Be careful with those metal straws!

One googled picture doesn't prove your point. Is that all you can find? Your original post gave the impression this was some massive damage control to marine life by eliminating plastic straws.
First of all, that wasn't a Googled photo, that was a Googled video. Second of all, if you use Google yourself, you'd quickly see the reasons why we should try to diminish our use of plastic products, including straws. Third of all, I can't even.

And fourth of all...
aaaaaalll-righty-then-alrighty-meme (1).jpg

*I did Google this photo though.

This seems like an awfully unlikely scenario. Obviously it happened to this poor lady, but "freak" accidents are called "freak" for a reason. Its like advocating not using a seat belt because one person died getting caight in their seat el one time.

Last edited:
This seems like an awfully unlikely scenario. Obviously it happened to this poor lady, but "greak" accidents were called "freak". Its like advocating not using a seat belt because one person died getting caight in their seat el one time.
I agree that's it unlikely this exact scenario will happen again, but I'm not at all surprised that someone got a chipped tooth from a metal straw. IMHO, sturdy, paper straws are a better option.

All sorts of things we use every day can cause harm if just the right set of circumstances lines up in just the right way. I have a friend who sustained a very serious injury and almost bled to death because she tripped while loading the dishwasher and landed just so that a fork tore one of the larger veins in her lower arm. I don't think that's a good argument against either forks or dishwashers, and I don't think this incident makes any sort of case against metal straws. I wouldn't use them for young kids, who tend to do more walking around with their drinks and be less attentive/steady on their feet, but I'm also not tossing out my stainless straws for fear of the danger.

I agree that's it unlikely this exact scenario will happen again, but I'm not at all surprised that someone got a chipped tooth from a metal straw. IMHO, sturdy, paper straws are a better option.

A lot of metal straws come with silicone "bumpers" to avoid that problem (and to prevent uncomfortable temperature transfer). My set has them, and it is so much more comfortable than either bare metal or paper straws.

A lot of metal straws come with silicone "bumpers" to avoid that problem (and to prevent uncomfortable temperature transfer). My set has them, and it is so much more comfortable than either bare metal or paper straws.
I haven't tried metal straws with bumpers, but a restaurant we ate at last week had sturdy paper straws. They were better than plastic straws.

I haven't tried metal straws with bumpers, but a restaurant we ate at last week had sturdy paper straws. They were better than plastic straws.

I don't think I've ever encountered a good paper straw, but around here plastic is still the norm in restaurants so I just do without. But when one of my idiot cats chewed up the hard plastic straw that came with my insulated cup, I ordered some metal ones with the silicone sleeves and I really like them. They're easier to keep clean than the plastic one was and quite comfortable to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!