Banked points from a cancelled reservation, extended if you made a new reservation with them?

PrincessDuck

DIS Veteran
I have a September UY. I had a reservation in March and another one in April that were cancelled. Some of the points used in these reservations were banked from 2018. After the March/April reservations were cancelled, we made a reservation at the end of August with the banked 2018 points as they would expire on August 31, 2020.

Should these points be extended to November 30, 2020 with the new email that came out yesterday as they are a September UY?

I would really not like to travel in late August and would like to use them to add on to a November trip.

Any advice and experiences would be helpful.

Thanks so much.

Yes, they will be extended and will now expire November 30th,

Here is the bad news that is being reported, You will not have access to book with them from Sept 1st to November 30th until they actually expire and are no longer on your dashboard,

Once they are gone, you can call to book something with them. It was also reported that they can not be used in an existing reservation unless something is still available.

Those terms will not make many happy so who knows if it will stay or they will change it.

It would be worth a call to find out for sure and see what information you are given.

Sandisw, I just chatted with DVC and they said that because I had booked a new reservation with those points, that they are no longer eligible for the extension.

This is what was said "Once you booked your new reservation with them, we have to go by the dates of your new reservation."

So, you are saying that I would not be able to book with them until September? Since they would expire on August 31st.

I was hoping that this extension would be an easy thing, but it really doesn't seem to be at all.

Sandisw, I just chatted with DVC and they said that because I had booked a new reservation with those points, that they are no longer eligible for the extension.

This is what was said "Once you booked your new reservation with them, we have to go by the dates of your new reservation."

So, you are saying that I would not be able to book with them until September? Since they would expire on August 31st.

I was hoping that this extension would be an easy thing, but it really doesn't seem to be at all.

That's not great. Did they think people should just have been sitting on them just crossing fingers they would also get extensions?

That's not great. Did they think people should just have been sitting on them just crossing fingers they would also get extensions?
That was essentially what I was typing to the guy. I will call and see if anything else can be done. I was hoping to find that others in my kind of situation might have had a better outcome.

Thanks so much for your input. Please let me know if you see anything other outcomes for this type of situation.

Last edited:

Okay, that is a new aspect that has yet to be reported, The information was that the extended points won’t be eligible for bookings until they actually expire. So, if your points were eligible, based on that, you’d have to call Sept 1st to book,

Honestly, I would send an email and explain that had you know they would be extended, you would not have booked in August,

I don’t know if you would still be able to travel between Sept to November, and if these couldn’t be booked anyway until Sept, they may not be a lot left,

I had a trip I moved from June 21st to July 3rd, Did not use all the points for new reservation Emailed Yesterday to find out if the 15 points would be returned since my first night was during closure

We shall see.

I chatted with a CM online and basically heard the same thing. My points are October 2019 points, booked a June reservation, cancelled, then I booked an August vacation. It took 10 minutes for the CM to review my account, and came back saying my August reservation disqualified the points from extension. It is kinda hilarious if you think about this, basically you will be saved only if you have chosen to die :)

I chatted with a CM online and basically heard the same thing. My points are October 2019 points, booked a June reservation, cancelled, then I booked an August vacation. It took 10 minutes for the CM to review my account, and came back saying my August reservation disqualified the points from extension. It is kinda hilarious if you think about this, basically you will be saved only if you have chosen to die :)
Isn't it ridiculous? I really wasn't thrilled with going in August, but booked it when I had to cancel the other reservations.

Same experience on the phone last night after getting a busy signal for about 40 minutes and then waiting on hold for close to an hour. My 2018 (Sept use year) banked points were Originally in my early May reservation. Once the resorts were closed, they moved the 2018 points to an existing June reservation. What I find odd though is that there wasn’t full availability in June and I thought this was not allowed. Sometime last last month, I tried to add to my December reservation with my 2019 points and was told “if there was no availability” they couldn’t use them. Very conflicting information. So basically I was told the 2O18 points will expire on August 31 Regardless that they were originally in the reservation when the resort was closed. Next, I Inquired if there was Mandatory quarantine if you fly in from a state That is considered a hotspot (NY). I was told “no” but when I spoke with a supervisor she said it is still in effect right now and they are “hoping” that it won’t be by June 27. How the heck do you plan around that? Last, I was told my points wouldn’t go into a holding account. I understand how holding works and never Had any holding points in my 20 years of DVC but not even sure if it matters because I would have to use them in two months anyway. I have very little faith in anything discussed last night.

Same experience on the phone last night after getting a busy signal for about 40 minutes and then waiting on hold for close to an hour. My 2018 (Sept use year) banked points were Originally in my early May reservation. Once the resorts were closed, they moved the 2018 points to an existing June reservation. What I find odd though is that there wasn’t full availability in June and I thought this was not allowed. Sometime last last month, I tried to add to my December reservation with my 2019 points and was told “if there was no availability” they couldn’t use them. Very conflicting information. So basically I was told the 2O18 points will expire on August 31 Regardless that they were originally in the reservation when the resort was closed. Next, I Inquired if there was Mandatory quarantine if you fly in from a state That is considered a hotspot (NY). I was told “no” but when I spoke with a supervisor she said it is still in effect right now and they are “hoping” that it won’t be by June 27. How the heck do you plan around that? Last, I was told my points wouldn’t go into a holding account. I understand how holding works and never Had any holding points in my 20 years of DVC but not even sure if it matters because I would have to use them in two months anyway. I have very little faith in anything discussed last night.

Once points are freed up, they can be reallocated into an existing reservation to free up current UY points, So, that is why they were able to swap out your 2018 for your 2019.

If you have a Dec 2020 reservation, and have 2019 points in your account that came from the reservation in June, the reason you were probably not able to use them for December is because you were beyond the banking deadline at that point.

Not sure why the CM said there had to be rooms still. It really is a big turn of events with the restrictions on all of these points. I believe people should email MS with complaints since it doesn’t seem quite fair that if one used them to book a back up because they were told no extension, that they are being exempted from the extension,

So sorry

My 2019 points were banked before my deadline. I figured I was gonna lose the 2018 points (32 pts) so it was a bonus when I was told they could be applied to the June reservation. My reservation was at the beach club and there was no availability at that time. It’s a little embarrassing and don’t want to complain with all that’s going on in the world. Not sure the extension would actually work for me anyway. Can you imagine getting there and have to quarantine —bizarre!!!
Thank you.

My 2019 points were banked before my deadline. I figured I was gonna lose the 2018 points (32 pts) so it was a bonus when I was told they could be applied to the June reservation. My reservation was at the beach club and there was no availability at that time. It’s a little embarrassing and don’t want to complain with all that’s going on in the world. Not sure the extension would actually work for me anyway. Can you imagine getting there and have to quarantine —bizarre!!!
Thank you.

To clarify - you said you "tried to add" to your Dec reservation with your 2019 points. You meant to reallocate the banked 2019 points and replace 2020 points you originally used to book? If so then you can do that online and skip the misinformed CM's who pop up now and then.

The 2018 points were applied to the June trip and that is before the resorts reopen?

To clarify - you said you "tried to add" to your Dec reservation with your 2019 points. You meant to reallocate the banked 2019 points and replace 2020 points you originally used to book? If so then you can do that online and skip the misinformed CM's who pop up now and then.

The 2018 points were applied to the June trip and that is before the resorts reopen?
Yes, I tried to reallocate the points to December. I actually did do it myself online and had a wait list one night which actually came through already. And the 2018 points were applied to my June reservation right around April 29 or 30th. The DVC CM member suggested it. Most of the CM’s that I had to deal with back in April were AWESOME. It is amazing how one can really throw you for a loop.

I'm confused! we had a trip booked in April with banked points, June UY here and after the closure the points went back to 2019. they needed to be used by May 31st. I made a new Sept reservation and now want to reallocate the 45 points into the new Sept ressie, can this be done??? I was told by 3 CM on the phone that I had to wait till June 5th to do this.

I'm confused! we had a trip booked in April with banked points, June UY here and after the closure the points went back to 2019. they needed to be used by May 31st. I made a new Sept reservation and now want to reallocate the 45 points into the new Sept ressie, can this be done??? I was told by 3 CM on the phone that I had to wait till June 5th to do this.
Are the 45 points banked from 2018? Or are they 2019 UY points that you didn't bank in time?

From my understanding, this is what will happen: 2019 points will be banked in 2020 UY and should be available online in your dashboard to use. Banked 2018 points that are being given the extension deadline of November 30th will not show up in your dashboard and you will have to call to use these points. I was informed (and I really hope this is not true) by several CMs that these points cannot be re-allocate to a current reservation. That either a new reservation will need to be made OR they can cancel your current reservation and attempt to rebook the reservation (before someone else grabs it) with the banked 2018 points.

In my opinion, this means that those 2018 banked points really can't be used.. we all know what the availability looks like and unless you have a lot of 2018 banked points and can splurge for a night or two at a cabin or bungalow, your options will be limited. I'm just going to count them as lost unless CMs start stating otherwise. We have some rooms booked in October with 2020 points and I'd love a reallocation.

If they are banked 2018 points, then you will have to call and from the reports, can not be used for an existing reservation.

If they were 2019, we assume that will work as those should show up online,

But, all the extended points, from reports, are not going to show up for booking until after they expire. But, if you can get through, check because as we know there are sometimes different answers and all this new info about not being allowed in old reservations it could be an evolving policy.

Are the 45 points banked from 2018? Or are they 2019 UY points that you didn't bank in time?

From my understanding, this is what will happen: 2019 points will be banked in 2020 UY and should be available online in your dashboard to use. Banked 2018 points that are being given the extension deadline of November 30th will not show up in your dashboard and you will have to call to use these points. I was informed (and I really hope this is not true) by several CMs that these points cannot be re-allocate to a current reservation. That either a new reservation will need to be made OR they can cancel your current reservation and attempt to rebook the reservation (before someone else grabs it) with the banked 2018 points.

In my opinion, this means that those 2018 banked points really can't be used.. we all know what the availability looks like and unless you have a lot of 2018 banked points and can splurge for a night or two at a cabin or bungalow, your options will be limited. I'm just going to count them as lost unless CMs start stating otherwise. We have some rooms booked in October with 2020 points and I'd love a reallocation.
they had been banked and we were told we could use them until nov 30th. I had went ahead while availability was there and grabbed the sept dates! I was told on the phone 3x that yes they can be pushed into the new reservation but not till June 5th to call back then. If this is the case and they cant be used they they flat out gave bad information with the hopes that all who lost during the closure would be helped!

they had been banked and we were told we could use them until nov 30th. I had went ahead while availability was there and grabbed the sept dates! I was told on the phone 3x that yes they can be pushed into the new reservation but not till June 5th to call back then. If this is the case and they cant be used they they flat out gave bad information with the hopes that all who lost during the closure would be helped!

Unfortunately, I think we're not going to know until it happens. I called several times and spoke to different people. If you end up calling in again, see if you can get any sort of answer :worship: I think maybe they don't even know.. who knows. It's all a bit crazy.

I do wonder if the CMs who told you that back before the most recent update were under the impression they would allow it. Now that they added 3 more UYs to the extension, the policy could have changed to account for all the points,

I am sorry it may not work out the way you hoped, Although, they will be getting lots of complaints so it’s always possible they will adjust.

I do wonder if the CMs who told you that back before the most recent update were under the impression they would allow it. Now that they added 3 more UYs to the extension, the policy could have changed to account for all the points,

I am sorry it may not work out the way you hoped, Although, they will be getting lots of complaints so it’s always possible they will adjust.
if so it was false hope and false information for the "extension" that they announced. Why announce something and then still not be able to access the points? It really bad, and doesnt look good for DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!