Bag delivery disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanh

Mouseketeer
So we arrived last night to the Orlando airport at 8:45 and rode ME to POR arriving around 10 pm. Since I wanted my kids to get as much sleep as possible, I asked the front desk to hold our bags at bell services until morning. Around 2 am my Mom woke me because she heard voices and knocking on our door. When it didn't stop, we got a little freightened (2 women 2 small kids being awoken at 2 am) and called the front desk who called security. They called us back 10 minutes later and told us it was our bags but they had already left. I explained to them that I had asked the front desk to alert bell services to keep our bags overnight. Now, bell services just called our room at 6:30 am (5:30 am our central time) and woke our kids up, to ask us what to do with our bags. Am I wrong to be irritated? I suppose I should have called bell services rather than front desk but they said they'd communicate and GEEZE Seriously?

So we arrived last night to the Orlando airport at 8:45 and rode ME to POR arriving around 10 pm. Since I wanted my kids to get as much sleep as possible, I asked the front desk to hold our bags at bell services until morning. Around 2 am my Mom woke me because she heard voices and knocking on our door. When it didn't stop, we got a little freightened (2 women 2 small kids being awoken at 2 am) and called the front desk who called security. They called us back 10 minutes later and told us it was our bags but they had already left. I explained to them that I had asked the front desk to alert bell services to keep our bags overnight. Now, bell services just called our room at 6:30 am (5:30 am our central time) and woke our kids up, to ask us what to do with our bags. Am I wrong to be irritated? I suppose I should have called bell services rather than front desk but they said they'd communicate and GEEZE Seriously?

That stinks!

Next time definitely use the Do Not Disturb sign if you didn't this time. Also, assuming the front desk properly communicates with the bag folks about your request is a BIG assumption. It's a right hand talking to the left hand arrangement and the chances of Disney botching that are HIGH, as you experienced. Not saying that's right (they SHOULD do exactly what you requested) but things just don't tend to work out at WDW resorts like that, for various reasons.

Hope you have an otherwise GREAT trip! :thumbsup2

If you called the front desk to ask them to tell bell services about your luggage, that's the problem. You didn't actually call the front desk. You called an off-site service center. You needed to have spoken to bell services directly in person when you arrived and checked in.

That said, it blows that they dropped the ball (though it is typical of them).

Some victim-blaming going on here for poor @susanh. To your question, yes, you should be irritated. Nothing like starting the trip off with too little sleep, after you made a reasonable effort to avoid being disturbed. A call to the front desk (wherever the "front desk" is) should be adequate. That they called you at 6:30am is just adding insult to injury.

What would have been funny is if at 4am security came to knock at your door to make sure everything was okay. I mean, not funny, but you know.

We were in a similar situation a couple trips ago - I went to bell services and asked them to hold the luggage just to be sure. Even then, they seemed very confused by the concept and I walked away without any confidence that we wouldn't be getting the 2am knock. I did unplug the phone when I got to the room (something I've started doing anytime I'm at any hotel...that and the clock). Fortunately, my request was granted and the bags were held.

Thank you! Actually it may seem silly but the thought never crossed my mind.
We had the same thing happen on arrival night once. UGH, not fun. Hopefully you'll stay awake on Disney energy today and sleep well tonight.

I'm always the first one up, so I always just walk down to Bell Services on my way to get breakfast. Sometimes they are out for delivery already. If not, you can ask them to send them as quickly as possible. Just don't forget to take down the "do not disturb" sign.

Yes you do have a reason to be annoyed. Someone didn't do what they were supposed to do.
I am honestly curious, why did you call front desk instead of bell services, when it was bell services you needed to do something?
I get when someone doesn't quite know who they need, they'll call the front desk (not even going in to someone not knowing that's not actually the front desk, that's not important here) but in this case you did know exactly who you needed, bell services. There is a bell services button on the phone. So I'm seriously wondering, why didn't you use it?

You're at a Disney resort... I would not have been scared that someone was knocking on your door.
You could have opened it with the deadbolt on.

Also its very possible that your luggage was already being loaded for delivery before the front desk could inform them.

Not saying it doesn't stink but just more than stuff happens.

We've been to WDW and have stayed onsite over 30 times. One of the most important lessons I've learned over the years is that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Sometimes CM's don't even know proper protocols in their own departments. So, asking one department to communicate a message to another department is, as you found out, a risky move. On any given trip, I hope I do not have to speak with anyone to get anything sorted out and, if I do, I go directly to the department that handles the issue. I try to take Disney out of the equation as much as I can. We don't check bags, we don't use DME and I no longer do grocery deliveries because I always have to spend time trying to track them down when, on one occasion, the bags were literally right in front of their faces in the Bell Services room (this is after two days of being told there were no bags . . . ). Anyway, yes you should be annoyed, but, unfortunately, I'm not surprised this happened.

Yes that is annoying. When we had a late arrival at the Poly they offered to hold our bags but we told them to bring it to our room. They then called the room at 1 am to make sure we wanted the bags. So a completely different experience.

With that said, it is not the OPs problem that when you call the front desk you don't actually get the front desk. The only reason I even know that information is because of the DIS and I only found that out after staying at Disney a few times. Most Disney visitors do not know that and probably never will know that. If you aren't calling the actual front desk Disney needs to have a better way of communicating things back at the resorts.

It is annoying, but I thought if your flight arrived after 8 you were supposed to get your own bags and bring them with you. Has that changed?

It is annoying, but I thought if your flight arrived after 8 you were supposed to get your own bags and bring them with you. Has that changed?

It's 10PM.

From the WDW website....

Domestic Arrivals
Take the train from your arrival gate to the main terminal. You will be on Level 3. Between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM, head directly to Disney’s Magical Express, located in the Ground Transportation Area on Side B, Level 1. Disney will claim your checked baggage for you and deliver it directly to your Resort hotel room via our luggage delivery service. Between 10:00 PM and 5:00 AM, you will need to claim your own baggage on Level 2.

Some victim-blaming going on here

Lol no there’s not.

The op is on an info site where we learn to be smarter than your average vacationer.

It didn’t take long for me to discover that the front desk button doesn’t take you to any front desk.

And it’s good info for her future and for everyone else reading here. It shouldn’t be left out due to fear of someone thinking we are shaming her.

And she doesn’t indicate a dnd sign was left out. If you don’t leave that out, you’re not protecting yourself from fails in communication. It’s not shame, it’s fact.

And again it’s good info for her in the future if she didn’t put it out, and excellent info for others who might not think of it.

Thank you! Actually it may seem silly but the thought never crossed my mind.

Which part? The dnd sign or the phone off the hook? (the latter of which I wouldn’t do)

It's 10PM.

From the WDW website....

Domestic Arrivals
Take the train from your arrival gate to the main terminal. You will be on Level 3. Between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM, head directly to Disney’s Magical Express, located in the Ground Transportation Area on Side B, Level 1. Disney will claim your checked baggage for you and deliver it directly to your Resort hotel room via our luggage delivery service. Between 10:00 PM and 5:00 AM, you will need to claim your own baggage on Level 2.

ME Bag service ends at 10:00 PM, not 8:00 PM

Gotcha. I guess I’ve always done it as after 8 on my own - not that I really check bags.

Well technically 2 am and 6:30 am are both "the morning". :-)

Perhaps a direct conversation with Bell Services would allow you to request a time for luggage delivery?

Well technically 2 am and 6:30 am are both "the morning". :-)

Perhaps a direct conversation with Bell Services would allow you to request a time for luggage delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!