Be uncool! Report them!

It stinks that now nobody can enjoy the parks due to those who think the rules don’t apply to them. I’m glad people here stopped using fields and courts so the tone didn’t have to shut the parks down. We have 28,000 residents in a 3 mile area, we need the parks.

She didn't announce it yet, they closed the lakefront last night. She's scheduled to update later today. Hopefully they give "one more chance" because apparently a ton of people sent/called in complaints yesterday about large groups playing basketball, etc., in the parks.

I hope we can all still walk, enjoy the lakefront and use the trails! :)

She didn't announce it yet, they closed the lakefront last night. She's scheduled to update later today. Hopefully they give "one more chance" because apparently a ton of people sent/called in complaints yesterday about large groups playing basketball, etc., in the parks.

I hope we can all still walk, enjoy the lakefront and use the trails! :)
Enjoy while you can. Here in Canada they have closed all National Parks. The government is telling to stay home except for work and groceries. Yes you can walk around your neighborhood but they dont want people driving to places for walks

Yes you can walk around your neighborhood but they dont want people driving to places for walks
My county just did the same thing. All outdoor activity has to originate from your home.

All parks, beaches, trails etc were closed due to crowding over the past weekend.

I can’t call the cops on people, but I do agree they suck. Someone on my neighborhood board posted a polite request for people to try and maintain distance as possible on our running trails and some of the replies were shockingly mean
My nextdoor social networking site has good and bad apples. For every good person there's a flood of bad.

There's been good posts though about helping neighbors out especially grocery shopping at this time, and the normal lost pets posts.

Right now though someone is blasting a neighborhood for having their kids...play in their own backyards..because a man in his 70s (reported to have underlying health issues but not all news sources mentioned that so I'm still unsure if he did) is one of our deaths and he was from that neighborhood. While it's very sad he passed away it's also not fair IMO to yell at parents for allowing their kids to play in their own backyards trying to associate the man's death with that activity.

But Nextdoor has a lot of communication from our police department and county so I try and scroll past the bad stuff these days.

Sounds like you are out and about a lot. Aren't you supposed to be sheltering in place?
And minding one
I reported a restaurant for flaunting the fact that they were still open and allowing dine-in customers when that was banned by the state. The owner was arguing on FaceBook that because they were attached to a food mart, people could still come in to eat. He was bragging that he told the Health Department that he was only doing carry out orders, and that if people chose to sit at the tables that wasn’t on him.

Anyways, I screenshot his posts and sent them to the Health Department. Dude was shut down the next day.
Not something I would be proud of doing. Hard to believe people are going around turning people in.

Every day I am grateful to have a big backyard. As much as my husband complains about how much work it needs, we always say we picked the right house. I feel for people in big cities who don't have that. I lived in many apartments in NOLA and we always went to the lakefront or City Park. I would cry if that was taken away.

Attention all cars. Attention all cars. Reports of gang of several youth throwing large oblong shaped brown object at each other. some wearing helmets and what appear to be Cowboys Jerseys. Approach with caution.

Every day I am grateful to have a big backyard. As much as my husband complains about how much work it needs, we always say we picked the right house. I feel for people in big cities who don't have that. I lived in many apartments in NOLA and we always went to the lakefront or City Park. I would cry if that was taken away.

I agree, gardening has been such a needed mental health break for me. All of my regular nurseries have even moved their inventory online so you can place an order ahead of time and have them put it in your car with no contact, just like you do at the grocery store.

I agree, gardening has been such a needed mental health break for me. All of my regular nurseries have even moved their inventory online so you can place an order ahead of time and have them put it in your car with no contact, just like you do at the grocery store.

I need to look into this and see if our local nursery remained open after the mandate came down. Our front flower bed is halfway done and I need some more flowers. One of new lavender plants died, too. :(

I have some basil and catnip growing! We planted chives, cat grass, and some flower I forgot the name of, but growing from seed can be tough down here without the right kind of environment.

Sorry this is way off topic!

I'm just going to leave this here. Fair warning that the CC translations include some foul language.

'Stay at home!': Italian mayors send emotional plea to residents — video

I would not encourage people to call in violations unless their community has suggested it or encouraged it.

Our police are patrolling and watching public areas and have specifically said to not flood the system with calls about park violations.

It sounds like they are encouraging residents of your area to report. That’s great! In our smaller community, we have been advised to not call as they are patrolling public areas regularly.

In all seriousness.

I don't mind being made fun of on this thread. :) It truly doesn't bother me.

But I read posts on this here board:

No one cares if old people die
No one cares that the economy is crashing
The guy stocking groceries at the grocery store was standing too close to me
My family members are calling me because they are bored with quarantine
I'm worried about my kids losing jobs
People are out of work
People are losing money
WDW should open
WDW should stay closed

All of the above is due to Covid - which is currently being addressed by a small number of states with shelter in place. That's the best they can do for now.

So in order to fix most of the above, we need to be able to return to our normal lives. But we can't do that as cases keep rising. So we need to social distance in earnest. I think most would agree the more we all participate, the faster we can slow the spread and hopefully the sooner our lives can return to normal.

You all want our lives to return to normal.
Yet you are fine with people in the shelter in place areas completely ignoring the social distancing guidelines and gathering in large groups in our public places. And those actions will have consequences for everyone, including you on here laughing at me (again, fine. They made fun of Jesus too ;) - kidding, kidding), and those consequences will result in tighter restrictions, longer restrictions, more illness/deaths, more job loss and more small businesses disappearing for everyone.
And if you aren't fine with it, you seem to be fine with being complacent and just ignoring it, assuming/hoping it will be taken care of.

Sure, it's uncomfortable to be a stool pigeon (haven't read that one yet), but after reading all the comments on the thread, I'm still happy I tried to do my part helping all of us get out of this situation sooner rather than later.

:)

(and for those concerned, I sure am following the rules. We go out for walks together and practice social distancing - it's not hard. Only going to grocery when we have to. Also, Chicago's lakefront is now officially closed until further notice. Boo. :( )

Last edited:
And minding one

Not something I would be proud of doing. Hard to believe people are going around turning people in.
He was violating state guidance and Health Department orders and bragging about it on FaceBook. He could have stayed open and done carry out. I’m not proud of reporting him, but I am disgusted that he was proud of flouting the health of others. I would absolutely do it again.

I would not encourage people to call in violations unless their community has suggested it or encouraged it.

Our police are patrolling and watching public areas and have specifically said to not flood the system with calls about park violations.

It sounds like they are encouraging residents of your area to report. That’s great! In our smaller community, we have been advised to not call as they are patrolling public areas regularly.
Our police department advised it's not their intent to go after individuals at this time.

On the other side of the state line another police department had this to say:

Obviously as time goes on in our 30day stay at home things could change. I wouldn't have a problem reporting a business. A dine in ban has been in place since March 16th so yeah if you're still operating that way versus curbside, delivery pick up only I think that's a big issue and is something they want you to report as the 30-day was for sure aimed at getting some of the businesses to comply. There's also things even essential business have to do like marking on the floor by the cash register 6 feet spots so it's not like a free for all there either.

Maybe others are just missing how serious Mayor Lightfoot is taking this in Chicago. Gov. Pritzker did in fact elude to telling people to call the police if they see a large gathering, and to let the police handle it, when he announced the stay at home order last Friday.
I am aware that other states are not taking this seriously at all. That may be what is contributing to the fact that the US is about to be #1 in terms of confirmed cases around the world, despite our much smaller population compared to China and our lack of testing capabilities.
I appreciate the efforts being put into stopping the spread in Chicago and Illinois, and hate that an ignorant few are ruining what few opportunities we have to blow off some steam while we fight this together. I understand why Mayor Lightfoot has to do what she has to do, but I wish people just took her first warnings seriously, and then we wouldn't be in the shape we are currently in.

This whole thing just stinks.
For the record, I think @Farro did the right thing, as that is what the authorities advised to do. I won’t call our police, as they are patrolling and advised that we should not call about gatherings in public areas at this time. I just wish people were responsible, cared about others and followed the orders so it wouldn’t even have to be a conversation. In my dreams!

Ever since our schools were shut down nearly 2 weeks ago now, we’ve done our part. Stayed home, only going out for walks, playing in our backyard. One curbside grocery pickup. It’s just so defeating seeing people just completely ignore this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter