Backpack or no backpack?

Kimberly E.

Earning My Ears
My question is to Ryno or anyone with a backpack similar in size to his. I think his backpack is really cute and it seems practical, especially for Orlando’s weather (water bottle, poncho, extra shoes, etc.) Does it work, stowaway-wise, on every ride? Does it fit if the ride has one of those pockets on the back of the seat in front of you? Is it ever a hassle?

I always bring a backpack to the parks. I keep a water bottle, sunscreen, camera (DSLR and extra lense), phone charging battery pack and raingear in it.
In general, it either fits under the seat for a ride or it sits on the floor of the ride and I use one hand wrapped about the straps to hold onto it. Rarely does it fit in a seat pocket, but I don't find it to be a hassle.

We carry a Camelbak backpack with water, rain gear, whatever we're getting signed that trip, etc. My wife puts the backpack at her feet on rides, and puts her leg through a strap on fast rides (BTMR, SM, 7DMT). We've never had any problem and find having it is more helpful then any annoyance of carrying it.

Certain rides you have to store it in a special area (FoP, Soarin) but it's no big deal.

My question is to Ryno or anyone with a backpack similar in size to his. I think his backpack is really cute and it seems practical, especially for Orlando’s weather (water bottle, poncho, extra shoes, etc.) Does it work, stowaway-wise, on every ride? Does it fit if the ride has one of those pockets on the back of the seat in front of you? Is it ever a hassle?
The backpacks don't usually fit in the pouches, but you just put it on the floor of the ride vehicle and place one of your legs through the strap. I carry a 12L backpack and it holds everything we need for the days at the parks.
Personally I prefer an actual backpack as the string backpack straps are uncomfortable. You can find plenty of 10L - 12L backpacks on Amazon.

The last 2 times we've gone has been January and what we did was to bring a string pack to put the jackets in after it warmed up. We put it in a pocket so that we didn't have to do bag check. It worked great for January.

But

We're going in a week and will be bringing a backpack with us. August is beyond hot and is usually rainy (it certainly has been this year!). We'll have water, Nuun tabs, rain gear and cooling off towels & fans. I'll add a string pack in case DDs want to take off and do their own thing. Like the others we just put one of our legs through the holes on rides. I use an LLBean stowaway pack.

I always bring a backpack to the parks. I keep a water bottle, sunscreen, camera (DSLR and extra lense), phone charging battery pack and raingear in it.
In general, it either fits under the seat for a ride or it sits on the floor of the ride and I use one hand wrapped about the straps to hold onto it. Rarely does it fit in a seat pocket, but I don't find it to be a hassle.
Thank you!

We carry a Camelbak backpack with water, rain gear, whatever we're getting signed that trip, etc. My wife puts the backpack at her feet on rides, and puts her leg through a strap on fast rides (BTMR, SM, 7DMT). We've never had any problem and find having it is more helpful then any annoyance of carrying it.

Certain rides you have to store it in a special area (FoP, Soarin) but it's no big deal.
Thank you!

The last 2 times we've gone has been January and what we did was to bring a string pack to put the jackets in after it warmed up. We put it in a pocket so that we didn't have to do bag check. It worked great for January.

But

We're going in a week and will be bringing a backpack with us. August is beyond hot and is usually rainy (it certainly has been this year!). We'll have water, Nuun tabs, rain gear and cooling off towels & fans. I'll add a string pack in case DDs want to take off and do their own thing. Like the others we just put one of our legs through the holes on rides. I use an LLBean stowaway pack.
Thank you. It sounds like you are really prepared. What are nuun tabs?

We were just there and I wore a drawstring back pack. If you are going to have any weight to the bag at all, I wouldn't suggest a drawstring pack but we keep it very light. A rain poncho for each of us, a very small spray on sunscreen, charging cord, and some other misc light items is all we (I) carry.

I suspect Ryno carries a backpack for all the camera gear he has to bring.

Personally, I hate having any bags with me and go for the minimalist approach. If it doesn't fit in the pockets of my shorts, it doesn't go with me.

We always take 1 backpack with us and take everything we think we will need, Sunscreen, water bottles rain gear, batteries for our phones and a few quick snacks

anyone have recommendations for a good backpack that isnt too big and bulky but is comfortable and supportive for water bottles and such

I always have a backpack with us. It's large enough to fit sunscreen, 2 water bottles on the outside, a medium size camera with a case, 2 rolled up water resistance jackets that come in their own pouches, a wallet and a shirt or two if packed right. The only issue I had was at FoP with the cubby you put your gear in. I was able to put it on the floor right under them though. It fits on all other rides.

We always carry a backpack, and it’s never been an issue. We keep sunscreen, hand sanitizer, phone chargers, etc. When we go on rides, just put a leg thru the strap. Keeping everything in the backpack leaves our hands free.

anyone have recommendations for a good backpack that isnt too big and bulky but is comfortable and supportive for water bottles and such

I have a backpack I love that I got on Amazon. It's a knockoff of those Fjallraven canvas backpacks that are trendy right now (and have been around forever). The one I got I've used twice so far - once for a music festival and once for a long day at a local amusement park. I love that it has two water bottle pockets - they are not the largest but will fit a slimmer reusable bottle or a regular 20oz. soda or water bottle just fine. At the park I had my Kleen Kanteen in one side and a 20oz. of Diet Coke in the other and it was fine. It's not really big enough that it can get weighed down and the bag has enough structure so it's just just flopping around like a lot of the cheaper bags. I also love that it has a zippered pocket in front, a little one on the back that can fit a phone or wallet (I kept my wallet in there, don't have to worry about someone getting into your bag while it's on your back), and it has pockets inside including another zippered pocket. It comes in a lot of fun colors and is a lot cheaper than the name brand one.

It's called BESTIE 12" Cute Mini Small Backpack Purse Travel Bag, 11.8x8.3x4.7in
If you do a search on Amazon it should come up.

I always have a drawstring bag as I bring bottles of water into the parks, plus my refillable mug in case I resort hop (also easier to grab a drink on the way back to my room.
I think Disney needs to have a separate bag check line for people with one small to medium bag as I get fed up stuck behind people who bring more stuff in several bags. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet.

I always have a drawstring bag as I bring bottles of water into the parks, plus my refillable mug in case I resort hop (also easier to grab a drink on the way back to my room.
I think Disney needs to have a separate bag check line for people with one small to medium bag as I get fed up stuck behind people who bring more stuff in several bags. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet.
Probably because it would get clogged with people trying to use that line to get their ginormous backpack or diaper bag through...

I use an across the body small purse, 8"X6". I keep a poncho, my cards, ID, chapstick, sunglasses, protein bar, and clip my water bottle to the strap ring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!