Bench removal?

Plus I just saw that they actually ADDED benches in front of HM?
If I understand the situation right they did add benches by HM, but the benches replace something else (a planter or wall or something) which provided more seating. So it's a net loss on available seating. I haven't checked it out for myself, that's just what I heard.

After this upcoming trip we don't plan to be back for a couple years (enough time to figure out the crowd patterns and strategies with respect to Star Wars). I do want to keep an eye on this issue though, because I have foot issues which I manage by taking lots of breaks, and sometimes I have to sit down on pretty short notice when the pain gets suddenly worse. So far even on extremely busy days I've usually been able to find somewhere to sit as long as I'm not picky. If seating ends up being hard to come by, I'll have to be sure to rent a wheelchair on busy days or be prepared to sit on the ground if it comes down to it.

Ugh, this is too bad. And this quote from the article:
"To compensate for the loss of benches, Disneyland is reportedly adding more seating. Some of that additional seating is available inside restaurants, according to MovieWeb. For example, The Bengal BBQ restaurant, which is located in Adventureland, has expanded from 30 outdoor seats to 100" is just plain stupid IMO. Do you think they added seating in Bengal BBQ for people to just come in and sit down? It's obviously for diners, and it was sorely needed. I think it would be great to have dedicated seating for tired people...oh, wait. They do (or did). Benches!!

Ugh, this is too bad. And this quote from the article:
"To compensate for the loss of benches, Disneyland is reportedly adding more seating. Some of that additional seating is available inside restaurants, according to MovieWeb. For example, The Bengal BBQ restaurant, which is located in Adventureland, has expanded from 30 outdoor seats to 100" is just plain stupid IMO. Do you think they added seating in Bengal BBQ for people to just come in and sit down? It's obviously for diners, and it was sorely needed. I think it would be great to have dedicated seating for tired people...oh, wait. They do (or did). Benches!!
Imho that was the stupidest comparison. The author is completely manipulating the Bengal BBQ went from walk up to QS to price their point. Disney turned it into a sorely needed QS for Adventureland, and QS places are the easiest way to take time off your feet at DL & get a little break from the crowds.

The great part about DL, imho, is due to how close everything is there is always a QS nearby. And if we’re not talking Xmas or the peak of lunch/dinner there’s always room to plop the fam down for a quick rest if need be. Rose Tavern FL. French Market NOS. The name escapes me but that place where they had Jedi Training in TL... the list goes on. All of those QS places are accessible for just sitting- even if it feels a little off since we have been trained socially that you don’t just lull about without purchasing something at restaurant. So, it’s an adjustment to thinking- at least for me and I think because it’s Disneyland and the rules of life are just a bit different there anyway it seems to work :)

Alas, the atmosphere is not as nice as a bench in the hub but if crowds really pump in the future a bench in the hub is going to suck anyway. While I mourn the ability to just sit out on a bench and soak it in if it saves me from being run over by another $&$?!$@! stroller/ECV/person just walking it really is something I should be grateful for. Things change, even at my beloved DL, so I try to look for the best when they do :)

Last edited:
I believe they are making adjustments to allow for better flow and more room on the walkways. The opening of Star Wars land (sorry I’ll always call it this lol) is going to make for lots of crowds
#truth It literally won’t have another commonly used name until the next generation (or 2!) comes because EVERYONE but the most dedicated fan right calls it Star Wars Land!

I think they are very aware that they cannot remove all the benches or place to take break hence why benches were added near HM after the planter was removed. Plus I will point out that if it’s the planter I’m thinking of, that area was previously used as a smoking area which didn’t make it an ideal spot to sit and relax unless you were a smoker....

I think they are very aware that they cannot remove all the benches or place to take break hence why benches were added near HM after the planter was removed. Plus I will point out that if it’s the planter I’m thinking of, that area was previously used as a smoking area which didn’t make it an ideal spot to sit and relax unless you were a smoker....

There was a smoking area that was by the water at the launch point for the rafts when the island was still closed. It's been not a smoking area for quite some time.

The planters removed were directly in front of HM. The smoking area very rarely had an effect on them thankfully.

You wouldn’t even notice. There are still benches and seating options all over the parks. They are just getting rid of areas that had a large footprint but didn’t offer much seating- like the big sculpted seating areas around the base of the people mover (that was always surrounded by strollers and not even used for sitting on) and the large planter seating in front of haunted mansion has been replaced with some traditional benches. It is not like you’ll be walking around the park all day lamenting that there are no benches to rest your feet, they’re still everywhere. And while the area next to the old motorboat ride is technically considered dining seating for the turkey leg & corn stand nearby, the reality is that area is all used as resting seating & they’re currently refurbing that area to make it even better. Despite how the traditional media would like to try to hype it up to sound dramatic to get views, you would have to be the kind of AP holder that goes many times a year and notices little things like paint shades charging over to notice the bench removal.

The way I am taking it is, (and this pertains to the planter in front of the HM), the benches can be easily moved, if need be. They are prepping for crushing crowds for Star Wars land (yes, I call it that too! ;)) I have been caught numerous times in insane crowds near the HM where I cannot even move and it was pure chaos, the couple of extra feet will hopefully help with that. I am assuming that they will have plans in place for crowd control when Star Wars land opens. Well, at least, I hope they do! :thumbsup2

You wouldn’t even notice. There are still benches and seating options all over the parks. They are just getting rid of areas that had a large footprint but didn’t offer much seating- like the big sculpted seating areas around the base of the people mover (that was always surrounded by strollers and not even used for sitting on) and the large planter seating in front of haunted mansion has been replaced with some traditional benches. It is not like you’ll be walking around the park all day lamenting that there are no benches to rest your feet, they’re still everywhere. And while the area next to the old motorboat ride is technically considered dining seating for the turkey leg & corn stand nearby, the reality is that area is all used as resting seating & they’re currently refurbing that area to make it even better. Despite how the traditional media would like to try to hype it up to sound dramatic to get views, you would have to be the kind of AP holder that goes many times a year and notices little things like paint shades charging over to notice the bench removal.
This is good to know! For some reason, I was thinking it meant that all the benches were going to be removed. Whew!

You'll get a better response in the Disneyland forum. This one is for WDW.

There are still plenty of places to sit down. This internet perpetuated idea that there aren't is complete nonsense. Main street is still lined with benches all around the hub during the day. Every CS restaurant has AMPLE outdoor seating that you are welcome to use even if you aren't eating. Off the top of my head: Jolly Holiday Bakery, Galactic Grill, Red Rockets Pizza Port, Bengal BBQ, Golden Horseshoe (indoors), Stage Door Cafe, Hungry Bear, Red Rose Tavern, French Market, Rancho del Zocalo, Toontown, Plaza Inn. All those have giant areas full of tables and chairs. There are smaller seating areas located throughout the park (benches, low walls, etc). I have NEVER needed to sit and been unable to find a spot to do so, even on the most crowded days.

DCA has even more places to sit. They are everywhere at that park!

Every CS restaurant has AMPLE outdoor seating that you are welcome to use even if you aren't eating.

I'm not sure who welcomes this, but it certainly isn't the people holding trays of food that are getting cold because they can't find a table. Count me in the group of people who thinks tables at restaurants are for eating, not sleeping or scrolling through Facebook or changing babies.

I'm not sure who welcomes this, but it certainly isn't the people holding trays of food that are getting cold because they can't find a table. Count me in the group of people who thinks tables at restaurants are for eating, not sleeping or scrolling through Facebook or changing babies.
Use your discretion. THERe are times the seating areas are empty. At prime dining time I hope people won’t Be taking up space. Once at Tomorrowland’s terrace a large family was having sandwiches at the table smack dab busy lunch time. It was frustrating.

... Once at Tomorrowland’s terrace a large family was having sandwiches at the table smack dab busy lunch time. It was frustrating.
Many people don't know that there is a picnic area, complete with lockers for storing coolers, for eating food/meals you have brought to the parks. There are tables, and the area is enclosed by hedges, so it is pretty secluded. It is off to the left when you exit the M&F tram drop off, heading toward the esplanade. I wish more people would use this area -- it is usually pretty empty when we walk by.

Last edited:
Many people don't know that there is a picnic area, complete with lockers for storing coolers, for eating food/meals you have brought to the parks. There are tables, and the area is enclosed by hedges, so it is pretty secluded. It is off to the left when you exit the M&F tram drop off, heading toward the esplanade. I wish more people would use this area -- it is usually pretty empty when we walk by.
Yeah I've been going to DL for at least once a year since 2002 and didn't know where the picnic area was until this past March..you can easily miss it. Plus, if you're all the way in Toontown and want to eat, I'm sure walking all the way out of the park, and to the picnic area is a huge deterrent to people wanting to use it.

One thing you notice at Magic Kingdom WDW is the do not have many trees in the firework viewing area in front of the castle. Looks somewhat blah, but you can see better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!