Bad trip experiences

summerville20

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

This is my first attempt at posting a new thread to the boards.

Recently I took my small family of myself, my wife, my daughter(3), and son(9 months) to Disney. I've been planning my trip since October of 2014 with the trip occurring late February/early March. Our trip was supposed to consist of travel on Friday from our hometown of Charlotte, NC down to Orlando spending the night outside of the park, Driving in to the park on Saturday morning and spending Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in the parks and nights at our resort (All-Star Movie).

My trip started well because my kids were phenomenal in the car. We're talking about a 10 hour car ride. I had used TripAdvisor to check on a hotel for our stay on Friday evening. I found a Ramada just outside of the park to stay. Turns out that Ramada wasn't that great. Maybe it was just our room, Maybe it was the whole hotel, but it was dirty. Smelled and looked like a muddy, wet dog had been allowed to roll around in our beds. Since I'm the one who found this hotel of course my wife let me have it. Husbands you know what I'm talking about. Thank God for smart phones because I checked expedia and found the Hilton Bonnet Creek had availability. Now I'm a novice to Disney and the Orlando area so I had no idea that Hilton Bonnet Creek was on Disney property. This Hilton was the highlight of my trip.

Fast forward to Saturday morning, we woke up to overcast skies. We knew they were calling for a chance of rain. From the time that we parked our car at the TTC it rained, nay, it poured. We went straight to our fastpass character meet and greet for Cinderella and Rapunzel. We then rode the Carousel. While standing in line I did see Corey and Julie Martin, but didn't have a chance to speak with them. We then went to the BBB for my 3 yr old daughter to get her princess treatment. Afterwards we ate lunch in a crowded Pinocchio house, proceeded to move over to the Mickey's Philharmagic, and then rode It's a Small World. After Small World we moved to get in line at Peter Pan, it was then that my daughter got sick and threw up in line. (If you recently were at Disney World and you stepped in that vomit, I apologize). We decided at that point to take it back to the resort and try to regroup and let her recover. If you're counting, that is 5 "attractions" that I was able to take in. When we got to the AllStar Movie Resort we were all soaked and on the 3rd floor of the 101 Dalmatians unit. With a sick 3 yr. old and a drenched 9 mo old, I was carrying all of the bags in while my wife took care of the kids.

When we all got settled in to our room, my wife decided that I should run out to Target to pick up some just in case sickness items: gatorade, pedialite, diapers, popsicles, etc. When I googled Target, it showed a super target back up I-4, near the Holy Land experience. I took off. I drove the 25 minutes back to that Target all the while my wife is back in the room with my daughter who continues to throw up. I finally got back with all of our items, and got some dinner at the food court. We then attempted to go to bed. It was around 8 PM at this time. My daughter continued to throw up regularly just about every 30 minutes until around 10:30, when my wife decided it was just time to take her to the ER.

2:30 AM my wife and daughter come back in to the room, where I was staying with my son to let him continue sleeping. Her stomach bug was caused by a bladder infection, according to the ER doctor, and she shouldn't eat food or be active for a few days. Well that just canceled my trip.
(By the way I found out from the lobby that there is a Target just about 3 miles away from the resort.)

Sunday morning we woke up at 6:30 and drove home. So total drive time = 20 hours. time spent in the park = 4 hours. Time spent in the ER = 4 hours. Time spent in Orlando = 32 hours.

So maybe this was therapeutic for me. Maybe you have an experience similar to this where you felt like your trip was doomed from the beginning. Maybe you need to share your story. Please do so.

awww I am so sorry to hear all that... we came that Saturday too (resort day) and thankfully that is all we had planned because it did rain ALL day that day but the rest of the week was GORGEOUS! I wish I had a magic wand to make your trip better :(

Thank you both. It has taken a few days but I finally just laugh about it. I mean how awful can a trip be to the Happiest Place on Earth???

It always seemed like out son would get sick at the most inopportune times; just before a trip, etc.
I hope your next trip is better!

Oh, man, that is rough. Sorry your little one was so sick and sorry that your vacation plans didn't go as imagined. Hoping you and your family have a fantastic time next vacation.

I'm so paranoid about getting sick at Disney. A few weeks before our trip, I start pumping everyone full of vitamins, multi, C-packs, & B12. Plus I keep us away from icky germs & any people that are sick or might be sick. We also wash our hands & use hand sanitizer often the entire trip. Actually before we leave, I'm on double duty reminding everyone to wash, wash, wash. I also bring all the vitamins with us on our trip to keep up that immune system. I know you can't prevent everything, but I try. :)

I'll add this-

First day, up at the crack of dawn to get to rope drop at MK. Heading down the stairwell to go to the bus stop (also All Star Movies- Might Ducks). One in our party voids not just from one orifice, but two!! Holy ISH! I thought our day was ruined and was ready to cry, but after getting cleaned up, person rallied and we had a full day at the park (minus the welcoming show, but still got there at about 7:15 when park opened at 7).

There were two other vomiting incidences - another person in our party got sick in their room, violently so, and yet another was sick on the airplane ride home. Lawd have mercy!

About 8 years ago I was standing in front of Cinderella's Castle, staking out a great place to shoot some video, and, as usual, some people came up behind and sat on the pavement, knowing that they had people standing in front of them, but they sat anyway. Cinderellabration began, and this group kept screaming at me to sit down, and I wouldn't because It would have prevented me from getting good video, which I am fanatical about. I finally had to tell them that I was NOT going to sit down, and the one guy jumped up, and I figured that I was going to have to brain him with my camera, but he ran in the opposite direction. Well, I knew that he was going to get Diianey Security involved in this. I continued to record to the end of the presentation, and looked behind me, and lo and behold, there was this guy with 2 Disney representatives and an Osceola deputy coming my way. I thought, Oh no, they're going to throw me out of the park, so I stood my ground. They asked me what the problem was and I explained to them in no uncertain terms, that I didn't have a problem...He had the problem. After I explained my case, the gentleman(term used very lightly)started getting mouthy. I explained that any person with at least an average intelligence would realize that Disney does everything for a reason, and that if they wanted us to sit for this performance, they would have provided seating for us. They agreed, scolded the man and sent him on his way. The thing that bothers me the most is, there were probably 50 or 60 people standing beside me, but he chose to single me out...a big guy that used to be a bouncer and could have taken him apart. Never ceases to amaze me. I know that everyone wants to see the performance, but a little common sense can go a long way. If there is no seating, there is no seating. If you want to sit, than accept the view that you have, or stand. Don't expect other people who may not or cannot sit, to accomadate you. Rant over. That is all.

I'll add this-

First day, up at the crack of dawn to get to rope drop at MK. Heading down the stairwell to go to the bus stop (also All Star Movies- Might Ducks). One in our party voids not just from one orifice, but two!! Holy ISH! I thought our day was ruined and was ready to cry, but after getting cleaned up, person rallied and we had a full day at the park (minus the welcoming show, but still got there at about 7:15 when park opened at 7).

There were two other vomiting incidences - another person in our party got sick in their room, violently so, and yet another was sick on the airplane ride home. Lawd have mercy!

Ouch you were dealing with multiple sick parties. At least you roughed it out. That's devotion.

About 8 years ago I was standing in front of Cinderella's Castle, staking out a great place to shoot some video, and, as usual, some people came up behind and sat on the pavement, knowing that they had people standing in front of them, but they sat anyway. Cinderellabration began, and this group kept screaming at me to sit down, and I wouldn't because It would have prevented me from getting good video, which I am fanatical about. I finally had to tell them that I was NOT going to sit down, and the one guy jumped up, and I figured that I was going to have to brain him with my camera, but he ran in the opposite direction. Well, I knew that he was going to get Diianey Security involved in this. I continued to record to the end of the presentation, and looked behind me, and lo and behold, there was this guy with 2 Disney representatives and an Osceola deputy coming my way. I thought, Oh no, they're going to throw me out of the park, so I stood my ground. They asked me what the problem was and I explained to them in no uncertain terms, that I didn't have a problem...He had the problem. After I explained my case, the gentleman(term used very lightly)started getting mouthy. I explained that any person with at least an average intelligence would realize that Disney does everything for a reason, and that if they wanted us to sit for this performance, they would have provided seating for us. They agreed, scolded the man and sent him on his way. The thing that bothers me the most is, there were probably 50 or 60 people standing beside me, but he chose to single me out...a big guy that used to be a bouncer and could have taken him apart. Never ceases to amaze me. I know that everyone wants to see the performance, but a little common sense can go a long way. If there is no seating, there is no seating. If you want to sit, than accept the view that you have, or stand. Don't expect other people who may not or cannot sit, to accomadate you. Rant over. That is all.

Hey look if you were there in place before this other guy then it's his fault for not getting there first. What a pain in the butt.

I'm so paranoid about getting sick at Disney. A few weeks before our trip, I start pumping everyone full of vitamins, multi, C-packs, & B12. Plus I keep us away from icky germs & any people that are sick or might be sick. We also wash our hands & use hand sanitizer often the entire trip. Actually before we leave, I'm on double duty reminding everyone to wash, wash, wash. I also bring all the vitamins with us on our trip to keep up that immune system. I know you can't prevent everything, but I try. :)

I had two bottles on my person and wiped her hands at each opportunity. It was inevitable.

We once got food poisoning on the way down, so the entire family spent our first day sick in our rooms. We got to know our Mouskeeper VERY well. My mom said she was glad we upgraded to deluxe.

Aww Summerville, I'm so sorry to read about your very UNmagical trip, but I admire your spirit as you laugh now & plan your next WDW vacation.

I've got no DW vomit stories to share (thankfully)!
I just wanted to say sorry summerville.....I hope your next trip is SICK.......meaning amazing! :thumbsup2 :hyper:

Oh Summerville I feel so bad for you! Our trip earlier this month was almost a no-go because of the snow and I was hearbroken. But to actually get down there and have to leave after 1 day, and to be worried about your sick daughter on top of it I'm sure, that's so much worse :worried:

I hope you guys are able to plan another trip soon and it's a magical one! :flower3:

OP you win for worst experience ever! I feel really bad for you and your family. I hope you can plan a do-over! *hugs*

On my very first trip to Disney my inlaws decided at the last minute to join us. FIL spent most of the trip complaining about prices, calling everything a rip off, arguing with Cast Members, throwing tantrums and being generally disagreeable and Magic-draining. He also kept disappearing without telling anyone to get food, MIL wouldn't let us get on a ride until FIL was found, then FIL would spend the next hour complaining about the price of the food he just bought. Over and over. He also demanded we leave the park just as Wishes started because of the crowd.

I wanted to put him in a cone of shame, tie him to a tree, and leave him there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter