Bed Bugs at the Polynesian =(

It's good to be pro-active, and investigate. Good housekeepers are on the look out, and hotels genuinely care about the issue, as it can wreck their business.
Try not to obsess over it though.
I travel a lot with cloth suitcases. I typically get about 60,000 air miles a year, and spend a lot of time in hotels of various quality. I've yet to encounter a bed bug. I'm sure I've just jinxed myself.

So be proactive, but try not to let it get into your head.

You have a better chance of getting upgraded to club level after reserving a value room than you do of getting bed bugs.

She said the hotel confirmed the room had bed bugs
Unless they confirmed the bed bugs before they entered the room, it is always possible that they were brought in with luggage. The bugs come from someplace. They don't just show up. They hitchhike on stuff brought into the room.

Unless they confirmed the bed bugs before they entered the room, it is always possible that they were brought in with luggage. The bugs come from someplace. They don't just show up. They hitchhike on stuff brought into the room.
You would not have an infestation in that amount of time. It takes ten days for eggs to even hatch. For poly staff to report that there were bedbugs, the bugs were probably introduced more than a month earlier. And if Disney offered some compensation/help with home inspection, the infestation was probably pretty established and significant.

Great to hear that Disney is helping you out with the problem. As they are helping you in home infestation and you have a toddler with you. You should ask them to call that professionals like CT Pest Exterminators, Exterminator Branford CT, Exterminator Brookfield CT, Exterminator Millford CT that will use eco-friendly chemical solutions that will not harm your toddler son as well. Some pest control company uses harmful chemicals that can harm you as your family. So do check for this first.

Hi all. We were at the Polynesian from January 6-11th in room 3219.
Had a great time but thought that some Floridian bug was in love with me!! Upon coming home it turned out that I had hundreds of bed bug bites. My husband has some and thankfully our toddler son was ok (in a pack and play)
I emailed as soon as we realized what it was and they started a claim for us. We heard back from them and they sent in a dog and did find bed bugs. We had our home checked and thankfully we didn't bring them home. Disney is paying for our home inspection and money for luggage etc.
I'm happy they were so nice about it but it's just a reminder that even a really nice place can still have these nasty creatures.
They mess with your mind wondering if you have them in your home!
Check your mattress in a hotel friends!
I had a similar experience. So I feel your pain, its very stressful and does suck. I checked into AS Music...my first night i go to bed of course, next morning i wake up and shower...i come out of the shower to find a bug on my sheets. I thought it was a random little bug, so i take a pic of it. I thought this was a great way for me to switch resorts as I really REALLY didnt like AS Music at all. It was awful. I love values and actually very much like all the values, Music is the only one that i dislike for some reason. It looks so run down.

Anyway, i go to the front desk and show them a picture of the bug in hopes that it'll allow me to switch resorts. They said they'll investigate, in the meantime they tell me to carry on my day. So I go to MK and sure enough by the time i reached MK by bus, they call me on my cell. They confirmed my room has bed bugs. I was devastated. I never dealt with bed bugs before. I was able to get switched to Sports, which is one of my faves. So that was fine. But man, its not an ideal way to start my vacay. Not only that, I was stressed about bringing them home too.

Horrible experience i wouldn't wish upon anyone! But let me tell you, Disney handled the situation so well. I was incredibly impressed with them. They went to great lengths to make sure i was comfortable and taken care of.

They were really good about it though...they took in ALL of my belongings to be treated.

I am so disappointed. Got home from Poly and realized a few days ago I am getting bites every night. BB not confirmed but had the house treated as they suspect them. Called Dis to report and they didn’t want to take the report. I said they should check the room I stayed in and she said “it was so long ago I’m sure it’s been taken care of by now” and kept forwarding me to claims. We were in Fiji.

Interesting that this particular resort seems to have more issues than any other. Sad, because this had always been my dream resort, and after our trip this past August, it’s definitely tainted.

I am so disappointed. Got home from Poly and realized a few days ago I am getting bites every night. BB not confirmed but had the house treated as they suspect them. Called Dis to report and they didn’t want to take the report. I said they should check the room I stayed in and she said “it was so long ago I’m sure it’s been taken care of by now” and kept forwarding me to claims. We were in Fiji.
Did you notice any bites or anything while you were staying at the poly? Just curious if perhaps they somehow got in your luggage on the way home and maybe we're not in the room? I'm not questioning your experience at all I'm just curious.

Interesting that this particular resort seems to have more issues than any other. Sad, because this had always been my dream resort, and after our trip this past August, it’s definitely tainted.
Disney isn't going to let one of their premiere properties remain infested with bedbugs. You're probably safer there now than ever since a problem was identified.

It can be anywhere. We had a single hitchhiker come in on our garment bag from the terminal onto the Disney Fantasy. DCL handled it very well.

The bed bugs can live in in the nightstand, headboard or even the curtains. I work in the public health field and we had a nursing home with a room that was infested. They were living in the curtains. They can be at the waldorf Astoria, so it really isn't Disney's fault but they should be doing everything they are because they are liable.

I also had to get the inspection for peace of mind. I couldn't sleep. I had convinced myself they were on our bed and even our sofa. I steamed cleaned everything and washed every pillow, blanket, piece of clothing even after the inspection. You're already so itchy that it's hard to know there aren't new ones.

We flew to Orlando.

I also wish they could be more proactive since this is main takeaway from our vacation when it should have been about our son meeting Mickey etc! But they might not be as easy to spot as I imagine. Plus I know Mousekeeping does work very hard.

I didn't report it to Disney hoping for anything by the way, my immediate thought was about the next family using the room and what if they have kids that got bitten how awful that would be. When she called to let me know that they had found bugs she initiated offering to pay for our inspection and getting new luggage. I was surprised!!

Honestly, that is nice that Disney offered to pay for new luggage and your inspection but IMO they should of done more. You should of been compensated for any time missed from your vacation due to these bugs.

Whenever we get home from any vacation, I always leave the suitcases in the garage and unpack in loads, and they go right into the washer. (we also put the dirty clothes in garbage bags, separating the whites from the darks) I never bring anything from a trip inside the house until I absolutely have to. I figure the hot Minnesota summers will kill just about anything left in the garage, and then certainly the Minnesota winters will kill off anything that might be left. We even put the suitcases in large plastic bags to store them in the garage when not using them to keep them clean. However, I make it a rule when we enter a hotel room that nobody touches anything until I check out the bed, dressers, etc. I might be a germ-a-phobe, but we've never had an issue. And fingers crossed that we never will.

~D

OP or anyone else who had them in their room, - did you realize you were getting bit while there? Or only when you got home?

I check every hotel I go to, bring a flashlight, leave luggage in bathroom, check beds, headboard, in electrical sockets, in drawers, nightstand, etc, put dirty clothes in bags, never luggage on bed, never use the drawers, etc. Hate to have to enjoy my trip this way, but i don't want to bring bedbugs home.

What i don't get is, shouldn't they train housekeeping to look for this and report if they see this while cleaning rooms etc?

They would probably notice it if the bugs were in the bed. But they can be anywhere--in the drawers, carpet, even the luggage stand.

Can I ask which room number
As my bags are opened on my living room floor just returned from figi today

We stayed in Pago Pago in September and were getting really bit up, it was a week after the hurricane so we thought it might be mosquitoes. Most of the bites seemed to appear in the morning. I shouldn’t have read this thread because now I’m convinced it was bed bugs. I did check the mattress when we got there and didn’t see anything and nothing came home

I carrying a small bottle of Cedarcide which is a safe spray that the bugs are not resistant to. I spray the luggage to keep the critters off in hotels and on airplanes. It smells nice, like a cedar closet.

We got exposed to bed bugs in Vegas and still felt the bites when we got home. Fogging with Cedarcide ended the bites for good. We never had to throw anything out.

After doing a bed bug check, I will spritzer the sides of the mattress and headboard as extra insurance to keep the bugs at bay. In 2009, we discovered bed bugs half of all the hotel rooms we were assigned. Hotels have been doing a better job controlling the problem in recent years. I love it when I see new mattresses or better yet, beg bug covers on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter