Bedbugs? Yuck!

Mich Mouse

Poly Loving Disney Bride
Whats with all the talk of bedbugs? I've seen it discussed here more than once, and now I am wondering if our hotel will have them! Which resorts are having problems? (Ewww.....Gross!) We are staying at the Best Western Park Place Inn for one night before moving to the GCH. I will gladly move to another hotel if this is a skeevy place. Any reports of issues there that have been reported?

I had the same concerns when we recently stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn (October 13-15). We have stayed there several times over the years, and never had a run in with bed bugs, but I was really nervous since reading the recent reports on the boards. The rooms were gorgeous! They had kind of a polynesian feel, and were roomy and all redone in the last year. I checked out our mattresses right away and the box springs were wrapped in plastic and the mattresses fairly new. We saw no sign of bedbugs and are keeping our reservation for November.
I would check out your room upon check in, and if you aren't satisfied ask to be moved. It really is a great rate for the great luxury of how short a walk it is to the gate! Not worth bedbugs of course, but we had two adjoining rooms with 3 women in each for a girls trip and we were honestly thrilled with the renovations. I am bringing my husband and 3 of my kids back there in a few weeks. We will check out the rooms before we move in, but I think that I will always do that from now on since reading these boards.
There were reports of bed bugs being at Disney's Grand Californian also on here, and we are staying there over New Year's and I will be checking the beds there also before we unpack. Have a great trip! :sunny:

A bit OT - do you happen to have a photo of the new rooms? Would love to see what you mean by Poly feel. Thanks.

I do not know how to post pictures, but they have the refurbished rooms on the website. The bedspreads are kind of a floral type pattern, and the furniture and TV Console is all in a bamboo type style. It looks very nice. My friend and I had stayed at the Polynesian in WDW last summer, and we felt that these rooms reminded us a bit of that. Not exactly, but you get the idea. The ceilings were really high at this hotel and the vanity areas were nice and long, and very very nice looking.

Mich Mouse said:
Whats with all the talk of bedbugs? I've seen it discussed here more than once, and now I am wondering if our hotel will have them! Which resorts are having problems?
I have searched the web over the past several days, and the only recent incident I have found was apparently at the Marriott Fairfield Inn. A woman has filed suit against them for alleged bedbug bites suffered last August.

Since I don't have enough posts to put up a link, here's an excerpt of the NBC Channel 4 news report:

October 11, 2006 - A tourist from Mexico is suing the Fairfield Inn Marriott hotel in Anaheim, claiming she suffered 650 bedbug bites when she stayed there last August, it was reported Wednesday.

Eunice Juarez has traveled extensively throughout the United States and overseas, and said she saved for nine months for the August vacation, according to a televised news report.

She said she suffered the bedbug bites on Aug. 8, on the fourth night of the family's stay at the hotel at 1460 S. Harbor Blvd.

A representative of the hotel in Anaheim declined comment, but referred a reporter to corporate headquarters.

The company said in a statement, according to the broadcast report, that "nothing is more important to us than the welfare of our guests."

"We are aware of the situation of last August," the statement said. "Our employees helped the woman file a claim with the hotel and we also got her medical attention, all at the expense of the hotel." ....

The Orange County Health Department told NBC4 its tests came up negative for the bugs at the Anaheim Hotel involved in the lawsuit.

Although nothing has been proved about this case, I can certainly understand people's reluctance to stay at the Fairfield Inn. But I really think we need to guard ourselves from spreading rumors and speculating about other hotels and inns. We are in the process of creating an "urban legend" about rampant bedbug infestation at Disneyland!

FWIW, I have stayed at both the Park Vue and the Carousel Inn over the past couple of months and have not had any encounters with bedbugs at all.

Thank you for the responses. What do you check for to indicate the presence of bed bugs? Believe me, if I know what to look for, I will be looking closely!

It certainly isn't a rumor that this is becoming an increasing problem that can happen at ANY hotel or motel. Regardless of how clean and nice the rooms appear, or if they've recently remodeled or not.

Best thing to do, regardless of where you stay... is to check out the room. It only takes a few minutes. I know I do every time I stay at any hotel/motel. I've talked to a lot of people who don't seemed worried about it, and won't be checking their rooms. Hey that's fine, their business. Not a risk I'm going to take (or take home with me in my suit cases!).

Mich Mouse said:
Thank you for the responses. What do you check for to indicate the presence of bed bugs? Believe me, if I know what to look for, I will be looking closely!

There's a lot of info on the web on what exactly to look for, where, and even some pictures. But in general open up the beds (all of them) and look at the sheets and mattress (and under the mattress, boxspring) for either the bugs themselves or what they "shed". Look at the corners and edges of the mattresses. They will leave a rusty red color behind on the mattress and sometimes the sheets. Also look behind the headboard, they tend to hide back there. Other places you can give a quick glace at, behind picture frames, in lampshades and behind curtins. Looking for either the bugs (small brown and flat, fatter after they have fed) or the redish color they leave behind. It really only takes a few minutes, faster when two people do it together. Completely worth knowing I won't be ate up while I sleep or take these things home with me! They are NOT easy to get rid of if you do! Nothing to freak out about and cancel trips over, but a few minutes of checking makes all the difference IMO. Good luck, and hope that helps!

FWIW, I have stayed at both the Park Vue and the Carousel Inn over the past couple of months and have not had any encounters with bedbugs at all.

We have heard so many rumers about park vue, what was your honest opinion.
We are just average folks who want a clean room with a friendly staff. Nothing fancy. Clean & affordable.

What did you think of the place?

tirby said:
We have heard so many rumers about park vue, what was your honest opinion.
We are just average folks who want a clean room with a friendly staff. Nothing fancy. Clean & affordable.

What did you think of the place?
I have actually stayed at the Park Vue twice in recent months. The first time was on a Wednesday in June; the second on a Thursday at the end of September. I considered staying there a third time a couple weeks ago, but they didn't have availability in my price range, so I ended up at the Carousel Inn instead.

The Park Vue was perfectly fine. Your description is apt: "Nothing fancy. Clean & affordable." The staff I encountered on both occasions was very pleasant and accomodating (far more so than I found at the Carousel Inn). The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, and I slept well (which is basically all I was asking for). The continental breakfast is mediocre, but I didn't really expect it to be otherwise.

My stays at the Inn were actually very brief. Both times I arrived late at night, checked out early the next morning, and spent the rest of the day in the Parks. (The Park Vue permitted me to keep my car on their lot for the entire day, even though I had officially checked out. This was a major selling point for me, as other places want you to leave by mid-afternoon.)

Does the Park Vue have my undying loyalty? No.
Would I have a problem staying there again? Not at all.

Little Wooden Head
Thanks for the opinion. I agree I just need a good place to sleep. We will be at the park 90% of the time so nothing fancy needed. And Breakfast...Well if I want a better breakfast I can just bring beagles and cream cheese.
Thank you
and I WILL enjoy my trip

My H and I are staying at the Best Western Anahiem Inn this Dec and even though there have been no reports of bed bugs at this hotel I told my H that we are packing a flash light so when we check in we can check for bed bugs. He kindda laughed it off but I told him that he will be helping me inspect the room so I can sleep a night. so he finally said he would because he knows how worried I am about it and wants us to have a good trip. As far as I'm concerned it's worth the piece of mind you'll have a night knowing you won't be eaten alive :scared: so to speak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter