Bacon: Microwave or Frying Pan?

DH eats his weight in burgers every week, so this sounds interesting. What do you set the oven to, and for how long? Backing sheet? I'd love to try it!
I put them in the frying pan, I guess a baking sheet would do the same. I put the oven on 350 and cooked them about 10 minutes. I make thin burgers , I don't care for thick, but just keep on eye on them if you are cooking thick it may take a little longer. I did not cover them either. They came out delicious and tender......

I put them in the frying pan, I guess a baking sheet would do the same. I put the oven on 350 and cooked them about 10 minutes. I make thin burgers , I don't care for thick, but just keep on eye on them if you are cooking thick it may take a little longer. I did not cover them either. They came out delicious and tender......
Thin burgers are where it’s at. The quality of a burger is the sum of its parts and if any part dominates, it’s out of balance.

Thin burgers are where it’s at. The quality of a burger is the sum of its parts and if any part dominates, it’s out of balance.

For me I am just not a thick burger person. I mean if I eat out and they are that way I will eat it, just prefer thin...….to bad I am not thin....:rolleyes1:rotfl2:
Thin burgers are where it’s at. The quality of a burger is the sum of its parts and if any part dominates, it’s out of balance.[/QUOTE

The one time I cooked bacon in the oven, my entire oven was smoking and there was grease EVERYWHERE. My oven has a convection fan that turns on even if you don't choose the convection setting, so maybe that is why. Or maybe I put the oven too high. Either way, it splattered just as much as it does on the stovetop except it simply covered every surface of my oven.

99% of the time, we eat the precooked thick cut Kirkland bacon from Costco. It's tasty and fast and no mess. The one day a year that I make a fancy brunch (Xmas eve), I cook high quality applewood smoked bacon in a wok. The large surface area allows me to lay slices all around the edges and cook a lot at once.

I'm guessing the key to oven baking is putting it on a rack . I didn't know that step and when I did it the bacon was just sitting in a ton of grease and didn't cook at all . I too have a convection oven so that could be part too. I just know I had a mess and pan of grease to take out of the oven without spilling it was hard.

Frying pan is so much faster.

Oven for sure. Foil in a rimmed baking sheet, racks on top, bacon on that. Oven preheated to 400. Perfect every time and pretty easy cleanup as well.

How do you prefer to cook bacon?

I can see advantages in both depending on your goal. Microwave less greasy and more crispy, frying pan more chewy and "traditional" tasting.

EDIT: Or Oven!

Skillet
I cook it slow on low/med heat and it's always perfectly crispy. Need the 'grease' to fry dh's eggs in afterward.

I'm guessing the key to oven baking is putting it on a rack . I didn't know that step and when I did it the bacon was just sitting in a ton of grease and didn't cook at all . I too have a convection oven so that could be part too. I just know I had a mess and pan of grease to take out of the oven without spilling it was hard.

If you line the cookie sheet with parchment paper, the grease gets absorbed as it bakes and doesn't smoke/splatter in the oven and makes it easier to toss in the trash when the bacon is done cooking.

Bonus: Cooking it in the oven will make the whole house smell like bacon.:teeth:
Bigger bonus: Cooking bacon any way will make the whole house smell like bacon :D

No option presented in the OP for me. Over an open fire campfire :teeth:

I’ve used the frying pan and the microwave, but the air fryer beats them both.
I have asked for one of these for Christmas. We made bacon on Sunday, and I was wondering if I could do bacon in an air fryer. Now I know!

For larger amounts, usually in the oven on a baking rack over foil-lined cookie sheet.

For a couple slices quickly in the morning, I'll use the microwave (with a lot of paper towels).

Another vote for oven
350 degrees
Parchment paper (overhang a little) on a rimmed sheet
I pour the accumulated grease off into a ceramic mug halfway through. The parchment overhang makes a nice little spout. Sometimes I pour more grease off 3/4 way through too.
The bacon cooks flat and evenly, so there are no white fatty spots.

Oven.350 degrees.On parchment,with fresh ground pepper and a nice sprinkling of brown sugar.Sublime.
I'll second this!! But we only do it for special occasions. A local BBQ joint calls this "Pig Candy".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter