Backstage Magic Help needed!

LocustPoint

DIS Veteran
My DH and I leave on 11/3 for the 11/4 Backstage Magic tour. We will have the day to ourselves prior to the welcome dinner and I want to take the opportunity to visit either Universal Studios or Warner Brothers Studios. I have been going back and fourth over both expanded tours. Neither my DH or I have been to Universal Hollywood and I am a big Harry Potter Fan so both studios have something to offer us. Which would you do?

My DH and I leave on 11/3 for the 11/4 Backstage Magic tour. We will have the day to ourselves prior to the welcome dinner and I want to take the opportunity to visit either Universal Studios or Warner Brothers Studios. I have been going back and fourth over both expanded tours. Neither my DH or I have been to Universal Hollywood and I am a big Harry Potter Fan so both studios have something to offer us. Which would you do?

You say you have the day to yourselves. You mean the day of the dinner or the day before the dinner? If it is the day of the dinner, have you checked how many hours the tours are?

You say you have the day to yourselves. You mean the day of the dinner or the day before the dinner? If it is the day of the dinner, have you checked how many hours the tours are?

I'm talking about the day of the welcome dinner. The Warner Brothers tour is 5 1/2 hours and Universal is about six. Universal is only one subway stop away and Warner Brothers is either a short taxi ride or a 15 minute bus ride

A lot of the Universal backlot was damaged in the fire -- and even before that the backlot tour had been scaled back. I have never taken the Warner Brothers tour but the last time we went to Universal -- which was BEFORE the fire -- was not that impressive. Sorry, Universal. No way the Universal backlot set takes 5.5 hours -- 30 minutes tops. Now if you are interested in doing rides, etc. Universal has those but nothing relating to Harry Potter.

Universal Studios has a VIP tour that takes people all over the park and, I believe, includes a nice lunch. I know people who have taken it and really enjoyed it. It is true about the fire with King Kong and the other set being wiped out. My only concern is getting back, in time, for the initial get together and then the dinner. You really don't want to miss that part. I am not sure what time each tour starts and then get you back to the hotel? Remember, if you take a cab, you have to get through LA traffic. Some things to think about. :-)

We arrived on the day of the dinner. We had alot to see and do right there at the hotel. Next time, I want to tour Graumans and have ice cream at the Soda Fountain. We were going after Jimmy Kimmel Live (evening show) but it closed early. We did have breakfast there as part of the tour, but I still would have liked to have ice cream. :)

Take a look at Brad K web site I believe he went to both ,prior to the 1st Backstage Magic Tour.

Pm me if you need the web site.

Thanks everyone. We have decided to just do Universal Studios and then we will be able to head back when we feel like it so we don't miss the welcome dinner. As much as I want to do the Warner Brothers tour I think the timing would be too tight.

Thanks everyone. We have decided to just do Universal Studios and then we will be able to head back when we feel like it so we don't miss the welcome dinner. As much as I want to do the Warner Brothers tour I think the timing would be too tight.

I ended up doing the Warner Bros. tour the day of. The welcome get together started at 4 pm in the hotel area. Dinner was approx. 5 pm in the same area around the corner.

I got back to the welcome dinner at 4:10 pm and people came in after me.

You could do the Warner Bros. one. I believe it starts at 10:20 am and ends right about 4 and it took me only about 10 mts. via cab to get back.

At the welcome get together they just give out the name tags and lanyards and get to know each other a little bit before the dinner.

But it would also be best to make ressies for Warner Bros. before you get there, as the 10:20 am fills up quickly. I signed up way ahead of time.

Whatever you do, have a great time. Both tours seem great.

BTW - Ellen's show is on the Warner Bros. Lot now so that would be cool to see. They were still working on her soundstage when I went in Sept.

Is there a Harry Potter thing there? I heard they were going to do one in Florida, but CA too?

It has been a year since we did the Warner Brothers tour, but there was a Harry Potter exhibit then. It was way cool. We saw props from all the movies. My favorite was the "bedroom under the staircase" It was tiny.

I am not sure if it is still there, but it was great.

I did USH (not the tour, just the park) and was able to make it back to the hotel by 3 to get ready for the dinner.

It's ok, the ABD guides won't scold you for it... much...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter