Bars for the Unsociable Solo

bryanb

DIS Veteran
I’m not anti-social, but I’m a bit of an introvert and I don’t always want to make new friends. I know that sounds awful, but I am actually energized by not engaging in a lot of conversation.

For that reason, I have never actually stepped foot in Trader Sam’s Grotto, nor Jock Lindsey’s, nor Rose & Crown Pub. Well actually, for Rose & Crown, I did step in and it was loud and a bunch of college boys who reminded me of my fraternity buddies were cheering and engaged in banter, and I turned my direction and noped out of there real fast.

I do want to visit these three places on my next solo trip. How friendly are they to introverts, or do you need to be a bit more interactive to have a good time?

For Rose and Crown, why not order a drink from the outside booth and drink it in the seating area overlooking the water instead? Or book a meal, it's a nice place to eat and for lunch you're always outdoors so there's always a nice view.

When I’m alone, I’m not very social and/or talkative except with the bartender. I’ve been to all 3 solo and had a great time. At Trader Sams it’s fun to watch when others order the special drinks - you can join in with the festivities or not. I also love people watching at R&C - it can be quite a spectacle. I’ve found the section of the bar closest to the restaurant area a little less raucous as groups dont seem to make it that far around the bar. I’ll stand in whichever section my bartender is working and have been comfortable with little interaction (or none) with other guests regardless of how rowdy the crowd is.

I’ve never been pressured to talk to others or make friends. And when I go with my brother, I let him do most of the talking since he’s super extroverted.

i’ve only been to trader sams two times and never gotten the loud and rowdy college boy vibe there. i think it depends where you are seated. if your solo, i believe they either seat you at the bar or the communal table. i sat at the bar and no one really interacted with me other than the bartender and the servers. at the communal table, i felt more pressured into talking with my table mates. you can go inside and take a peek around to get a feel of the place as you book a reservation. if you happen to not get a reservation, traders sam’s also has an outdoor terrace with all the same drinks i believe and without the wait, but you won’t get all the theming and fun interaction as they present you your drink. i went to the terrace one night and they had a live band of guys playing ukulele’s, so it was very quiet and relaxing out there.

at jock lindsay’s, it is very introvert friendly there. the only time i had a problem there is if you sit at the end of the bar near the entrance. you can get a bit of the loud bunch as you will get people from outside coming in and out ordering to-go drinks from the bar, especially at night time, as some people have already been knocking back a few. so as long as you don’t sit at that part of there bar, i think you’ll be fine. and i’ve never been to the rose and crown, since that place is always super crowded when i pass by.

I am also on the introvert side and last year I visited Jock Lindsay's solo. Sat at small table, ordered an app and a cocktail. It was great for people watching. Food and drink were great. The server was super nice. You will do fine solo. Next trip I plan on trying Trader Sam's Grotto and other of the lounges at the parks and resorts.

I'm definitely the introvert - I definitely thought Jock Lindsay's was fine for that. I haven't been to Trader Sam's yet.

I did Trader Sam’s as an introverted solo person last year and enjoyed it. I was placed at the end of a large communal table which I thought would be terrible but it wasn’t.

The families at my table were more interested in each other than me. We did have just a tad bit of small talk but nothing crazy.

I had a similar experience at Oga’s being seated a communal table as a solo person. I ended up enjoying that more than the time I stood at the Oga’s bar. The drinks are pricey but the experience is great. You might want to check that one out too.

I would definitely take a pass on Oga's as an introvert. Our CM was *very* into his character and I could see it being very uncomfortable for anyone not interested in playing along. Nomad Lounge in DAK is very nice, lovely views, and quiet.

I second Nomad Lounge in AK. My wife and I love to stop in here every time we're in AK and there would be absolutely no pressure here. Whether inside or outside, it's a chill place with good service and lovely vibe. Highly recommend.

I'll also throw in the Bellevue Room at Boardwalk and Rooster's Roost at Port Orleans Riverside if you are also looking for non-park locations. Bellevue Room, I like as a solo because you can sit inside at a small table near the radio and be taken back to the olden days and entertained. They also have an amazing outdoor deck that overlooks the Boardwalk. Great for grabbing a cocktail, kicking back and some people watching. It's also a great back to grab a book/magazine/iphone and relax.

Roosters Roost has Yeehaw Bob who entertains most ( but not all ) nights of the week. If you got on a Yeehaw Bob night, the entertainment is a lot of fun. As an introvert myself, I didn't want to be in the middle of all the fun but was able to sit in the area closest to the lobby on a nice, comfy sofa and take in the festivities from there.

I’m not anti-social, but I’m a bit of an introvert and I don’t always want to make new friends. I know that sounds awful, but I am actually energized by not engaging in a lot of conversation.

For that reason, I have never actually stepped foot in Trader Sam’s Grotto, nor Jock Lindsey’s, nor Rose & Crown Pub... I do want to visit these three places on my next solo trip. How friendly are they to introverts, or do you need to be a bit more interactive to have a good time?
Oof, man I feel ya. I get through most of my days pretending to be a human. While WDW is the kind of magical place that really lets me relax and even be legitimately social, I get where you're coming from. Just keep reminding yourself, as busy as a place might be, it's filled with people who have paid so much that the economics of their trip demands narcissism. None of those people see you or hear you unless you physically bump into them or stop in front of them on the sidewalk.

TSG and JLHB are both very fun places to pitch one back. Mostly because it is the environment that's fun, the places are just fun to be in, even if they were empty.

Here's a trick that works for me. Almost as good as pure solitude is a human interaction where the other person does all the work.

So get a spot at the bar at Sam's and say, "My mate Chris tells me to avoid anything with Falernum, is he right?" and then let them go on and on about how wonderful and traditional this disgusting cocktail additive is and all you have to do is nod at the right time and viola, you're just like real people. Eventually let him convince you and order a Shrunken Zombie, or Take Chris's advice and get a HippopotoMai-Tai (or whatever.) The bar tender will serve you up and then leave you alone, because it's busy in there and s/he's got stuff to do.

Same thing at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. Maybe tell the barkeep, "This is my pal's regular joint, he says you make a great Old Fashion..." At Jock Lindsey's. this is code for "tell me all about Knob Creek Disney Select 120 Proof Bourbon". Which, to be fair, is a really great bourbon. So bar man gets to brag about this stellar Disney exclusive for a few minutes. You get to smile and "ah, you don't say..." for a few minutes. Then you get a drink and a half dozen square feet in which to imbibe it.

Another fun place is the Edison. I make it a regular stop whenever I'm out with the grown ups (a weird way to say wife and friends I suppose) but also when I'm killing time solo. In the evenings there's usually an act of some sort so spending time watching it instead of gabbing with people is totally normal. They have a good bar there as well but the mixologists (a term they more than earn) tend to be chatty, like well more than the 2-4 minutes it takes to appear normal to strangers.

At pretty much any bar in WDW you can lead off with "My buddy Chris says this is a nice place to kill a little time, what's good?" or "My friend Chris says you make a good French 75." They'll take care of you. Unlikely (but not impossible) they remember me but it takes the onus of starting the conversation off you.

I would definitely take a pass on Oga's as an introvert. Our CM was *very* into his character and I could see it being very uncomfortable for anyone not interested in playing along. Nomad Lounge in DAK is very nice, lovely views, and quiet.
I liked Oga's as an introvert. I'm okay chatting with the bartender. Everyone was pretty interested in their own party - and there's lots to look at and the atmosphere is fun. Now - Nomad Lounge - Definitely great for someone who wants a retreat - especially when you can get one of the outside tables for two!

I second Nomad Lounge in AK. My wife and I love to stop in here every time we're in AK and there would be absolutely no pressure here. Whether inside or outside, it's a chill place with good service and lovely vibe. Highly recommend.

Agreed, Nomad Lounge might be my favorite lounge on property.

I may be going solo next year and I like the idea of sitting outside the Rose & Crown. I am not a big drinker but enjoy the odd half a cider :D

I'll also throw in the Bellevue Room at Boardwalk and Rooster's Roost at Port Orleans Riverside if you are also looking for non-park locations. Bellevue Room, I like as a solo because you can sit inside at a small table near the radio and be taken back to the olden days and entertained.

In addition to the radio "programs" to listen, there are countless books from older times to look at. I have been many times at Bellevue lounge, reading some articles in old Grolier's encyclopedias!

I haven't been solo, but it's usually just me and my sister.
Jock Lindsey's would be totally fine. I've only been in the afternoon, but it's always been slow and quiet and the servers generally left us alone aside from checking if we needed anything.
Trader Sam's is the one place I frequently end up talking to strangers, and I'm a definite introvert. Somehow the rum and the special effects just get me all chatty. The bartenders here are great, I'd definitely recommend sitting at the bar if there's a spot, especially as a solo.
Rose and Crown I don't usually hang around inside too much, as it's usually super crowded and there are very few seats, anyway. Belly up to the bar for a few minutes to get a drink to go and then head out. The piano player is great, but I'm usually itching to get out when it's packed with people.

Maybe the Ale & Compass, that seemed like a quiet old fashioned bar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter