Basal cell carcinoma

thank you....curious...been on this community board for over two years and have not seen a skin cancer thread...I had squimsh cell cancer...made medical history....and now in experimental treatment.

Did they recommend having Mohs procedure/surgery?

You should find a dermatologist/plastic surgeon that specializes in this procedure. Extremely high success rate of treatment, plus it's supposed to take minimum of tissue.

I had to have a "extremely large and aggressive" basal cell removed from my forehead two years ago. Unfortunately mine resulted in needing a large skin graft.

The next year I had a very small bump come up above my upper lip (in approximately the area of the line that runs from your nose to your mouth). I was sent to see my Mohs surgeon for even that tiny bump because, according to my local dermatologist, it was probably much deeper than it looked. He was right....

So far, the small area has healed VERY well, you almost can't see it. My forehead is another story, but it was a pretty rare occurrence.

Good luck!!!

I'm still currently on every-6-month rechecks with my dermatologist (for at least another 3 years) and then will have to have a checkup every year forever.

BTW, I was 32 when first diagnosed, had NEVER been in a tanning bed, and was not even a "sun worship" kind of gal. Simple fair-skinned, easy to freckle, and had some fairly bad sunburns as a child.
I also had Moh’s surgery on my forehead 6 years ago. Also needed a skin graft. It only took about 50% which they said was normal. I live in headbands and baseball caps now because my hair is too thin to cover up all the scarring. I was in my 40’s when it first showed up. I was stupid and ignored it at first thinking it would just go away. So far so good I haven’t had any more show up. They think it came from sunburns as a child too. I have a fair complexion.

Did they recommend having Mohs procedure/surgery?

You should find a dermatologist/plastic surgeon that specializes in this procedure. Extremely high success rate of treatment, plus it's supposed to take minimum of tissue.

I had to have a "extremely large and aggressive" basal cell removed from my forehead two years ago. Unfortunately mine resulted in needing a large skin graft.

The next year I had a very small bump come up above my upper lip (in approximately the area of the line that runs from your nose to your mouth). I was sent to see my Mohs surgeon for even that tiny bump because, according to my local dermatologist, it was probably much deeper than it looked. He was right....

So far, the small area has healed VERY well, you almost can't see it. My forehead is another story, but it was a pretty rare occurrence.

Good luck!!!

I'm still currently on every-6-month rechecks with my dermatologist (for at least another 3 years) and then will have to have a checkup every year forever.

BTW, I was 32 when first diagnosed, had NEVER been in a tanning bed, and was not even a "sun worship" kind of gal. Simple fair-skinned, easy to freckle, and had some fairly bad sunburns as a child.
I had Mohs at the start of last year, on my temple. My primary Doctor referred me to a Dermatologist since at the time I was 62 and had never seen a Dermatologist. Dermatologist did everything from the exams, the biopsy, and then came back for the Mohs when basal cell was found. Two Dermatologists in the practice, one who does the exams and biopsies, the other does all the Mohs procedures. You are lucky, because of the discovery of basal cell, I am now on a checkup every six months for the rest of my life. And I am a guy who never sunbathed or worked outside. As a matter of fact, I worked graveyard shift for 25 years and during those years was home asleep during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter