Backkpack/sling bag question

thor369

Mouseketeer
I wanted to get an idea from this group who have kids what has worked for you. I wanted to get a light backpack, but thinking that a sling pack may be better.
We will have diapers, wipes, extra change of clothes for two kids, iphone, refillable water bottles, poncho, light jackets for all.

Should my wife carry half of the stuff in the diaper bag and should I carry a backpack/sling bag too, or should we just take one bag to the park.
I am trying to minimize the stuff we carry.
Do we have to take our cards/ID etc?

We are staying on property at the swan and dolphin and don't get the magic bands complimentary. But I plan on buying it anyways, so I link my credit card and ticket to it, so I don't have to carry my wallet?

Unfortunately the magic bands really don't serve a purpose if you're offsite other than accessing your tickets. You can't charge purchases to your room if you don't have a Walt Disney folio account.

I only went with one kid, so my experience probably isn't as helpful. We started with the big diaper bag, then by the second day we switched to my messenger bag, threw the changing pad, some wipes and a couple diapers in it and we were fine. But we don't carry water bottles or anything else.

Even now that my kids are older, we still bring a backpack in (Jansport). We will carry the camera, ponchos, medicine, phones, wipes (they are good for more than just babies!), etc. Plus we will put small purchases in there too.

Are you bringing a stroller. We did a backpack and a couple smaller bags because it made it easier to stow stuff in the stroller basket than one big bag. We used a smaller bag with necessities that we brought with us when we parked the stroller to go into buildings or restaurants.

You will need to carry ID and cards. Swan and Dolphin are onDisney property, but are not Disney owned. You will not be able to attach a credit card to a magic band (must stay at Disney owned resort for that perk). Also, you can be asked to show your ID for alcoholic beverages as well as to use your credit cards.

One larger light back pack for the whole family. Consider putting the diapers and light jackets in ziploc or plastic bags so you can transfer to the bottom of the stroller while in the park to lighten the load. Keep the bottom of the stroller clear though for loading and unloading on the buses.

We use one backpack that is light enough to carry in whenever we drop the stroller. We bring a drawstring plastic bag (usually a shoe station bag) and put the jackets in there in the bottom of the stroller so we’re not lugging them around and they don’t get dirty or wet down there.

Majority of diapers go in a bag in the bottom of the stroller, along with rain jackets. Wipes and a couple of diapers in the backpack, along with autograph books if you’re using them, small sunscreen, snacks, etc. Extra clothes can go in backpack or in bottom of stroller, depending on how much backpack space you have. Water bottles go in case attached to the stroller (I’m not sure how to describe it, but it velcroes to the stroller handle).

We always carry wallets and i.d., even when using magic bands. I carry a very small crossbody purse, basically the size of the wallet so it’s always on me. It fits my phone, cards and chapstick. H keeps his wallet and phone in his pocket. We take turns with the backpack. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but this system has worked well for us.

For us the two bag system worked best. I carried a smaller crossbody purse (Vera Bradley hipster) in which I had my wallet, phone, sunscreen stick, chapstick, a 12 oz water bottle, emergency fruit snacks & lollipops, plus everyone's sunglasses when we went on rides. Everything else was in a backpack we kept at the stroller. I normally wear capris in the park that do not have pockets and found that the kids would sometimes need something while we were waiting in line or at a show.

Thanks for sharing your way of carrying a backpack, it definitely helps me think how we should organize and carry our backpack.
I am all about minimizing stuff that we carry.
Do we need to take poncho's with us in November?

Thanks for sharing your way of carrying a backpack, it definitely helps me think how we should organize and carry our backpack.
I am all about minimizing stuff that we carry.
Do we need to take poncho's with us in November?

That's definitely a game time decision. I'd just check the weather on a daily basis and see what the forecast is like.

We did a Kavu bag on our last two Disneyland trips. Our last trip, kids were 1.5, 2 and 4 (but the 2 year old was nearly 3 and potty trained mostly). We brought 2 diapers, a small pack of wipes, a just in case pull up, a travel size sunscreen and my phone/wallet. All of that fit with plenty of room to spare in a Kavu bag. Kavu bags are sling-type (across the front) and I think they're fairly unisex. I carried mostly and super easy to keep on for rides etc.

We don't use a diaper bag and this is our "everyday" amount of stuff (except I don't use the Kavu then, I just have a small crossbody purse). I didn't ever see a need to bring spare clothes for kids this age- once you're past the spit up stage, I figure we could just deal with it if there was a small spill or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter