Bahamas will cut off monetary incentives for major cruise lines

Canadians have been travelling to Cuba forever... While thingsare not perfect to this day, it's way better now. The rough dictatorship days are long gone.

Agree as an american who lives overseas I kinda forget the US has an issue with Cuba. Kinda funny ( not really) but the rest of the world and cruise lines galore visit Cuba. Half my German friends have been there on a package vacation. Havana is suppose to be awesome.. Plan to go there soon actually before it gets more run down by mass tourism.. That is already become an issue.

The headline sounds bad but the article makes sense, the money should be moved to modernize the port.

Agreed.

"Money that cruiselines don't need being re-budgeted to make Nassau nice!" should have been the headline. :)

Russia and China are nothing like Cuba. I don’t know why you would use those countries as a comparison.

Because they were or are Communist countries (respectively). I'm confused by your confusion with that.

How about Laos and Vietnam? Just looked it up, and they are still communist.

Lots of countries have dictators that doesn’t make them comparable.

But they do have similarities... And one of them is that cruise ships are stopping there, which is the reason they are named in that thread.

I do not agree with the politics of every country I visit --Heck, sometimes I don't agree with some decisions of my own country (October 17, *wink wink*) -- but that doesn't mean I won't visit them while some will avoid them. It's a personal choice and I respect that.

Agreed.

"Money that cruiselines don't need being re-budgeted to make Nassau nice!" should have been the headline. :)

Because they were or are Communist countries (respectively). I'm confused by your confusion with that.

How about Laos and Vietnam? Just looked it up, and they are still communist.
Russia is not a communist country anymore. I don’t think I’m the one confused. China is a communist country that allows capitalism. They have the second largest economy. I don’t see the three having a lot in common. Honestly I have no desire to go to vieitnam or Laos I never said I did. The list of countries I don’t want to go to is longer then the list of countries I want to see. Cuba is just another poor island with nice beaches. Been there done that.

If that $12 million gets their country cleaned up I say go for it. Sure a few ships might bail, but that might be a good thing to encourage them to get serious and clean things up. That amount of money isn't going to go far in the grand scheme of it all. I see May 2018 had 91 cruise ships in port for the month, I'm not sure if that's high or low but assuming its average the math sure wouldn't be enough to buy my loyalty if I was a cruise ship operator.

We are soooo off topic right now. :duck:
Yep.

As far as the original topic goes, it’s a smart business decision. Will it get cruisers to go off ship? I don’t know. But if they’ve determined that they’re not getting enough traffic off the boats now they’re not going to get more by doing nothing.

I'm sure their government has done a cost analysis of the potential losses if they stop paying the incentives vs their gains when reinvesting in their own infrastructure. If you look at the investment over a couple of years, hopefully they'll be able to make some changes that make people want to get off ships again.

There's nothing wrong with the Island. They just need to get their citizens to stop harassing tourists. In my opinion that's the biggest turn off to visiting any of the islands in the Bahamas or Caribbean. Not in the Caribbean, but I'll also include Italy. The harassment at the Italian ports is the worst I've experienced.

Russia is not a communist country anymore. I don’t think I’m the one confused. China is a communist country that allows capitalism. They have the second largest economy. I don’t see the three having a lot in common. Honestly I have no desire to go to vieitnam or Laos I never said I did. The list of countries I don’t want to go to is longer then the list of countries I want to see. Cuba is just another poor island with nice beaches. Been there done that.
Just want to comment though OT - Vietnam is awesome!! Go before it gets ruined like Thailand. Thailand is out Vietnam is in.

I thought DCL had to stop in Nassau as they are flagged Bahamas ? So this monetary issue is really a non-issue for them As they have to stop there anyways? Or have I always thought wrong?

I thought DCL had to stop in Nassau as they are flagged Bahamas ? So this monetary issue is really a non-issue for them As they have to stop there anyways? Or have I always thought wrong?

Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas, so if there is a requirement (I don't think so...but I don't know maritime rules), that should meet it.

Edit to add: After going down that wormhole and discovering that there are some landlocked countries that flag ships, I can only determine that there is no requirement for a ship to visit the place it is registered.

Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas, so if there is a requirement (I don't think so...but I don't know maritime rules), that should meet it.

Edit to add: After going down that wormhole and discovering that there are some landlocked countries that flag ships, I can only determine that there is no requirement for a ship to visit the place it is registered.

There is no requirement to call on the port it is registered. (All 4 Disney ships are registered in Nassau, and the Dream is the only one that makes consistent stops there)
The only requirement for a foreign flagged vessel (Leaving from the USA) is to visit a non US port. There are certain exceptions such as Porto Rico, cruises to nowhere, weather issues, etc.

If a vessel were to permanently disembark passengers at a different US port from where they embarked then they would need to visit a distant foreign port.

See the Passenger Vessel Service Act for more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter