Becoming an Independent Disney Travel Agent

rachel09985

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I am seriously contemplating becoming an independent disney travel agent specializing in WDW as a side job, I have a regular 8-5 M-F job.

Does anyone have any information regarding these types of companies where you can just become an agent even with no experience? I will get 60% of commission, they take 40% and I am responsible for getting clients, which I am up to the challenge.

i just want to know if there is anything I should be aware of before I agree to do this?

Thanks for your help! This would be a huge risk, but I know it would be fun and I love helping people plan so why not get paid something to do it!

Contact your local AAA. They have a program where you could sell Disney Vacations through them with no experience and they train you and certify you with the expectation that you will maintain a minimum of $25,000 in yearly sales.

Contact your local AAA. They have a program where you could sell Disney Vacations through them with no experience and they train you and certify you with the expectation that you will maintain a minimum of $25,000 in yearly sales.

Thanks but what happens if I didn't meet the $25K?

I am also very intersted in this !!! any info would be greatly appreciated :)

JMHO you cannot be an agent part time unless your clients can still be able to reach you at all times. Remember you will be responsible for your clients vacations, and need to be available for any disasters that may come up.

For example, if the recent hurricane Isaac would have headed to central FL, your phone would have been ringing off the hook all day long for advice on cancellations, etc. for anyone you had booked. Will you have someone to cover for you during the day? You will have a lot of irate clients if all they can reach is a voice mail message until you come home after 5.

Money wise, say for example you sold a $3000 package. At 60/40, using 10% commission just as an example, the agency will get $180 and you will get $120 AFTER the client stays (depending on how far in advance the booking is you might be waiting a very long time for any $$$). How much time will you be spending on that client? What if they cancel or find another deal with someone else and you get zilch after all your efforts?

You must carry a good E&O (Errors & Omissions) insurance policy to cover yourself in case of any booking errors you make in behalf of your client - or who says you did, and who then sues you.

Re the minimum sales amounts required - you have to meet quotas to receive any benefits, otherwise anyone could claim they are "travel agents". $25000 year in sales at 10% commission = $2500 total is only $1500 for the agency (60%) and $1000 for you (40%). Are you willing to work a year to sell $25,000 in sales just to make $1000 for the year?

Sorry this is such a downer post, but I want to make sure you think this through on all fronts, not just the sounds like lots of fun part. ;)

JMHO you cannot be an agent part time unless your clients can still be able to reach you at all times. Remember you will be responsible for your clients vacations, and need to be available for any disasters that may come up.

For example, if the recent hurricane Isaac would have headed to central FL, your phone would have been ringing off the hook all day long for advice on cancellations, etc. for anyone you had booked. Will you have someone to cover for you during the day? You will have a lot of irate clients if all they can reach is a voice mail message until you come home after 5.

Money wise, say for example you sold a $3000 package. At 60/40, using 10% commission just as an example, the agency will get $180 and you will get $120 AFTER the client stays (depending on how far in advance the booking is you might be waiting a very long time for any $$$). How much time will you be spending on that client? What if they cancel or find another deal with someone else and you get zilch after all your efforts?

You must carry a good E&O (Errors & Omissions) insurance policy to cover yourself in case of any booking errors you make in behalf of your client - or who says you did, and who then sues you.

Re the minimum sales amounts required - you have to meet quotas to receive any benefits, otherwise anyone could claim they are "travel agents". $25000 year in sales at 10% commission = $2500 total is only $1500 for the agency (60%) and $1000 for you (40%). Are you willing to work a year to sell $25,000 in sales just to make $1000 for the year?

Sorry this is such a downer post, but I want to make sure you think this through on all fronts, not just the sounds like lots of fun part. ;)

thanks, I do appreciate the feedback! My clients would still be able to reach me during the day. I have a flexible job that allows me to take breaks if needed. I know it would be a lot of work for a little amount of money but at the same time if all I do all day after work is research disney things and plan my vacation then I might as well get paid something and help others out.

I did know about the E&O Insurance as well.

I know it is a lot to think about and is not something I will just jump into so thank you for your advice!:goodvibes It definitely does make me think.

I like your idea of becoming agent to such companies and getting paid for it but for that you have to be there always on duty to get the clients. It’s not easy task. Try to search for such companies who deal in this way on internet.

Excellent post. People get all starry-eyed when it comes to Disney but it can really be anything but. You can have people calling you at 2-3 a.m. because somethings not right and you have to fix it. It's almost like being a Doctor on call, although for a lot less money. Plus with so many others doing the exact same thing it's very hard to make any money at all. I too thought this was something I wanted to do a couple years ago but after I really researched everything that went into it I decided it wasn't for me.

If that is your passion, then go for it! My mom was an at home travel agent and she booked high end trips. Some of her clients stayed in $10,000 a night hotels and flew on the Concorde (when it was still in business). No one ever called her in the middle of the night and she did not have to be by her phone 24/7.

Excellent post. People get all starry-eyed when it comes to Disney but it can really be anything but. You can have people calling you at 2-3 a.m. because somethings not right and you have to fix it. It's almost like being a Doctor on call, although for a lot less money. Plus with so many others doing the exact same thing it's very hard to make any money at all. I too thought this was something I wanted to do a couple years ago but after I really researched everything that went into it I decided it wasn't for me.

I think many do it because they love Disney, and love helping others plan trips to Disney (many are already doing this service for free for friends and family). They are ok with the low compensation, because they DO get some travel agent perks. ;)

(I am not one, just my observation) Have fun if you choose to try it! :cool2:

I think many do it because they love Disney, and love helping others plan trips to Disney (many are already doing this service for free for friends and family). They are ok with the low compensation, because they DO get some travel agent perks. ;)

(I am not one, just my observation) Have fun if you choose to try it! :cool2:

There is a HUGE difference between helping your friends and family plan a trip, and planning a trip for a client. When you are a travel agent, you are responsible for your client's trip from the moment you begin working with them until after they return. If something goes wrong, they will turn to you, the agent, to fix it. They won't care what time it is or what you may be doing at that moment. I've never had people call me in the middle of the night, but I have had to drop everything to take care of clients when weather affected their plans.

I love being an agent and make decent money (I don't do just Disney because I make more money booking other destinations as well), but these questions that pop up weekly drive me crazy. It's not an easy job, no matter how easy planning your BFFs Disney trip was.

In addition to the booking trips, the new agent has to be able to put in time and money in marketing themselves. They need to invest time and money in continuing education, as well as make sure they understand how to set themselves up as a business.

It's just not that easy.

There is a HUGE difference between helping your friends and family plan a trip, and planning a trip for a client. When you are a travel agent, you are responsible for your client's trip from the moment you begin working with them until after they return. If something goes wrong, they will turn to you, the agent, to fix it. They won't care what time it is or what you may be doing at that moment. I've never had people call me in the middle of the night, but I have had to drop everything to take care of clients when weather affected their plans.

I love being an agent and make decent money (I don't do just Disney because I make more money booking other destinations as well), but these questions that pop up weekly drive me crazy. It's not an easy job, no matter how easy planning your BFFs Disney trip was.

In addition to the booking trips, the new agent has to be able to put in time and money in marketing themselves. They need to invest time and money in continuing education, as well as make sure they understand how to set themselves up as a business.

It's just not that easy.

No it's not. Plus, depending on who you work for, you may have to travel a lot. Can you're budget handle multiple trips to Disney/cruises/other locales since the travel agencies do not pay for those trips? One other thing to think about is when you spend time with someone telling them all about Disney and then have them turn around and book the trip themselves. This happens quite often and that is time and money that you've lost out on. While it does sound glamorous on the surface, there's quite a bit you really need to know and understand before taking the plunge and becoming a TA.

thanks, I do appreciate the feedback! My clients would still be able to reach me during the day. I have a flexible job that allows me to take breaks if needed.

Just a little more food for thought.

If you decide to go the TA route, you might double check with your company to make sure they would be comfortable using your breaktime like that. I know with my company, once and a while wouldn't be a problem - but if it ended up being twice a day every day, we'd look closer at the situation and start tracking break time very carefully. Also, you would probably want to bring your own laptop and make sure it's using your wireless connection and not your company's.

Good luck with your decision!!

I just wanted to add that just because you book a package and the total is 3000, does not mean you will get 3000 as your base to figure out your commission. package price includes tax and things are "commissioned" at different rates (some have no commission).

I have booked or planned trips for many, many family members and friends and every time they say "You should do this as a side job," thinking there is some untapped well of money out there that I am missing out on.

I did look into becoming an independent agent early last year but when I did all of that math, the amount of work necessary didn't seem equal to the amount I'd make. I was also nervous about planning as a business as opposed to planning for fun. If my cousin has a lousy time at Chef Mickey's on my recommendation, she might just be annoyed with me. If a paying client has that same experience, it is a totally different situation.

Having said all that, I know that it just wasn't for me but I know lots of people do make it work so best of luck to you, OP!

Great topic. I've been wondering the same thing.

And now, after reading everyones posts, it's not for me. I would not be willing to be at the beck and call of the clients...I have my own little family and we are always running around. And have family days every weekend.

I'm a travel agent, work from home...and LOVE this job. It has real flexibility and even though I am on call for my clients, most respect normal family boundries.

I know that attention to detail ahead of the trip reduces the number of calls I receive as well.

I know this thread was started a month ago, but if anyone has interest, I'd be willing to answer your questions.

I've been doing this for 7 years (started with someone else and now work for myself.) So I have some experience I'd be willing to share.

One of the things I like best is that other Disney Travel agents are a helpful bunch. There seems to be a philosophy that there are plenty of clients for everyone...most love Disney so much, they're willing to help other agents out. I love my other Disney TA friends! One such Travel Agent when talking with me said, "Follow Your Dreams and see where they lead." Wow am I thankful I took her advice.

Some of the responses are "downer" responses. And that's okay. This job isn't for everyone. However, I've been able to make REAL money for my family in a sales position -- I never thought I'd like a sales position. But really, it's more like a guide/teacher. I get to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for Disney with each client. In the end, I know more about resorts than I do touring the parks because THAT is what my clients NEED -- help choosing which of the resorts to stay at and a general schedule for a trip.

Our extra money pays for ballet and music lessons, basketball seasons, Disney trips, and so many dinners out that we wouldn't have enjoyed without it. AND I LOVE IT!

PM me if you'd like information.

It's just not that easy.

Yikes! That's a pretty big chip on your shoulder...

:rolleyes2

I've been looking into it lately also. I'm still doing a lot of research. Some companies seem better than others of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter