Before Xmas or after New Year's?

SugarSweetLee

Mouseketeer
We're debating pros & cons to visiting either Dec 18-25 or Jan 2-9.

Which would you pick? Which do you think will be busier? If after New Year's is quieter, is it worth the trade off for no holiday stuff?

I’d guess the week leading up to Christmas will be more crowded if New Years fireworks don’t come back. I’d still prefer to go during December for Christmas decorations though, even if it is more crowded. I always find the first week of January a bit depressing.

I love the month of January at Disney. We go multiple times in January each year. The Christmas decorations are normally up for at least the first week of January. The Art festival at Epcot is amazing (if they do that this year). But we’re also semi-local, so it’s easy for us to pop over for a couple nights almost every week in January.

If you qualify for the Southern State 'Magic Is Here' room offer, December is likely less expensive staying onsite. I am biased - we are going before Christmas.

I love the month of January at Disney. We go multiple times in January each year. The Christmas decorations are normally up for at least the first week of January. The Art festival at Epcot is amazing (if they do that this year). But we’re also semi-local, so it’s easy for us to pop over for a couple nights almost every week in January.
We did the Arts festival 2 years ago and loved it, but I think that usually starts around MLK day which is too late for our available schedule.

If you qualify for the Southern State 'Magic Is Here' room offer, December is likely less expensive staying onsite. I am biased - we are going before Christmas.
We got a decent rate at Pop booked for December now, but I was wondering if any better discounts would be released for January that would really make it worth our while to switch. Hmm...

I'm also wondering if the decorations won't be gone faster this year. Something they said in the announcements about what the holiday plans are this year are seemed to imply that to me...

We would be looking at the week immediately following New Year's, starting Jan 2. Same case?
Not in my experience. Holiday crowds are usually still around the first week of January. We typically check out on the 6th or 7th. But who really knows about this year. The first week of January could be completely dead. Only time will tell.

I'm also wondering if the decorations won't be gone faster this year. Something they said in the announcements about what the holiday plans are this year are seemed to imply that to me...
The announcement was that the holiday events only run through 12/30, which is only a few days earlier than normal, but I bet the decorations will still be left up. It doesn’t cost them anything to leave the decorations up through the first week of January.

I'm pretty sure I saw something that the decorations would only be up until 12/30. I'll have to see if I can find it again. I was particularly interested because we're going right after Christmas (actually arriving on Christmas).

The announcement was that the holiday events only run through 12/30, which is only a few days earlier than normal, but I bet the decorations will still be left up. It doesn’t cost them anything to leave the decorations up through the first week of January.

Maybe that's what it was that I saw. I thought it would be rather hasty of them to take the holiday decorations down right on 12/30. I mean what would it hurt to leave them up? It would maybe encourage holiday visitors to spread their trips out a little more.

I'm usually there every year in December and January, etc. and they do keep the decorations up for a week or so after the New Year. I don't know about this coming January but each year that month gets busier because of the Run Disney which is usually around the 8th and they have the Festival of the Arts at Epcot so flip a coin. If you want the whole Christmas celebration pick the second week in December. :)

I'm usually there every year in December and January, etc. and they do keep the decorations up for a week or so after the New Year. I don't know about this coming January but each year that month gets busier because of the Run Disney which is usually around the 8th and they have the Festival of the Arts at Epcot so flip a coin. If you want the whole Christmas celebration pick the second week in December. :)

Wish we could go earlier in Dec but fiance has school/exams through 12/18!

I believe when Disney references 12/30, it is to set the expectation that Christmas Decorations will not be expected to be part of your experience. That is not to say you won't see them up in various areas, but work will most likely start to remove them based upon whatever resource schedule they have in place to pack them all away until next year and reset the park theme to 2021 event cycle.

We've been there Xmas through New Year's before. 12/30 coincides when they usually change over the fireworks schedule to New Year's (MK would run NYE fireworks the night before as well as NYE). I doubt Christmas decorations will be removed before the first week of January.

edited to add: Although no fireworks now, they might be including it in their long range planning in case they return.

All I can base it on is my own experience but in doing that, I would say before Christmas for sure. Up until Christmas Day we found crowds reasonable (week between Xmas & NYE is a nightmare though) but in January we experienced some of the highest crowds we’ve ever seen (hello random 10/10 Epcot day). Plus the holiday season at wdw just can’t be beat!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!