Barnstormer Seating Arrangement

rexmism

Registered
We have what seems to be a difficult group arrangement for riding Barnstormer - 2 adults, an 8 year old, a 6 year old, and two 3 year olds. Is it impossible for us to all ride at once, since apparently anyone under 7 has to ride with someone over 14? Is there anything they would do to accommodate us? By my calculations, it could take 3 rides to get in everyone, since an adult has to stay with the non-riders, and the 3 younger kids all have to ride with someone and there is only one adult left. Any advice? Skip it?

Don’t skip it! Barnstormer is a great ride. So, when you arrive at the queue, let them know about your situation. Ask if they’ll allow you to do rider swap twice. Have adult 1 stay behind with all the kids except 8 year old and 6 yo. Then decide if the 3 yo’s will like it. It may be too daring for them, and it’s a bit jarring, imo. If you decide not to send the 3 yo’s, adult 2 can ride with the older kids again. Very close by there is a splash pad and character meet and greets, so there’s plenty to do while adult 1 has the younger kids.

When I was queueing with an 8, 5 and 4 year old, they came to me and let me know I would need another adult, so I understand “together” to mean in the same seat.

That's annoying. I know I've read of different experiences here, so it may just depend on the CM that is working at the time.

When I was queueing with an 8, 5 and 4 year old, they came to me and let me know I would need another adult, so I understand “together” to mean in the same seat.
I had the exact opposite experience several years ago. It was me (adult) and a 6 year old and a 4 year old (I think). I sat next to the 4 year old and they let the 6 year old be in a row by himself.

My husband had to ride three times in September to get all my kids on (3,3,5,7 at the time). My 7 year old was excited because they let him ride all three times.

Well another "your results may vary" answer. What a surprise!
this reminds me of trying to take a fox and a chicken across a pond in a boat
That's so funny, I thought the EXACT same thing! In this puzzle, though, the chicken and the fox are liable to wander off...
My husband had to ride three times in September to get all my kids on (3,3,5,7 at the time). My 7 year old was excited because they let him ride all three times.
That's really helpful, Sleepy. Can you offer any other details on this? Did you (or someone else) have to wait with the non-riding kids while your husband rode? Did your husband have to re-enter the ride through the fastpass line, or was he allowed to just get back on the next train each time?

Must depend on the CM. We have been there when they let a parent ride with a toddler with his 8 and 5 year old in the row in front of him. I would all get in line together. If they don't let you all on when you get to the front of the line, I would ask if the 8 and 6 year old can wait there while the parents ride with the 3 year olds, and if one parent can then ride again with the 6 year old while the other leaves with the toddlers-- that will get you out in 2 rides.

Definitely tough with age requirements. Good news is that Barnstormer is one of the shortest rollercoasters ever so it's not a long wait between rides!

My friend has two small kids and I’m almost certain when she goes alone she rides with both of them in one car, in that case do adult 3 year old and older kid in each cart

We've had them insist on having a 14+yo in the same row as a 6yo more than once on Barnstormer. But, as you can read, other peoples experiences here are different. I would have a plan in place just in case, because it does seem CM dependent.

A less scrupulous parent would tell you to have the 6yo claim to be 7 if it becomes a problem. I don't know what kind of horrible, lousy parent would ever do such as thing as convince their child to lie to ride coasters...but...say...maybe...these parents were tired after 3 back-to-back rides on Rock and Roller Coaster and their 6yo wasn't...and perhaps again when their 6yo wanted to get rides 5 through 8 in on Everest. That said, these rules are their for you and your child's safety and it is against DISboards policy to suggest breaking them.

Last edited:
A less scrupulous parent would tell you to have the 6yo claim to be 7 if it becomes a problem. I don't know what kind of horrible, lousy parent would ever do such as thing as convince their child to lie to ride coasters...but...say...maybe...these parents were tired after 3 back-to-back rides on Rock and Roller Coaster and their 6yo wasn't...and perhaps again when their 6yo wanted to get rides 5 through 8 in on Everest. That said, these rules are their for you and your child's safety and it is against DISboards policy to suggest breaking them.
I'm glad you're not suggesting any sort of rule breaking or lying. That would be most inappropriate.
That said, if A = a CM letting two kids ride together knowing they are 8 and 6, and B = a CM letting two kids ride together because they are told the kids are 8 and 7... I mean... A=B... right?

I'm glad you're not suggesting any sort of rule breaking or lying. That would be most inappropriate.
That said, if A = a CM letting two kids ride together knowing they are 8 and 6, and B = a CM letting two kids ride together because they are told the kids are 8 and 7... I mean... A=B... right?

I have wondered (you know, when I should be working) if the inconsistency is a case of CM ignoring the rule or if CM's don't know/Remember which rules apply to which attractions. I do know that a CM disregarding a safety rule is reason for termination, so I never argue with their job at stake.

My thrill ride junkie is 11 now, so it's mostly past me. Now, once we are in a park, we turn him loose, he knows what is where, has a watch, can buy food if hungry, and we have a spot we all check occasionally to see if the one of us is waiting for other (he doesn't have a phone). We still end up together most of the day, but it gives him some independence and us some time to people watch.

I have wondered (you know, when I should be working) if the inconsistency is a case of CM ignoring the rule or if CM's don't know/Remember which rules apply to which attractions. I do know that a CM disregarding a safety rule is reason for termination, so I never argue with their job at stake.
That's an interesting thought. Given the people on this thread who have experienced the less strict version of the rule, I'd guess it's common enough that it's not a job ending type of decision these CMs are making. Maybe it comes down to the interpretation of what riding with someone means. You'd think Disney would want to have a clear policy on this. But I guess the fact that they don't, or that it's not consistently followed, suggests that a significant incident has never arisen because of it, and all the lying kids have come off the ride in one piece. Lie everybody, it'll be fine! ;-)

It is an unusual ride.

The problem with Barnstormer is that each seat in an independent car
so the "in row in front of them" rule doesn't apply here.

It's been said many times the rule for Barnstormer
is set that someone 14 and older must be in same seat as under 7.

If it happened different, it could be a CM has not worked this ride before (maybe picked up a shift)
or simply forgot because it's different on the other ride(s) they work or they broke protocol.

Be prepared to ride a few times because I don't know that you'd fit or be allowed to sit with both 3 year olds.

e086339087944ffbea56154b1e4dd27c--disney-world-attractions-walt-disney-world.jpg

Be prepared to ride a few times because I don't know that you'd fit or be allowed to sit with both 3 year olds.
Thanks for those thoughts. We definitely won't fit 3 into one seat. I suppose maybe we'll just try all getting in line and see what happens. I'll try to report back in mid June about what happens if we do. :-)
By the way, I assume I would have a similar issue if I brought the 8, 6, and one of the 3 year olds (who is tall enough) on Seven Dwarfs with me?

Thanks for those thoughts. We definitely won't fit 3 into one seat. I suppose maybe we'll just try all getting in line and see what happens. I'll try to report back in mid June about what happens if we do. :-)
By the way, I assume I would have a similar issue if I brought the 8, 6, and one of the 3 year olds (who is tall enough) on Seven Dwarfs with me?

7DMT only seats two per row.

I think it will be hit or miss there. I have been where they made folks get out of the train and step back to the line to figure out how they will ride. One was actually kids about 6 and 9. No go. CMs actually said an adult had to ride in same seat as younger one. Others have reported the same.

But then some have said they had no issues as long as they were in seat in front of them in the same car. Might work out, but if it doesn't, at that point in the ride maybe they just have you wait behind the gate and do a swap inside. I've seen folks do that too.

7 years old and up can ride with a sibling as I understood it. So your 6 and 8 can go together and you 2 adults with the 3 year olds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter