• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bermuda cruise

gottaluvpooh

Mouseketeer
I absolutely love the Disney Cruises and everytime I am on the boards I can't wait to go back to the ship.
But we went to Bermuda for our honeymoon and was also thinking of taking a cruise there for an upcoming anniversary.

Disney does not offer one so I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone taken a cruise to Bermuda?
2. How does it rate next to the Disney cruise line?
3. What different cruise lines go to Bermuda and what are the pro's and con's of each?
4. Any information regarding dining, pools, fun etc would be helpful.

I am having a hard time deciding since I have only cruised Disney and each time I hate having to end my trip.
Thank you for any info you share.

I've never been on a Bermuda cruise, or been to Bermuda for that matter, but I've done a little research on it, so I can share what I've found.

Most of the Bermuda cruises sail from New York. There are a few from Philadelphia and Baltimore as well. It looks like Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Radisson, and Silversea all have Bermuda itineraries this summer/fall. Radisson and Silversea are out of my price range, so I don't know too much about them.

It appears that most of the ships which go to Bermuda are older (Celebrity's Horizon and Zenith, RCI's Nordic Empress, NCL's Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty), but Carnival has two of their newer ships, Pride and Legend there this fall.

They tend to be six or seven-night cruises. There's about a day and a half at sea to get there, so you usually arrive in the afternoon on the first day, and they leave mid-afternoon on the last day in port. Some change ports overnight, some stay at the same port for a few days.

I've never been on any of these classes of ships, so I can't give much info on the ships themselves, but hopefully this gets you started.

My wife went on a cruise to Bermuda, from New York, the summer before we got married. The one thing she remembers is that it was extremely rough. Glasses and plates sliding off the table, people very sea-sick, etc. She was on a ship that was a little smaller than the Magic or Wonder, but it probably had more to do with being in the Gulf Stream the majority of the time in both directions. That's why the first and last night on any cruise line's eastern itnerary is usually rougher than the other nights - you're crossing the Gulf Stream.

She swears she would never cruise to Bermuda again.

I cruised to Bermuda from New York City on Royal Caribbean and it was wonderful. I can see you live in North Jersey, so you would save on airfare. We cruised in September and it was right after a hurricane, so the seas were very rough and it was too cold to use the outdoor pools on the ship, but we were only at sea one day going down and one day coming back, so it was no big deal. The rest of the week, we were docked in Bermuda and it was fantastic. Bermuda is very expensive, so being able to eat and sleep on the ship was great. Plus not having to fly was a plus. You could probably take 2 cruises to Bermuda on RCCL for the cost of one Disney Cruise. I've cruised Disney 3 times and I loved all 3 cruises, but RCCL has beautiful ships, wonderful service and great food. I'll probably cruise to Bermuda again now that they are offering kids programs.

We are cruising this August on the Celebrity Zenith out of NY to Bermuda. This will be our first trip on a non-DCL ship and our first trip not taking the kids. For July and August, the prices are very comparable with DCL, if you can travel in early June or September/October, there are some very good deals being offered. We have friends who just returned last week on the same ship and they loved it. Said the food and service was excellent, the ship was in great shape and the Island absolutely beautiful. They did say the seas were a little rough coming and going. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to report back when we return.

My dh and I cruised on Royal Carribean's Nordic Empress out of NY in June of 2000. I have no compaints what so ever about RC. We had no problem with seasickness for we used the Patch. Bermuda is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. The food was fabulous, the service A-1, the ship was spotless. The only problem with the Island is that everything is so expensive, but what isn't when your on vacation. I highly recommend RC if you are looking into a Bermuda Cruise. We plan on going back some day :D

I cruised on Norwegian's Majesty in September 2001 (shortly after the terrorist attacks) and loved it! Bermuda is a beautiful island, very welcoming to tourists and easy to get around via public transportation. Yes the island is expensive but cruising means that you don't have to eat or sleep on island. Norwegian's ship is docked for almost 3 days in St. George and right across from the tourist office and a short walk to the public bus.

Our ship was out of Boston and the first night down was rough although I felt nauseas (sp) I never got sick and once to Bonine kicked it was fine. September is the tail end of the hurricane season so if you are prone to seasickness it's not a good time to sail.

I've never cruised RCCL so I can't give you information on their boats. Compared to DLC Norwegian is smaller and older but I did like the freestyle dining and the freedom to go to dinner early one night, late another. In terms of cost a seven night to Bermuda out of Boston is about $650 vs. $799 for inside cabin on DCL plus in my case airfare to Florida.

Seems what my friends are telling me may be true, that the seas are very rough out of NY. Was toying with Bermuda or Carnivals legend to Tortola and now RCCL Adventure is suppose to start next summer. Would love to try it as it convenient but it may not pay if you rock and roll till you get there.

What to do, What to do.

Joanna

Please don't get me wrong. The feeling was minimal and didn't take away from my enjoyment of both cruising and Bermuda.

Take your Bonine every morning and you'll be fine!

I agree with Auntie Bon. The cruise to Bermuda is well worth any seasickness you might experience and with the right medication, you don't have to suffer from seasickness at all. We left New York on a Sunday afternoon and woke up on Tuesday morning in St. George which is the quiter end of Bermuda. On Wednesday morning, we woke up in Hamilton which is the city side and stayed there until Friday afternoon. It's not as if you're at sea all week. It's kind of like bringing your hotel with you to Bermuda and it was wonderful. I wouldn't pass up the trip because of fear of seasickness.

Ahhhh, Bermuda! We went there on our honeymoon, 16 years ago! Wish we were going back! Have a Rum Swizzle for me! ENJOY!!

I love Bermuda, it is a clean, friendly and safe island. I cruised there last summer on the Pacific Princess, the original Love Boat and we had a blast. We will be sailing the Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda this august. Here is a list of the cruise ships, main stream, that have 7 day cruises to Bermuda, sailing round trip from NY.

Norwegian Crown - all three ports
Norwegian Majesty - stays in St George
Norwegian Sea - all three ports
Celebrity Zenith - St George and Hamilton
Celebrity Horizon - St George and Hamilton
Carnival Pride - Kings Wharf
RCCL Nordic Empress - Kings Wharf and Hamilton

I am not familiar with the NCL ships, but love the itin for the Sea and the crown. It is the itin I sailed last summer. I wouldn't sail any ship that stays in just one port, you would be spending a lot of time gettin around the island. I also wouldn't sail the Nordic Empress to Bermuda. I love the ship, but it spends to much time at the Wharf.

My preference is the Zenith or the Horizon. The Zenith has Hot Tubs, which is important to me. The Horizon is docked in Hamilton on Wens night, when they have a street fair, which is fun.

You might want to go to www.cruisecritic.com and do a search on the boards for these ships and for Bermuda. If you have any questions, I will keep an eye on this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from Lloyd Dobler:
It appears that most of the ships which go to Bermuda are older (Celebrity's Horizon and Zenith, RCI's Nordic Empress, NCL's Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty), but Carnival has two of their newer ships, Pride and Legend there this fall.
End Quote:

The reason the ships going to Bermuda are the older ships, is that they are the largest ships that can fit through the channels, going into Bermuda. The larger ships have to stay at Kings Wharf the whole time they are in Bermuda. Kings Wharf is in the middle of nowhere, it is nice to see, but not to stay at the whole week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
outahere - The ocean can be very rough or at times very smooth. You are sailing in the Atlantic Ocean, so you have to be prepared for rough seas. The glasses sliding off the table is not the norm, people getting seasick on the way there or back, is normal. If you take something for the seasickness ahead of time, you won't have any problems.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DawnL - when are you sailing, we are sailing on Aug 23.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who goes to Bermuda should buy a bus pass. It allows you to go all over the island by bus and by ferry.

sue

I really appreciate all your replies.
You are very helpful.
Please keep them coming.

As for questions... I do have a few.
Let me organize my thoughts and do some research and I'll get back to you on those.
Thanks

DawnL - We are sailing Aufust 23rd!! Will you be writing a review or if not at least post and tell us how you like it? If you have any questions about the Zenith or Bermuda let me know.

gottaluvpooh - I will be glad to answer any questions that I can. I have a lot of websites for Bermuda and I will try to post them soon.

sue

SJM - I will be happy to report as soon as we return. I know someone who was on the Zenith 2 weeks ago and they absolutely loved it - said the food was wonderful, and the ship was in great shape. My husband also works with someone who just returned this past Saturday, we are eagerly waiting for their update on excursions, etc. Will keep you updated!

DawnL - In Bermuda you don't really have to take any excursions, you can get around the island very easily on your own. There are always cabs available, but the best means of transportation is the bus pass, which is also good on the ferries.

Here is a link to a Zenith/Bermuda cruise from last summer. The guy who wrote it, always writes a good and accurate review:
http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycruisereview.asp?cruiseid=869

Also here is the link to a review I wrote last summer. Altho I sailed on the Pacific Princess, there is also Bermuda info there. http://www.seacruisereviews.com/bycruisereview.asp?cruiseid=849

sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter