BCV vs. AKL

KateB

DIS Veteran
Hey all!

We are planning our next trip for the beginning of August and need some help. My DH doesn't have a preference and we don't have any kids. We are going for 11 days and haven't stayed at Kidani or BCV. We are slowing making it to every resort and can't pick which to do next. Thoughts and opinions on these 2 resorts would be SO appreciated!

Thanks!

If you never did either, I would try a split stay to see both in one trip. 11 days, that would be a good test, 5 night at each.
If you don't want to split, I would go for BCV in August. The pool, Storm a-long bay, would be a plus.

If you never did either, I would try a split stay to see both in one trip. 11 days, that would be a good test, 5 night at each.
If you don't want to split, I would go for BCV in August. The pool, Storm a-long bay, would be a plus.

I agree, I would split or just do BCV because I really enjoy swimming at BCV. The villa pool is a good size and convenient, and SAB is fabulous!

If I was doing studios, I would pick Jambo over Kidani because of the double sinks. As an adult, I also prefer Jambo's pool. For villas larger than a studio I almost always pick Kidami because you can get dedicated 2 bedroom with 2 queen beds and 3 bathrooms. Also the 1 bedrooms have 2 full bathrooms.

We don't want to do a split stay since we haven't been in a few years. The last time we did a split it made the trip seem shorter. We are planning on doing a 1 bedroom, since we have family coming down and do they will want to come and hang out with us. We love having the living room and kitchen area for that.

A split stay can be a pain with several people (and kids) but, when DH and I did split stay last January between ASM, AKV, BLT, it actually made the trip seem longer ("remember when we were at...?!")
I have never stayed at BCV, but it is in walking distance to HS and EPCOT, miniature golf, etc. AKV is awesome and there's sporting activities, but it is more secluded and you have to take the bus everywhere.

Another one who recommends a split stay. I've actually done a split stay between those two resorts several times, and I think it's perfect. When I'm at AKL, I only go to AK and MK. Then, when I'm at BCV, I concentrate on the two parks, DHS and Epcot. It makes for a great vacation-I really recommend it.

We have done Kidani and BCV without kids. Love both so you can't go wrong. The walking distance to HS and Epcot can't be beat. But, the restaurants and lounge at Kidani/Jambo are great as well. If I had to pick, without kids, it would be BCV. Walking to Jellyrolls, Epcot, Big River, Flying Fish and BlueZoo was perfect for our adult trips.

Another one who recommends a split stay. I've actually done a split stay between those two resorts several times, and I think it's perfect. When I'm at AKL, I only go to AK and MK. Then, when I'm at BCV, I concentrate on the two parks, DHS and Epcot. It makes for a great vacation-I really recommend it.
Agree. I am doing that July 2017'
I, too, feel the split stay makes the vacation feel longer. It is like 2 vacations.
AKL is my favorite though, and it is not a lovely WDW vacation for me without a few days there.

Tough call. Love Kidani and its theming, space, and quiet atmosphere. Don't like BCV's thematic elements as much, but being within walking distance to Epcot and DHS is a bonus. Further, as another noted, you'll have more restaurant choices closer to you at BCV than Kidani: Il Mulino, Kimono's, anything in Epcot, bluezoo, Shula's, et. al. Kidani has one of our favorite restaurants--Sanaa--and Jiko is close by at Jambo; however, the options near BCV are far more numerous. Given BCV has an exceptional pool where adults can find squeeze in some alone time, in the end I give the nod to them over Kidani. However, if peace and quiet, animals on the savannah, and gorgeous rooms are what you prefer, Kidani would be an excellent choice.

I vote for AKL, but Jambo House, not Kidani. Huge pool that never seems crowded and crazy like Kidani. I also love that Jiko and Boma are right there with no transportation needed. Splurge on the signature meal at Jiko!! It's awesome!

Easy answer: if you want to try every resort, then go for BCV. It's more difficult to get than AKV, so if you can get a reservation at BCV, get it, next time finding availability at Kidani won't be too difficult..

Easy answer: if you want to try every resort, then go for BCV. It's more difficult to get than AKV, so if you can get a reservation at BCV, get it, next time finding availability at Kidani won't be too difficult..
All else equal, this would be my answer but my guess is all else isn't equal. The 1 BR at Kidani has the extra BA if that matters but AKV is a little more difficult from a transportation standpoint than BCV. Whether you'll have a car and the dining and park plans would likely determine the best answer for most people. Just to hang out at the resort I'd pick AKV Kidani. To use as a base for parks with any park volume it would not be my choice, esp if I didn't have a car or were not willing to drive to the parks.

I agree with previous posters and for an 11 day stay i would split it up and stay at both. Of course this really depends on where you own and availability for the time of year you are looking at. Both have their benefits and attractions.

Every year we do a split stay at AKV and the BC. It has become part of our routine and honestly makes our stay seem longer and better. We always stay at AKV for 3 nights. We love Jambo house The Mara, The pool, the hotel is gorgeous. WE have also done Kidani and have found the Savana View is closer and better there . We often walk over to Jambo pool and the Mara. (its shorter than some of the corridor walks). Then after our relaxing stay at AKL where we frequent th
AK..we move on to a longer stay at BCV. The hotel moves our luggage. It barely disrupts our day. We go to Epcot in the morning then walk over to Our BCV take a pool break then on to HS. BCV is gorgeous and we feel..in the middle of everything. After our rest at AKV we are ready to hop so BCV is more accessible to all of the parks. I love it. One year we may try the Polynesian . We frequent MK. Its all good...that being said we are more intense about park hopping and love to go all day with afternoon pool break.
The move is just part of the fun for us. WE enjoy the change . The negative is packing up for transfer to BCV. It is a bit disruptive .

We don't want to do a split stay since we haven't been in a few years. The last time we did a split it made the trip seem shorter. We are planning on doing a 1 bedroom, since we have family coming down and do they will want to come and hang out with us. We love having the living room and kitchen area for that.

If available, I would recommend BCV because the refurbished rooms are lovely and, with family coming down, you will have easy access to the shops, restaurants, and nightlife of the Epcot Resorts area.

Love the answers
DW was thinking of AKV studio but DH wants to be closer to EPCOT

Not sure where to stay
Just the 2 of us
If our DS age 27 and DD age 24
With thier significant friends want to join us
They pay their own way
And must likely want to do things on their own
Except a nice dinner we the parents pay for;)

Hey all!

We are planning our next trip for the beginning of August and need some help. My DH doesn't have a preference and we don't have any kids. We are going for 11 days and haven't stayed at Kidani or BCV. We are slowing making it to every resort and can't pick which to do next. Thoughts and opinions on these 2 resorts would be SO appreciated!

Thanks!

Well one more on the S/S bandwagon... I can see your point about making your vacay feel short...Instead of an equal split, what about like 2 or 3 nights at BCV, & then follow it with a True 7 niter at AKV...That way you will get the feel for both...We've only visited friends at BCV, never stayed, & enjoyed it to some extent, but AKV/L is a whole different animal *(Pun INTENDED:teeth:) It's like a vacation from a vacation...

The fact that it's a mere 20 min. ride from MK is actually not bad, but sort of transports you into a whole other place. There's so much to do & see here...
But also agree w/ what many of the PP's stated.

One more vote for split, but like others say doesn't have to be even split. We stayed at AKL kidani and love the secluded little hot tub by fitness center -out of the hustle and bustle, but pool was a bit of a walk. Seeing the animals, esp at night was cool for a bit but not something that as adults would draw us there for an extended stay. BCV is our home and is very easy walk to epcot and nice to stroll boardwalk at night , not to mention the pool lol.

We love the boardwalk area, and we are not fans of AKL. We once decided on a split stay btwn Akl and bwv. We were very glad we did.

Every person has differing tastes and preferences. It might be a safer bet to split the stay just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter