BBB Princess Packages for Boys?

ccahpp25

Cat Mom in a Mouse World
Hi there! This will be my five year old sons third trip, but his first trip when he isn't either an infant, or restricted by the COVID guidelines, so I'm so so excited to get to give him the Disney World experiences I loved most as a child! I got a BBB reservation for him, but he isn't going to want the prince/knight/whatever "boy" packages they offer. For reference, when given online shopping options for costumes, he picked an Ariel dress and a Mirabel dress; and he was Elsa for Halloween last year, so he also has an Elsa costume. I've been able to find blog sites that say that boys can get the princess treatment without any issues, but I'm struggling to find any stories of people who have actually done it for their boys, and I can't imagine that my kiddo is the first boy who's ever wanted one, so I'm looking for some personal experiences with it. Has anyone had a little boy who did a princess package with the BBB? Did the fairy godmothers make it as special for them as they do for the girls? I know that as long as it goes well, he will be on cloud nine with the whole experience!

And if you have anything negative to say about my tiny human, please don't waste your time. I guarantee I've heard anything bad you have to say, and worse, but I'm not going to stifle his creativity (especially at Disney World!) to satisfy the naysayers.

Hi there! This will be my five year old sons third trip, but his first trip when he isn't either an infant, or restricted by the COVID guidelines, so I'm so so excited to get to give him the Disney World experiences I loved most as a child! I got a BBB reservation for him, but he isn't going to want the prince/knight/whatever "boy" packages they offer. For reference, when given online shopping options for costumes, he picked an Ariel dress and a Mirabel dress; and he was Elsa for Halloween last year, so he also has an Elsa costume. I've been able to find blog sites that say that boys can get the princess treatment without any issues, but I'm struggling to find any stories of people who have actually done it for their boys, and I can't imagine that my kiddo is the first boy who's ever wanted one, so I'm looking for some personal experiences with it. Has anyone had a little boy who did a princess package with the BBB? Did the fairy godmothers make it as special for them as they do for the girls? I know that as long as it goes well, he will be on cloud nine with the whole experience!

And if you have anything negative to say about my tiny human, please don't waste your time. I guarantee I've heard anything bad you have to say, and worse, but I'm not going to stifle his creativity (especially at Disney World!) to satisfy the naysayers.
No experience but I feel like Disney would do a good job of this and still make it magical! Have a good trip. :)

My boy did the knight package, but I can tell you that his experience was just as special as his sisters'. We brought outfits for each of my children and did the most basic package (knight for my son and whatever they call the princess one without the dress). The difference between the experience was for the knight package my son got a sword and shield. For the princess package, my daughters got to choose two hair accessories--a hair piece and then a clip, tiara, or flower headband. They got to choose the style/hair accessories from a book. For the styling, my son got gel and hair glitter and my daughters got full hair-styling, makeup, painted nails, and a face gem. My daughters also got a pink "Best Day Ever" shirt. You'll be able to tell them what package you want when you check in at the boutique.
The child will have two opportunities to determine what they will be called. When you check in they will ask for the child's name and how they would like to be addressed--king, queen, prince, princess, dragon-slayer, etc. At the end of the makeover they announce each child. If they are wearing a character costume (such as Elsa), they will ask if they want to be announced as "Princess Elsa" or "Princess First Name."
I know that's not exactly the information you were looking for, but hopefully that will give you an idea of what to expect from a recent experience. I'm sure your kid will have a great time. My kids all loved it and even as expensive as it was, I felt like it was money well spent.

My boy did the knight package, but I can tell you that his experience was just as special as his sisters'. We brought outfits for each of my children and did the most basic package (knight for my son and whatever they call the princess one without the dress). The difference between the experience was for the knight package my son got a sword and shield. For the princess package, my daughters got to choose two hair accessories--a hair piece and then a clip, tiara, or flower headband. They got to choose the style/hair accessories from a book. For the styling, my son got gel and hair glitter and my daughters got full hair-styling, makeup, painted nails, and a face gem. My daughters also got a pink "Best Day Ever" shirt. You'll be able to tell them what package you want when you check in at the boutique.
The child will have two opportunities to determine what they will be called. When you check in they will ask for the child's name and how they would like to be addressed--king, queen, prince, princess, dragon-slayer, etc. At the end of the makeover they announce each child. If they are wearing a character costume (such as Elsa), they will ask if they want to be announced as "Princess Elsa" or "Princess First Name."
I know that's not exactly the information you were looking for, but hopefully that will give you an idea of what to expect from a recent experience. I'm sure your kid will have a great time. My kids all loved it and even as expensive as it was, I felt like it was money well spent.
That's what I really want to know, is that he will get to have a special experience. I had heard a few (really not a lot, but enough to make me nervous) stories where it sounded like the boys were a bit of an afterthought in this, but I appreciate hearing about a recent good experience! Thank you!

No personal experience but we once saw a boy in a Snow White dress that I think did the BBB experience. His hair was done (it was pretty short so mostly gel) and it was very glittered. I didn’t really pay close attention to if he had makeup or nails done. Just caught a glimpse of him in a stroller waving a wand. This was a very long time ago. I would say about 10 yr ago.

I don’t know a lot about the process, but from the little I’ve seen (went once with my cousin’s daughter) it depends more on the Godmother’s Apprentice that you get. They will all try to make your experience magical, of course, but as with any job some will sell it better than others, and some will be a better fit for specific kids / families, personality wise.

Does your son want the “authentic” BBB experience? If not I think that some of the small private companies who do in-room makeovers might be a good choice as you can talk to your Apprentice beforehand and make sure it’s a good fit. Everyone’s idea of “magical” varies a bit and for some it might be a low key person who’s not overstimulating, for some it might be someone who’s boisterous and gregarious and makes a big fuss, and so on. You can also pre arrange various details of the makeover that way. If your son is set on going to the “real” BBB, I would recommend trying to get a word in with your Apprentice at the beginning of the makeover. Maybe just quickly let them know what you’re looking for - my cousin’s daughter is on the spectrum so we tried to convey that a calm approach was best, and her stylist was awesome with accommodating. So if you’re looking for something in particular stylistically, I would just let them know that directly.

I‘ve followed @onceuponabron on YT for years, since she first went viral after she posted a GRWM for her former job at BBB. I’m 90% sure that it was her who once shared a story about a male child who selected a princess dress and how the CMs/Fairy Godmothers there really went above and beyond to make it a special experience. The mom either came back later in the day or sent them a cast compliment. Afterwards, the mom had admitted that she was somewhat apprehensive about the reactions that he’d get throughout the day, and she was more than pleasantly surprised that all of the other CMs and even guests were so kind to them.

Anyway, I distinctly remember the story although I‘m not certain if it was Bronwyn who shared it. It stood out to me bc the Godmother sharing it had happy tears in her eyes just from talking about it on social media later in the day. Now every time I’m there, I look around for families in the same situation because I saw how much the kindness meant to them in that story. Granted, it’s almost entirely (or entirely) a different group of CMs who work at the boutiques now since that was pre-pandemic, but I hope his experience is just as amazing as it was for that child.

Might be worth trying to call in advance closer to the appointment date to discuss/ ask which fairy godmother in training might be the best fit for the situation and seeing if that person could be requested. My daughter went twice. The first time was great and the second time was a huge waste and it all came down to the person doing the makeover the first was light hearted and playful the second time she was clearly just doing her job. Just not anywhere near as fun. The stylists makes or breaks the experience

I just went to BBB in Feb. Several cast members appeared to be presenting as non-binary and pushing the new nail polish and hair rules. They're not there by accident. They've got this. Of course boys have done this.

I have no doubt they'd do any of the princess stuff for a boy, including calling him a princess, and let you buy whatever you want. The materials actually aren't gendered at all, it's just a binder. They are very careful with gendering and ask for your title, and everyone checks it. (Mine chose queen LOL). The fairy godmothers are now called "apprentices" to be neutral.

The problem with the princess hairstyles is that they are all variations on a bun/high pony. If your boy's hair is too short, it just isn't going to physically work. It might end up being some gel and some glitter. I mean, I'm sure they can make it work with that, though.

I've seen many boys in full-on princess dresses at WDW. You're going to be fine.

Last edited:
Hi I need to confess that I recently was in line at DS Starbucks with a family =Mother , young teen boy and little sister. I found myself staring at them because they had beautiful thick hair and so pretty and Loving . And the young teen had a cute wallet and bracelet . I just loved everything so much and then I realized it probably was rude to not be able to take my eyes of of them . I am a grandmother with a family that has every color of the rainbow So not prejudiced … just love seeing almost perfection . I hope that family does not think I was being judgmental for staring … Anyway the point is That young man seemed to be very confident and not concerned about me . And that is what is the most important thing . We should all be confident enough to not care about anybodys thoughts . We should treat each other with love and respect.
I think your son is also so loved With you being so caring and fun too!
Those people aren’t staring they just Wish they had a Mom like you .

I was just at BBB with my 9 year old son on Saturday. He chose the knight package and we added on a cape. His fairy godmother's apprentice was awesome. Her name was Rachael. She put on this huge show of knighting him. I'm sure they will make the experience awesome for your son.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter