Backpack or Fannypack??

IandGsmom

Just another crazy Disney lady
Ok all you Disney experts..Which do you prefer and why? I am tireed of carrying both and need help so I don't turn into the Hunchback of WDW.:confused:

I prefer the backpack since it can hold more than the fannypack. We usually take our rain ponchos, a bottle of water, passes, money, and camera. You can't fit all of that in the fannypack.

We started out with both and have worked our way down to one fanny pack for the whole family. We carry only the bare minium. Money, passes, cheep-o ponchos and a small carmara. Sometimes DS will carry his own fanny pack but most of the time we make due with one.

Jordan's mom

Jordan's Mom, you're a much better packer than me. I'd never get all that in a fanny pack. I use a small back pack which is easier on my back than the fanny pack seems to be.

Like BCVOwner2002, I carry a water bottle (sometimes 2 but not often), 2 rain ponchos and usually a ziploc bag of peanuts and sunflower seeds for the squirrels, ducks and other birds we run across. Sunglasses, and an all important eye glass repair kit. Last time I lost a screw out of my glasses and ended up having to leave the park to go to the on site gas station. My id cards, I keep in a waterproof cigarette holder around my neck.

We prefer a fannypack. With a backpack, you really have to take it off to comfortably sit on the rides. Fannypacks are much easier to deal with.

Shop around for the right fannypack. You can find ones that carry quite a bit. It should have room for your camera plus a little extra. Your camera should be the biggest thing by far that you carry. Cheap ponchos come folded up very small, and then you just toss them in the trash when you're done. We don't put our water in the fanny pack at all--we just carry it. You could buy a bottle strap if you didn't want to carry it. As long as you take a mid-day break and order a drink with each of your meals, one 24 oz bottle of water should be able to get you through half a day except for during the hottest months.

Our fanny pack is quite a nice size. It is a Mickey one that we got at the world of disney store. We too use those tiny disposable ponchos that take up almost no room. We don't often carry water because we go in the winter and we just don't need as much as we do in warmer weather.We started out carrying water, snacks the whole nine yards but now I just budget that into our food budget. We don't eat a lot of snacks and if DS wants something,I have learned that gift shops have small packs of character shaped pretzels, cookies and crackers for under a dollar each. Saves having to carry my own!

Jordan's mom

I would love to find one of those large fanny packs that have a place for a bottle on both sides. I've seen them at WDW but can't locate one in any of the sporting good stores in my area. Every year I tell myself I'm going to stop someone I see with one and ask where the got it... but I never do. I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere else. My backpack is a WDW 2000 backpack. I bought it at DtD for $12.00 so you know it's not that large. It's the size of a normal back pack but thinner and really comfortable. Of course Disney doesn't want it to last forever (you might not buy another LOL) so I've worn it to death. This year I gave in and spent a whole $30 (big spender ain't I? ;) ) for a Nike one that I like. Now I've got to figure out how to decorate it for Disney.

Cheryl

WorknFires - what a great idea - an eyeglass repair kit! We usually travel in the summer and sunglasses aren't made the way they used to be! I'm adding the kit to my shopping list and will definitely pick one up before our trip in June. Thanks for the tip. Annmarie

Worknfires,

I just ordered one off E-bay this week for 11.00 including shipping. Another source is (don't laugh) Pet?? UGGGHHHH! I cannot think of the name of it! It is not PetCo, but is a major chain. Anyway, they have fanny packs with two water bottles and a collapsible (sp?) bowl. Of course you won't need the bowl, but they were about $20 online.

Whats anyone's experience in how bags/backpacks are searched at the gates. I would imagine that fannypack would be easier in that regard, but I was thinking backpack 'cause its hard for me to pack light!

I like to use a small backpack. I bring in frozen water to the parks which last me all day. I don't really mind carrying them on the rides with me. I just find they fit a lot more then fanny packs, whic not to mention I find very uncomfortable.

LOL At 1st I thought you were saying to paid $11 for an eyeglass repair kit, tonilea, then my brain finally caught up! LOL
Do you still have the link to your ebay purchase? I'd like to look at the picture. I've looked thru everything they've got now with no success.

Unfortunately, it wasn't my sunglasses Annmarie. I was walking around with one eye shut cause the other was blurry from where the lens fell out.

Cheryl

Thank you for bidding in the Sports:Sporting Goods:Camping, Hiking, Backpacking:Backpacks category, tonilea!

We appreciate the trading you do on eBay and want to confirm the details of your bid.

Item name: Jansport waterbottle holder
Item number: 1854592188
Your current bid: $7.78
Your maximum bid: $10.00
End date: Monday, Sep 02, 2002 21:22:50 PDT
Current price: $8.50

To view the item you're bidding on, click here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854592188&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

Hopefully I did that right! By the way, the pet store is PetSmart!
And it is available on line.

Good luck!

I can sympathize w/ the blurry part too! Last trip I lost a contact lens. I forgot to pack extras and my RX was up. Plus, my former eye doctor would not authorize even one temp. lens.

Since last year, after 9/11 and the Security Check, I do not use a fanny pac or Bookbag. I use my pockets.:o That way I breeze right thru security.:D

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to check at PetSmart and see if they have something similar.

Cheryl

When we were at MK in June there was a long line for backpacks so when we went back a few days later we just carried our water with us and didn't bother with a back pack or fanny pack. We didn't have a problem in any of the other parks. Annmarie

Description:

Fanny Pack by Outward Hound
This pack is designed specifically to make long dog walks and day hikes with your pet more enjoyable. Includes a water bottle for you plus one for your pet and a free custom-fit Port-a-Bowl water bowl and plenty of space for all your dog's gear.

Fanny Pack with Bottles $19.99 Choose an option Green/Red
qty.

==============================================
It is listed under
Travel corner - Creature Comforts

Item #381028 Fanny Pack with Bottles IN STOCK $19.99

Sub Total $19.99
Shipping & Handling
Basic $5.99
Total $25.98

I cut and pasted this.... it was kinda hard to find. Go to www.petsmart.com and use Item code 381028

Hope this helps!

Here's the rule in our family - You want it in the park you carry it.

I have a small shoulder sling purse that I carry. It fits our tickets, money, credit cards, a slimline camera, gum, chapstick hard candy & mine & DH's sunglasses if need be. (very cramped then)

3 DD's each of their own fanny pack to carry snacks & cameras & they also have a shoulder strap water bottle holder. We freeze the water over night which is great.

If they think they will need a sweatshirt then they tie it around their waist.

We have been doing this since my twin DD's were 5 & the other one was 8. It has worked well because each person is responsible for their own items & no one is lugging around a large backpack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter