Band Chaperone MLK weekend

DLtorgo

waiting for my next Disney fix
First time as a chaperone- eek!!! :scared:

I'm a chaperone for my DD's band trip- 8th graders Looking for any tips or thoughts on my plan-

I'm a seasoned vet, but I'm trying my best to let them do their thing.

We are staying across street and have two days in the parks, but of course the symposiums will take up time. Band schedule states the plan is to get there at park opening, but I am not going to count on that.

My family are commando ride people. I was thinking of having the girls get max-pass. Should I get it on my phone or on DD's phone? I was thinking I could hold the physical tickets as a safety and then the girls can book and ride on their own. If I have the max-pass linked to my phone they have to have me with them. My DD says she and friends want me to ride everything with them, but I have a feeling once we get there they will want to be more on their own.

Any thoughts on single rider? Off-putting for 14 year old girls to be paired with strangers? I would clear with their parent's first. I had a weird situation on Splash when I was around their age.

Not planning on any meals other than grab and go.

If they really want you to do everything with them, that would be really surprising! On my son's middle school choir trip, the chaperones were pretty much only for gathering kids and counting heads before the classes. The kids ditched them pretty fast, leaving the adults to enjoy each other's company. We are also vets and my son had to be the leader of the other kids who basically had no idea what they were doing. No one had maxpass and a good portion of the group were first time disney kids. It didn't sound like they hit tons of rides because they were basically always eating or on their way to or from a class. If you know the girls in your group and their parents, it is very much worth them putting the app on their phone tied to a credit card so the girls can mobile order. With single rider, again, I think you over estimate the amount of control you are going to have over these children, but I don't see why they can't use it. Hate to tell you this but they are almost old enough to drive!

MaxPass lives on the ticket, not on the phone that buys it. It doesn't matter who's phone they're scanned into, or if they're scanned into multiple phones. You can have them all, AND scan them into your DD's phone and account, as well. Then they can go off on their own or stay with you, whichever they prefer.

Kids are different, but DD and her friends never wanted to stay with a chaperone and wouldn’t want to single rider. we live fairly close so most of the kids had been before anyway, so it wasn’t all about riding every ride no matter what. Have you asked the girls about single rider? Max pass is awesome - are they all ok paying for max pass?

Thanks guys!

MaxPass lives on the ticket, not on the phone that buys it. It doesn't matter who's phone they're scanned into, or if they're scanned into multiple phones. You can have them all, AND scan them into your DD's phone and account, as well. Then they can go off on their own or stay with you, whichever they prefer.

I never realized that they could be on different phones at once. As a family group they are always all on my phone and we go together and just scan one phone. The separate phones is ideal so they can be on their own.

They are cool with MaxPass upgrade- we live in AZ and head over at least once, or twice a year. Her friends haven't. Her bestie is from overseas and lived in Poland, but she has been to DL Paris!

I've chaperoned band trips. They do ditch the parents. And they pretty much went with the flow and didn't pull fast passes (no MaxPass the first year) or use MaxPass. I was going to help arrange to get MaxPass for my son and his group on their second day but they were constantly joining up with other groups and very unorganized. It wouldn't have worked for them. They were still happy with the trip. We are from AZ and have been APs but my son was content to go with the crowd.

Last edited:
This thread has solidified my resolve to never be a chaperone. No maxpass, no use of fast pass, no plan, showing up "around opening"? No way could I handle it. Sorry kids, you're going to have to go with someone else's parents:).

This thread has solidified my resolve to never be a chaperone. No maxpass, no use of fast pass, no plan, showing up "around opening"? No way could I handle it. Sorry kids, you're going to have to go with someone else's parents:).

:scared::scared:

The struggle for me is real! LOL

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!