Bariatric ECV Rental that will go in trunk of Mini Van?

mrzrich

DIS Veteran
My husband who was already over weight broke his leg over the summer. Recovery has been slow. He has gained weight and is now over 400 lbs. We already had plans to take the grandkids to Disney in February 2018.

I am looking for an ECV rental. The problem is that most of the ECV's designed to handle his weight are for Bus transport only. We are staying in a condo and taking our van to the parks. Does anyone have experience with this. Any suggestions?

You could rent an accessible van with a lift or ramp, but they are very expensive.

Not sure if you can handle it, but if you can wheelchair him to the park, then you could rent a Disney scooter that's rated for 500 pounds. The scooter rental will hold your wheelchair.

Hopefully, you have a handicap placard. That will get you a better parking space.

Most scooters for 400 pounds and above don't break down; so, as suggested you would need a lift to store the scooter.

Could you use a wheelchair to/from the car and around the condo, then rent an ECV in the parks?

Enjoy your vacation!

Although Walker is not a preferred vendor, they do offer a heavy duty scooter which will accommodate up to 500 lbs. If you can assist, it breaks down in to 3 parts plus the batteries. You can check their web site - they have a video which shows how the scooter breaks down. The video is all of 40 seconds - which...honest to goodness... is all it takes us to break the scooter down. We use a mini van because the deck to load the pieces is a bit lower and easier for us.
When they drop it off, they will show you how it all works.

My husband who was already over weight broke his leg over the summer. Recovery has been slow. He has gained weight and is now over 400 lbs. We already had plans to take the grandkids to Disney in February 2018.

I am looking for an ECV rental. The problem is that most of the ECV's designed to handle his weight are for Bus transport only. We are staying in a condo and taking our van to the parks. Does anyone have experience with this. Any suggestions?
there is no trunk as such with a mini van and it will depend on how much room behind third seat if you can even fit the broken down pieces. they are very costly but you may have to look for a handicapped van with a ramp. might look at renting off site a wheelchair and rent ECV at the park. granted you would be renting 2 things but it might be cheaper than the handicapped van. this would have you pushing him to park rental area and having them keep chair until you are ready to leave and repeat back to car

The ones they rent out at the parks are huge, but they are first come, first serve so no way to guarantee he would have one.

Is it too late to cancel the condo and stay on property? That is really the best option, if it's feasible for you.

Although Walker is not a preferred vendor, they do offer a heavy duty scooter which will accommodate up to 500 lbs. If you can assist, it breaks down in to 3 parts plus the batteries. You can check their web site - they have a video which shows how the scooter breaks down. The video is all of 40 seconds - which...honest to goodness... is all it takes us to break the scooter down. We use a mini van because the deck to load the pieces is a bit lower and easier for us.

I have an idea the pieces will be awful heavy and awkward.

And to add to what @Bete said above, not only will those pieces be heavy and awkward, but you will have to be able to "dead lift" them from the ground to at least bumper height to get them into any rental vehicle.

@FortForever may have given you your best option; stay onsite (yes, it's more expensive, but you won't need a rental car, so there are potential savings there) and you won't be trying to lift 50 pounds (or more) per piece into and out of the rental car at least twice a day. (More if you park hop, or decide to go to Disney Springs, or have an ADR at a Resort)

We aren't renting a car. We live a few hours away. We are driving.
We aren't renting a car. We live a few hours away. We are driving.
Will you need the 3rd row of seats for the grandchildren? I have a smaller ECV that breaks down, but I do not think it would fit in my Honda Odyssey with the 3rd seat up.

If you do not need the 3rd seat are any of the grandchildren old enough to be able to assist with lifting?

there is no trunk as such with a mini van and it will depend on how much room behind third seat if you can even fit the broken down pieces. they are very costly but you may have to look for a handicapped van with a ramp. might look at renting off site a wheelchair and rent ECV at the park. granted you would be renting 2 things but it might be cheaper than the handicapped van. this would have you pushing him to park rental area and having them keep chair until you are ready to leave and repeat back to car

Huh? My Mini van has a huge trunk.

Thank you for this.

I am going to call Walker for Specifics.

Will you need the 3rd row of seats for the grandchildren? I have a smaller ECV that breaks down, but I do not think it would fit in my Honda Odyssey with the 3rd seat up.

If you do not need the 3rd seat are any of the grandchildren old enough to be able to assist with lifting?

We are traveling with 5 adults and 5 children. Plenty of helpers and more than one vehicle.

As for the weight, I think the heaviest is about 35 pounds - the individual batteries. We do it with 2 adults (DH has a terrible back and I have bad knees). the most awkward piece is the tiller - the easiest way is to have one adult on each side and lift straight in to the mini van. That's why the van is better for us - you don't have to lift as high as you would in a SUV or in to the trunk of a sedan. If you have a couple of helpers - you will be totally fine. Enjoy your trip!

Huh? My Mini van has a huge trunk.
the ones we have had have only a small space behind the third seat. and that is true of the Dodge that daughter has. when we travel as a group we usually end up with some of their stuff in back of our pickup

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter