Been watching MASH

Hawkeye also made reference in the first season to 'Mom' and 'Sis' in a letter home. Later, he was an only child with a single father and mother who had passed when he was young.

Good catch! I’m not sure I realized that; sure don’t remember it.

He was my favorite - was a little surprised nobody mentioned him previously (unless I missed it).

Edit: was Radar the only part played by the same actor in the film AND the series?

I believe so...ETA: looks like it from IMDB...

My husband and I have been re-watching the series this year - I think it's on some channel late and night and he dvrs it and then we watch it...I hadn't watched it in years but it definitely holds up for me, both as a comedy and a drama.

Last edited:
He was my favorite - was a little surprised nobody mentioned him previously (unless I missed it).

Edit: was Radar the only part played by the same actor in the film AND the series?

I thought an article I read years ago listed some other people who appeared in both the film and tv show, but I think Burghoff was the only main character/regular to be in both.

I thought an article I read years ago listed some other people who appeared in both the film and tv show, but I think Burghoff was the only main character/regular to be in both.
There was one other guy. He played a General or something but was only in a couple of episodes.

While I agree that Col. Potter and BJ were better men than their predecessors, the early MASH years were the funniest ones on the show

While I agree that Col. Potter and BJ were better men than their predecessors, the early MASH years were the funniest ones on the show

I was watching last night. One channel had several of the earlier episodes on and another ran the later ones. I thought about this thread.

Seems like to me, the earlier ones were more comedy with dramatic scenes and the later ones were more drama with comedy.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere Alan Alda had something to do with the change in the show.

One of the episodes last night was the one with Dr who came to help out while Potter and Charles had the mumps and the dr losing it during surgery. It so seamlessly went from the comedy with Potter and Charles to the seriousness of how the war effected this young dr. IMO, this was the beauty of MASH. Made it seem so real, to me anyway.

If you like podcasts and blogs I have been reading/listening to the blog and podcast titled By Ken Levine. He is a writer who with his writing partner wrote many episodes of MASH, Cheers, Frasier, and many other shows. I like his podcast because he keeps them short usually all around 30 min. and he does occasionally talk about what went on behind the scenes on his blog.

I love MASH. I am watching an episode right now. My favorite character, after Hawkeye, is Radar. Also love Col. Potter.

One of my favorite episodes is the one where the families get together in NY. BJ’s wife plans the party and at first he thinks nobody will want to attend. Of course, all of the family members are eager and excited to do this. The party is a huge success and even Winchester’s parents bond with Radar’s Mom and Uncle. Always one of my favorites for some reason.

image.jpeg
Right? I never saw MASH in first-run, so when I was watching old episodes and saw him as the loony general I was rolling on the floor laughing since I'd only known him as Col Potter.

General Steele: (to Klinger) "Not now, Marjorie, I'm inspecting the troops."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter