planning another DLR trip.

And it's not too late to start a trip report...of course, I'm not saying that for the selfish reason of having another excellent trip report to sink my teeth into :)

I hope you and Katie make it back out there soon!

Looks like I missed responding to a bunch of posts. I'm such a deadbeat trip reporter! Sorry about that. It's probably too late to go back and finish up a 2014 report, but I'll at least answer the posts others were kind enough to leave.

oh my goodness, now I'm going to have to look back at all the beautiful photos of this TR! Lol!!And thank you SO MUCH!! It's been an incredible experience discovering photography and getting to evolve it in such a magical place!

I've got the CanonT5 right now and am thinking I want to upgrade soon ish, probably if I was to go back to live in Florida again! Not to the extreme professional level, but a step up!

If the big float is missing in FoF the characters all walk the route instead, and are in the regular outfits most days. The only thing you miss out on is the pegasus girls:

Untitled by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

I can't seem to find ANY decent float pictures! I shoot with a zoom primarily for Fof, so this might give you an idea:
Untitled by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

Pinoc is up front, then the ducks have their little spot in the middle, the pegasus girls above them and pluto has his circle at the end. It's one of the floats they brought over from Tokyo! ETA: Found one on google!

st_mk_fof_18.jpg

ETA #2: WHAT THE HECK WE WERE PROBABLY LIKE 10 FEET FROM EACH OTHER ON THE DAY YA'LL WERE WATCHING FOF! It was a week after my schedule was a little wonky, but chances are we were there that day, and you were watching RIGHT where we'd catch it in Frontierland! I'm trying to figure out if we were actually there that day or not!

Last edited:
Hi! Was reading through your post since we are doing 1 day in MK this November. My question is how did you get so many FP?? I also noticed you all had 2 magic bands on. Is there some sort of trick I am missing?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter