*** Bay Lake Tower Owners Group***

...If you haven't been in awhile, then you might not be aware that everyone has to go through some sort of security before entering MK (and the other parks). If you walk from BLT (or CR), you pass through a security checkpoint and metal detector about 50-60 yards after you've crossed the street. If you monorail, you get checked before you get on the escalator or stairs to go up to that level. ...

Thanks for this info! Does this replace or in any way make the bag check any quicker at the entrance?

Thanks for this info! Does this replace or in any way make the bag check any quicker at the entrance?
We found the whole process to get into MK much less stressful than we anticipated. There is a bag check before you get to any metal detector (or simultaneously in a few cases). For example, at the security checkpoint between CR/BLT and MK, you check your bags as you get to the metal detector. Same if you take the monorail from CR. You have to pass through the bag check and metal detector at virtually the same time. On the other hand, if you go to AK, for example, you'll do the bag check then pass through the metal detector (though they don't make everyone do the latter). Overall, we found the increased security measures easy to navigate. In fact, since there are now so many different checkpoints before getting to the park entrance, we thought the process was actually faster and the lines at the actual turnstiles smaller. Now, we did notice that the lines at the TTC were packed when we drove by a couple of times, but we don't go in that way.

If you walk from BLT (or CR), you pass through a security checkpoint and metal detector about 50-60 yards after you've crossed the street.
Wait... what?? Can you help me visualize where this is / how it works? This replaces the bag check at MK, or comes before it? I' just having a hard time picturing...

Wait... what?? Can you help me visualize where this is / how it works? This replaces the bag check at MK, or comes before it? I' just having a hard time picturing...
Yes, this checkpoint replaces the bag check at MK. If you walk from CR/BLT, you have to take the one sidewalk, of course. You cross over the street (World Drive) at the light, and just past that point there is the security checkpoint. It includes a bag check and a metal detector. Once you clear that checkpoint, you have another 4-5 minute walk before you get to the main entrance where you go straight to the turnstiles. The only bag check and metal detector at the main entrance to MK are for those who bus there since the TTC handles that task for the ferries and monorails departing there; the monorail resorts have bag checks/metal detectors before you board the monorail; and passengers on the boats arriving to MK from places like CR, FW, and WL are checked when they disembark. Since there are so many places that now do bag checks and run metal detectors, then the backup at MK itself was reduced when we were there, and that was the week of the 4th of July. As I mentioned, we did see some congestion at the TTC (though they have far more bag check areas and metal detectors than anywhere else, it appeared), and certainly there was a little longer wait to get through that process if you rode a bus to MK. However, the lines to get through the turnstiles were rarely more than 6-8 people deep, and since we're AP holders, we breezed right in through a separate turnstile. Hope this helps!

Yes, this checkpoint replaces the bag check at MK. If you walk from CR/BLT, you have to take the one sidewalk, of course. You cross over the street (World Drive) at the light, and just past that point there is the security checkpoint. It includes a bag check and a metal detector. Once you clear that checkpoint, you have another 4-5 minute walk before you get to the main entrance where you go straight to the turnstiles. The only bag check and metal detector at the main entrance to MK are for those who bus there since the TTC handles that task for the ferries and monorails departing there; the monorail resorts have bag checks/metal detectors before you board the monorail; and passengers on the boats arriving to MK from places like CR, FW, and WL are checked when they disembark. Since there are so many places that now do bag checks and run metal detectors, then the backup at MK itself was reduced when we were there, and that was the week of the 4th of July. As I mentioned, we did see some congestion at the TTC (though they have far more bag check areas and metal detectors than anywhere else, it appeared), and certainly there was a little longer wait to get through that process if you rode a bus to MK. However, the lines to get through the turnstiles were rarely more than 6-8 people deep, and since we're AP holders, we breezed right in through a separate turnstile. Hope this helps!

Sorry I'm getting a bit far afield from the original question, but 1) so if you take monorail from BLT/CR to Epcot, your security/bag check is at the CR and you don't have to do it again at TTC? and 2) there's a separate turnstile for AP holders? and 3) there's a separate turnstile for AP holders!!!???

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to detail this out!! This is SO helpful to know! I managed to totally miss this until now.

Last time we were at WDW was last Nov at Poly and didn't experience this. As BLT is our home resort, we spend most time there -- very good to know how this will work in a few weeks!

:thanks:

Sorry I'm getting a bit far afield from the original question, but 1) so if you take monorail from BLT/CR to Epcot, your security/bag check is at the CR and you don't have to do it again at TTC? and 2) there's a separate turnstile for AP holders? and 3) there's a separate turnstile for AP holders!!!???
:rotfl: Your post made me chuckle out loud. Yes, there is a separate turnstile for AP holders at all the parks. It usually saved us a moment or two; however, a couple of times we bounced to a regular turnstile when the AP line got bogged down. As for your first question, that is correct. You will hit the security check before you get on the monorail at CR--it sits right next to the stairs and escalator leading up to the monorail. Once on the monorail, there is no need to go back through a security checkpoint unless you get off then get back on. For example, say you rode the monorail to Poly to have a drink at Trader Sam's, then you'd have to go back through the security checkpoint at the Poly prior to boarding. That particular check point sits on the walkway to the monorail after you exit the building.

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to detail this out!! This is SO helpful to know! I managed to totally miss this until now.

Last time we were at WDW was last Nov at Poly and didn't experience this. As BLT is our home resort, we spend most time there -- very good to know how this will work in a few weeks!

:thanks:
You're so welcome! We've had two trips since May, and we stayed at BLT for a night this last trip, so we got familiar with some aspects of the security checks. Others may very well have a different tale to tell, but for us, we found the congestion actually less than with what we've experienced the past few years. Then again, it's just the two of us with no kids. :thumbsup2

Just returned from 5 wonderful days at BLT with my DH, daughters and their kids. Had 3 standard studios. About a week before our arrival, I called BLT and spoke to the room assigner and requested the rooms be as close as possible. We couldn't have been happier with our rooms, 7107 and 7109 were right next to each other, first floor, and the 5 cousins could play with each other outside the rooms. DH and I were in room 7106, right across from girls. We've stayed at BLT several times and I feel the service and friendliness of the CM's has improved tremendously. Can't wait to return home to BLT!!

Yes, this checkpoint replaces the bag check at MK. If you walk from CR/BLT, you have to take the one sidewalk, of course. You cross over the street (World Drive) at the light, and just past that point there is the security checkpoint. It includes a bag check and a metal detector. Once you clear that checkpoint, you have another 4-5 minute walk before you get to the main entrance where you go straight to the turnstiles...

Ha - this means I'll have to finish my beer 4-5 minutes earlier :) I often grab a beer and enjoy it on the leisurely walk to Magic Kingdom, finishing it before going through security.

Happy Birthday, Bay Lake Tower! The resort opened on August 4, 2009, it is 8 years old today. :mickeyjum

WOW!! It doesn't seem like it's been that long!! We purchased before it opened. The grown up so fast!! :rotfl2:

We are going to be at BLT and want to use the monorail to Epcot. If we go through bag check at the CR, will we be already cleared when we transfer to the Epcot monorail at the TTC?

We are going to be at BLT and want to use the monorail to Epcot. If we go through bag check at the CR, will we be already cleared when we transfer to the Epcot monorail at the TTC?
You will go through security before getting on at CR and then again when you enter EPCOT. No additional security at TTC.

Just returned from 5 wonderful days at BLT with my DH, daughters and their kids. Had 3 standard studios. About a week before our arrival, I called BLT and spoke to the room assigner and requested the rooms be as close as possible. We couldn't have been happier with our rooms, 7107 and 7109 were right next to each other, first floor, and the 5 cousins could play with each other outside the rooms. DH and I were in room 7106, right across from girls. We've stayed at BLT several times and I feel the service and friendliness of the CM's has improved tremendously. Can't wait to return home to BLT!!
That's so awesome! And it gives me much hope! We have 3 standard studios booked for a week in September and the owner put in a request for us to have the rooms close together. It's so nice to hear that it's possible! The owner put a request in a few months ago on our behalf, I'm guessing that's as good a request as we are going to get?

Not a big purchase but I bought 50 points at BLT and should close on it in the next 3-4 weeks. No points this year but was able to purchase 15 points last night from an owner and will be staying for one night; December 20. We have a timeshare at Vistana for 2 weeks, starting December 17, when I drive down. The rest of the family arrives by Southwest the night of the 20th, with a daughter celebrating her 21st birthday. I'll have the cake and refreshments ready for when they arrive my Magical Express.

We have 50 points at BLT and we stay there about once every three years, by banking a year's points into the next year, using our use year, and borrowing from the following year so that we have 150 to work with. Our main contract is at OKW, and we love it there too. We have often been able to switch to other resorts at the 7 month mark.

We just closed at the end of last month for 170 BLT points! We stayed at BLT in 2016 and although the decor isn't our favorite, there is so much we LOVE about the resort that we broke our own rule (stay in a few places before buying in FL) and bought. So, now we own at VGC and BLT and I couldn't be happier. The location, the ease of transportation, the 3rd bathroom in the 2 bedroom units, and the close by food options just make it a perfect fit for our family! We will return in 2019 for a 12-14 day visit, bringing my mom and her best friend. We can't wait to show them BLT.

We just closed at the end of last month for 170 BLT points! We stayed at BLT in 2016 and although the decor isn't our favorite, there is so much we LOVE about the resort that we broke our own rule (stay in a few places before buying in FL) and bought. So, now we own at VGC and BLT and I couldn't be happier. The location, the ease of transportation, the 3rd bathroom in the 2 bedroom units, and the close by food options just make it a perfect fit for our family! We will return in 2019 for a 12-14 day visit, bringing my mom and her best friend. We can't wait to show them BLT.

:welcome: HOME!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter