Banned for life...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would have gone with one of the following "Could have done's in half the time...":
  • Gotten a reservation at BOG
  • Converted Maelstrom to Arendelle
  • Constructed half of Avatarland
  • Resurrected Future World to its prior glory
  • Built a mega suburban mall at DTD
  • Expanded the MK hub
  • Opened the kiddie coaster known as 7DMT
  • Drawn concept art and announced SW Land

Yeah... Meth Lab would have been pretty far down on my list ;)
Love this - you're clever, lol

The original link no longer works, but here's a Huff Post about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ing-meth-lab-joke_us_55fc4ea8e4b08820d9187953

Thank you!

Now that I've finally read the article, here are my thoughts. What the guy said was really rude & stupid, & I think he should have gotten kicked off property for a specified amount of time, but banned for life seems a bit excessive for what he did. I've witnessed guests say much ruder things to CM's-swear, be drunk & belligerent, threaten fights with other guests & I know they did not get the same punishment because I've seen them at the parks the very next day. & the guy didn't say he built a meth lab, he said he could have. NOT trying to stick up for the guy-he seems like an entitled jerk, especially with his ideas that Disney should apologize, comp his room, & get his kids a gift (???). Hopefully this guy has smartened up, sent a truly apologetic letter to Disney & got his ban lifted.......ugh I cannot imagine having to watch the rest of my family plan a trip, knowing that I could not go :(

I wonder if there are any updates to this story.

Last edited:
If you have witnessed first hand the devastation and destruction caused by methamphetamine then you know it is a very real threat and there is not anything funny about it.

He could have said I can ride Space Mountain 3 times without fast passes AND take kids to see Anna and Elsa in the amount of time......

Thank you!

Now that I've finally read the article, here are my thoughts. What the guy said was really rude & stupid, & I think he should have gotten kicked off property for a specified amount of time, but banned for life seems a bit excessive for what he did. I've witnessed guests say much ruder things to CM's-swear, be drunk & belligerent, threaten fights with other guests & I know they did not get the same punishment because I've seen them at the parks the very next day. & the guy didn't say he built a meth lab, he said he could have. NOT trying to stick up for the guy-he seems like an entitled jerk, especially with his ideas that Disney should apologize, comp his room, & get his kids a gift (???). Hopefully this guy has smartened up, sent a truly apologetic letter to Disney & got his ban lifted.......ugh I cannot imagine having to watch the rest of my family plan a trip, knowing that I could not go :(

I wonder if there are any updates to this story.

There is WAY more to this story. This man is a Disney regular with regular confrontations with security. He was already on their radar as a problem and he finally crossed the final line. Personally I'm glad he was banned. A person who is a regular "local" Disney guest who continues to have issues with his behavior and security, then says something like this .... has willingly forfeited his welcome.

And there are others that receive bans, it just doesn't make the news because they don't go running to it.

I know this reply is not going to be popular, but I feel the CM that made a big deal about the comment should be immediately fired. I've worked in CS for over 16 years, and people say the weirdest things, especially when they hear something that they don't like. My job is to be able to decipher a true threat from a ridiculous one. So the guy pissed off the CM...oh boo hoo. Shame on Disney and this looser CM, for dragging police away from truly important things to research this nonsense.

I know this reply is not going to be popular, but I feel the CM that made a big deal about the comment should be immediately fired. I've worked in CS for over 16 years, and people say the weirdest things, especially when they hear something that they don't like. My job is to be able to decipher a true threat from a ridiculous one. So the guy pissed off the CM...oh boo hoo. Shame on Disney and this looser CM, for dragging police away from truly important things to research this nonsense.

All the CM did was report what was said. The police themselves made the decision to investigate.
Don't think that makes him a "looser."

There is WAY more to this story. This man is a Disney regular with regular confrontations with security. He was already on their radar as a problem and he finally crossed the final line. Personally I'm glad he was banned. A person who is a regular "local" Disney guest who continues to have issues with his behavior and security, then says something like this .... has willingly forfeited his welcome.

And there are others that receive bans, it just doesn't make the news because they don't go running to it.
I have not been following this thread for a while but popped back in today. Where did you get your information that Mr. Swindler has been a recurring problem guest?

It's not a CMs job to interpret a guest's intent or true meaning. He meerly reported it. And it was the police's decision to investigate further. So shame on you for blaming the CM who was following protocol. And Disney was completely within their rights to ban a guy who was a perennial problem guest. Things might have been different if this was an isolated incident and he hadn't continued to be a PITA.

I have not been following this thread for a while but popped back in today. Where did you get your information that Mr. Swindler has been a recurring problem guest?
It's been long enough that you'll need to do a search to find the original threads. I can't remember if they were on the resorts or theme parks boards. Maybe both. IIRC, there were a few different threads. There was also discussion on a couple different sites.

I'm not going to go back digging because this is old news but by his OWN ADMISSION in videos and reports he has a long history with Disney security. It was discussed in detail in other places than DIS, there were videos (which if he's smart he has now removed) of his rants ... The man obviously has a problem with his behavior and I am glad he was banned. Disney felt he had finally crossed the line, and maybe it took them too long .... as I've heard of others getting banned on strike 1.

Here are a few posts from earlier ....

This guy is not the innocent, poor, misunderstood schmuck that he's trying to portray in the video. He had a history of being confrontational with security on previous occasions blatantly ignoring and then disobeying directives.

While his actions at Pop may not have been against the law ( and hence no charges by the police, once they had investigated), they may have been the nail in the coffin as far as Disney was concerned. Perhaps this should be a lesson to those self entitled guests who think they can do or say whatever they want with impunity. Since WDW is private property, they have the right to ban anyone they want to.. Act like an obnoxious idiot and you risk being turfed out on your rear. Behave yourself and act like a human being and you'll have no problems.

Have you watched the videos? There was a very lively discussion about this on another site I visit. His prior encounters with security and other cast members ( besides the last one at the resort) are not a secret. Perhaps they too can be blamed on his self medication? Personally, I think that his being "medicated" at the resort may be one reason for his behavior, but it isn't a valid excuse.

This guy seems to be ramping up for a lawsuit. Disney isn't going to say a single word about this to the public, nor should they. But you're right- they will have the phone conversations recorded and camera evidence of him at the resort in the public areas.

He was banned for repeatedly being belligerent to cast members, security, and finally the police. His YouTube videos document that he's had multiple problems with Disney security in the past and that he flipped out on the police and security this time. It's not a one off event that resulted in him getting kicked. It's years of abuse of staff members.

He was banned for repeatedly being belligerent to cast members, security, and finally the police. His YouTube videos document that he's had multiple problems with Disney security in the past and that he flipped out on the police and security this time. It's not a one off event that resulted in him getting kicked. It's years of abuse of staff members.

It's incredibly disingenuous at this point to behave like this is a one off event. Even in the person's own words he's had multiple run-ins with Disney security over the years that have become incredibly heated. He admits to being abusive towards cast members. He admits to being abusive towards the police when they finally came to give him the boot. It isn't someone making a one off comment. It's years of employees being verbally abused and harassed and Disney deciding he's not worth it anymore. And all of that come from his own words.

What he said doesn't even matter really. It's the fact that he's been repeatedly abusive that got him turfed.

How'd you do that so fast? I knew I'd replied on this topic before, but I didn't have the inclination to hunt thru everything.

Do you both honestly believe it is appropriate for him to be banned for life for saying something stupid?

Believe me, words should carry weight - but the punishment should also fit the crime.

And no, making a joke about a meth lab is not nearly the same as joking about a bomb or hijacking a plane. Both of those last two are direct threats to large groups of people. Building a meth lab is extremely improbable and utterly ridiculous (come on, what meth cooker in their right mind would pay Disney resort prices to find a place to cook!). Likely the guy had just binged on some Breaking Bad and forgot the rest of the world doesn't use meth labs as a yard stick for time consumption.

His wife and child didn't say something stupid. Why would Disney ban them as well? Simply because they are related? Because they were there together? If you happened to be with someone who did something to get themselves banned for life, do you think it would be proper for you to get banned as well?

I also disagree there is truth in every joke and frankly, I've never heard anyone say that before. What he said wasn't even a joke, it was a stupid exaggeration. He said he could build a meth lab in the time it took this CM to assist him. He could have said that he could have cooked an 8 course dinner, assembled a grandfather clock from spare parts, or any other ludicrous activity that would presumably take a long time.

I suspect he was being a dick to the CM, and the DM realized they could nail him to the wall for making this dumb comment. I believe the raid on the room was warranted, if for no other reason to discourage others from making dumb comments about meth labs in the park. And having the rest of their vacation cut short was perfectly valid as well, as he likely needed time to cool his heels away from whatever it was that led him to get so frustrated in the first place.

But a lifetime ban for saying something stupid that did not endanger or threaten anyone else? My own humble opinion is that this was a complete over reaction. And I find it sad that others would suggest it was "good" that this happened to him.

ITA!

I'm not going to go back digging because this is old news but by his OWN ADMISSION in videos and reports he has a long history with Disney security. It was discussed in detail in other places than DIS, there were videos (which if he's smart he has now removed) of his rants ... The man obviously has a problem with his behavior and I am glad he was banned. Disney felt he had finally crossed the line, and maybe it took them too long .... as I've heard of others getting banned on strike 1.

Here are a few posts from earlier ....
Thank you for finding that for me. I guess the meth comment was the last straw for Disney.

Thank you for finding that for me. I guess the meth comment was the last straw for Disney.

Yeah. Now with all the MDE and what someone told me was called a "Magic File" they know plenty about their guests, particularly if you stay on site. It sounds like his folder was full.

And these days when security is of increased importance, it's best to check your behavior at home.

I doubt that the CM who handled his call called the police. More likely, he notified his supervisor and the supervisor put the room search and trespass warrant into action. The man who was banned (Mr. Swindler) claims that he said he could have built a meth lab, and Swindler claims that Disney says that he said he actually had one. The questions are what Swindler actually said and what the CM really thought he had said.

There has to be more to the story than what we are being told. In one of his YouTube videos he makes an open plea for lawyers to help him. Surely there is one that would be willing to help him if he even had a remote case. He does have a history with confrontation with security at HS. Based on his version of events at HS, both sides have a legitimate case. Still, considering his nickname is Grumpy, one wonders what other incidents have arisen over the years.

It appears that Swindler is the kind of person who just makes bad decisions. His comment about the meth lab was a bad decision. His comment that he should have said "atomic bomb" instead just shows his inability to make sound judgements. I don't think he is an actual threat, but at the very least Disney probably considers him a nuisance.

If you joke about a bomb while in the TSA line you're gonna be held, questioned, possibly fined etc. but I have never heard of such an act causing an individual to be put on the do not fly list for life

If you joke about a bomb while in the TSA line you're gonna be held, questioned, possibly fined etc. but I have never heard of such an act causing an individual to be put on the do not fly list for life

Not being able to go to Disney is not the same as not being able to fly on any and all airlines. Also, if you're an idiot over a prolonged period of time every time you interact with the TSA and they ban you for life, you had it coming.

Really? Your job is to decide if someone is making a serious threat or not? What kind of customer service job do you have? I would hope in this day and age as we see more and more people coming unglued that any threat is taken seriously. I wouldn't want to be the one on the news going "Well, he said he was going to drive his car into the store, but I didn't think he was serious. My bad". Or "I though he was joking about having an explosive on him. Oops".

The man was a known trouble maker. At some point he should have learned to watch what he said to people and to not be such an epic jerk. Maybe his is the type that needs a hard lesson, and I'm glad Disney finally gave it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter