Bark Collar for very small dog, not a budget buster.

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
I am trying to find bark collars for my yorkies(3.8lbs, 6.8lbs on 5/15- more than likely a little bit heavier now).
Anyone with small breed recommend a bark collar that's not over crazy price????
I've look on Amazon, but their reivew are not always accurate. Most seem not worth buying.

Update: to those who believe I would put a "sock" collar on my babies is crazy.
You assume too much.
I am angry and hurt by those who have made such nasty comments, your out of line.
I'm asking for help, not a smack down. My mistake was asking here on the disboard for help.
I should have said(and this my fault, for not stating clearer). I am looking for a collar that makes a tone, then vibration. This is ONLY for training, not punishment.

Last edited:

Have you tried other deterrents? My dog is a barker and we just recently found out he hates being sprayed with water. Don't know how long it will work but for now things are quieter.

Hi, I have a chihuahua so I know the barking of a toy breed is enough to drive you up the wall. I have never tried a bark collar on her (honestly I think at this point her barking is like white noise to me) but I know ecollars are used sometimes by some of the rescues I foster for...I believe they vibrate? Maybe check them out!

I wouldn't recommend any. We tried one once ( not my idea) and it was horrible. The poor dog barked, got zapped then yelped in pain, then got zapped again. Endless and cruel, Imo, not worth ANY money.
Bears repeating. Please listen to this poster!

I have two poodles. One has a multitude of health issues from bring blind in one eye, an underdeveloped esophagus and Cushing's Disease. He barks almost constantly from the minute I get home to the minute we go to bed. Adult/Human Benedril doesn't work; doggie melatonin doesn't work; prescription "knock out" drugs from the vet don't work. A mile an a half way doesn't work. Cuddles don't work...

At the height of his barking last night, I put him back in his crate for about 2 minutes. I didn't leave the room in case there was a problem (I stood behind a door). He whined to get out...and the minute he was out, he went back to the couch and passed out. No more barking for the night.

Have you tried that?

You'll get a lot of push back, as you're already seeing OP. However, you won't get it from me. I'm looking for a good one for one of my dogs, but he's 70lbs. If you find a good one, let me know. I don't agree with the previous posts and see no issue with using them. Plenty of professional trainers do.

We installed an electric fence in our last house, when we first got our oldest dog. It worked great. He got a zap once or twice, then immediately learned that the pre-zap buzzer meant he needed to stop. He did. He quickly figured out where the boundaries were and never came near them from that point on. No ill effects.

You'll get a lot of push back, as you're already seeing OP. However, you won't get it from me. I'm looking for a good one for one of my dogs, but he's 70lbs. If you find a good one, let me know. I don't agree with the previous posts and see no issue with using them. Plenty of professional trainers do.

We installed an electric fence in our last house, when we first got our oldest dog. It worked great. He got a zap once or twice, then immediately learned that the pre-zap buzzer meant he needed to stop. He did. He quickly figured out where the boundaries were and never came near them from that point on. No ill effects.
You mentioned on another thread last week your dogs are crated 8-10 hours overnight and also when you are at work - is that another 8-10 hours? So 16-20 hours a day? When do you spend time with them? When do you exercise and train them? You have three, right? And three kids that play sports? So one dog is misbehaving now and you're going to put a shock collar on him? What for?

I got my dogs ( beagle and chihuahua) Barklo collards last year. The collars are vibration and sound only, no shocking. It helped some, but then they are very noisy breeds so I can really only expect so much.

I guess you people who advocate these ELECTRIC SHOCK collars have it all figured out - you don't really have to spend time working with your dog, training your dog humanely, or exercising them to wear them out. No, why waste your time when you can just brutally force them to submit?

Dogs bark. If you don't like barking, get a cat.

Longer answer: Dogs are forever toddlers. A well-trained dog can still take off after a squirrel. Some dogs will always be afraid of thunder. My dog is afraid of rain. You can explain it to them all you want and they will never understand. Sometimes (human) toddlers are equally exasperating. They will do something the way you want 100x and the next time they have a tantrum. Do you put a shock collar on them?

Some dogs bark more than others. Some barks are louder than others. Dogs bark for different reasons. Maybe your dog and you are just not a good fit. Or maybe you should try some of the suggestions other than a shock collar that people have suggested here.

A shock collar is cruel. I can't imagine shocking a dog every time they bark, which is the way they talk. It's how they communicate. To shock your dog every time he wants to say something is terrible.

Last edited:
Here is the answer to many dog problems:

https://thebark.com/content/how-much-exercise-does-your-dog-need
It doesn't mean you have go take up jogging, necessarily. It means playing hard daily in the back yard or a local field. Chasing something and bringing it back. Swimming. Walking around the neighborhood and sniffing. Dogs have to do something to let off their energy; if not, bad habits can form because they are desperate to do something. Many dogs, even those who have a mix of breeds in them, were bred to work. They have boundless energy that needs to be expended. Imagine being couped up most of the day how frustrating that would be (not referring to anyone in particular - it could be almost any dog who is home doing nothing most of the day). They want to get out and ROMP! Once they do, they're often very content. Combined with being part of the family and having consistent rules to follow, most dogs don't need more than that. But frustrations can run high when they're left idle. This, really, is a principle of how to have a healthy, stable dog. To think that putting a SHOCK collar on a dog to curb unwanted behavior without having these other outlets consistently is just crazy thinking. It doesn't do much but make the dog more fearful and anxious. I was bitten by one of these dogs, so got to experience their brokenness firsthand. Good Owners, Great Dogs is an excellent resource for anyone looking to work with their dog to improve behavior (and maybe understand what went wrong).

I wish something magically worked...one of mine is a barker....we tried the vibrate collar...it worked for a few days until she got used to it and then she just ignored it.

OP, I don't think the collars are quite the "inhumane treatment" that some here do but haven't seen one actually work for the barking. Maybe because the dog gets used to it? I don't know. I do know that you have to be mindful of when the thing is on the dog and not just leave it on all the time.

I have a small mixed breed dog whose bark can drive me nuts. Since he is crated during the day, I don't want to crate him at night and he sleeps in my room. No amount of exercise keeps him from barking at night because if he hears something outside (could be leaves falling lol), he thinks he is doing what he is supposed to do. He goes out when I get home at 4:30 and stays out most of the evening. At least half that time I am out there playing with him, our Pommie and the big dog. The rest he is running and playing with the big dog. So other than quitting work, not sure how he could exercise more. The only thing that has worked for him is to make sure the room is as quiet as can be. I have a fan on and have turned on the exhaust fan in the bathroom to be another background noise. Those seem to keep him from hearing those little noises outside and usually work. He probably barks during the day but I am not there to hear it.

Pet Safe is a good brand. We have the Pet Safe electronic wireless fence and it works great. But I am not seeing one for dogs less than 8lbs.

Yikes on "you people" and going through others' post history to build a case against why their opinion is bad.
I must have missed that, can you point it out?

The very title of this thread makes me feel ill - [Electric shock] collar on a VERY SMALL DOG. Where is the vomit mojie?

INHUMANE AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter