Baggage asking for a friend

Sometimes, for flyers with airline perks, they can get one checked bag.
There is a possible charge for any checked luggage.
It can vary for each different airline. Many have just recently raised the charge for checked bags.
I am assuming that this is a U.S. flight, and not flying overseas.

If you have the airlines credit card, checked bags are often a perk... (I have a Delta card, just for the perks) And frequent flyers who have reached a higher membership status can also get perks.
Often, the first bag costs, for example $25.00 or $30.00, then additional bags can cost more.
Any bags that are over the minimum weight will also be charged extra. (so be careful about trying to avoid extra luggage by over-stuffing one large bag)

Look on that particular airlines web-site and the info should not be too hard to find.

Which airline are you looking at?

Different airlines have different weight and size restrictions. Some suggest you predict your luggage numbers, show up with extra luggage and it's double charged at check-in.

Which airline are you looking at?

Different airlines have different weight and size restrictions. Some suggest you predict your luggage numbers, show up with extra luggage and it's double charged at check-in.

She did not say we are flying in from.all over meeting at the Gilmore festival

Depends on the airline of course. Most charge for baggage that’s checked in and stored in the baggage hold. Some even charge for baggage that’s carried on.

There are size/weight limits that may be subject to overweight/oversized fees. Some airlines allow more than two pieces checked in, but the baggage fees go much higher. There might also be different charges depending on which flight, especially international. I know it’s hard to find out the fees on United without entering the airports. I looked up United for regular passengers for SFO-SNA, and it’s $30 and $40 for the 1st and 2nd, then $150 for any additional. Their oversized fee 63 linear inches is $200 per piece and their overweight (50 to 70 lbs) fee is $100. This may change for other routes.

And of course there are fee waivers for those with certain credit cards or frequent flier status, but if you have to ask that’s probably not applicable.

Some airlines even charge different prices depending on when in the process you pay the fee. Spirit is cheapest if prepaid before arriving at the airport, then it goes up at the baggage counter, and goes up to maybe $100 at the gate.

I'm flying United next month and I get one carry one but no checked. My issue is that the bag I just bought might slighly (within an inch) too large to be considered a carry on. Now I am in the predicament. of do I buy another bag, hope that it passes or use my daughter back back. Its only an over night trip. So I only need one change of closes, PJ's & toiletries.

I wish all airlines and luggage manufacturers would get together and set the correct size for carry ons. Some bags are considered carry on for one airline but not another. Drives me nuts. Best bet is to to use the smallest carry on you can or look at the airlines dimensions for carry ons before you buy one....but then another airline will have different dimensions!

MJ

Yup, check with the airline your are flying on, and if your final destination is in Europe, that could impact the weight.
We stressed about flying to England on Delta, but got our bags under 50 pounds only to find out from the Agent at the counter that because our final destination was in Europe, our bag weight limit was 30kg (66 pounds) not 50 pounds.

I'm flying United next month and I get one carry one but no checked. My issue is that the bag I just bought might slighly (within an inch) too large to be considered a carry on. Now I am in the predicament. of do I buy another bag, hope that it passes or use my daughter back back. Its only an over night trip. So I only need one change of closes, PJ's & toiletries.

I've never really had an issue where a bag that was slightly over was denied, but there are no guarantees. My wife has one marketed as "carry on" that's actually 24" long and even that's never been checked against the sizer.

The size is supposed to include handles/wheels. For United it's 22"x14"x9" of course. In my experience they'll usually only do an eyeball test and let it go rather than fight over it. And if it's already impacted for overhead bin space they'll proactively start "gate checking" bags for free.

Definitely not the case. It may not be free, but you can check luggage.

There are all sorts of variables - the first being which airline. The other is the issue of charging for carry on. There are also specific fare types that may include one/two checked in bags as well as others ("basic economy") that may not allow the passenger to bring on a carry on sized bag.

There are all sorts of variables - the first being which airline. The other is the issue of charging for carry on. There are also specific fare types that may include one/two checked in bags as well as others ("basic economy") that may not allow the passenger to bring on a carry on sized bag.

I have only ever only flown two airlines delta and southwest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter