• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bad News For OnWithTheShow

OnWithTheShow

No Entangling Alliances
Well for the second consecutive summer the Entertainment Management Internship Program at Walt Disney World has been cancelled. Following a very successful interview in January of 2001 it has been two years now waiting to be able to do the program. I will most likely still return to WDW this summer however I am not yet sure what I will do. I am a little tired of Merchandise and I can pretty much have my pick of hourly positions. What does everyone on the Board think I should do? I am leaning towards Tower right now but Great Movie Ride is also high on my list. So feel free to offer suggestions (anything but characters).

Great Movie Ride....can you be a gangster (no, I'm tawkin' to da dame in da funny lookin' outfit") or cowboy outlaw???? It looks like a fun ride to
be part of ......

How about HM?
Or how about the bottom of Summit Plumit. You know what I'm talking about.:eek:

Why not Characters? If you are going into an Entertainment Management Internship, Characters play a huge role in Entertainment. Wouldn't it be smart to know what that end of the business is like on a first hand basis? I'm sure once you become an Entertainment Manager, your performers would respect you more knowing that you've been in their shoes before.

Just a thought.

I have thought about entertainment however I have always been primarily a tech guy. I am much more focused on the shows than the street characters. I have extensive technical background here at school and is really what I want to stick too. As far as being a Gangster or Bank Robber I would love it. Especially the gangster being that I am from Jersey. Unfortunately you need a years seniority to get either of these positions.

Character performers are in just as many shows as to be found on the streets. I'm sure you didn't know that 75% of the performers in "Festival of the Lion King" at Animal Kingdom are statused in the Character department.

Also, Entertainment managers are not ONLY managers for shows. They are for shows, parades and Characters on the streets. So, in essence, back to my original post, your Cast would respect you more as a manager if they knew you were in their shoes at one point.

You may be interested in only the technical side, but an Entertainment manager should be well rounded.

Not downing what you want to do in life. Just trying to give you some good suggestions for a successful future.

:)

Don't count on Mansion, they just cut back the CPs there due to seniority issues, although there's plenty of room at Aladdin or Jungle. When did you find out about the cancellation of the internships? I feel pretty bad because I could have told you that back in October (I'm going for one at CC... I may be able to transfer, though).

Steve,
There are actually several distinct groups of internships. There are the College Program run advanced internships and there are the Entertainment run internships (these are the two groups I know about, there may be more.) As a campus rep for the CP I knew that most of there internships were not being held. Cast Members from other areas were transferred to perform most of the roles offered as advanced internships so that they would have to leave the company. I can only assume that the same thing happened in Entertainment, however they only reached the decision not to hold their internships last week (I am sure of this because I have been in close contact with the program's organizer) BTW what is CC?

CC is WDW Creative Costuming.
I was told back in October or November that there would probably be no entertainment internships until at least Fall 2002.
I am quite aware of the different varieties of internships available, and of the inconsistencies in communication that occur when there is more than one business unit in charge of something.

Any position you have at WDW is part of the ENTERTAINMENT!! :)
I was always told it is all part of the show ;)
So no matter where you end up, I am sure you will do great and have many chances to show your worth!! and to learn as you go along.
GOOD LUCK!! and let us know where you end up and we will come see you and tell everyone how great you are!!!:D

ps....my vote is the GMR ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter