Best age to start going to WDW?

It depends on the kid. I took DS when he was 3 for the first time. He did ok but he was still napping 3-4 solid hours from 12-4 pm. He was a VERY active kid and if he didn't get that sleep we would all pay. It was a PIA to sit in the room for 4 hours everyday and stop our day (we are midday break people but we do our breaks at the pool, not napping). He was also easily over stimulated. I think we only did one or two days in MK and then spent most of our time at the water parks.

We took him back when he was 8 and DD was 2. DD wasn't a napper anymore so we did midday breaks by the pool or no breaks at all since park hours were shorter that trip. She was much more relaxed and went with the flow. But I found doing the stroller, diaper bag, changing diapers in the park, etc. to be a pain too.

We've made more trips after when they were 9 and 3, 11 and 5, 15 and 9. If I could do it over again I would have taken each of them for the first time when they were 4.5-5.5 years old. No stroller, no diapers, no bags, etc.

We took our DGD when she was just two, and it worked out great. She was fascinated with IASW, but was scared of Dumbo (we never knew she was afraid of heights before).

Such a sweet picture!!! Same thing happened to us when DD was 2. We had no idea she was afraid of heights before that. She took one look at Dumbo pointed up at it and said "I'm not gonna ride him".

We went with our son the first time when he was 2.5 years old and it was perfect for us.

I frequently tell my mother when she’s sick of hearing me talk about Disney that she is partly responsible for my obsession since she has been taking me since I was 6 months old!

If it’s something that isn’t once in a lifetime I would definitely go the first time before 3rd bday while they are still free!

If it’s something that isn’t once in a lifetime I would definitely go the first time before 3rd bday while they are still free!

We did a "turning 3" trip for DD1 and are doing it again for DD2. You can "save" quite a bit that way because you have a 3-year-old's enjoyment and awareness, at 2yo prices! We are going to do some character meals and buffets where DD2 is still "free" because she eats as much as her 6.5 yo sister. So if you're thinking of a trip around that age anyway, a birthday trip around 3 is the best.

Between my 2 kids, we have taken them to WDW at the following ages:
in utero
3mo
4.5 mo
21-22 mo (with each kid)
about to turn 3 (with each kid)

We are afternoon break people, though DD1 never napped in the stroller and DD2 is an easy stroller napper, so we haven't taken as consistent afternoon breaks with DD2 as we did with DD1.

Very little babies are easy because you can just stick them in the carrier or stroller, throw some baby ear protection on and they are very portable. Starting around 2 was when our kids really enjoyed it. They were really able to let us know what they liked. If it's a once in a lifetime, or once in a long while trip, I would either do it just before 3 to save a little $, or wait until 4+ when you're sure that naps and diapers and meltdowns are mostly a thing of the past. Of course, all that goes out the window if you end up having more kids...

I enjoyed bringing our kids at all ages - the babies go with the flow and we were able to do a mostly pretty relaxed trip doing pretty much only what the adults wanted to do. ;) Once they get to be toddlers, they start having Opinions. And meltdowns. I think the 2-ish age was the worst as far as meltdowns. Our girls were potty training around then, but not reliable enough to NOT have to have all the backups in case there was an accident, so that was sort of annoying. By the time they are 4, the magic is in full force and I feel like the 4-10 years may be the best for the magical kid experiences.

Meant to add - we've been many times in the summer, and that's when my parents would always take us as kids. Yes it's hot, but just plan accordingly. Lots of water, lots of cool breaks. (We only go to Enchanted Tiki Room in the summer or during a [summer] downpour, lol.) There are cooling towels and gel ice packs you can use to help with the cooling down as well. Yes, you'll have to modify your park touring a bit but all it really takes is some common sense and preparation.

So far for us 4 was the best age. My daughters were 5 and 3 the first trip and they had a great time, when my 3 year old turned 4 and we went, she went crazy for the characters. She just was so excited the whole trip

I think it depends on how many times you can afford. Mine have gone multiple times as youngsters. My oldest vaguely remembers being there at almost 4, but my middle child went at 5 and doesn't remember much now that she's 8. Still, there's nothing like Disney Magic when you're a preschooler or younger. I think the experiences affect them even if they don't remember it. Our oldest went at 8 months for the first time, then we went with them at almost 4 and almost 1, then again at 6, 4, and 6 months, then again at barely 8, 5, and 3. Only my oldest really remembers much from our last trip three years ago. We had a great time every time. I will say I'd rather go when they're in diapers or completely diaper-free. It's the worst when they're potty training, and by all means if you go when they're potty training put them in a pull up all week and don't ever depend on them to make it to the toilet.

In March we took DS 12months, DNephew 18 Months and DNiece 5. First trip for all the kids.

The 5 year old was in heaven. If she had gone much younger she would have still been shy, but at 5 she continues to love princess stuff and was brave enough for lots of rides and went gaga for the characters. She was better behaved than at home.

The 18 month old did better than the 12 month old, but it was hard for both of them. We followed every piece of advice we got about the toddlers: afternoon nap breaks, following their lead etc and we stayed at BLT so we could easily get out of the park(s) fast when they hit the wall. But still we had tantrums, disturbed sleep, and sensory overload; honestly they did have fun, but maybe 1/3 of the time (another 1/3 they were checked out, and 1/3 was awful). The 18 month old was only truly blissful in the pool, he had his worst tantrum on the monorail! The 12 month old liked IASW and eating chicken nuggets, his worst meltdown was meeting Mickey at CM (worse than any other character meeting including Goofy who is way taller). I think the worst thing for the boys was wanting to walk and as a result being upset with too much time in strollers/carriers, but they're so small that they got bowled over in play areas and tired fast when they could safely walk.

Even though the grown ups will want to go back soon, we think the next trip will be when the boys are between 4-5 years old. Our niece will be 9 then and I bet she'll still love it.

My husband and I were talking about taking our first trip to Walt Disney World as a family. Current our son is 8 Months Old. We were wondering what is a good age to start taking a child to Disney. I know people go at all ages but I worry taking him too Young might be just too much for him. When did you guys start taking your little ones. What age worked the best?

My first Disney trip was when I was two (almost three) and my brother was only three months :)

I think it depends on the kids though. I nannied for two different families. First family the girls were 1 and 4. Kids didn’t have a set schedule, could nap anywhere, and weren’t picky eaters. Would totally take them anywhere and everywhere and not stress about it. Second family the girls were 1 and 2. Total opposite! Girls were on a strict schedule and could not nap unless it was totally dark and quiet. First set of kids would be easier to take on a vacation. Second set could manage but it would be A LOT of work. (Not to mention, the second set of kids would need to be back in the room for naps)

My twins went for the first time at three months. We are dvc and go at least three times per year. Sometimes five. It was no different than someone else taking their babies to the cottage.

I’ve always told my kids, “You go where I go.” Well I happen to really like going to Disney. So their ages never entered into the equation.

Every age and stage has brought its joys and challenges. I’d say the absolute toughest trip was when the twins were eighteen months. Old enough to walk, but still young enough to be unsteady and a potential danger to themselves. We spent a lot of that trip in quiet nooks in the Park, letting them walk around. They hated the stroller.

Undoubtedly, things got easier when we ditched the stroller when they were three and a half or four.

Our older child went when she was five, and she barely remembers the first trip. She does enjoy looking at the pictures.
We took our younger child when he was just shy of age 2, and he (now age 3) just spotted a pair of mouse ears on the computer and said "'Member when y'all take me derr? To Dinny Wirrd?"
Some remember. Some don't. Parents, however, never forget it. I have no regrets about either trip, and I'm looking forward to planning another.

My oldest two both went just before turning 3 (the last week or two they were 2). It was wonderful, but much easier with my first when we only had one. :) When we had a just shy of 3 and just shy of 5 year old it was a whole other experience, but still wonderful. This most recent trip was a girls only trip with the same two at just shy of 9 and 11 (we always seem to go right before their birthdays!). It was also amazing, very different. We left the 2 year old brother at home for a variety of reasons. There's no right or wrong age, for us since we don't get to go that often we didn't want to go younger than just about at 3. But we saw many newborns when we were there!

I am with a lot of people in saying that the first trip at age 2 (before they turn 3) is a great time. They know enough of what is going on that it is quite magical. Kids under 3 do not require a ticket or meal plan, so it is "free" as free can be.

If you are only planning to do it one time, then I would wait until the 5-7 age range!

If you want to go then I would just go. A baby won't get that much out of it, but traveling with a baby can sometimes be easier than a toddler. We first took my daughter at 14 months and she had fun going on the rides and seeing the characters. We are going in Feb when my son will be approx. 8 months.

In terms of rides, 4 is the best time. That's when you are allowed to go on almost all the rides: Splash mountain, Terror Tower, Soaring, Test Track! They don't have to be left out! You get the most for your money.

Otherwise, doesn't matter how old. I took my son when he was 9 months old plus his two brothers. I was the only adult, so I had to skip all the fun rides above in order to stay with the baby (Disney parks do not have babysitting centers.) I bought a special stroller (Thule Urban Glide) that, when folded, can be pulled with one hand while I hold the baby with the other hand so that I can carry both stroller and baby onto the bus. Most of the time, people offered me seats, but sometimes I stood when nobody offered. I brought a baby sling to tie the baby to me when I needed to stand, and it worked out nicely. We spent 3 weeks at WDW. We went to the parks, the water parks, Disney Springs, Boardwalk. We took the bus, the boats, the monorail and the taxi. We stayed at 4 hotels: Pop, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and ASmusic. (Disney hauls your luggage for you when moving resorts.)

We were stuck in the hotel for 2 days because of Irma, so we lost my son's Flight of Passage fastpass.

My baby loved Disney World. We went on rides such as Frozen, where there is this huge drop at the end. Didn't hurt a thing. He almost never cried when we were in a crowd such as on rides, on the buses. I planned to eat meals exactly when I needed to breastfeed him. We only went to buffet table service restaurants so that we don't have to wait for the food. You are allowed to take the stroller inside if the baby is sleeping.

My older kids went on the fast rides without me. I bought them disposable cell phones so that I could track their location or text them at all times.

My husband fell off the roof years ago and damaged his ankle. He cannot walk long distances, and he rather die than sit in a wheelchair/scooter, so he doesn't come with me to amusement parks. So, either I take the baby to WDW without another adult, or we don't go. I want to go!

Last year, baby was 1.5 years old when we went again. Worked out well again. I can't wait to go again this year! I also can't wait for the baby to turn 4 so that I can go on the fast rides again!

Last edited:
In terms of rides, 4 is the best time. That's when you are allowed to go on almost all the rides: Splash mountain, Terror Tower, Soaring, Test Track! They don't have to be left out! You get the most for your money.

Ride eligibility is based on height, not age. A short 4 year old may not be able to experience all of these rides, while a tall 3 year old can. If it’s a once in a lifetime trip, parents really should look at the height of their kid(s), rather than their age.

My daughter was 2 1/2 and my son was 10 months. Both did great and just napped in the strollers! Also my son was able to get his 1st haircut there!

Ride eligibility is based on height, not age. A short 4 year old may not be able to experience all of these rides, while a tall 3 year old can. If it’s a once in a lifetime trip, parents really should look at the height of their kid(s), rather than their age.
I forgot to mention that by 4, kids are on average 40 inches tall and therefore satisfies the height requirement. Also, 4 is often the minimum age for emotional maturity for handling the fast rides for those who want to be on it. At 3, even if they happen to be over 40 inches, it may not be a good idea to let them on some rides. I would say that age is as important as height when it comes to a once in a lifetime deal. And if it really is once in a life time, the kid won't remember it later if WDW happened back when he was 3 or 4. It's better to be at least 6. However, one cannot always wait for the perfect time to do the "once in a life time trip" because there may be another baby coming later, and then another one, and it's never a perfect time to go to WDW. The next thing you know, the baby is 17 years old with a 4 year old brother, and neither have been to Disney World! If there is only going to be one kid, and the parents are sure that they will only take the kid to WDW one time, then the best time is definitely when the kid is 7 or 8 at least so that he will always remember it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!