Becoming an Independent Disney Travel Agent

For those who only want to work with a full-time Disney-focused TA, I wonder how many of those agents actually exist.

Rough cowboy math here, but if the agency gets 10% of the booking and the TA gets 60% of that, you would have to make $100,000 of commissionable sales to pocket $6,000.

I have no idea what the "average" cost of a WDW trip is, but let's just say for the sake of argument that it's $5k for a family of four for a week. That would mean you'd have to book, on average, 20 vacations to make that $6,000. And that's IF the full $5k of the vacation is commissionable (and not a case where the clients bought their own food from Garden Grocer or picked up their tickets themselves from Undercover Tourist). If my $5k guesstimate is on the high side, it gets even worse. $3k? That's 33 vacations to make $6,000.

So if you wanted to do this full-time and make $50k/year, you'd have to book over $800k of fully-commissionable sales. That's over 160 vacations @ $5k and over 275 vacations @ $3k.

I cannot imagine the time, effort and money it would take to build up a sufficient sales pipeline to move that kind of tonnage, especially since you have to spend time on client questions, service issues and other hand-holding, as well as tire-kickers who waste your time. It really would have to be a labor of love because there sure are plenty of easier ways to earn $50k/year.

EDIT - wow, sorry for the necro. I found this thread via Google and didn't notice how old it was until after I posted.

Last edited:
I did this for 7 years. I absolutely LOVED it. However, the company I worked for was horrible at communication, even worse at paying it's agents and eventually I started referring my repeat clients to other agents I knew at different companies. I would have loved to help them plan their trips, but I was so _done_ dealing with my agency. I haven't booked for them for years and my info is still active and I've never received any phone call or email asking where I was, whether I was still working or anything.

When I first started I would get paid about a month after a trip. Then I started getting paid 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks after a trip. Every time I would call at 12 weeks and say "hey, could you check and see if my commission was mailed for X,Y & Z who traveled 3 months ago?" I would get the answer of "you'll get paid when Disney pays us." One time this went on for 6 months after I had several high commission trips. Usually after I called and got the standard answer, I would receive a check within a week. No phone call, no note, just a check.

The company would repeatedly change their internal policies and fail to send out emails to their home agents. The agents would do something by the old policy (thinking it still current) and then get a scathing phone call about the new protocol. I'm assuming the agents who worked in the agency at least knew about the policy changes. Several of us who went to onsite agent training together still talk, so I know it wasn't just me who was having difficulty getting paid or missing emails on policy changes. Many of us have moved to new agencies or quit altogether - and all without a word from the agency.

Be very careful about the agency you choose to work for. You don't want them to ruin what can be a wonderful experience for you.

This exact thing recently happened to a friend of mine. She won an award as top agent for 2014. Then earlier this year they started delaying her checks. They claimed Disney had not paid them. She contacted Disney and found out they had paid the agency. She called them out on it and they started a smear campaign against her. She quit and recently started her own agency.

I'm a travel agent, work from home...and LOVE this job. It has real flexibility and even though I am on call for my clients, most respect normal family boundries.

I know that attention to detail ahead of the trip reduces the number of calls I receive as well.

I know this thread was started a month ago, but if anyone has interest, I'd be willing to answer your questions.

I've been doing this for 7 years (started with someone else and now work for myself.) So I have some experience I'd be willing to share.

One of the things I like best is that other Disney Travel agents are a helpful bunch. There seems to be a philosophy that there are plenty of clients for everyone...most love Disney so much, they're willing to help other agents out. I love my other Disney TA friends! One such Travel Agent when talking with me said, "Follow Your Dreams and see where they lead." Wow am I thankful I took her advice.

Some of the responses are "downer" responses. And that's okay. This job isn't for everyone. However, I've been able to make REAL money for my family in a sales position -- I never thought I'd like a sales position. But really, it's more like a guide/teacher. I get to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for Disney with each client. In the end, I know more about resorts than I do touring the parks because THAT is what my clients NEED -- help choosing which of the resorts to stay at and a general schedule for a trip.

Our extra money pays for ballet and music lessons, basketball seasons, Disney trips, and so many dinners out that we wouldn't have enjoyed without it. AND I LOVE IT!

PM me if you'd like information.
Hi! I would love to talk to you more about your experience getting started as a Disney Travel agent. Please contact me if this is possible. Thanks!

I'm a travel agent, work from home...and LOVE this job. It has real flexibility and even though I am on call for my clients, most respect normal family boundries.

I know that attention to detail ahead of the trip reduces the number of calls I receive as well.

I know this thread was started a month ago, but if anyone has interest, I'd be willing to answer your questions.

I've been doing this for 7 years (started with someone else and now work for myself.) So I have some experience I'd be willing to share.

One of the things I like best is that other Disney Travel agents are a helpful bunch. There seems to be a philosophy that there are plenty of clients for everyone...most love Disney so much, they're willing to help other agents out. I love my other Disney TA friends! One such Travel Agent when talking with me said, "Follow Your Dreams and see where they lead." Wow am I thankful I took her advice.

Some of the responses are "downer" responses. And that's okay. This job isn't for everyone. However, I've been able to make REAL money for my family in a sales position -- I never thought I'd like a sales position. But really, it's more like a guide/teacher. I get to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for Disney with each client. In the end, I know more about resorts than I do touring the parks because THAT is what my clients NEED -- help choosing which of the resorts to stay at and a general schedule for a trip.

Our extra money pays for ballet and music lessons, basketball seasons, Disney trips, and so many dinners out that we wouldn't have enjoyed without it. AND I LOVE IT!

PM me if you'd like information.
I'd love info.... New to the forum, and can't figure out how to PM. Please advise.

In my opinion I would never hire a travel agent who is doing this "on the side". No way. My travel agent does this full time and I trust her because I know I can reach her at all times, and that this is her entire livelihood.

In my opinion I would never hire a travel agent who is doing this "on the side". No way. My travel agent does this full time and I trust her because I know I can reach her at all times, and that this is her entire livelihood.
I've worked with an amazing travel agent who is doing this, and going to school at the same time. It's not her primary focus, but she answers phone calls and texts 24/7, books fast passes in the opening window, and gives by far an amazing client experience. It's totally possible to do this as an extra....

I promise just because an agent does this on the side, their clients are no less important than anyone that books "full time". There are some that do this full time that don't pay as close attention to their clients as those that do it part time.

I saw this on another site. I wonder if they booked their airfare through DCL?

I promise just because an agent does this on the side, their clients are no less important than anyone that books "full time". There are some that do this full time that don't pay as close attention to their clients as those that do it part time.

I didn't say "less important". I said if they have this as their main job they are available during all hours of the work day.

I didn't say "less important". I said if they have this as their main job they are available during all hours of the work day.
Those that are TAs as a second job also answer all day but they also answer during the night and on weekends so if you have any emergency they will always be there. Like a lost wallet and the client doesn't know where to go, or a dining reservation they are about to miss at 8:30 pm, or their room doesn't have the crib they needed and the baby is sleepy at 10 pm. There's probably no one at the brick and mortar locations to help with these things unless you have their cell numbers.

Very interesting info here. My mom was considering doing this part time as she retires, but this seems rather more complex than we thought. Guess we'll just have to enjoy planning our own Disney trips!!

I'm at part time TA. It's a great side job for me as I book mostly for family and friends and friends of friends. If you love travel and don't mind putting in the time and research, it's great. I've never had a client call me in the middle of the night. I have spent hours on the phone with vendors (non Disney) but that's expected when things go wrong. Luckily for me me, that hasn't been often. It's a great side business and I work with an amazing host agency.

I'm at part time TA. It's a great side job for me as I book mostly for family and friends and friends of friends. If you love travel and don't mind putting in the time and research, it's great. I've never had a client call me in the middle of the night. I have spent hours on the phone with vendors (non Disney) but that's expected when things go wrong. Luckily for me me, that hasn't been often. It's a great side business and I work with an amazing host agency.

I have spent the last 20 years thinking that this is what I want to do when I retire (in two years), but from talking to people at AAA and other agencies, they won't hire anyone without special schooling and training. Any suggestions?

I have spent the last 20 years thinking that this is what I want to do when I retire (in two years), but from talking to people at AAA and other agencies, they won't hire anyone without special schooling and training. Any suggestions?
My host agency is Dugans Travels. Look them up. I've been very happy since I started in 2011. Agents are considered independent contractors so you don't have to be "hired." As long as you're committed to soaking all travel knowledge you can and doing a lot of your own research, you shouldn't have a problem.

If someone could contact me about a great company to work for. I have been interested in doing this for some time now. I would like one that is honest to work for with good communication. I love to travel and write about it. Thanks.

Hi!

I am seriously contemplating becoming an independent disney travel agent specializing in WDW as a side job, I have a regular 8-5 M-F job.

Does anyone have any information regarding these types of companies where you can just become an agent even with no experience? I will get 60% of commission, they take 40% and I am responsible for getting clients, which I am up to the challenge.

i just want to know if there is anything I should be aware of before I agree to do this?

Thanks for your help! This would be a huge risk, but I know it would be fun and I love helping people plan so why not get paid something to do it!

Do you get paid for your dining reviews (I noticed it in your signature block) if so, how do you go about doing that? Even just getting your meal comped in exchange for providing a review..

Do you get paid for your dining reviews (I noticed it in your signature block) if so, how do you go about doing that? Even just getting your meal comped in exchange for providing a review..

No, lol! I wish though! It is just for fun :)

I own an agency and started PT. While its easier now that I have my own and I'm FT, my most successful agents actually work "normal" jobs full time. It's not all sunshine and roses, but if it's your dream, go for it. Find an agency who fits you and where you will fit. So many just add anyone and I've learned from personal experience that you really want to get to know at least the owner during the process. That takes more than one app and them saying you're hired. I love mentoring new agents, even those that don't work for me so feel free to pm me if you have questions.

I own an agency and started PT. While its easier now that I have my own and I'm FT, my most successful agents actually work "normal" jobs full time. It's not all sunshine and roses, but if it's your dream, go for it. Find an agency who fits you and where you will fit. So many just add anyone and I've learned from personal experience that you really want to get to know at least the owner during the process. That takes more than one app and them saying you're hired. I love mentoring new agents, even those that don't work for me so feel free to pm me if you have questions.

The two places I contacted, AAA included, said I would not qualify because I have no schooling or experience and they were not willing to "train" me just because I love to plan travel :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter