Benefits on doing the Disney College Program as a music major

TheRoyalGoofy

Earning My Ears
I am a music major (still deciding on either commercial music, music composition, vocal performance) who is interested in doing the Disney College Program. I am currently enrolled at a community college which won't delay my graduation year if I did it. Whenever I told someone about participating in the college program, I am always asked on how would it benefit me as a music major. Are there any benefits to doing the program that can help me in my career later on? Disney is one of the companies I hope to work for in the future. I heard that you can network with people from Disney, and I think there are imagineers who work in music for the company.

Probably none, CP of late has been more of a 'temp worker' program for Mousekeeping, Food and Beverage, Attractions and Resort Front desk help. Now a decade ago CP much closer to an internship program+PT Job package. Now it's more like being recruited into the Disney Army where the 'Needs of the Mouse' trump your desired role selection.

I'd look into the professional internship program instead as that has you working with professionals in your line of study and that's much more likely to lead to a Disney career if the stars align for you.

Are there any benefits to doing the program that can help me in my career later on?
Having Disney on your resume is an attention grabber, even if you didn't necessarily get to focus on your desired course. DD did the CP years ago, she told me that "Disney" always aroused some interest in interviews.

I am a music major (still deciding on either commercial music, music composition, vocal performance) who is interested in doing the Disney College Program. I am currently enrolled at a community college which won't delay my graduation year if I did it. Whenever I told someone about participating in the college program, I am always asked on how would it benefit me as a music major. Are there any benefits to doing the program that can help me in my career later on? Disney is one of the companies I hope to work for in the future. I heard that you can network with people from Disney, and I think there are imagineers who work in music for the company.

The main benefit to the program in your case would be, in my opinion, is that by being at WDW you have an opportunity to network and make contacts, even if you aren't in an entertainment related role. I did the college program way back when (2000). I didn't know I wanted to do after college so I didn't try networking. But I had friends in the program who were working in roles in almost every facet of the parks, including entertainment. I worked at Cosmic Ray's a quick service restaurant, but our managers told us that they encouraged us to take opportunities to shadow people in other roles, and offered to make any connections that they could.

Even now, my wife and I have relocated to Orlando as of last August. She had also done the college program when she was in college. She now works part time in merchandise. Its not her desired role, but it is a foot in the door. She has had good luck just reaching out to random cast members in roles that she is interested in and setting up times to meet and just sit down and pick their brains. It takes effort but I think you'll find that you could do the same thing. If you do apply and get accepted, I would start emailing people before you get there. One thing I have noticed, then and now, is that a lot of cast members really enjoy just talking to others about Disney.

As others have said, just having the program on your resume will be a conversation starter. After I completed the program, I applied for a job at a hotel in the city I was going to school. I met with the general manager, who immediately asked me about my time with Disney. I proudly answered his questions only to have him respond "I hate Disney". I can't remember his explanation as to why. But it was a conversation starter and I did get the job.

Good luck!

I imagine that if you are from a part of the country where not that many people are interested in working for Disney, then your resume could stand out with Disney on it. But if you are in central Florida, or Florida at all, I don't think it might make much difference.

Having Disney on your resume is an attention grabber, even if you didn't necessarily get to focus on your desired course.

That's very true!
DS was a music major in college, and is currently a freelance musician (well, unemployed at the moment) in NYC. He did the Disney All-American College Band at Disneyland one summer (I think they do it on both coasts now). So his experience at Disney was a little more specific to music than the CP. However, the Disney experience really teaches you how to act, how to dress very appropriately, and most importantly, how to deal with customers (guests). And as a music major, I do encourage you to look into the All-American College Band.

Probably none, CP of late has been more of a 'temp worker' program for Mousekeeping, Food and Beverage, Attractions and Resort Front desk help. Now a decade ago CP much closer to an internship program+PT Job package. Now it's more like being recruited into the Disney Army where the 'Needs of the Mouse' trump your desired role selection.

I'd look into the professional internship program instead as that has you working with professionals in your line of study and that's much more likely to lead to a Disney career if the stars align for you.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like you have much control over where you end up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!