Beach club versus Contemporary Garden Wing

Disneymom2235

Earning My Ears
We are traveling for 6 nights in March and debating between the above 2 resorts. Our kids are 10, 7 and 4. We have been to Disney 3 times before and stayed at Art of Animation. Contemporary is slightly cheaper but not enough to factor into my decision tbh. We are planning 2 days at MK, 1 EPCOT and 1 HS. Then a down day for the pool and Disney Springs or Boardwalk. I know the convenience of the Contemporary but also want to feel like I’m on vacation and not detached from Disney being in the back of the resort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Don't bother with wasting a day at the BW. There really isn't much to do during the day, at least until much later in the day.

A Wing room at the Contemporary will be much larger than the BC room. With three kids, you might appreciate the space. You can walk to MK for the two days and monorail to Epcot for that day. You'd have to take a bus to DHS. You might have a view of Bay Lake or even across to WL area. That might be a nice view to feel like you are on vacation. It was a real easy walk to head over to the main building from the wing building. And you are pretty close to both pools. But the best part is you don't have to wait on an elevator to get down from your room. You can easily take the stairs at the Wing bldg.

I'm just going to say this - even as a kid in the early 80's, I remember staying in the Garden Wing and wishing I was in the tower. I vowed never to stay at CR again until we could afford a Theme Park View Tower Room. We still haven't stayed there. :rotfl:

We absolutely love Yacht/Beach Club.

BC is probably my favorite Disney resort, so I would stay there. The Contemporary is great for the two days at MK and has many aspects I enjoy. But overall, BC is better

Stormalong Bay is the greatest hotel pool I’ve ever seen, so I vote Beach Club.

But tbh, when we go we always stay at the Contemporary because it’s so much more convenient with our littles. We stayed in the tower with a theme park view, and in the garden wing... I liked them equally! If you’re going to put your 4 year old in a stroller, I would recommend a 1st floor garden wing. My 5 and 2 year olds stayed up as late as they could at MVMCP and fell asleep in the stroller, and we loved walking back and not having to worry about bus/monorail/lines/people/elevators etc.

I vote for BC since you can walk or boat to HS and Epcot. We stayed at CR once and while the walk to the MK was nice we didn’t like the monorail since you have to transfer to get to Epcot. We love the pool at the whole atmosphere at BC and my kids refuse to stay anywhere else 😀

We are traveling for 6 nights in March and debating between the above 2 resorts. Our kids are 10, 7 and 4. We have been to Disney 3 times before and stayed at Art of Animation. Contemporary is slightly cheaper but not enough to factor into my decision tbh. We are planning 2 days at MK, 1 EPCOT and 1 HS. Then a down day for the pool and Disney Springs or Boardwalk. I know the convenience of the Contemporary but also want to feel like I’m on vacation and not detached from Disney being in the back of the resort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

We have stayed at both BC and CR (tower and garden wing) and like them both for different reasons. Whenever we pick a resort for an upcoming trip, I always look at where we want to go and what we want to accomplish and then pick the resort that will be most convenient and will fulfill our needs the most for our trip. Simply based on your plans, I would pick BC. Proximity to the parks you want to visit is pretty equal between your choices (2 days at MK - CR is closest. 2 days EP/DHS - BC is the closest). But when you add a pool day and a night on the Boardwalk into the mix, BC becomes my vote. The CR pool is in desperate need of a refurb and you will, obviously, have much easier access to the Boardwalk as you can walk right over from BC. The EP resort area is so much more lively than CR and much more fun, IMHO. You may also want to consider BWI as the resort is lovely and the pool is a little more conducive to younger children, IMHO.

I’d vote for the BC. We’ve stayed there a few times and totally love the resort. The whole Boardwalk area has a great vibe and definitely makes you feel like you are on a Disney vacation. I love being able to walk to two parks and SAB is fantastic!

I’ve never stayed at the Contemporary, but I have stayed at BLT, and it’s just not for us. Staying at BLT, you can visit the pool at the Contemporary (but Contemporary guests cannot visit the BLT pool). We didn’t like the Contemporary pool at all. I don’t know, I just feel like a theme is lacking at the Contemporary. The lobby (or floor with Chef Mickey’s) always seems so chaotic to me. It’s just not relaxing to me. Even with the ability to walk to the MK, I’d still pick the BC.

While I have not stayed at BC before, I have stayed in the Garden Wing of the CR. We loved our experience there! The GW is only a 2 minute walk to the Contempo Cafe inside the CR. It was easy peasy to walk in the am to get coffee as we were getting up. Plus, the whole area of the GW is peaceful and quiet...away from the hustle and bustle of the main tower. We watched the Electric Parade float by at night, which was so fun. We loved walking to the MK and taking the monorail to Epcot. Our room was spacious and had three sleep surfaces, and the bathroom is set up wonderfully for a family. One person could go potty in private, while another showers, and a third can quickly brush teeth with ease. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

I would do a split stay, 3 nights in the GW at CR and 3 nights at the BC. Do your MK days and DS while at the CR and do your DHS , EPCOT and pool while at the BC.

I love BC/YC. I'll always recommend those. You can walk to EPCOT...and for me, that's pretty much the best amenity ever. :love: But beyond that, you have that entire cluster of EPCOT resorts also within easy walking distance, you basically have a mini water park, and i just really like the look & feel of YC/BC as well. :)

While I have not stayed at BC before, I have stayed in the Garden Wing of the CR. We loved our experience there! The GW is only a 2 minute walk to the Contempo Cafe inside the CR. It was easy peasy to walk in the am to get coffee as we were getting up. Plus, the whole area of the GW is peaceful and quiet...away from the hustle and bustle of the main tower. We watched the Electric Parade float by at night, which was so fun. We loved walking to the MK and taking the monorail to Epcot. Our room was spacious and had three sleep surfaces, and the bathroom is set up wonderfully for a family. One person could go potty in private, while another showers, and a third can quickly brush teeth with ease. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Just wanted to chime in and mirror this report. I haven't stayed at the BC yet (it's on my list). I've stayed at the CR twice: once in the tower as a child and then in the Garden Wing. LOVED the Garden Wing. So quiet, so convenient to my car (if you won't have a car with you, not a factor). The walk to the main building was easy. I never felt like I was shoved back in the resort somewhere.

As others have said, *nothing* is going to compare to the pool area at BC. But, last year when I was at the CR pool (I was sitting at the quiet pool looking over at the the pool most of the kids were using), I saw that the pool attendant CMs were actively involved in having a good time with the kids. They had them out doing line dancing type things on the side of the pool and just having fun. I saw that every day. But, yeah, it won't come close to Stormalong Bay.

The rooms at the CR are really roomy and you will probably appreciate that. Honestly, if a split stay isn't too much of a hassle, I might try that. Stay at CR on your MK days and then go over to BC for the pool day and other stuff.

If the 10 and 7 year olds are independent swimmers, then I'd go with Beach Club. Stormalong Bay is the most amazing pool complex, and it's entrances are well-manned by CMs who keep crashers out.

However, SAB is a sprawling complex with some deep water areas (the slow-moving lazy river, in particular), so if you feel like you personally have to watch them whenever they're in the water despite the presence of lifeguards, then I recommend the Contemporary, which has a much smaller pool area.

But if they're competant & confident enough to swim indepedently under lifeguard supervision while you play with the 4 year-old (lots of good spots for this at SAB), or if you're happy to split duties so that one of you is always swimming with the older kids, then I recommend Beach Club.

I've stayed at both Beach Club and CR Garden Wing, and the rooms are nice at each resort, both resorts have character dining available, and both resorts are within walking distance to 2 days of your scheduled park visits (although the walk to HS from BC is on the long side). So aside from the pools, price and your theming preference, it's kind of a draw between the two.

Last edited:
I love the CR - love everything about the CR. I especially love being able to walk to the MK and being on the monorail - easy to get to other resorts to eat or look around. I have stayed wing and tower at CR and both are wonderful. I've also stayed at the BC and it's very nice as well. I've visited the BW area a few times and it holds zero appeal to me - lol! Disney Springs is way better. I like being able to walk to Epcot but DHS was too far a walk for me. You really can't go wrong I think...but the biggest considerations (IMHO) is do you want Stormalong Bay and how do you feeling about the theming at both? I like taking the walkway from the CR to the MK and going through security there - I think you don't have to wait in the longer security lines at the park (?) but I can't remember. I feel like I'm practically in the MK when I'm at the CR - obviously I'd go there but either way those are 2 great choices.

I would vote for a split stay if possible because both resorts are terrific. The CR will always be my sentimental favorite. We stayed there briefly in April and were blessed with perfect weather. Looking out at the Castle from our room is a thrill that never gets old. But you can’t go wrong with either resort.

I debated a split stay but was worried we would waste so much time re packing, checking in, etc that it wouldn’t be worth it. With 3 kids and smaller rooms we generally unpack everything, fill the drawers and stuff the suitcases in the closet till we leave.

What are your thoughts on Poly? I just had that priced out and it slightly more than BC but not by a lot at all. I always thought it was so much more expensive that I never looked into it.

I'm just going to say this - even as a kid in the early 80's, I remember staying in the Garden Wing and wishing I was in the tower. I vowed never to stay at CR again until we could afford a Theme Park View Tower Room. We still haven't stayed there. :rotfl:

We absolutely love Yacht/Beach Club.
I couldn’t agree more. It was one of our sadder trips especially since my mom had no idea that was what she booked (or so she said)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter